Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler

Posted by: MartinFocazio

Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/24/14 08:19 PM

Due to overwhelming demand (well, 2 people, so far), I'm going to provide some travel tips with an equipped perspective.

Why? Because I travel all the freaking time and have learned lots about what you need vs. what you think you need while traveling.

You can always spot the experienced traveller at the airport, because they look like this:

The inexperienced travelers look like this:

This is The Main Rule: Don't Pack More Than You Need.
The corollary to this rule is: You don't need as much as you think you need.

Everywhere I go, I am always able to find the essentials:
- Food
- Water
- Clothing
- Shelter
- Coffee

Further, the more I travel the more I am exposed to the mature processes and deep infrastructure that support the travel systems of various places. Yes, there are delays and unanticipated situations, but for the most part, once you've been through a few anomalous events while traveling, you're exposed to a system that wants you to pass through it without issues and is equipped to do so.

For example, on my flight home from the UK last week, just as soon as they turned off the "Fasten Seatbelt" sign, the guy behind me stood up, passed out, and fell in the aisle. The flight attendants moved instantly, obviously well trained, and equipped with oxygen and other equipment, attended to the person, who woke up in a little bit. While I have the training needed to help, I didn't have to - the best thing for me to do there was stay out of the way. I was on a flight from Philadelphia a few years ago where a drunk passenger made a threat and was dragged off the plane at gunpoint by an Air Marshall. I have been on flights that had to make emergency landings. I've been on flights that needed to "go around" at the last possible second. My point is this: on the plane, they already packed and planned for everything you might be worried about. First aid kits? Plenty. Food? Check. Water? Check. Communications gear? More than you can imagine. So I don't really worry about that stuff on the plane. While traveling, though, I do think about the things only I can pack for me.

OK, first two stories behind 2 major pieces of advice, then on to the lists we all love so much here.

Don't use electronic boarding passes (on your phone). Print 2 Paper Copies Instead.
It's 4:45 AM in Los Angeles and I'm on the first flight back to the east coast. The TSA line is backed up out of the terminal and onto the street. My flight is at 6:55, which means I need to be in the plane at 5:45 at the latest. I have an electronic boarding pass. The TSA agents split the lines up, and send my group of about 200 people up the stairs, around the corner, down the hall and over there...I wait in line, and get to the front finally at 5:30, and...they don't have a means to scan the boarding pass, and without a paper pass to scribble on, they won't let me through. They can't help me at all, "you have to get a printed pass.." I miss the flight.
I now carry 2 printed boarding passes - i keep a spare copy in my bag in case I drop the first copy.

Be Nice To The Gate Agents, Always
Flying home from West Coast again, this time there's a 2+ hour weather delay. For reasons that I can't quite fathom, people are yelling at the gate agents about the delay. Stuff like, "What do you mean YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT?? I HAVE A MEETING IN THE AFTERNOON IN NEW YORK!!!" Really mean and nasty stuff. I approach the gate attendant, "Hi, can I yell about you for things that are totally out of your control?" The agent, playing along, says with a smile, "Why not? Everyone else does." I then tell him that, "My shoes are squeaky, what are you going to do about that? And my hotel bathroom was terrible, why didn't you fix that for me? And I'm getting coffee at Starbucks, do you want one?" He catches the last bit, and say, "If you're serious about the coffee, I'd love one. Milk, 2 sugars." I return a little bit later with the coffee. What an amazing coincidence! There was suddenly an opening in first class! And someone else was bumped for some reason. Someone with a meeting in New York.
But really, never, ever, vent on the gate agents or flight crew. They want to get there too. Be ready to buy them coffee or snacks.

So, let's talk about what to bring, and why.

