Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet?

Posted by: MartinFocazio

Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 05:07 PM

Last week, while I was on business in New York City, my wallet was stolen. It was under 30 seconds of poor "situational awareness" on my part while paying for parking at an indoor garage, and it was gone.

I know exactly who did it, I know how they did it, and when the police arrived, they told me there was nothing I could do about it and it's not even worth filing a report. That's all I'm going to say about HOW the wallet was stolen. It can happen to you.

So, there I am, one block off of Times Square, with no money, no cards, no identification and a 2.5 hour drive home. Now what?

Well, I still had my iPhone, so I first called American Express. Why? Because I wanted to cancel the card, of course, but also because of what I knew the full name of American Express actually is, and that is American Express Travel Related Services.

Cancelling the card was simple enough, but now I needed some cash, partly because I wanted to fill up the gas in my car and partly if the car broke down and I needed to get a tow or something. After a bunch of questions about my history with Amex and some questions based on stuff you can find on my credit report, they gave me the information I needed to walk over to a Western Union office and get some money. That was good. They also arranged to overnight a replacement card to me - for free. That was also good.

While on the phone with American Express arranging cancellations and all that, I texted my wife and told her what happened. These was a bit of distrust on the part of my wife answering texts from what she could not be sure was actually me or just someone who managed to get my phone and passcode. A quick phone call to discuss that it was, in fact me, texting her and she was able to proceed with killing other cards. In the fire safe, I have a folder with Marty's Important Documents. In there is a photocopy of all the cards (front and back) that I keep in my wallet, my most recent expired driver's license and passport and other Really Useful Information. She was able to kill off all the other cards. She was also able to send me a picture of my current driver's license from the copy. While the photo of the license is not legal identity, I expected (and later confirmed with a cop I know well) that if I presented the picture of the license and they ran the number and it was legitimate, I would not have any "problems".

I got home with no issues, and the next day, went to the Driver's License Center with my old expired license and was out the door in 8 minutes with a shiny NEW license. Stopped by the bank and got a new ATM card, and when I got home, my Amex card had already been delivered.

I'll point out that other credit card companies did NOT offer to overnight a replacement card for free, and simply cancelled the card and said a "replacement will be there in 3 to 10 business days". Thus far, no other cards have been replaced yet. My credit is "locked" at all three providers, which is a pain in the buttocks, but I'm glad it's set up that way for just such an emergency.

So, what worked, what didn't?

What Worked:
American Express. Without a doubt worth the annual fee.
Keeping Expired Cards. Made the new driver's license process trivial.
Copies of cards in the wallet. Not as vital as expected, but still very handy to get an inventory of who needs to be called.
Western Union. They delivered the cash sent by Amex no issues at all.
No Access Codes in the Wallet. There was nothing in my wallet that could be used to access any of my online account or PIN numbers or anything like that. As an aside, I use unique, maximally complex per-service passwords and 2-factor authentication where available.

What Didn't Work

Filling A Wallet. Carrying a "single point of failure" - a wallet - is a Bad Idea. It's a habit I fell into, I used to be much better at keeping my documentation, currency and such decentralized, but New York is "local travel" for me, so I didn't follow the same level of document/currency management safety I do when on an "out of town" trip. That was foolish and won't happen again.

Not having a second valid ID. Technically, you don't need to show ID to fly or move about the United States. In reality, you need to show ID to fly and move about the United States. I can't get into 99% of the buildings where I meet clients without a photo ID. If this had happened in any other city, it would have been a much bigger hassle.

According to the TSA, acceptable IDs for screening purposes include:

- U.S. passport
- U.S. passport card
- DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
- U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
- Permanent resident card
- Border crossing card
- DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
-Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent) for the sole purpose of identification
- Native American tribal photo ID
- HSPD-12 PIV card
- Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
- Foreign government-issued passport
- Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential identification.

I don't like the idea of carrying my passport book around with me all the time, but the Passport Card looks like a good solution for domestic travel, and you can have both the card and the book, so I'll be getting the Passport Card which will serve, basically, as my "national identity card" (a document that is commonplace outside the USA).

