KeySmart -- unnecessary weight or smart organizer?

Posted by: Bingley

KeySmart -- unnecessary weight or smart organizer? - 05/30/15 04:42 AM

I can't decide whether KeySmart is worthwhile. What do you guys think?

http://getkeysmart.com
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: KeySmart -- unnecessary weight or smart organizer? - 05/30/15 08:30 AM

Its fashion/jewlery smile
Looks like it has potential as a a great fad/impulse buy ... hah of course its kick started jewlery
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: KeySmart -- unnecessary weight or smart organizer? - 05/30/15 02:19 PM

I decided to not get one. It looks like it adds weight to your pocket without significantly reducing bulk. It also seems like it would be harder for you to carry non-key things.
Posted by: Alex

Re: KeySmart -- unnecessary weight or smart organizer? - 06/02/15 07:52 PM

A friend of mine shaved off all of his keys' handles, drilled holes in each resulting narrow piece, and then beaded each on a single fat split ring, which works as a common handle perfectly. I believe he has saved about 50% on the weight and bulk of his keys that way. I think you could employ that method with the KeySmart, to compensate for the added weight. Though, their bolts could be too big, so you will need to compensate for that when shaving as well.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: KeySmart -- unnecessary weight or smart organizer? - 06/02/15 09:16 PM

IMHO, you'd be better off with a traditional key case/wallet. It will add a little weight, but it's less likely to get tangled, or scratched, up with the rest of the ballast in your pocket.

Option two is to get, or make, a key silencer.

Option 3 is a cable or ball chain ring
Posted by: haertig

Re: KeySmart -- unnecessary weight or smart organizer? - 06/03/15 02:32 AM

We've gone to high quality pushbutton combination locks on all our doors (three houses). The only key I need to carry now is the car key. I hate keys in my pockets, even the single car key is annoying.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: KeySmart -- unnecessary weight or smart organizer? - 06/03/15 08:03 PM

That's not a bad idea if your have the dough($75-$250/lock). I wouldn't mind seeing something similiar for cars as getting locked out of your car seems to be more common then getting locked out of your house.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: KeySmart -- unnecessary weight or smart organizer? - 06/04/15 01:22 AM

Some Fords have combination door pads. Mother's older Explorer has it.