The basic rule: there are 2 kinds of bags, carry-on and lost. I rarely, if ever, check bags, and if I do it's unwillingly or as a result of some external requirement like carrying special equipment. Aside from the risk of loss, there's the huge additional time at the end of the trip to collect the bag. Have 1 night's worth of clothing, toiletries and so on with you, always. Never check your one-night "personal item" bag. If they force you to check your roll-on, consider it gone forever until you actually have it again. You can - and should re-wear clothing. It's OK, really. Hotels have irons. I do laundry on longer trips. You can almost always find a washing machine and dryer. You don't need 30 outfits. You need work-appropriate attire, resting attire and perhaps a leisure time outfit. That's about it. I travel with at little as possible. But I do ensure that I have...

Enough Cash to get to an Airport from your furthest point of journey.
Generally, the equivalent of $300 to $500 in local currency is usually enough to get you from where you don't want to be to an airport that can get you on your way to where you want to be. It does not HAVE to be Local currency, but it helps. US $100 bills are a global currency, $20's work now and then in European countries. In fact, money - in the form of credit cards and cash, is far easier to pack and use than stuff.

Toilet Paper - a small "camp" roll.
Really, do I need to explain more? You'll thank me later.

A Small Towel
Just like they say in the book "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" it's all true.

A light duty extension cord.
Meet new people and make friends when you turn the last outlet at the airport into 3 with your extension cord. Bring an outlet adapter for international travel, you don't really need a voltage converter anymore, pretty much everything runs "global voltages"

A Collapsable Cup
Drink from it. Refill water bottles from shallow sinks. Wash your hair in a sink. If you get the fancy silicone ones, you can heat water in a microwave and make coffee.

A Nylon Rain Jacket with Hood
I have this one that folds down into a really compact pouch. Great for those times where you have to walk to the train in the rain.

Anti-Diarrhea Tablets - enough for 3 days of maximum dose.
The old adage of it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it has never been more true than with these miracles of medical science. I have missed meetings and been trapped in hotel rooms for lack of these. Don't assume they will have these at the hotel.

A local mobile phone.(International travel)
If you don't have a local phone, get one. If you have an unlocked GSM cell phone, buy a SIM at the airport when you land and put it into your local phone If not, buy an unlocked phone when you get there. Phones outside the USA are insanely cheap, so is mobile service, which you can buy by the day, minute or combinations thereof. Also, if you're not in the USA, the emergency phone number is different - in the UK it's 119. In other countries its 112. Having a local phone makes calling these numbers easier.

A bandanna
The most versatile piece of cloth you'll ever carry. It's a dust mask, it's a face cloth, it's a rope, it's a small bag.

A Battery Pack with USB Output You can charge nearly anything from USB these days. These little boxes are wonderful, I carry 2 of them, 2,400 mAh each.

N+1 Charging. If you're carrying "N" devices that use a particular charging cable, you need to carry N+1 cables & chargers. Carrying an iPhone and an iPad? You need 3 charging cables and 3 chargers. You will thank me for this one day.

An LED Flashlight. Because it's a flashlight and there's no good replacement for one. Find stuff in your bag. Find stuff on the floor on the plane.

Granola Bar/Clif Bar/Something like that. Because you get hungry.

Review The Swiss Tech Micro Tool Line to Find and Select That Stuff You Need To Fix Your Tool and Gadget Addictionn. I'm not going to go into specifics, all I'm saying is that some their stuff that I own has as many frequent flier miles as I do. Note that I don't check bags.

More to come when I have a moment.

Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/24/14 08:47 PM

Quote:
You can always spot the experienced traveller at the airport, because they look like this:

Are you sure this fellow wasn't just an American Traveler at Heathrow airport going home after a quick last minute drink in Soho and then black taxi ride to the airport? wink
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/24/14 08:57 PM

Great tips. Thank you!

I am shocked, shocked I tell you, to learn that you had a problem at LAX, that epitome of effortless modern air travel. I ##%^&##@ despise LAX and avoid it whenever possible. Burbank, John Wayne, Long Beach, or Santa Barbara are all better.

My rule is to fly from the smallest airport possible (in the US at least). My favorite is Rapid City, SD (because it is)

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/24/14 09:07 PM

Well, I know it wasn't me because I don't travel in pink underwear.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/24/14 09:39 PM

Excellent!

