What would you take?

Posted by: ATN

What would you take? - 09/25/15 09:54 AM

Let's say you are traveling to a developing nation/country and will be spending 2 or 3 years before returning home. In general, you will have access to food and water of varying quality and will be in a remote location where resupply probably won't be possible. Besides proper attire that you are wearing for the location and minimal every day carry, what would you take? The limits are 1000 dollars and 75 pounds.
Posted by: adam2

Re: What would you take? - 09/25/15 01:53 PM

It depends on whether re-supply is actually impossible, or merely slow and expensive.
Most developing countries have markets or shops in which basic cheaper and lower technology goods can be purchased.

Water purification tablets, a bulk supply of 5,000 tablets should last several years.
Several flashlights and a few dozen lithium AA batteries.
Several multi tools or Swiss army knives.
Fire making kit
First aid kit.
That would be the basics for almost any situation, but a lot more MIGHT be needed.

A lot depends on the local availability of basic clothing etc.
Do you need to take a 3 year supply of underwear, shirts, socks and outer clothing ?
A dozen or more pairs of underwear, socks and t shirts can be worn out in 3 years, taking that many would use up a fair bit of the 75 pound allowance. Or can these be obtained locally ?
Unless the area is extremely remote, there will be local people, probably wearing clothes, from where are these obtained ?

Do the local people wear shoes ? if not, you can probably manage without, the pair that you are wearing on arrival should last 3 years of limited use. But if shoes or boots are needed for cold or rough terrain, then several spares pairs will be needed, again do you have to take these or can they be purchased locally.

What is the climate like ? long underwear, heavy clothes, and thick overcoats needed ? plus replacements for 3 years wear.

Staying in a building with cooking facilities and electric lights ? or camping ? Do you need to take enough matches for 3 years ? or just enough for any short term emergency.

Will you need a sleeping bag or blankets, and if so can these be purchased locally or must you take them with you ? You may need replacements, I would not count on even good quality blankets or a sleeping bag surviving 3 years of rough use.

Is a firearm needed for defence against human enemies, or dangerous wildlife. Is a permit or licence needed ? Ammunition for 3 years ?

To summarise, are we talking about 3 years of total self sufficiency, or about staying for the same time in a basic settlement where shoes, clothes, blankets and the like can be purchased.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: What would you take? - 09/25/15 02:02 PM

Interesting question - but please provide some more information. Will you be camping? - if so, a tent and sleeping bag appropriate for conditions are high on the list. Is there an internet connection? Cell phone capability? What will you be doing? You will need appropriate equipment for the task.

I like this question because I am currently assembling gear for an isolated digging project where resupply will be difficult, essentially not possible. We will be out for only a week, which helps a lot.

Whatever else is occurring, I would be sure to pack a good camera and accessories, a good notebook and writing instrument, at least a backpack of about 3000 cu in capacity, a good headlamp, and my fully accessorized Leatherman Wave. I would probably take my cell phone just for its ancillary functions and some means of charging the electronics (probably solar)
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: What would you take? - 09/25/15 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: adam2
Do the local people wear shoes ? if not, you can probably manage without, the pair that you are wearing on arrival should last 3 years of limited use.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much wishful thinking IMHO. Unless you're used to going barefoot it is incredibly difficult to get by without good footwear. In some regions the locals may not wear shoes and they do just fine, but that's because they've been doing it since a very early age. Not something our tender feet have ever been taught in the "civilized" world.

The importance of footwear is underestimated all the time. If you need to walk a lot (particularly if there are no other methods of transportation available) proper footwear is going to be very high on your priority list. Maybe more important than a knife or firestarting kit...

Unfortunately, most footwear these days is not particularly durable. I generally walk a lot, probably way above average, and in my experience even a good pair of boots rarely lasts more than 6 months to a year of regular use. Soles and uppers are rarely the problem but linings and paddings just fall apart after a while. So in any long-term situation I would definitely bring replacement footwear, and probably a fair bit more than just one extra pair if I were planning for a 2-3 year scenario.
Posted by: JohnN

Re: What would you take? - 09/25/15 07:03 PM

As noted, a lot of this depends, but without any details I'd be interested in a Goal Zero Sherpa 50 or 100 and their 20W folding solar panel.

