tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge

Posted by: Mark_F

tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/21/14 08:40 PM

Ok, so I may or may not have mentioned this before, but DS has moved up to a boy scout troop, I am an Assistant Scout Master, and have been "volunteered" to run/organize/teach the wilderness survival merit badge. I had had a copy of the merit badge pamphlet since last spring, and have been looking at it with much closer scrutiny in the last few months trying to figure out what materials we would need and what would be the best way(s) to teach the material. At first the requirements appeared to be rather random and willy nilly, placed in the order that they are in the pamphlet. When I really got to looking at each requirement, I realized that one of the twelve requirements is the BSA's seven survival priorities, and there were seven more requirements related to each priority for a total of eight of the requirements. Another requirement is putting together a survival kit (based on the BSA's outdoor essentials, and other items geared toward helping them accomplish the seven survival priorities) which also ties in nicely with the logical progression. The other three requirements also make good sense, one is about the steps to survive in different environments, one is about the proper clothing to wear, and the last one is how to protect yourself from insects, reptiles and bears.

All good stuff. So I have created an outline of the order I want to teach the material, survival priorities first, then details of each priority in the same order, creating a survival kit based on all the relevant information, and finally the proper clothing, steps to survive in different environments, and how to protect yourself from insects, reptiles and bears. It was when I started getting into the details of how to teach each requirement and sub-requirement that I started running into trouble. First, there is just too much material to teach it and do it right in one weekend, so I want to break it up into chunks that will retain the most continuity but still be manageable. Second, there is more to teaching each requirement than one might realize. So here is where I am needing some help.

Any suggestions on how to split the material up, without losing the continuity, but keeping it manageable? We'll likely have at least a good full day (like a saturday) or more likely a full weekend for the chunks.

Any suggestions for teaching the requirements? I do plan to use as much hands on teaching as possible, i don't want to just have the boys sitting around listening to me or another scoutmaster droning on about the requirement in question. I'd like plenty of opportunities for the boys to learn the skills and then demonstrate them. I will be getting the other scoutmasters/parents involved (our troop is fortunate to have four very active leaders and two others that will hopefully also be there and pitch in one way or another) by having each one teach at least one of the requirements. I did find several older threads on this subject, but any new or additional tips or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/21/14 09:19 PM

from a retired high school teacher...

when you make up your lesson plan, look at the lesson plan template from your local school district... the Scouts should be familiar with that form of presentation

about 45 minutes is all the lecture you should attempt without some form of a break
you might modify a "Frayer Diagram" (change the names on the quadrants) to organize your packets if you plan on any note taking from the Scouts

when you do your hands on, and if you use groups... one Scout will become the leader... don't let one do all the work, make sure everyone gets a chance to show their skill level

basic mantra.... tell them what you are going to tell them... tell them objective 1, tell them objective 2, tell them objective 3... tell them what you told them

make sure the rubric of what is necessary for award of the merit badge is understood to assure there is no misunderstanding (it's been a long time, and I only made it to Star, so don't know what the BSA uses)
Posted by: MDinana

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/22/14 01:09 AM

It's been a while so no practical help, but don't let them build their overnight shelter on an anthill ....
Posted by: clearwater

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/22/14 03:51 AM

Many merit badges take more than one weekend. It is why gaining advanced rank is such a big deal.

Lots of doing is better than lecture or power point.

Some fun stuff for lesson plans.

Teaching cotton vs wool for wet weather insulation. Have kids stand in tray of shaved ice with a bit of water while wearing a wool sock and a cotton sock.

Fire starting with real flint and steel (not mischmetal). Take a worn out file and strike it again a large chunk of white quartzite, or chunk of chirt, or flint, into steel wool.

settling water pre-purification. Find some pickling alum and smash it to powder. Have two small glasses with equal amount water. Add a big spoon of dirt and stir. Then stir in alum in one. See which settles first.
Posted by: buckeye

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/22/14 04:47 AM

+1 on Les' recommendations.

I would consider interspersing lecture, demonstration (where practical) and the boys doing their work or orating back (as that fits the outline) while keeping each lecture shorter; perhaps 20-30 minutes max for each where possible and coupled with a 5-15 minute demonstration where appropriate and practical.

I did some similar volunteering for both my DS's and DD's troops several years back and I swear (and this is just my perception) that young people's attention spans gets a bit shorter every year.

You'll be able to gauge after the first one or two talks to know if you need to go longer or shorter.

As I have done just a little bit of instruction at the university level over the years I learned way back then that there are several different learning types: auditory, visual, self-reading, experiential, etc; and most people learn best with some combination of them. Not sure if you're working with 5 or 50 kids but you'll probably be able to pick up on their preferred style(s) as you go along.

I used to be mainly an auditory style learner, so I wouldn't make a lot of eye contact with the teachers. I would tend to look down at my desk with an ear towards the front of the classroom. Many times I was told to "Pay Attention!" (no "Please" or "Thank You" back in those days eek )and early on I was confused because that is what I was doing, just more with my ears than my eyes. Looking back, I think averting my eyes was my way of cutting down on the visual stimuli and focusing more on the auditory. Over the years I learned become more visual.