I can personally confirm most, if not all. A couple of random comments:

Carry on bags: You carry it, so you will be careful, so why do you need a hard side bag with wheels that starts off heavy, and is expensive to boot? I started using a nylon gym bag of the right carry on size (approximately) for my carry on. Light, cheap, and flexible so it will fit into various odd sized spaces.

Charger & Flashlight: Somewhere in our threads a while back someone recommended a cheap 4 AA battery USB charger which also has an led flashlight. AA batteries are available everywhere and cheap.

yes yes on the packable Nylon rain shell! Wear or carry a sweater and you are ready for (almost) anything.

"pretty much everything runs "global voltages"" It is the "pretty much" that will bite you. I needed a spare USB wall charger for my phone and went shopping before I left (carried 1 and 1 spare). Low and behold some of the secondary market chargers here were "110" only. Be sure (check) and also, make sure it will handle 1 amp; some on sale were much lower. They will work, but take longer to charge.

Mobile phone: I purposely got a GSM phone so I could swap sim cards. Only T-Mobile and ATT offer GSM phones and service in the US. Overseas, Sim card, 1 month service and 1 gig data was less then 10 bucks. The phone needs to be unlocked: check your carrier's unlock policy well before you go.

Cash Overseas: I've had US bills rejected because they were too old, marked up and/or worn. Take new and clean bills (100's and 20's).

I would add taking a supply of the packs of individually wrapped hand sanitizing towels. Aside from all the obvious uses, they don't have to go in the Quart bag like liquid hand sanitizer does and can be stashed all over in different pockets.

Has anyone thought about bringing a couple of those ear loop medical masks, just in case? I don't think I would recommend trying to wear one while going through security or passport control though. . .
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/24/14 11:19 PM

A few things to add:

Good shoes. My dress shoes are made by New Balance but don't look like it. I can really RUN in them.

I can move farther, longer, with a good backpack than with any other kind of bag. If the gym bag works for you, roll with it, but if you're going to hoof it over a mile to make a connection at O'Hare, you may thank me for the suggestions about the shoes and the backpack. Especially if you don't have double-digit minutes to do it.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/24/14 11:48 PM

Which NB shoes are those? I've seen some of their black leather cross-trainers, close but not quite...
Posted by: Blast

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
You can - and should re-wear clothing. It's OK, really. Hotels have irons. I do laundry on longer trips. You can almost always find a washing machine and dryer. You don't need 30 outfits. You need work-appropriate attire, resting attire and perhaps a leisure time outfit. That's about it. I travel with at little as possible.

While I don't travel nearly as much as Martin the places I go are usually very 3rd World-ish...because that's where the oil is. In regards to his advice, I just have to say I love ExOfficio GiveNGo underwear.
It's comfortable, quick drying, antibacterial, and generally awesome. However, the one downside is it is synthetic so in a fire you could end up with serious problems. For this reason I usually wear cotton on the plane and ExOfficio everywhere else.
-Blast

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: bws48

Carry on bags: You carry it, so you will be careful, so why do you need a hard side bag with wheels that starts off heavy, and is expensive to boot? I started using a nylon gym bag of the right carry on size (approximately) for my carry on. Light, cheap, and flexible so it will fit into various odd sized spaces.

Funny. I still use a roll-aboard, but more and more frequently I use a duffel bag because it's really light and easy.

Charger & Flashlight: Somewhere in our threads a while back someone recommended a cheap 4 AA battery USB charger which also has an led flashlight. AA batteries are available everywhere and cheap.

I prefer the block batteries to the AA ones, but any self-contained charger is a good charger.

yes yes on the packable Nylon rain shell! Wear or carry a sweater and you are ready for (almost) anything.

