Help with new SAK purchase

Posted by: Taurus

Help with new SAK purchase - 07/11/14 07:32 PM

So folks

Looking for a bit of advice.

In a nutshell, I am looking for a new swiss army knife.

I am approaching year 18 in the army. As much as I still want to be with my troops "on the floor" the truth is I find myself behind a desk these days more often that not. When I try to sneek away and help out in the vehicle bay or the workshop it isn't long before someone is coming to find me because of some email/telephone/admin crisis and drag me kicking and screaming back to my desk.

I have been carrying my old swiss army knife a lot more as a result. I must confess, I am usually a die hard multi tool guy but lately I just have no real use for it during the day. I don't need my leatherman surge to argue wirth people on a phone so it usually sits in my day bag next to my desk now while my SAK(now 25 years old) rides in my pocket.

I bought the SAK way back, and I have always used it as I back up or when a multi tool was too big for the occasion (like when just wearing light shorts or my dress uniform) I COULD keep using it, but I was kinda wanting to pass it along to a grandkid some day as a first knife. I am sure I could get another 50 years use out of this thing but I am kinda afraid of breaking or losing it now.

I have been eyeballing the alox SAK's as a replacement. I have narrowed my choices to the farmer, pioneer, cadet, electrician or the harvester. They are all excellent looking and highly similar so it has been a tough decision.

How good is the mini blade on the electrician? Is the saw any good on the farmer?

Any input is highly appreciated!
Posted by: Russ

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/11/14 07:42 PM

The saw is the reason to go with the Farmer. Also, the main blade on the alox models seems to be a bit more beefy. I have an SAK Farmer.
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/11/14 09:19 PM

The small blade on the electrician is good. But unless you need a saw, I'd suggest the pioneer, for the small driver on the can opener. The farmer is also a little fatter in your pocket. The alox blades are slip joints, but they are tighter and more rigid then regular SAK's.

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/11/14 11:15 PM

I hear the main blade is offset slightly due to the awl. This true? Does it make any difference to the performance when cutting ?
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/12/14 12:50 AM

Just to complicate matters... http://www.sakmodder.com/ he does great work, get exactly what you want.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/12/14 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Just to complicate matters... http://www.sakmodder.com/ he does great work, get exactly what you want.

Nice! My problem is that when I find something I really like, they stop making it. This goes for SAKs as well. Maybe he can recreate my favorite one (I can't remember the name, but had a longer locking blade, a saw, and metal saw). My favorite pocket survival knife.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/12/14 03:42 AM

I will have to check into this sakmodder. For me, the ideal SAK is one with NO blades (thus, air travel friendly). I never liked the blades on SAK's in the past anyway, I always carry a separate, locking blade, bigger knife. Blades on a SAK are useless to me (and on a multi-tool as well). To me, a SAK or multi-tool supplements your knife, it doesn't replace it. Except when I'm flying on a plane, then I have to forgo the knife totally (I never check bags - always carry-on only).

I have always dreamed of some company offering a SAK you could custom create yourself - pick the exact tools you want. This sakmodder may be such a thing. I'll have to email the guy. Thanks for pointing this out!
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/12/14 03:43 AM

after 20+ years of carrying around a sheath knife on canoe trips i now use a SA farmer my wife gave me.it fits into a leatherman case with a bit of cord to help pull it out.
all i really need is a good big blade. i used the awl a few times on pack straps and my belt and the saw got one real use to cut away a bit of plastic on a wobbly camp chair.
i always need screw drivers for the canoe trim.
it's a real honest knife thats not trying to be a tool box.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/12/14 03:45 AM

haertig..at the Mall Of America in Mpls there is a SAK store where they will make you a knife.the nifty tool press of some sort sits in the window.

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/12/14 04:17 AM

Oh no! So many awesome choices.

My head is sure to explode trying to pick a custom SAK.

Funny thing, but I picked a new vehicle off the lot in about 2 hours but it will take me weeks to figure out this delima.

Guess I better dig out the number for knife-a-holics anonymous again.... frown
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/12/14 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Taurus
I hear the main blade is offset slightly due to the awl. This true? Does it make any difference to the performance when cutting ?

No it does not. grin

My EDC is a Swiss Champ with a Farmer as my back up knife. Gives me the best bang for my buck.

Buy a Farmer. I'd you have Grandsons, or expect to have 'em, buy them one each.
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/12/14 01:37 PM

i have a custom titanium-scaled Mini Champ made by sakmodder (aka: Syph007).

his quality is stunning. fantastic workmanship. first rate.

vid about it - https://www.youtube.com/embed/2ROHM_Ibv5Y?feature=player_detailpage

Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/12/14 07:29 PM

I have, on occasion, bought two -- or three-- brand new ones, to have a spare or two of my favorite model.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/13/14 01:57 AM

TeacherRO,that is an excelent idea.Victorinox has discontinued a favorite model.Mine was the Champion that is no longer made.

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/13/14 01:33 PM

a Farmer and a Bic on a 550 cord...

Posted by: Denis

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/14/14 04:45 PM

I have a Cadet as a regular part of my EDC now. Honestly, for the type of use it sees, I find its tool-set to be more than adequate for my day-to-day needs. It's also a good looking knife and fits very nicely in the pocket (noticeably better than a regular SAK).

Also, MEC stocks them ($32 currently) so you could always pick one up & give it a try with the option of returning it if it doesn't fit your needs.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/14/14 05:35 PM

bacpacboy has a SAK Camper that he adores. He even did a video review of it. Here's a link to it:

bacpacboy's SAK Camper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C7PNPqlwzY
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/14/14 11:09 PM

Stu sent me a SAK Camper and I completely agree with BacPacBoy's critique of this knife. It is my work EDC knife!!!

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/15/14 02:12 AM

I actually just missed out on a pair of alox pioneers on eBay for $17. Son of a .......

Denis. Thanks for the tip on MEC. Never even thought of looking there. I believe they ship free within Canada as well.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/15/14 04:40 PM

Regarding the Camper, I like this model too although my favourite outdoorsy Victorinox SAK is the Hiker; it is essentially the same as the Camper but with a Phillips screwdriver instead of the corkscrew. Personally, I find that to be a slightly more useful implement. That said, I find the Cadet to be a better urban EDC tool due to its vastly better pocketability and the relative uselessness of the saw in the city (the nail cleaner/file is also a good substitute for the second, smaller knife blade).

Actually, while I don't have the Hiker, I do have a Scouts Canada branded Wenger S13 which is basically the same as the Hiker, but with a locking main blade and a nail cleaner/file instead of the smaller blade. However, I just found out Wenger knives are no longer being made (Victorinox has deep-sixed the brand) but maybe something similar might find its way into the Victorinox lineup.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 07/19/14 09:31 PM

I've seen nothing but positive feedback regarding his builds. I'm going to have him put together a couple of customs for my twins; and maybe one for me too. wink
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Help with new SAK purchase - 08/16/14 02:46 AM

Just got a knife back from him. I had him add the USB section from an earlier flashdrive model to a Minichamp. +1 to the reviews.