I believe the following is attributed Benjamin Franklin: “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”

Good Luck and have fun with it.
Posted by: Deathwind

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/22/14 04:56 AM

Could you teach them small lessons during the weekly meetings to prepare them for the basics? That would allow more time for labor intensive classes in the field, like shelter building, primitive fire making, water sterilization by boiling, etc.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/22/14 01:50 PM

As a scout master who has taught this, and a retired SF soldier that has attended several survival schools, I will say that the Boy Scout wilderness survival program is very good. As you have seen already, teaching in the order of the seven priorities makes it very logical and digestible. As Les said, limit you lecture time and do more hands on practice, this is always better, for everyone not just adolescent boys. Find several techniques for each priority, most are listed in the pamphlet, and let them practice over and over.

The merit badge pamphlet is right in line with Peter Kummerfeldt's book and with Cody Lundin's book. It is designed to teach them to survive until rescue, and to aid the rescue by being found more easily. It is not geared toward primitive technology or long term wilderness survival. It is very practical, realistic, and effective, for 99.999% of the population.

As for building a survival kit, I can point you to some of the items I have found that are effective, cheap, and small. I have mine build their kit based around a fanny pack so it is easy to attach to a backpack, carry on their person and is not cumbersome. Compact and light is key to ensure that the scouts actually have it with them when they may need it.

I also taught emergency preparedness soon after wilderness survival as these two have many overlapping and mutually supporting skills. It helps to ensure long term memory. I also encouraged parents to participate in both as much as they liked. This spreads the knowledge. As the scouts are likely to actually encounter emergency situations as either part of a troop or with their families it also helps to increase the chances of survival.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/24/14 03:52 PM

awesome tips les, plans are to keep lecture times short, no more than 20 minutes, I want our scouts doing, not sitting, I've seen too many merit badge sessions where the adult drones on and on to the boys, and then claims they completed a requirement that clearly says "demonstrate ... " or "explain ... " , not "fall asleep during an adult's lecture and get credit for ... "

when it comes to the hands on, that is where, for each section, all the adult leaders will get involved so we can split the boys into smaller groups to practice/demonstrate/explain.

we'll also be using the EDGE method for instruction ... Explain, Demonstrate, Guide, Enable

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/24/14 04:04 PM

haha definitely good advice there MDinana, here we really have to watch for snakes (copperheads and the occasional timber rattler) and black widow spiders are a possibility, so during the shelter session, we'll plan to talk a bit about site selection

the shelter session is one of my concern areas, esp the part where they have to build a natural shelter to spend the night in ... to reduce the environmental impact, i have already collected shelter poles from trees close to my home that were being cut down, the plan being to have them construct a debris hut type shelter like this, the main ridge pole and some smaller branches for the "ribs" are what I have already collected

I thought it would be easy to do, but am starting to wonder, it looks like there are some awfully big gaps between the "ribs" for the debris to just fall right through on their shelters, any suggestions or insight on this?

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/24/14 04:17 PM

thanks for the advice and all the tips clearwater

at first glance the WSMB looked like it would be no problem to do in a weekend, but after coming up with a tentative schedule, and having only 30 minutes for some of the more detailed and complex requirements like fire and shelter, it became obvious that we could not do it, and do it right, in just one weekend so I've asked for (and been granted) more than one weekend to do it, and I also hope to be able to teach some of the requirements in their meetings beforehand so we can just briefly review them during the weekend events

and yes, I want them doing, and demonstrating, and explaining ... I don't want them to be lectured to and then given the merit badge

fun is definitely the goal, our boys LOVE to camp

if i can find it we'll definitely do the flint and steel but I have the firesteels as backup for now as i hae misplaced my flint and steel set

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/24/14 04:19 PM

the different learning types is part of why we use the EDGE method

Explaining for the auditory learners

Demonstrating for the visual learners

Guide(d) practice for the hands on learners

(which) Enable(s) them to do it on their own

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/24/14 04:28 PM

yes deathwind, i am pushing to get some time in upcoming meetings to do this

some of the requirements/topics lend themselves well to classroom time, like list the 7 survival priorities from memory, or discuss ways to avoid panic and maintain a high level of morale when lost, or the first aid requirements

keeping my fingers crossed

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/24/14 04:41 PM

that's awesome info montanero, good to know that BSA is right in line with such notable experts

I also noticed in the wilderness survival resources part of the handbook it lists this site as an internet resource

resources for the survival kit portion would be appreciated, however, neither I not the troop have the financial resources to provide a kit for each scout. I am considering asking for a fee to cover the cost of such a kit, but it won't be cheap, looking at about $20 minimum to have some decent quality items in it. Currently, my plan is to bring in all the necessary (and a few unnecessary) items to assemble for a kit, split the boys into groups of 2 or 3, have each group pick the items they think would make for a good kit, and then present their kit items to everyone, with an explanation of why they included each item and what they could use it for. Obviously, I'd like them to follow up on their own and assemble their own kits at home and bring them to a meeting to show everyone.

awesome advice on the emergency preparedness, I will make plans to follow up with that asap

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/24/14 06:34 PM

I also approached each skill as a problem that needed to be solved, and did it in as realistic an environment as I could. I had the scouts brainstorming through how to solve each problem (signalling, shelter building, water purification, etc) and think about what things had to be considered (environmental conditions, materials at hand, threats, etc.) and then introduced new tools and materials and let them incorporate these into their problem solving. This seems to stick in their minds better. it also is generally good to teach problem solving as often as possible. Don't be too ready with a solution for them, and let them try bad options and fail, then show them exactly why it didn't work. It depends on how much time you have though.