The baseline clothing & stuff package in the roll-on/duffel, this is always packed:
3x Underwear
3x Black Socks
1x White Socks
1x Work-quality sweater
1x T-Shirt
1x Sweatshirt
1x Sweat Pants
1x Pants (Black Jeans are "work wear" for me...)
2x Work Shirts (Usually Oxfords)
1x Swim Trunks/Shorts
1x Canvas Sneakers
1x Nylon Rain Shell (with hood!)
1x Downey "Wrinkle Release" spray (kind of works).
2x Plastic Grocery Bags (for sneakers and wet stuff)

Occasionally I add in:
1x Light blanket
1x Inflatable Pillow

"pretty much everything runs "global voltages"" It is the "pretty much" that will bite you. I needed a spare USB wall charger for my phone and went shopping before I left (carried 1 and 1 spare). Low and behold some of the secondary market chargers here were "110" only. Be sure (check) and also, make sure it will handle 1 amp; some on sale were much lower. They will work, but take longer to charge.

I check everything and discard the ones that don't run 100-240v 50/60hz Stick with Apple chargers for best results on all equipment.

Mobile phone: I purposely got a GSM phone so I could swap sim cards. Only T-Mobile and ATT offer GSM phones and service in the US. Overseas, Sim card, 1 month service and 1 gig data was less then 10 bucks. The phone needs to be unlocked: check your carrier's unlock policy well before you go.

Unlocked phones are easily found on Amazon.com, don't count on your carrier to do it if you're on a contract with a subsidized phone.

Cash Overseas: I've had US bills rejected because they were too old, marked up and/or worn. Take new and clean bills (100's and 20's).

Yes, I should have mentioned that - crisp, new notes are always better. Interestingly, if you know the exchange rate, it's amazing how many things that cost $150 in local currency cost only $100 in US currency.

I would add taking a supply of the packs of individually wrapped hand sanitizing towels. Aside from all the obvious uses, they don't have to go in the Quart bag like liquid hand sanitizer does and can be stashed all over in different pockets.

Oh, that's a great idea!

Has anyone thought about bringing a couple of those ear loop medical masks, just in case? I don't think I would recommend trying to wear one while going through security or passport control though. . .

Well, if you are in Asia, it's fairly common.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Which NB shoes are those? I've seen some of their black leather cross-trainers, close but not quite...

http://www.newbalance.com/men/shoes/casuals/dunham-by-new-balance/
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 04:03 AM

I also like the Comfort Mocs from LL Bean:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58464?page=womens-comfort-mocs

They are comfortable, easy on, easy off, and so cheap that you won't feel bad about scratching them.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 11:46 AM

I generally agree with Martin's post. I travel very frequently, sometimes overseas, and all of his ideas are good.

I travel in good walking shoes/boots. Even though I must take them off, it is not that much of a hassle. I do not want to find myself walking any distance in dress shoes. I always arrive early and try to time my passage through security for when there are fewer people going through. Because I am usually carrying a significant quantity of electronics, my bag usually requires hand searching anyway.

I purchase water as soon as I get through security, usually two bottles. Sometimes, depending on what I am doing and what my carry on luggage looks like, I will carry Nalgene bottles and fill them once through security.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 02:28 PM

One other tip - get to be seventy-five. Security is much easier, especially wearing decent shoes.

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Montanero

I purchase water as soon as I get through security, usually two bottles.
Sometimes, depending on what I am doing and what my carry on luggage looks like, I will carry Nalgene bottles and fill them once through security.

I refuse to buy water. It's just...just...infuriating. I put an empty bottle through.

Also, really, do the TSA Pre Check program. Keep your shoes on.
Posted by: yee

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
I just have to say I love ExOfficio GiveNGo underwear.
It's comfortable, quick drying, antibacterial, and generally awesome. However, the one downside is it is synthetic so in a fire you could end up with serious problems. For this reason I usually wear cotton on the plane and ExOfficio everywhere else.
-Blast

Why? In the event of catastrophic failure, inhalation injury is a far greater risk than actual burn injury. If the fire is sufficiently severe that groin burns are a possibility, the underwear won't save you.