Assuming it is legally and not otherwise counter-indicated I'd have a full size Ritter RSK with Wilkins Grip scales.

-john
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: What would you take? - 09/25/15 09:53 PM

I'm going to need more information:

1) Socio-political climate: Cultural norms, economic polarization, abusive/strong/weak/ineffective central goverment, degree and target of xenophobia/bigotry. If I'm going to a throughly bleeped-up corner of the world, a good portion of my budget is going to defensive measures and goods for bribes.

2) Actual climate - The Negev desert is not the Artic circle, which is not Myanmar.

3) Available lodgings - Am I staying in a permanent structure, base camp tent, or being nomadic?

Assuming tent, clothing, etc. is already taken care of:

1)Water purification (mechanical filter + tablets) $100 - 3 lbs lbs

2)Full medical kit including sterile instrumnts, SAM splint, charcoal, antibiotics, quik-clot, etc.) Largely dependent on locale $100 - 5 lbs

3) 2 way radio + directional antenna - $350 - 5 lbs

4) Solar charger for radio - $100

5) Mess kit and toiletries - $40 - 3 lbs

6) Misc (SAK, compass, cordage, fire, TP, duct tape, etc) - $100

7) Day bag $ 100 - 4 lbs

8) Duffel bag/container (75lb = vehicle transport) - $100 - 2 lbs

Total = $990, 29 lbs
Posted by: haertig

Re: What would you take? - 09/25/15 10:10 PM

"will be spending 2 or 3 years"
"resupply probably won't be possible"
"The limits are 1000 dollars and 75 pounds"

One gun, two bullets (one as a backup) to shoot myself in the head, should about do it.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would willingly travel to a destination like that with the meager resources you want to give them.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: What would you take? - 09/25/15 11:39 PM

Laptop and sat phone, solar charger, a couple of sawyer water filters, a couple of two liter water bladders, my desert battle rat knife, my leatherman wave, my cellphone and a sim card for the region, a robust pack of OTC meds, a spool of gorilla tape, several tubes of epoxy, a couple spools of 120 lb test Dacron fishing line. I'm sure there are a few other items I can't think of right now that I would want to include.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: What would you take? - 09/26/15 12:25 AM

Looking at this list of developing countries, I can't help but think *which* country you're going to is going to make a difference in what you prepare:

http://www.isi-web.org/component/content/article/5-root/root/81-developing

Can we get more specific?
Posted by: Pete

Re: What would you take? - 09/26/15 03:33 AM

Bingley - if it helps you any ... I am GOING to one of those countries. So your "abtract" question is not theoretical for me. In the next 10 weeks I have to decide EXACTLY what I will get, then acquire the equipment, and then GO!!!

Don't you love it - when life is real??!!

I will watch the answers here with some interest!!

Pete

Re: What would you take? - 09/26/15 03:52 AM

Pete, since the OP left his query in very general terms and hasn't offered any specifics, perhaps we could look at your situation and come up with some meaningful statements. You wouldn't necessarily need to label the specific country.....

It is interesting that none of has mentioned lugging along some cash - most places,money comes in handy....
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: What would you take? - 09/26/15 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
I'm going to need more information:...Total = $990, 29 lbs

not bad, might add
bicycle ~30lb +
motor kit ( ~11lb )
maybe for ~$300 (parts at least)
you could even run it on wood/coal smile
Posted by: Tjin

Re: What would you take? - 09/26/15 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Looking at this list of developing countries, I can't help but think *which* country you're going to is going to make a difference in what you prepare:

http://www.isi-web.org/component/content/article/5-root/root/81-developing

Can we get more specific?

Also 'developing' country is a rather broad term and doesn't reflect what you might find there.

It's sometimes rather odd to see a buzzing metropolis with highrises, shoppingmalls and supermarkets, while a few miles away people are still using horse carriages and farming with only handtools.

I actually noticed it's sometimes easier to get things in developing countries. Need to let something be made on sunday? Local contact makes a few phone calls and it's delivered later that day.

Re: What would you take? - 09/27/15 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Pete
Bingley - if it helps you any ... I am GOING to one of those countries. So your "abtract" question is not theoretical for me. In the next 10 weeks I have to decide EXACTLY what I will get, then acquire the equipment, and then GO!!!