Go to a pharmacy (Walgreens, Riteaid, CVS) and look around, there is much there that is inexpensive and valuable for survival. Cotton balls, petroleum jelly, cordage (I like unwaxed dental floss, it is compact and you get 100 yards, it is also pretty strong).

Then go to a hardware store. Get a box of contractor garbage bags, a bright color if you can find them. They are cheap, strong and make a great shelter or poncho to preserve their body temperature. Hacksaw blades are great for small cutting jobs such as building a shelter, and you can cut one into three or four separate tools. They can also be sharpened on the flat side to make an improvised knife. There are any number of inexpensive flashlights there. Also lots of cordage for cheap.

If your garbage bags are not a bright color for signalling, go to a store that sells fabric and find a nice cotton material in a bright color. A light material can provide a sizable signal panel in a compact package. Buying in bulk reduces the price in many cases.

I also reinforce the 10 essentials, and being properly dressed for the outing. Being properly dressed is what will save their life in most cases. If they have their 10 essentials, they have most of the material they need for survival, and this is just good reinforcement. You can also have them empty their pockets and see how useful the items may be, I am always surprised what you find in some of their pockets! Also reiterate planning and leaving a plan with someone. This is what they should be doing all the time anyway, even on a car trip with their families. someone should know where they are going and when they should be there.

I brought out some other items that can be found sometimes in a survival situation, such as a broken car mirror, compact discs, extraneous bits of cloth, rubber bands, wire, plastic grocery bags, clear garbage bags, a sheet of tyvek, and other items. This is just to get them thinking of how to use materials they find around. You can introduce these in their problem solving for whichever priority you are working on. this helps them to think more creatively in solving the problem and not to stop when they do not have the "proper" equipment.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/24/14 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
haha definitely good advice there MDinana, here we really have to watch for snakes (copperheads and the occasional timber rattler) and black widow spiders are a possibility, so during the shelter session, we'll plan to talk a bit about site selection

the shelter session is one of my concern areas, esp the part where they have to build a natural shelter to spend the night in ... to reduce the environmental impact, i have already collected shelter poles from trees close to my home that were being cut down, the plan being to have them construct a debris hut type shelter like this, the main ridge pole and some smaller branches for the "ribs" are what I have already collected

I thought it would be easy to do, but am starting to wonder, it looks like there are some awfully big gaps between the "ribs" for the debris to just fall right through on their shelters, any suggestions or insight on this?

Well to be honest, my shelter kept getting de-constructed by another class that was taking the course, so my "shelter" ended up being a few branches to construct a half-ass lean to, made the day of the overnighter. That really pissed me off at the time.

I'd say you just have to add more support/lateral beams. Try using branches with leaves still on them, if it's available, as they'll start to tangle and support each other If need be you could always dig instead of build up. Foxholes aren't great shelters, but they work for a night, if it's dry.

Thank goodness I didn't have to deal with snakes. Just the possibility of bison.

http://www.sgvcbsa.org/programs/camping/camp-cherry-valley

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/24/14 09:27 PM

even more useful info, thanks montanero

I do hope to use the problem solving technique you mentioned as much as possible. Can you give more details about how you did this? I'm imagining, for example, that during the shelter building portion you might present the boys with a need to build a shelter, but with no more resources than what they have on their person, then add a fanny pack with an emergency blanket or two, then a pack with maybe a tarp and lots of cordage? One way I was planning to incorporate this technique was with the water purification. In one scenario, they would just be lost and would have the full use of their pack which included a water filter; in the second scenario, they had taken a fall down a rocky hill, which busted up their water filter too badly to use, but luckily their mess kit was intact and fully usable to boil water; in the third scenario, they lost their pack completely, and had only what was in their PSK (water bag and purification tablets) to purify their drinking water. This approach is also why I've asked for more than just a single weekend camp out to teach this.

You seem to have read my mind about the inexpensive survival kit items. I had every intention of presenting the boys with inexpensive options (like the contractor/garbage bags and inexpensive kit container options) to show them (and their parents) that they can build an effective kit without breaking the bank. I also wanted to show them some upgrade options (like a heatsheet bivvy or a better survival kit container) that are available.

The 10 essentials are a must. The BSA WSMB pamphlet states that their survival kit should start with their ten essentials and build on that. Sadly, I'm not so sure that they carry much in their pockets. One of the main points I hope to get across to the boys is to make sure they have some critical survival gear somewhere on their person during any outdoor activity. I hope to also use plausible and realistic scenarios to drive this point across to the adults in the group, so I won't be as likely to get poo pooed when I ask that carrying the ten essentials and a supplemental PSK be mandatory (i.e. bring it or stay/go back home) for any outdoor activities we do.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/24/14 09:33 PM

Mark, I present them with a scenario that explains how they ended up in a survival situation and what they have to work with. I add resources as they are figuring out how to solve it one way, so they can try another way. They do get helpful hints and tips on how to do specific tasks. It is not a test, just an exercise for their brains.