In the end, it was an unpleasant disruption to my life, but not a catastrophic loss. Nothing in the wallet was irreplaceable and prior planning ensured that the process of getting back in order was as streamlined as possible.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 06:06 PM

Good Information, but one thing I found disturbing was you being told that it is not worth filing a (police) report. First, it sounds like the police officer was being lazy, but putting the best face on it, maybe he just meant that there was zero chance of the guy getting caught and of getting your stuff back. In that regard, he was probably correct.

But making a police report can be vitally important for other reasons. Suppose (like some people do) you had a blank check in your wallet, and with all the other id etc., the bad guy was able to cash the check and get clean out your checking account. You go to the bank and tell them it was fraud, etc, etc. They ask you: Did you file a police report? Respond yes, and they replace your money and take the loss. Respond no, and they say, sorry, there is nothing we can do for you. (This is the actual policy of several banks where I live.)

Likewise, if you had to make a claim with your insurance company, they may also ask if you filed a police report, with similar results as the Bank scenario above.

I don't think these policies are unique to my local area. I would have thought the police officer would know that you might need to make a formal report for the above reasons, and at least mentioned it to you.

My advice is to always file a police report and get whatever documentation of it that you can. You really want to be able to answer "yes, and here is a copy." It is the job of the police to take the report, even if they don't think anything will happen and that the bad guy will never be caught.

But I'm glad that all worked out well.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 07:00 PM

The police were clearly willing to do a report if I pushed it, but they were very clear that I'll never see the wallet again. The cop in question was my brother, who's been a cop for over 10 years. I trust his judgement on this.

As far as some of your other points.

I left out a few things that are NOT in my wallet.

I don't carry checks normally. Here's why.
http://www.idtheftcenter.org/Fact-Sheets/fs-126.html

But there's more reasons.

First of all, hardly anyone around here accepts them anymore and I find them to be the least secure payment instrument possible, worse than cash.

The very few times I personally need a check (less than 5 times a year), the payee and usually the amount is filled out before it is carried to the Place That is Stuck in the Dark Ages and Does Not Understand Payment Cards At All (the department of motor vehicles most typically). In no case would I ever carry a blank check around normally.

Not really clear on "claim with insurance company." For what? A $25 wallet? The cash I claim was in it? OK, I could say I had $1,000 in cash in there,I could say $10,000. No sane insurance company will insure cash, police report or not.

All of my cards were killed within 15 minutes, there were no transaction attempts on any of them (I asked). It is FAR simpler to stop a payment card than to deal with a rogue checking account.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

Not really clear on "claim with insurance company."

Just a general caution, clearly not relevant in your case, but you would be amazed (or maybe not) at what some people carry or wear (jewelry, expensive watches etc.) I've had my car broken into twice, once in NYC in a commercial parking lot and DW was pepper sprayed and robbed on the street in Hollywood. We never carry anything in public that we aren't ready to lose.

Your brother was the cop--wow, I hope no offense was taken; you and he have my apologies in any case. blush
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 09:00 PM

Can you provide more details about how exactly your wallet was stolen?

By the way, there has got to be a special place in hell for a person who steals a wallet or cell phone. Personally, getting my cell phone stolen is more disruptive.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 09:23 PM

It sounds like you handled as well as possible. I've since learned to split up my wallet when I go into locales with pickpocket problems. A money clip with cash and a single credit card, and a card holder with my driver's license, insurance cards, ATM card, and ICE information. The card holder gets put in a hidden pocket or inside my jacket. The money clip shares my front pocket with my keys.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 09:25 PM

Oh, if it was anything expensive and tangible, I'd file a claim for sure and have a police report.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 09:36 PM

Sent a PM.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 09:43 PM

I would still have filed a report just to have more documentation for when they do catch the guy doing something else. If it was a parking garage in NYC, there are cameras. There may have been some identifying footage.

I carry 2 wallets. One that is larger and looks like a normal wallet that has no credit cards or IDs. It has photos, membership cards, discount cards. A small wallet carries my IDs and credit cards and is kept in another pocket. My cash is in a front pocket separate from both wallets.

I do like the way you document all of your cards and IDs. I will do that right now!
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 09:43 PM

another reason to carry additional cash separately... in your bag, kit or 'other.'
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 10:03 PM

I have a spare wallet in my car glove comaprtment
It has some cash along with copies of several ID's

Funny thing in my case; is that it was this spare wallet that was stolen
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 10:07 PM

Good AAR, thank you.