Pete

OK, let me get this straight
$1000 & 75lb limit.
You will have local dress and food.
2-3 years unsupported
Developing country, but you can't tell us, or don't know, where.

I'm probably way off the mark, but the only thing that would send a person out for that long, unsupported, in a developing country, is missionary work in a country where missionary work is illegal. That means southwest Asia or the southern former USSR republics like Chechnya or Kazakhstan.

That means arid, or semi-arid with a big temperature range.

If you don't know exactly where you are going, consider backing out now.

Re: What would you take? - 09/27/15 07:04 AM

You've got a sharp eye, Mark. "2-3 years unsupported" also made me rather puzzled.
Posted by: Nomad

Re: What would you take? - 09/27/15 02:56 PM

First, is this a real scenario or hypothetical? If real, I strongly recommend you abandon the plan. If you don't already know the answer, then you probably do not have either the skills or understanding to be effective in whatever tasks motivate you to consider such a venture.

I travel a lot. Mostly in the Americas, but conversations with other travelers suggest similar circumstances to what I am about to describe.

No matter where you travel, there will be people. Many more people than you expect. If you stop anywhere, within minutes someone will be there to observe you. They live there, so everything necessary to support life is available. It may not taste good to you, or you may feel funny wearing it, but the basic needs will be there.

You need to bring things to help you obtain those necessary items. You can't bring two years worth of supplies. Seek advice of those that have traveled recently in the area. Find out how one acquires things. Cash usually works, but carrying two years of cash is a problem in itself. The solution here is not trivial. A functioning debit card for a in-county bank is one solution. I have found ATM's in very unlikely places. It is a funny world now-a-days. Very remote locations have internet access and in some secure place like a police station or community market, you will probably find an ATM.

Take a minimum of things you can obtain locally. Buy what you will need after you evaluate your situation.

I am fortunate in being to repair almost anything. I travel with a very small tool kit. Weighs about 1.5 lbs and contains a tool selection which has evolved over many years. It has become my primary “introduction to the community” item. I look for something to repair and fix it. Usually it is a simple but needed item . One or two visible projects and I can almost always become welcome in the community. And the more remote your location, the more important it is to become welcome in that community. Even if you are just passing through. Word travels faster than you do. The problem here is keeping the tools. In many places high quality tools are more valuable than gold.

You may not be skilled at repairs so try to find some skill that will help you contribute to the community.

Water is a problem. Many water sources contain things which do not affect the locals, but will put you in bed for days, or worse. I carry two small sawyer filters (active & spare) and use them...always. My favorite is a nalgene bottle with a sawyer filter inside. This allows me to fill from a source and not appear to be “scared” of the water. Every move you make will be intensely observed. Try to avoid making people think that their circumstances are sub-standard.

I have moved through many cultures and several countries. Even with experience, I find living at the community level (not in a gated “anglo” community) to be very difficult and stressful.

I would be interested in more detail about your venture.

Nomad.

Re: What would you take? - 09/27/15 07:27 PM

These coy, hypothetical propositions are driving me crazy. So let me propose something more concrete. I and two others will be traveling to Santa Rosa Island, 34N, 120,10' W (just off the California coast south of Santa Barbara) to dig some fossils for about a week. We will be camping out, with no readily available source of potable water and we will be essentially self supporting. A ranger will probably drop in once or twice during the project.

The climate is mild (overnight temps rarely dip below 50F), but winds can be quite robust (40 knots is commonplace). The vegetation is grassland with chaparral. For this reason, NO FIRES in camp, although they are allowed on the beach about a kilometer to the north - just far enough to be impractical. The whole point of camping on site is to put our time into the excavation and work related tasks, saving about four hours driving time each day.

Communication is a bit sketchy. I am told my provider can probably be reached from accessible high points and we will have a park radio - the island is part of Channel Islands National Park.

I am no stranger to this locality - I first visited it in 1982 and I think I have a pretty good handle on what we will need. On the other hand, I'll wager that the expertise on this forum will come up with something I haven't considered that will be quite useful...

This is all perfectly legal and above board - nothing occult or sleazy. Wouldn't want to tick off the authorities....