I do plan to take the older scouts out soon for a survival exercise with only what is in their survival kits, no ten essentials in a backpack. I will also introduce many of them to going from live animal to prepared meal. That should be interesting for some of them. This campout is intended only as a fun confidence builder.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/25/14 01:56 AM

Mark, for the merit badge, you can't actually USE anything other than what's available in the area you'll be doing the camping. And the night of the overnighter, you pretty much get what you're wearing. So, yes, you can wear 5 or 6 layers, but you can't bring a space blanket or poncho or anything like that. You sure as heck can't use those things to construct your shelter.

At least, that's how mine was. I don't have the latest edition of the MB manual in front of us.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/25/14 12:35 PM

MDinana, yes, they must sleep in a shelter they built out of locally available materials. However, they should learn to build shelters out of anything that they can find. I have seen grown people, well trained, have such tunnel vision on what they were "supposed" to build that they totally disregarded very useful materials and features in the environment. They expend great effort and resources building it when they could have easily produced a better shelter at lower resource cost. When teaching techniques for each of the priorities, the scouts should be encouraged to observe and increase their situational awareness. The first "Priority" in the BSA list is S.T.O.P: Stop, Observe, Think, Plan. I like to give them a variety of unusual materials and challenge them to build a shelter out of them.

In my own experience, I have always been surprised what materials you find in some very unusual places. Except for the park system, which generally is kept clean, you can almost always find manmade materials if you keep your eyes open. While this particular merit badge is wilderness survival, I have taught more urban specific shelters for the emergency preparedness merit badge, such as the cardboard shelter, which can be very warm if built right.

The ten essentials do not include a tent of poncho, or even a space blanket. I do encourage them, however, to learn to build shelters our of anything.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/25/14 12:40 PM

For anyone interested, here is a link for some of the merit badge pamphlets which have been made available online:
Merit Badge Pamphlets

Most BSA districts have a store in their area where these pamphlets can be purchased in hard copy. As I have stated, the BSA Wilderness Survival pamphlet is in keeping with the correct principles of survival and is a useful resource when teaching survival. IMHO, 99.999% of the people out there are trying to survive until rescue, and are trying to make that rescue more likely. The BSA program works for this.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/25/14 12:52 PM

Mark, have you looked at this source for supplies and equipment:

Survival Resources
Look in the areas for water purification and shelter.

There are two items in particular they have that I have never seen anywhere else:
The Aqua Pouch Plus: has a filter, sturdy water container and purification tablets that all fit in your pocket or a small survival kit. At $12 it is a good addition to your kits.

The Orange Survival Bag: a very large, strong, and orange plastic bag. Serves as a shelter, signaling device or poncho. At $5.50 it is more expensive than the contractor bags from Lowes or Home Depot, but this one is larger, thicker, and orange.

Shelter and water are arguably the two most important components of a survival kit, and this is an excellent basis for any kit.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/25/14 01:14 PM

historical anecdote... I was lucky to have a pair of excellent Scoutmasters in the late 50's early 60's... one was a Marine combat vet from Guadalcanal on in the Pacific, and the other an OSS officer in the Balkans...our troop was pretty poor, so made do with surplus GI items... our "survival" rig consisted of a web pistol belt, stainless canteen, cup and cover, and a first aid pouch that held a Cutter snake bite kit (now not recommended), a match safe with nail polish coated kitchen matches, couple of pieces of lighter pine (what we called fat wood), single edged razor blade, bottle of tincture of iodine for water treatment and cuts, 25' of heavy braided fishing line, a dime for phone call, roll of friction tape, and a small piece of flint/chert for fire starting....a Scout or GI pocket knife on a lanyard if we could afford it... looking back, not too shabby for the time

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/25/14 08:06 PM

very good montanero, you are absolutely right it is not a test, my goal here is for the boys to learn and absorb as much of the info presented as possible, your suggestion sounds amazing and I will try to incorporate it as much as possible. I really want the boys to see it is not impossible to do things with no or minimal gear, however I also want them to see how much easier it can be to accomplish their survival priorities with a good kit on their person.

don't think we are ready for processing game and turning it into a meal yet, maybe in a few years we can look into something like that wink

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/25/14 08:13 PM

correct MDinana, the actual requirement reads that they must build a shelter from natural materials (preferrably utilizing LNT principles to minimize the impact) and spend a night in it, but during their shelter session, i'd like them to see what other options they can have with items that are really easy to carry on their person

for the overnighter, I'm gonna use a trick I read in a thread from several years back, about using glow sticks to mark the boy's shelter locations and the location of base camp, and allowing them a water bottle and flashlight ... considering allowing a poncho for them to wear if it rains and their shelter is less than waterproof lol

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/25/14 08:16 PM

actually montanero, rain gear is one of the ten essentials

would like to do like you suggested on future survival campouts, and present them with more situations, with more (or less) materials and see what they can come up with in the way of fire, shelter, water purification, etc

+1 on the merit badge pamphlet, it's a darn good survival resource, right in line with pretty much everything I have seen, done or read about over the last 20 + years

and yes I have looked at survival resources before, items are great, but unfortunately a bit pricey for a limited budget and needing upwards of 10 to 15 kits. Plus, I am not confident the boys are old enough yet to fully grasp the concept that their survival kit is emergency gear to be saved for an emergency, and not a box full of toys they can take home and play with, tear up, and show up at an outdoor activity without. I can almost see the boys telling me what one of my former webelos said to me when I asked him what happened to his survival kit and he replied, "oh I used all that stuff up"

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/25/14 08:30 PM

yes les, it is kind of amazing what we think we need to have to camp/survive these days, compared to previous generations.