I grew up in New York. I was robbed when I was about twelve -- they got about $3 and a medical insurance card, plus the wallet itself.

My encrypted password database has a section with all the information from everything in my wallet, and another for all the information from everything in my wife's wallet. No photocopies handy but I can grab a scan of my driver's license from my online backup service with a bit of effort.

I quail to think of how much of a pain it would be for me, with three concealed carry permits along with everything else. Time to review the database and see if anything changed that needs to be updated.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/10/14 11:59 PM

The police report is for if they manage to get anything with your cards before they were cancelled. Any time I've had or known someone else who had a card number used the bank requires the police report number to cancel the charges.

Our DMV takes your previous license before you get a new one so we don't get to keep our expired license.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/11/14 08:55 AM

I keep spare money in a money belt and spare money in a little combiantion keysafe in the car. Always money to get home/get things done.

As for cards, I rarely carry my creditcard (not really sued in europe), so can't comment on that.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/14/14 01:54 AM

Agree with filing a police report. My entire luggage and wallet were stolen and the police report was needed to file an insurance claim. My $60 cash in wallet was part of that. I filed a claim for around $700 and had to replace apartment key, credit cards, drivers license, etc. Luckily I had a second car key at home. We were in a rental on the snowshoe trip to Taos, NM.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/14/14 01:58 AM

Ask at the DMV to keep your last card and some will clip off the corner and let you have it.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/14/14 05:29 PM

Last time I was there they slid the old one into the slot of a metal lockbox like those safes you see behind the gas station counter so the clerk can't get $ out. So I don't think they have a choice to give it back.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/15/14 02:16 AM

It varies state to state. If you can't keep your expired license pay a few dollars and get a state ID card to go with your license.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/15/14 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
If it was a parking garage in NYC, there are cameras. There may have been some identifying footage.

The camera recording system was "accidentally unplugged" - I tried that angle right away and saw that the plug was, indeed, out of the recording equipment. Should not even be possible. It was.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/15/14 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
The police report is for if they manage to get anything with your cards before they were cancelled. Any time I've had or known someone else who had a card number used the bank requires the police report number to cancel the charges.

It took under 10 minutes to cancel all the cards, and we asked each card supplier if there were any transactions, because if they were, they were fraudulent. There were no transactions. Also, you do not need a police report cancel charges, I used to work with a credit card issuing bank (a client) and learned all about the fraud and liability laws. Protip: Never use a debit card for anything but as your ATM card (if that's how your bank doe it).

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/15/14 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: jshannon
Agree with filing a police report. My entire luggage and wallet were stolen and the police report was needed to file an insurance claim. My $60 cash in wallet was part of that. I filed a claim for around $700 and had to replace apartment key, credit cards, drivers license, etc. Luckily I had a second car key at home. We were in a rental on the snowshoe trip to Taos, NM.

If it was more than my wallet, I would have done the report. My total cost to replace the wallet and everything in it was less than $100, it's hardly worth the effort.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/16/14 02:31 PM

Protip: Never use a debit card for anything but as your ATM card (if that's how your bank doe it).

Debit cards are evil. With them you are guilty until proven innocent, and nearly entirely based upon the mercy of the issuer.

When my bank changed from ATM card to debit cards, I insisted that they deactivate the debit function.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/16/14 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
... When my bank changed from ATM card to debit cards, I insisted that they deactivate the debit function.
That is a great idea. I only use mine as an ATM card so I'll lose nothing by disabling the debit card function. Thanks.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/16/14 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Protip: Never use a debit card for anything but as your ATM card (if that's how your bank doe it).

Debit cards are evil. With them you are guilty until proven innocent, and nearly entirely based upon the mercy of the issuer.

When my bank changed from ATM card to debit cards, I insisted that they deactivate the debit function.

Excellent advice! You have many more protections with a credit card. We use a credit card for all purchases, and pay the bill off in full when it comes in. In theory, with a debt card you only spend what you have in your account, but in practice, many many people overdraw and incur overdraft fees. Now, you have the option to opt out of the bank overdrawing your account, but that can leave you without the ability to use your card for anything---just like as if you were totally out of cash. Murphy's law says this will happen at the worst possible time.

