It is very quiet in here!

Posted by: gonewiththewind

It is very quiet in here! - 11/13/15 12:41 PM

It is quiet, too quiet!! My hackles are raising.

Seriously, I am not sure I have seen a period with so little activity before. Is everything OK out there?
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/13/15 01:25 PM

Historically, this is the forum's slowest time of the year, absent some major catastrophe.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/13/15 01:56 PM

I personally feel that we are all experiencing "the quiet before the storm"...
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/13/15 01:57 PM

America, however, is dealing with unusual weather.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/13/15 02:10 PM

It is just one of my daily "stops" in the morning, and I am feeling the absence of the witty and informative banter.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/13/15 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
I personally feel that we are all experiencing "the quiet before the storm"...

Terrorist-attack in Paris, France.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34814203
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/14/15 01:20 AM

Ah h***. This is going to be Frances 9/11. Stay safe everybody.

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/14/15 02:05 PM

Since I have not heard from the French side of my family since I was six, I don't know if I have relatives who were affected or not. My grandmother is from Brittany, France but that may not mean anything today.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/14/15 02:32 PM

Ok, the timing of this thread a little spooky, Montanero.

All's well in my world, just very busy with two kiddos. Major job change in progress for me, so everything's a bit upside down right now, but hopefully the new, not so busy, normal will be established soon.

I do stop in regularly to read and learn, but I have been very lax on commenting. Apologies for not contributing. Love you guys and hope everyone is safe and well!
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/14/15 05:57 PM

I just finished moving from one acreage to another, then selling the old place. And, just delivered a major project to a client. It's been a four month marathon -- no time to post, but I have been lurking.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/15/15 07:14 AM

Work has been hectic for me. I took an Executive Chef job at a newish restaurant two months ago and it's been a lot of work getting things ship shape.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/15/15 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Work has been hectic for me. I took an Executive Chef job at a newish restaurant two months ago and it's been a lot of work getting things ship shape.

Congrats!

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/16/15 04:02 AM

Thanks. It's nice to be back in the saddle again.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/16/15 05:37 AM

good info at ETS but here and at other sites i feel i just don't have much to say anymore.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/16/15 05:38 AM

Yeah, congrats, Phaedrus! So what's an executive chef? Everything I know about the structure of a kitchen comes from Ratatouille. So does that mean you're like Chef Gusteau?

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/17/15 12:19 AM

I never saw the movie I'm afraid. The Exec is head of the kitchen, tasked with creating menus, hiring, ordering groceries, etc.
Posted by: Alex

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/17/15 12:46 AM

"Fallout 4" is out - the best post apocalyptic virtual survival world simulation ever. I've founded 3 shelter villages so far, organizing supply chains smile But, perhaps, it's quiet after some buzz about too much buzz (white noise, iirc) on the forum?
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/17/15 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

Congrats!

+1
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/17/15 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Yeah, congrats, Phaedrus! So what's an executive chef? Everything I know about the structure of a kitchen comes from Ratatouille. So does that mean you're like Chef Gusteau?

I love the funny honesty. Great post!!!!

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/17/15 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Alex
"Fallout 4" is out - the best post apocalyptic virtual survival world simulation ever.

After approximately twenty-four hours into a post-apocalyptic RPG, it got locked. I don't play video games so I don't know if I would be interested in this. It seems to me an RPG is better suited for a virtual survival simulation. You put yourself in the virtual survival situation and respond as you believe you would for given a situation.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: benjammin

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/21/15 06:07 PM

It can be a most excellent training tool.

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/21/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
It can be a most excellent training tool.

The post apocalyptic virtual survival video game or the post apocalyptic virtual survival RPG?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Pete

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/23/15 04:22 AM

YO Montanero

Hope you are doing OK.
I'm about 9 days late with a reply to your post.

I'm getting ready for a big trip outside the USA ... but I can't figure out where. all I want is a location where the people are honest and lead simple lives. But apparently that place doesn't exist any more :-) Hahahahahahahaha!!

cheers,
Pete

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/23/15 06:14 AM

Yes.

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/23/15 01:47 PM

Yes.

Benjammin, I'm asking you which one.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/24/15 03:54 AM

Why not both? I see some value in each.

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/24/15 02:17 PM

Why not both? I see some value in each.

I don't play games like Fallout 4 so I may be wrong; the problem I see is you don't play yourself. In an RPG you put yourself in the virtual survival situation and respond as you believe you would for the given situation.

As I said, after twenty-four hours of game time, the post-apocalyptic RPG got locked.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/24/15 06:10 PM

Jeanette, you are probably having in mind some real world post-apocalyptic RPG we don't know about? Or what is that about?

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/24/15 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Alex
Jeanette, you are probably having in mind some real world post-apocalyptic RPG we don't know about? Or what is that about?

Five years ago someone, by the screen name The Nobody, started a post-apocalyptic RPG. He did not have the drive to see it through so it died.

Having the drive and the permission, I rebooted the RPG. The Nobody never revealed the story to me so I had to come up with one of my own. I had help from an online friend I have known since I was a teen. Despite the fact my online friend helped to create a new plot, we constantly fought over it once the RPG began and it got locked.

The reboot was a combination of The Setting and Rules that The Nobody established, a bit of fantasy to drive the story and what I had researched then.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/24/15 09:23 PM

There was a discussion on the post-apocalyptic RPG in this thread:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=276349&page=1

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/24/15 11:51 PM

Thanks, looks like I have missed that event completely.

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/26/15 04:15 PM

You know, back in the 80s when we played dungeons and dragons we would set up rather elaborate scenarios and put our characters into them. It was interesting training in situational awareness, albeit in a programmatic model, very much similar to your rpg I suspect, excepting for all the critters we incorporated.

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/26/15 04:32 PM

As I mentioned, this first time it died because the then game master did nothing. The second time it got locked because of all of the confrontations with the person who co-created the scenario for the reboot.

Now there is no simulator.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: It is very quiet in here! - 11/29/15 02:06 AM

Well, it's still a good idea.