By the rule of nines, the anterior and posterior torso constitutes about 36% of surface area. The legs are another 36%. The groin itself is only 1%; the total area covered by underwear is likely less than 4% Non-synthetic pants & T-shirt is of greater yield than underwear.

[addendum] Oops, I looked at a picture of the ExOfficio underwear. Coverage is from the umbilicus to just above the knee which IS a significant surface area, about 15-20%.

Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 03:38 PM

I love that underwear also. Very comfortable and easy to care for.

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 03:44 PM

I also wear ExOfficio GiveNGo u/w. They're boxer-briefs and cover halfway down my thighs; they are very comfortable. As for fire, ehh, I often wear RailRider's nylon trousers, usually VersaTac light, so a layer of nylon beneath that is the least of my problems.
Posted by: Ian

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 04:59 PM

I am a ham. Not only is it fun but it has been useful to be able to monitor airband in an airport and on the 'plane.

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Ian
I am a ham. Not only is it fun but it has been useful to be able to monitor airband in an airport and on the 'plane.

The use of any radio receiver onboard the planes I've been on has been expressly forbidden, per FAA 1-21.1B and related to Section 91.21, 121.306, 125.204, and 135.144

See: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91.21-1B.pdf

Here's what I could find in terms of airline policies, I only had a few moments to look it up:

Delta Airlines
Policy is only listed devices are permitted.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/s...ic-devices.html

You may use the following devices from gate to gate on Delta and Delta Connection flights:
• AM/FM or satellite radios
• digital and video cameras
• calculators
• Delta-installed equipment such as in-flight entertainment systems
• DVD players*
• e-readers
• electric shavers
• electronic/digital watches
• global positioning system (GPS) receivers
• handheld computer games
• headphones
• laptop computers*
• medical devices**
• noise reduction headphones
• portable media players*
• pagers
• smartphones and any device with cellular network service must be turned off or in airplane mode
• tablets and wireless keyboards or mouse

Jet Blue
http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(2218)#s4

The following items may not be used in the aircraft at any time:
Any device the crew believes to be causing interference
Gas hair curlers
Radio transmitters (ham, CB, etc.)
Radios: AM, FM, VHF (battery or cord operated)
Remote controlled toys
TV sets

United Airlines
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/devices.aspx
Devices that are permitted for use:

electronic games
personal computers
entertainment players
recorders (audio and/or video, such as tape/CD/MiniDisc/MP3 players and camcorders)
calculators
shavers
cameras
aircraft power ports for laptops.

Devices that are NOT permitted for use:

battery-operated personal air-purifying devices
TVs
radio receivers and/or transmitters (including AM/FM/SW, CB and scanners)
remote-control toys
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/25/14 10:50 PM

Well said, all. I now carry either a free-standing set of SAK scissors from a swisscard, or a set on emt shears, which seem to escape criticism and still cut things, as well as a mini-bic lighter in carry-on. Have added a poncho liner and collapsible rei walking stick to accommodate some age related napping and mobility needs. Synthetic underwear fan, too, like Blast, tho I am stunned to hear that he wears underwear at all-RPI grads of my acquaintance generally did not-or if they did, it was something in leather or latex.

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/26/14 12:00 AM

I really like Coghlans folding scissors. I've never tried taking them through airport security, but they're part of my EDC and at $3.75 if TSA takes them you won't be out too much. Put a second set in your checked bag. Scissors are so non-threatening cool

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/26/14 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
I really like Coghlans folding scissors. I've never tried taking them through airport security, but they're part of my EDC and at $3.75 if TSA takes them you won't be out too much. Put a second set in your checked bag. Scissors are so non-threatening cool

TSA WEbsite :Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than 4 inches are allowed, but blades longer than 4 inches are prohibited.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

I am also planning to transition to mass-market disposable undergarments in the future. Obviates the need for tp, eliminates laundry expense, serves as dandy field-expedient wound dressing, reduces in-flight cabin movement, and the soft rustling sound that accompany ambulation acts as a bear bell to prevent unwanted confrontations.