I recently read about how years ago a scout simply carried his gear in a bed roll, but now we think we have to have whatever the latest and greatest pack is on the market. there's plenty more examples out there I am sure, I guess the lesson here is we can all make do with a lot less than what we think we actually need.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/25/14 09:08 PM

Rain gear, but not specifically a poncho and no tent. The ten essentials do not include shelter building materials specifically, although poncho is an alternative to a rain jacket, and an alternative I strongly endorse.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/25/14 09:15 PM

I maintain a stock of the survival supplies and equipment that we use for training, so the boys do not pull their kits out too often. And I do have them practice skills they have learned often, just to reinforce the learning. I also spot check them on occasion just to know what I am dealing with and where the gaps may be. I do this with first aid kits, ten essentials, and other camping gear also. I admonish the scout for "not being prepared" and then I let their parent know. This usually gets the deficiency filled.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/26/14 04:37 PM

that is very true montanero, I've always wondered why the Boy Scout 10 essentials doesn't include something as easy to carry as an emergency blanket or bivvy, or for that matter why they eliminated a whistle from the list. I guess for one, the 11 or 12 essentials doesn't sound as cool as the 10 essentials, and for another the Boy Scouts are expected to carry their survival kits with these items in it or on their person.

I'm also noticing that in all the check lists for personal gear in the Boy Scout Hand book, that CORDAGE is not mentioned. As much as knot tying has been emphasized, and cordage is not mentioned in the 10 essentials or in their personal camping gear checklist. I suspect (and hope) it is listed in the patrol/troop checklist, but I recommend our boys add a hank of cordage to their packs anyway, can never have too much IMO.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/26/14 05:00 PM

so do you keep their survival kits until needed? or do you let them take them home and add to their packs/gear?

The scout I mentioned before who told me "oh I used all that stuff up already" was from a group that I let them take the kits home. I was genuinely surprised that he did not get that the kit was designed to be emergency gear he could keep and use only in an emergency, and instead took it home, took the items out of the kit, and "used them up" ... needless to say I was EXTREMELY disappointed ... the following year I did something a little different, I got stainless beaded neck chains and one of the whistle/compass/matchsafe combos to give to the scouts (the "i used it all up" scout had aged out the previous year so I wasn't too worried about that, but I did want to do something for the scouts like I had done the previous year but with a slightly different twist). Well, once again, some of the scouts kept them and some scouts "used them up" or "lost them" at which point i decided I would not spend out of my own pocket to "give" them something in the future. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy scouting immensely and I really like to do things for the scouts, but at this point I am reluctant to spend money out of my own pocket to buy items that will be "used up" or "lost" or whatever.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/26/14 08:46 PM

Isn't this the way life works? You provide good instruction and guidance and your students(scouts) go out the door and make of it what they will.

Some will take their kit and use it just as intended. Some will put the kit on a shelf and never touch it again. Some will "use it up" but will retain your main point and fabricate a good kit when the occasion demands.

Scouting builds character, but there are always some(not just scouts but people in general) who don't get the message. I'll bet there are ex-scouts serving life terms.....

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/26/14 08:49 PM

The boys will always have difficulty keeping track of their gear, they will always pulls the cool stuff out to show others how to use it, and they will always forget what you told them. Constant reinforcement is always necessary, with many reminders and some discipline when things are not done as they are supposed to be.

I have them build their own kits, with some advice and assistance from our adult leaders, and we spot check and run scenarios occasionally in survival, first aid, emergency prep, or other important skills just to place a little stress on them to keep better track of their stuff. They are adolescent boys, and it is part of growing up into men. I always have what is really necessary for their survival, and they are never without an adult, not yet (young troop). It is one way you can assess your scouts as well, who does keep track of their stuff, who can perform the skills, and who demonstrates enough responsibility to lead.

It is also one reason why I always have the "practice" survival gear, so they can start fires, build shelters (some do think it is fun), and practice signaling.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/26/14 09:29 PM

yes, both of you are right, I cannot control what the boys will do with the information provided, or any materials they walk away with. It is a harsh reality I am struggling to accept. Heck, even DS is having difficulty right now keeping up with his stuff so I think it is something to do with the age group, and as you said adolescent boys growing up to be men.

Montanero, I feel your pain, our troop is young as well, and not likely to get any older any time soon, a lot of first year webelos who were pushed through quickly to get their arrow of light to be able to join the troop, and a new group of first year webelos coming here in the next few months as well it looks like.

If i can talk the troop into it, I'd like to have selected campouts as survival campouts, where they can make do with limited equipment, or just their survival kits, or deal with survival scenarios. As you said, reinforcement of skills and reminding them to keep their kit items on hand or even bringing them in the first place. Another thing I'd like to see our council do is something a neighboring council does, a pioneering and wilderness survival camporee. It's sad that it seems like this is such a difficult sell in our area and in the scouting program at that, but in our council it seems to be, I might have better luck trying to get this to go as a district event.