So....What would you take?
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: What would you take? - 09/28/15 02:41 AM

Nomad,
would you be willing to share your tool kit contents?
Posted by: haertig

Re: What would you take? - 09/28/15 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Nomad
I travel with a very small tool kit. Weighs about 1.5 lbs and contains a tool selection which has evolved over many years.

Basic kit - Duct tape and WD-40. Advanced kit: Add bailing wire. The weight adds up pretty close to 1.5lbs wink
Posted by: Nomad

Re: What would you take? - 09/28/15 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Famdoc
Nomad,
would you be willing to share your tool kit contents?

Yes. But I don't know how to post pictures here. I don't want to join any picture storage site.

Can someone provide instructions on how to display photos??

Nomad
Posted by: Russ

Re: What would you take? - 09/28/15 02:41 PM

Are pictures necessary? A tool list might be all that's needed.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: What would you take? - 09/28/15 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor

For Santa Rosa Island my immediate thoughts would be:
  • Communications -- If cell service isn't reliable I would consider a satphone, PLB, or perhaps a ham radio as being essential. The PLB would be my "default" choice. I would really like to have a communications plan that involved regular check-ins with a reliable person.
  • First Aid -- Covering boo-boos (with a focus on footcare) and traumatic injury.
  • Tools -- A full-size multitool, bit kit for same, duct tape, along with any tools needed for the purpose of the expedition.
  • Appropriate clothing and footwear, with clean socks to wear every day
  • Food, stove and fuel (assuming that the no fires rule doesn't apply to stoves)
  • A whole lot of water
  • Tent, mat, sleeping bag
  • Flashlights and batteries
  • Something to read before bedtime

Re: What would you take? - 09/28/15 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Nomad
Yes. But I don't know how to post pictures here. I don't want to join any picture storage site.

Can someone provide instructions on how to display photos??

Nomad

Go to full screen reply
Below the bottom of the text field, there is a blue text "File manager" link.
The file manager will allow you to upload local (on your computer, cell, etc) files to your ETS forum posts.

Re: What would you take? - 09/28/15 05:18 PM

I never forget my teddy bear, and neither should you!
Posted by: ATN

Re: What would you take? - 09/29/15 10:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Pete

Pete

OK, let me get this straight
$1000 & 75lb limit.
You will have local dress and food.
2-3 years unsupported
Developing country, but you can't tell us, or don't know, where.

I'm probably way off the mark, but the only thing that would send a person out for that long, unsupported, in a developing country, is missionary work in a country where missionary work is illegal. That means southwest Asia or the southern former USSR republics like Chechnya or Kazakhstan.

That means arid, or semi-arid with a big temperature range.

If you don't know exactly where you are going, consider backing out now.

At the moment, I'm not going anywhere and don't have any plans to do so in the immediate future. I have seen other people do somewhat long term volunteer/ missionary trips although I never got the full details of their trip. Factors like climate would certainly play a role but I was curious about some of the basics on such a trip.

Re: What would you take? - 09/29/15 09:29 PM

I would think it imperative to understand the customs and social situations where you will be spending time. There are places where it is a grave insult to show the bare soles of your feet, for instance; or to point with your finger.....

Re: What would you take? - 09/29/15 11:10 PM

I would think it imperative to understand the customs and social situations where you will be spending time. There are places where it is a grave insult to show the bare soles of your feet, for instance; or to point with your finger.....

Trying to hitch a ride with your thumb in Russia, Mideast, or North Africa will probably get you run over. Like "V" for victory or peace, with your palm in, while in most english speaking countries, it's the regional equivalent to the bird.

Handling anything communal with your left hand in the Mideast or Asia Minor is a good way not to get invited back. Ever. Your left hand was, historically, for cleaning your rear.
Posted by: Alex

Re: What would you take? - 10/02/15 01:09 AM

Yeah, that's a way too wide question. My first thought after reading news all day was: is he going to join ISIS? laugh Seriously, typical volunteers are usually invited by those countries in need somehow and definitely not for just surviving off the land somewhere in a desolated desert with no people around. Almost certainly some survivable living conditions will be provided for them. So I would concentrate on:

1. Personal entertainment. For me that would be a decent tablet with plethora of software, games, ebooks, manuals, music, video, learning courses, podcasts collection, family photographs... But usually Internet is also available at least at some spots around, even deep in the Africa. But, perhaps, you might consider investing in a long range directed WiFi link extender. Make sure you know how to install it, and take it with you (there are models you don't have to hook to the base camp router, just arrange its powering with the owner of the base hotspot). Don't forget about the solar charger (7-40W) and a battery powerbank. Though, most likely you will have a normal power outlet in your shelter, - the power may not be readily available when you need it (e.g. in N.Korea the light is centrally turned off at night for energy conservation).