The biggest criticism we hear about our use of the credit card is that it is too much of a temptation to "overspend" and "run up debt." The cure for this is self discipline and knowing what you have to spend, or, maybe, "financial situational awareness."
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 11/20/14 04:24 PM

You'll need to check with your insurance agent/company to be sure, but, depending on the type of homeowners or renters policy you have, and the state you are in, you may have coverage for stolen cash in your wallet (in kentucky there is coverage up to the amount of $200, this is the minimum amount on any broad form contents coverage, such as a homeoners or renters policy, and some companies will bump it up to add increased value to the homeowner's policy).

Now, that said, most folks have a $500 deductible, and if it was not an undue financial burden do you really want to file a small claim like that and maybe have your rate go up at the renewal because of it? My parents got into trouble on their homeowners policy before because they filed several small claims they really shouldn't have, then when they really needed it on some larger claims they were nearly cancelled due to filing too many claims.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 04/21/15 12:51 AM

cash in my keychain capsule
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 04/21/15 03:24 PM

What a hassle but you certainly were better prepared for it (copies of the cards, ID) than most people.

I keep $100 in small bills hidden in my car.

Posted by: Pete

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 04/22/15 02:36 PM

I'd like to know exactly how Martin's wallet was stolen too.

I had a moment of panic 2 months ago when I left my wallet in the local supermarket. But fortunately they were honest, and they kept it for me the next day.

Martin's PRIMARY point is excellent ... a wallet is a "single point of failure". That's a great insight, and I will change that situation this week! Thanks Martin!!

Pete
Posted by: Pete

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 04/22/15 02:39 PM

"If it was more than my wallet, I would have done the report. My total cost to replace the wallet and everything in it was less than $100, it's hardly worth the effort."

You're LUCKY. Here in California you would need to stand in line at the DMV for 4 hours, just to replace your drivers license. It would probably take a month to replace ALL the stuff in my wallet.

The lost time and energy, and the increased STRESS, would be a major problem.

Pete

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 04/22/15 02:45 PM

I shudder to think of what it would cost me in time to replace several concealed carry permits and my passport card. My driver's license would be the easiest one of the bunch.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 04/22/15 04:26 PM

Also, clean out the extra stuff in there you don't need. Keep less used stuff in your bag or car -- loyalty cards, for instance
Posted by: Alex

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 04/22/15 10:50 PM

My wife's wallet had been stolen from her car (she forgot to lock it) recently. I have blocked all three cards in about 10 minutes, but the thief managed to use Visa at the gas station for $60 (he has probably successfully guessed the zip code of the nearby city she was from, or may be knew it already as the license plate's frame on that car is still holding the Albany Subaru dealership phone and name; I must remove that, I guess). Then, I have filed the police report over the phone, with no expectation of any help, but I knew it's important to the legal protocol. And finally, I made a DMV request for stolen card online. Next day my DW got a temporary licence slip at the local office after a couple hours in the line. Replacement cards arrived within a week.

I'm personally just don't carry a _real_ wallet. My SeV Vest has 28 pockets for everything when traveling/lurking around, including a hidden pocket for a spare ATM card with photo (BofA) - OK as an ID in most of the places. My office EDC business suit jacket, on other hand, has a special inconspicuous pocket for credit/business cards. In case of a robbery I plan to give up the pouch with almost empty (but current) credit union card and my emergency bus money ($20 + $4.50) smile Also I have images of all of my (and my DW and DS) papers and cards on my phone, so I can close stolen cards right away. The phone is self-locking with a password when I'm out of reach of home/work WiFi hot spots, plus I have a copy on a microSD card, which is in the USB/OTG reader on my key chain (I can use it on a computer or on other smartphone).