I am wondering if some kind of reward system might work with the boys and their survival kit items, maybe start them with a few key items (thinking whistle and large contractors garbage bag, I think I have some spare mirrors and maybe a few other items too) to be awarded to those who stick with it and complete the merit badge. Then, as a reward for the boys who remember to bring those items to future outdoor events and activities, have some additional items for them to add or replace. not really sure but just thinking out loud.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/26/14 10:24 PM

I do provide these types of incentives, but always useful gear or a learning tool. As I have known many of my scouts since they were born (I am referred to more often as "Uncle" than anything else), I give them these types of birthday and Christmas presents as well. Acknowledge and reward good behavior, strong effort, and successful work. Do not reward unsuccessful work, but spend the time with that scout to make them successful. Be honest about failure, but show them in detail why it failed and how to do it better. In many cases, just showing the honesty of addressing failure, and the care to make them successful will win over the scout, without any reward. I have had some scout complain to me that I spend too much time with the less successful scouts, and I just respond to them that they should be spending the time with them as well. The troop succeeds or fails as a troop, and it is in all of their best interests to make everyone successful. Some parents are actually more difficult to manage with this though.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 01:45 AM

don't think we are ready for processing game and turning it into a meal yet, maybe in a few years we can look into something like that wink

Here's an idea to help you move in that direction:

One of our former Scouts, now an Activity Leader, is an advd hunter. We weren't ready for a processing lesson yet either, so our hunter brought us a processed turkey and we cooked it in a pit, using the coals from the fires the youth started in our firecraft lesson.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 01:50 AM

correct MDinana, the actual requirement reads that they must build a shelter from natural materials (preferrably utilizing LNT principles to minimize the impact) and spend a night in it, but during their shelter session, i'd like them to see what other options they can have with items that are really easy to carry on their person

for the overnighter, I'm gonna use a trick I read in a thread from several years back, about using glow sticks to mark the boy's shelter locations and the location of base camp, and allowing them a water bottle and flashlight ... considering allowing a poncho for them to wear if it rains and their shelter is less than waterproof lol

Our badges and requirements are different up here in Canada, but we did the same thing with our troop. They made a natural shelter and slept in it, but we also practiced using other materials, like tarps. Have to take advantage of those teachable moments, and cover is something they can carry in their PSKs. Proper clothing is a must, so raingear may well be appropriate. Would that cover your use of ponchos? Personally, I prefer them because their multipurpose and can be used for shelter... It would be neat to see if and how they improvise.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 02:13 AM

You are doing good and necessary work. This thread leads inevitably me to remember an extensive search for three scouts who set out to climb a local peak for a sixteenth birthday celebration - right into the teeth of a raging winter storm. They perished before anyone knew they were in trouble. It turned out that the troop was planning some survival training the next month. This transpired over fifty years ago and the experience profoundly influenced my life.

I will never forget the sight of the scout master in base camp - sobbing and wringing his hands ineffectually.

Keep on going.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 02:16 AM

... Plus, I am not confident the boys are old enough yet to fully grasp the concept that their survival kit is emergency gear to be saved for an emergency, and not a box full of toys they can take home and play with, tear up, and show up at an outdoor activity without. I can almost see the boys telling me what one of my former webelos said to me when I asked him what happened to his survival kit and he replied, "oh I used all that stuff up"

The power of play! LOL! Let's hope he used it up by using it somewhat like how you were envisioning, only without the drama of a real life emergency.

There's real value, IMO, in letting them use the gear in their survival kits, or at least duplicates or similar items, in guided or freestyle survival skills practice. (Just be diligent about checking and restocking, which is easier said than done, I know.) Because they likely don't have real world survival experience, and are probably limited in their wilderness survival experience, their ability to improvise and adapt may be limited as well. Not to mention that there's a real difference between theory and reality sometimes.

Example - my son understands how to build a super shelter and he carries all the materials in his survival kit, I gave him duplicates of everything in his kit and we practiced building one a few weeks ago. He was really challenged. It took more time than he expected, wasn't as simple as it looks, the materials were sometimes fragile (think ripped plastic sheeting caused by overzealous knot tying and underzealous pole placement), his arms weren't long enough, he wasn't coordinated enough, a bitterly cold wind froze his fingers and made it hard to work, etc...

He got really frustrated sometimes. We were just in the backyard, and I was there to help, but it made me think about how much more difficult it would have been for him had he been on his own and in a survival situation. We've made some key adjustments to his kit as a result, BTW.

Seems like a good time for a PSA: Watching my son struggle to combine theory + his kit + a real world application reminded me that it's a good idea to take our gear out and test it, and ourselves, regularly. Trial and error has been my best teacher, but I'd rather work through some of those errors in advance of when TSHTF. wink

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 02:35 AM

In the future, when it inevitably will hit the fan, your son will draw on this experience...