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/26/14 12:34 AM

Small scissors are not a problem for the TSA.
Always check this page, it changes over time:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than 4 inches are allowed, but blades longer than 4 inches are prohibited"

Other fun things you can carry-on that you may not realize:

Skates (including ice skates and rollerblades)
Wrenches/Pliers/Screwdrivers (seven inches or less in length)
Common Lighters - sort of OK.
One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items,
Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one uni
Snow globes that appear to contain less than 3.4 ounces (approximately tennis ball size) will be permitted if the entire snow globe, including the base, is able to fit in the same one clear, plastic, quart-sized, re-sealable bag, as the passenger’s other liquids, such as shampoo, toothpaste and cosmetics.
Posted by: Ian

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/26/14 08:00 AM

Thank you for that listing Martin but I usually travel British Airways and AM radios are not on their lists of prohibited items.

I have never had any problems but maybe I have been in error and the receiver has been assumed to be a MP3 player.

Next flight I will ask beforehand.

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/26/14 11:15 AM

http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/handheld-devices-used-onboard_Dec14.pdf

Their policy is if it's not allowed, it's forbidden.

Allowed items:

Mobile Phones/Smart phones
Laptop/Notebook computers
Tablet computers
e-Readers
Noise-cancelling headphones
Portable DVD/CD Player
Digital Audio/MP3 Player
Bluetooth Devices
Electric Shaver
Personal Cameras
Electronic Games
Assistive Medical Devices

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/26/14 02:10 PM

note to self: add life vest and small snow globe to travel kit.
Posted by: Jolt

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/26/14 04:10 PM

Sometimes, depending on what I am doing and what my carry on luggage looks like, I will carry Nalgene bottles and fill them once through security.

I refuse to buy water. It's just...just...infuriating. I put an empty bottle through.

Agreed...I carry an empty bottle and fill it once through security. Buying bottled water just feels wasteful and like being ripped off!
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/28/14 01:39 AM

Good points, Martin!

The nicer you act, the further you get. This applies to SO much more than TSA: doughnuts at the automobile shop are not germaine to this thread, but have always gotten me through ASAP, with a smile, and perks that are worth at least as much as a box of doughnuts--and into a bay first, the NEXT time I visited. A box of chocolates at Christmas, at the lunch deli, have always gotten me a year's worth of lunches, far and above what I would have expected for the price...

I don't fly often, but did last Spring with a Pre-check ID. I acted dumb ('cause I was), and got through so fast my head spun like a top. I made sure to thank the TSA guys: (they were following their protocols), but were glad to not take grief, because of it.

Going in presenting myself as ignorant of the procedures, ready and willing to cooperate with them, and anxious to fulfill the requirements, has always sped me through the process at the airport.

Learn the clerk's name--if you don't catch it right off, ask the clerk to repeat it--and thank them, by name--at the conclusion of the transaction.

I didn't think of it aforehand, but I guess the whole premise of this post is this: be polite: do you really want to deal with someone who has been ticked off by their previous contact, or do you want to deal with someone who has been validated by their previous contact? We all want to feel as if we are doing something constructive, even if we feel insignificant, because we are constrained by company policy. Complaining to the customer service reps will not solve the problem: complaining two levels up will make the difference in policy change, and mentioning the CSP's name will effect a change at the most basic level...
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/30/14 01:49 AM

Well, I know it wasn't me because I don't travel in pink underwear.
But, you didn't say you don't WEAR pink underwear. Clarify?

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/30/14 04:01 PM

Doing your own laundry INVARIABLY results in pink underwear now and then....
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Travel Tips for the Paranoid Traveler - 09/30/14 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jolt

Agreed...I carry an empty bottle and fill it once through security. Buying bottled water just feels wasteful and like being ripped off!

Don't forget drink flavor packets like Crystal Light, Gatorade, or MiO. The last time I flew, I had to fill up at the bathroom sink because some pennypincher dip**** took all the water fountains out or the lounge area. The only other water I've ever had that tasted that bad had Potable Aqua iodine tablets in it.