In the car I have a $50 visa gift card stashed in some random papers in the glove box. The card is better than cash, because some gas stations work in automatic mode only at night (no cashier on duty). I had a situation once, when I forgot my mighty vest with everything in its pockets at home (took the older one, which is identical, but empty, just by mistake), and had been happily solo driving for about 3/4 of the tank before decided to fill up. I've stopped at some rural gas station a bit too late for a graceful return straight back home (if that would be at least 40-50% of the tank left - I would do just that, as I know from practice that the consumption is noticeably less with a 50% lighter tank). The young man at the gas station was kind enough to agree to enter my credit card number into the cashier machine (as they usually do if the magnetic stripe does not work - that was my arguments point) using the card's image from my phone, but I gave him too much time to think, while being looking for that image location on my new phone, so meanwhile he has called his manager, and she has stopped the "transaction" smile Thanks to a nice homeless local Samaritan lady, who gave me, a stranger $10. That was exactly what got me out of trouble and back home. I consider that a pay back for helping one poor guy refueling his truck at another semi-rural gas station some years ago. I have filled his jerrycan for about the same amount once.

Also, I usually have a $100 bill crumpled in a small "bullet", wrapped in the foil, and tamped into the tiny aluminum screw top pills fob on my key chain (but don't tell anyone!).

I wish to have an RFID chip in the palm's skin of my hand, and at least a country wide infrastructure to use it everywhere as a final point of ID and the payment authorization. Freaky, but truly an ultimate solution smile

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 04/22/15 11:03 PM

One thing I never understood is why people leave wallets in their car.

I carry a spare wallet in my BoB. I have two credit card accounts at two different banks, one in each wallet with some cash in each. Only thing that can't be easily duplicated is ID, though some have suggested going to the DMV and paying for a replacement license due to loss so I could have a spare but I imagine that may not work long term.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 04/22/15 11:38 PM

My wallet is always, without exception, in one of three places: my hands, my dresser, or my right front pocket. I ratchet up my situational awareness when it comes out of my pocket, especially in crowded areas. I had my pocket picked about thirty years ago and there was nothing in it of consequence. Since then I've had one pickpocket try me, but it didn't end so well for him. I'm sure his wrist was sore for a while.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 04/23/15 12:49 AM

Quote:

I know a guy that does that. It's from where he has a relatively thick wallet and carries it in his rear pocket. It can get to be uncomfortable sitting on it for a long time and he has an hour commute to the office.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 04/23/15 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Eugene

In that particular case she went for jogging in the park, so she left everything in the car, under the top clothes pile. The thief also took one of my car BOBs from the trunk, but fortunately the most crucial (and expensive) stuff was in the second cheap looking duffel bag, which is extremely heavy and awkward to move out. So, I lost only some storm weather clothes/footwear and the small backpack.
Posted by: Basecamp

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 05/07/15 06:06 PM

Last week, while I was on business in New York City, my wallet was stolen. It was under 30 seconds of poor "situational awareness" on my part while paying for parking at an indoor garage, and it was gone.

I know exactly who did it, I know how they did it, and when the police arrived, they told me there was nothing I could do about it and it's not even worth filing a report. That's all I'm going to say about HOW the wallet was stolen. It can happen to you.

Some considerations come to mind regarding the filing of a police report:

-Police reports of classified crimes are what are used to create crime statistics, which are used to determine the amount of resources needed to address crime.

-In CA, but unknown regarding NY, if the wallet (or any item) was taken from your pocket, your hand (your "person"), or even if it was somewhere away from you and contained more than $400, it would be a felony. Even if it was not recovered, that is another felony stat to show what crimes are occurring and need to be addressed.

-Again in CA, if you filed a report and items taken included identifying info such as credit cards and drivers license, and a person is found to possess any of the items that can be identified, they can be charged with a felony. Even if it cannot be proven that they stole the property, they are in possession of stolen property. That discovery is very useful and usually leads to evidence of other crimes. Taking a criminal off the street prevents others from suffering the same crimes.

I can see a situation where you may opt not to report, but I'm not understanding it here.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 05/07/15 06:15 PM

I would file a police report. If the guy uses my credit cards or does anything else with my identity, a police report is my strongest proof that it wasn't me.

Re: Are prepared for a Stolen Wallet? - 05/07/15 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
I would file a police report. If the guy uses my credit cards or does anything else with my identity, a police report is my strongest proof that it wasn't me.

This is really important if the loss of the wallet turns into any "new account" identity theft, which is much harder to deal with than when the identity thief exploits existing accounts.

As a rule I always file the police report.