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 12:29 PM

Thanks Hikermor. I use real world examples such as that to illustrate points, show examples of what people did right and wrong, and to impress the importance of the training on the scouts and their parents. I collect every news article I can find of people who end up in survival situations. It combats the "it will never happen to me" attitude.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 01:50 PM

Do you have a copy of Cathy Hufault's " Death Clouds on Mt Baldy"? Published in 2011, it is an accurate, well researched account of this tragedy, the search, and the aftermath. I especially like the picture of an impossibly young Hikermor (p. 161), about to receive a lesson in SAR and in mountain survival.

I think you are correct to use real life situations.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 02:07 PM

I do have it. I will look for the photo, lol.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
I do provide these types of incentives, but always useful gear or a learning tool.

yes, that is the idea, start them with some basics, and add items or better quality items as they go, I am hoping this will spark their interest enough that they might take some initiative and add items of their own and show them to everyone at a meeting or outdoor activity with an explanation of why they included the item(s).

As I have known many of my scouts since they were born (I am referred to more often as "Uncle" than anything else), I give them these types of birthday and Christmas presents as well.

A small and tight knit group always seems to be the rule in scouting. The pack we came from was very much like that, and so is our troop. Our scouts (and adults) got a mini fire tinder kit for christmas: chunk of fatwood, some jute twine, and some char cloth, fun project for DS and I and all the scouts got something out of it too, I hope with the merit badge activities I can also show them WHY those items make key fire starting tinder.

Acknowledge and reward good behavior, strong effort, and successful work.

Wow, this could get expensive lol. Could I substitute some inexpensive rewards instead? When I read this I had an idea pop in my head about handing out some sort of awards or certificates, such as a firebug award for the first one to successfully make his three fires, or maybe a water bug award for the three water purification methods (methinks I am already leaning towards a bug oriented theme with this wink ). Would I rather give each scout who successfully does it a fire steel or water bag with purification tablets for completing these requirements? Sure I would, but neither I nor the troop can afford something like that for 8 or more scouts.

Do not reward unsuccessful work, but spend the time with that scout to make them successful. Be honest about failure, but show them in detail why it failed and how to do it better.

This part is very difficult, especially for me as I have OCD and some impulse control issues. Add to that the fact that myself and the other dad's all recently left cub scouts where we were used to being more hands in, so to speak. It is hard to just step back and let them fail. I had this problem with a recent fire starting session with DS at the fireplace, he had successfuly used his firesteel to get an ember started in his char cloth, but he was having difficulty getting the ember to catch his jute twine. Instead of letting him keep trying my OCD and impulse control took over and I took it from him and showed him how to get it started. In hindsight I realized what I had done, and apologized to him for taking over, and I am determined not to let that happen again.

In many cases, just showing the honesty of addressing failure, and the care to make them successful will win over the scout, without any reward.

Yes, I have seen this already, although I have also seen the early signs of teenage brooding, ugh.

I have had some scout complain to me that I spend too much time with the less successful scouts, and I just respond to them that they should be spending the time with them as well. The troop succeeds or fails as a troop, and it is in all of their best interests to make everyone successful.

I think it is difficult for the boys at this age to understand that, as they are becoming REALLY competitive with one another, I assume this has something to do with establishing the pecking order and the "I'm better than you are" complex that teenagers seem to have (I never understood that). But, as leaders, it is up to us to teach them.

Some parents are actually more difficult to manage with this though.

Amen to that wink

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 02:53 PM

some good ideas there BPJ. As for the ponchos, here is what the requirement actually says:

"Improvise a natural shelter. For the purpose of this demonstration, use techniques that have little negative impact on the environment. Spend a night in your shelter."

Now, as I read this and interpret it, to me it states the shelter must be natural, i.e. no emergency blankets or tarps or cordage or what have you. But it is not clear what gear the scout can (or cannot) have.

Obviously safety is a major concern, so I am thinking light, whistle, and water bottle at a minimum. It doesn't say they can have their ten essentials, but it doesn't say they can't either. So my interpretation of this is that they CAN have at least some gear with them, BUT they cannot use any of it in their shelter construction (they could, however, WEAR their rain gear if it happens to rain). Anyone else read this requirement differently?

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 02:56 PM

hikermor, that story ties right in with one of the other important BSA principals about Wilderness Survival. I LOVE this quote from the merit badge pamphlet:

The best emergency is the one that never happens.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
The power of play! LOL! Let's hope he used it up by using it somewhat like how you were envisioning, only without the drama of a real life emergency.

I sure hope so BPJ

There's real value, IMO, in letting them use the gear in their survival kits, or at least duplicates or similar items, in guided or freestyle survival skills practice. (Just be diligent about checking and restocking, which is easier said than done, I know.) Because they likely don't have real world survival experience, and are probably limited in their wilderness survival experience, their ability to improvise and adapt may be limited as well. Not to mention that there's a real difference between theory and reality sometimes.

Yes, that is my ultimate goal I think BPJ, I first have to sell the rest of the troop leaders that this is a very important thing for the boys, and not just another merit badge. Then I can ask for money to purchase enough items to have 1 kit for each boy to sock away for emergencies, with enough extra identical gear for them to practice with. It is also why I want to talk them into doing frequent survival camp outs, where the boys must use only their kits, or only limited gear, to make camp and address their survival priorities. Practicing in this way will help bridge the gap between the theory and reality.