2. Personal health. I'd take all possible immunizations viable for the region beforehand. The SteriPen for water sterilization (entertainment charging solutions above will make it work indefinitely, just make sure you have at least 2 spare sets of rechargeable batteries for it) - mandatory in equatorial countries like India. Assemble a serious enough emergency FAK with trauma kit and chronic meds you need. Stock on multivitamins for the period. Get most durable outer clothes and footwear you can afford for the expected climate.

3. Making friends. Make your "entertainment kit" suitable for enjoyment by a small party (multiple game controllers, amplified audio, maybe stereo glasses or/and small DLP projector). Load it with information about the country you are visiting, including foreign language aids, some books, music, and movies in local languages if possible. Perhaps, you can master some locally popular board, table, or field game. Depending on the age of your gonna be friends, I'd bring a bunch of small but useful or entertaining gifts to give out. Tiny MP3 players with earphones, small multi tools, keychain flashlights, fishing lures, pocket games - what comes to mind. Perhaps, collectors items like post stamps, postcards, coins... If not directly for your friends - then for their children. Avoid USA symbolics on your gifts though, in many developing countries that might cause troubles if not for your then for your new friends (however, in some countries that could surely have a totally opposite effect to your benefit).

At any rate, learn the region's culture and needs. Perhaps, you could master a sustainable skill or two which are in high demand there, so you can trade it for some local amenities or obtain personal preferencies. Take with you all the necessary tools to efficiently practice them for locals.
Posted by: Alex

Re: What would you take? - 10/02/15 06:21 AM

Trying to hitch a ride with your thumb in Russia, Mideast, or North Africa will probably get you run over.

I must vouch for Russia - hitchhiker's thumb-up is well known and respected there. Even though its original meaning is closer to "OK"/"Great" smile
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: What would you take? - 10/02/15 04:07 PM

Handling anything communal with your left hand in the Mideast or Asia Minor is a good way not to get invited back. Ever. Your left hand was, historically, for cleaning your rear.

Not just historically. There are still lots of places on this planet where toilet paper is a scarce commodity. So you'd better bring your own personal supply unless you're completely comfortable with the old school alternative...

Re: What would you take? - 10/02/15 08:16 PM

Nomad's post about his tool kit got me thinking about what I would need to jerry rig a repair on a car or other piece of equipment while on the far side of nowhere. Keeping in mind the "small and light" constraints needed for travel, here goes:

1) 4 inch, needle nose, vice grips - Irwin 4LN -2.1 oz
2) 4 inch crescent wrench - Stanley Proto J704S - 2.1 oz
3) MT/SAK/other with scissors and file, and bit kit - Victorinx workchamp - 7 oz + LM bit kit - 4 oz.
4) 50 ft mechanics wire (19 ga stainless) - 1.6 oz
5) High temperature epoxy - JB weld 8297 - 2.1 oz
6) 10 ft Silicone "fusing" tape - Duck Brand 442055 - 1.6 oz
7) 1.5 and 2 inch hose clamps - 2.8 oz
8) Duct tape flat pack (5 yards) - generic - 2 oz
9) waxed nylon or polyester thread (30-50 lb test) and upholstery needles - 2 oz

Total weight = 27 oz (1.7 lbs)
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: What would you take? - 10/02/15 10:58 PM

Nomad's post about his tool kit got me thinking about what I would need to jerry rig a repair on a car or other piece of equipment while on the far side of nowhere.

I took a slightly different approach with my "car problems" specific module.
  • Galvanized wire
  • Tire plug kit
  • Alumaseal
  • Rescue Tape
  • Auto fuse assortment

Other modules already have tools:
  • LM Surge, bit kit and extender
  • Large channel lock pliers
  • Small socket set
  • Duct tape