Example - my son understands how to build a super shelter and he carries all the materials in his survival kit, I gave him duplicates of everything in his kit and we practiced building one a few weeks ago. He was really challenged. It took more time than he expected, wasn't as simple as it looks, the materials were sometimes fragile (think ripped plastic sheeting caused by overzealous knot tying and underzealous pole placement), his arms weren't long enough, he wasn't coordinated enough, a bitterly cold wind froze his fingers and made it hard to work, etc...

Perhaps a valuable lesson in keeping things as simple as possible? I've tried to do that with DS, that's why our medium size kit emergency shelter is a combination of an AMK emergency heatsheet bivvy and heatsheet blanket.

He got really frustrated sometimes. We were just in the backyard, and I was there to help, but it made me think about how much more difficult it would have been for him had he been on his own and in a survival situation. We've made some key adjustments to his kit as a result, BTW.

Seems like a good time for a PSA: Watching my son struggle to combine theory + his kit + a real world application reminded me that it's a good idea to take our gear out and test it, and ourselves, regularly. Trial and error has been my best teacher, but I'd rather work through some of those errors in advance of when TSHTF. wink

good advice indeed BPJ, glad I am in such good company here at ETS

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 03:15 PM

Montanero, I have been trying to collect articles such as that, but all the ones I find are from not immediately apparent reliable sources, or they sound cheesy and contrived (maybe it's the writing). is there anyway I could ask you for copies via links or as attachments in an e-mail?

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 03:42 PM

Mark, We had a thread a little while back on just that subject. But I can send you whatever I have. I browse through news on the web very frequently, but the tips I have received from this forum have proven the most valuable in finding these stories. It is a primary concern for this forum, and there are people spread all around North America, some in Europe and now even in Asia.

That is something to encourage with all members here, please post links to stories of survival or emergency situations. These are valuable for all of us. And the knowledge you share here benefits more than just those who look here.

Mark, everyone has that same problem, knowing when and how to step back and not try to fix a problem. No matter the age, gender, or psychological tendencies. Especially as a parent and it is your child having the problem. You are not having more difficulty than any of the rest of us in that regard.

Adolescents are generally idiocentric, they view everything through the lens of how it affects them, and social status is very salient at that age. Boys are also naturally competitive in these types of skills, where girls are more likely to work socially and cooperate. It can be useful as a motivator, but you can't let it get out of control. If it turns to demeaning, hindering, or harming others it has gone too far. The scout law, oath, and other parts of scouting can be used to moderate the competitiveness, along with the idea of teamwork and building an identity as part of the troop. The troop succeeds or fails together, and it is in best interests of all to help the other members of the troop. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, use their strengths to work on the weaknesses of others, and even their own. Identify the strengths and weaknesses of each individual, and task organize accordingly. If you have one that is very good at knots, and very interested, have him teach the ones that are weak at it. if we have a competition at a camporee, I build the teams according to strengths. If we have a troop camp out, I encourage responsibilities to be given according to weaknesses. The best ways to learn are to have responsibility or to teach something. So those that are weak at a particular skill or trait get that responsibility or they have to teach it.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 04:19 PM

some good ideas there BPJ. As for the ponchos, here is what the requirement actually says:

"Improvise a natural shelter. For the purpose of this demonstration, use techniques that have little negative impact on the environment. Spend a night in your shelter."

So,could one just find a rock shelter, make minor adjustments, and meet this requirement? I ask, because easily my best nights have been spent in natural shelters (better than even any nights in tents).

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 05:00 PM

Montanero, here is a source I check regularly, often finding accounts that are factual and at least relatively unbiased:

http://www.nps.gov/morningreport/

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 05:53 PM

Thanks Hikermor.

Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge - 03/27/14 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor

So,could one just find a rock shelter, make minor adjustments, and meet this requirement? I ask, because easily my best nights have been spent in natural shelters (better than even any nights in tents).

The way I read the requirement, yes it would hikermor

of course, as it ends up, it is up to the merit badge counselor as to what they teach and require to complete this requirement, as well as the scoutmaster's discretion/approval. As the merit badge counselor in question for our group, when we get to the shelter session of the merit badge, I want to at least discuss but preferably have the boys attempt to build various types of shelters, using man made materials such as tarps, ponchos, emergency blankets and cordage as well as natural shelters. I don't want to overwhelm them with too much, but I'd like them to see several examples of what is possible using items they could carry easily on their person, as well as several examples of what they can do for their natural shelter.

The merit badge pamphlet actually has a pretty good section devoted to shelters, starting with a picture of a scout huddled up in a large garbage bag, hug-a-tree style (the face hole etc). It goes on to discuss how the scouts should assess their surroundings and materials available, including any equipment they have with them like a tent, dining fly, tarp, etc. It discusses the importance of the shelter to not only keep out of the wind and rain but also to conserve body heat. It goes even further to discuss location, insulation from the ground, many various ways to use natural resources in building the shelter, especially when it accomplishes much of the building process for them. There are helpful photos and illustrations of scouts under tarp shelters, in caves, under trees, utilizing large rocks as part of their shelters, as well as presenting various types of snow shelters like tree pit, snow pit, snow trench, and snow caves.

As Montanero already pointed out, the WSMB pamphlet/handbook is an excellent survival resource.