Watches - What are you wearing these days

Posted by: buckeye

Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 03:59 AM

Hi,

Wondering what your all are doing for a watch these days. I quit wearing a watch about 10 years ago when my Suunto was broken physically (thanks airport scanners) and just started relying on the clock on my phone.

As my phones seem to keep getting larger (been using the Samsung Galaxy Note III -- easier on the eyes) it's getting to be a pain to pull it out just to check the time when I'm out and about. Plus, if the cell networks become unavailable, clock may be off and will be off once battery runs dry or is replaced. I'm really wanting something that I can just go back to looking at on my wrist.

I've been mostly looking at the Casio G-Shock and ProTrek (digital and analog, battery and solar); the Timex Expeditions; the Seiko and Citizen self-winding; along with the newer Suunto and Garmin offerings.

For some reason I like the Compass/Altimeter/Barometer/Temperature options, even though I know they aren't very accurate and/or are derived by extrapolation (especially altimeter). Compass is usually only good for general direction. Yet, I feel if I'm going to $pend a few c-notes, I should be wearing something that provides me several features besides just the time/date.

Thinking about going very basic, I did wear an old $20 Timex we had for the last few weeks and it just didn't do it for me.

I can tell I'm getting older because feel frustration that there are almost too many options and none of them precisely what I want.

So, please share what you go with, both day-to-day and in the back-country if it is different; what works for you and what does not work; along with options I may not be considering.

Thanks,

b

Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 04:22 AM

Day to day is a Casio G-shock GW-9100 or a G-shock analog/digital solar atomic model. I've had one with the light button on the face break around the button.

Back country is usually which ever I happen to be wearing at the time.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 05:04 AM

I've been wearing this one for six or seven years now:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/uzih3prwarus.html

The tritium illumination is nice. They trimmed cost by only putting tritium on the hands and the 12-3-6-9 positions.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 05:05 AM

I have one of those Seiko shake winders. It was expensive, and not my most liked watch. I also sometimes wear a Seiko solar powered watch. Neither one is fancy, just shows date and time. I also have a wind up pocket watch that I keep on occasion. I have a Casio wristwatch running on a battery that I've had for 7 years and it is still running, but the strap leaves a ring around my wrist these days.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 05:27 AM

G-Shock Basic watch that keeps good time.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 07:28 AM

i have a 24 hour watch,what looks like 6 on this is really noon.
i wore it when i worked at the Vets Hospital and we kept track of everything in 24 hour time.i thought the watches with the 12 hour face and the 24 time filled it was sort of slack.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 09:55 AM

I have this mechanical Smiths military.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 11:37 AM

I keep it simple, a basic no-name watch from one of the big discount stores. The only "extra" I look for is the date function and large easy to read numbers.

The one I am wearing now cost about 20 dollars---about 10 years ago!. Still going strong. It is on its 3rd or 4th battery, and second band. Keeps perfect time.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 12:49 PM

I bought a GMT Master at the China Fleet Club, Hong Kong in 72 for about $250...wore it for 30+ years, and finally decided that tune up costing more than original price was excessive... today, a small Casio sport watch
Posted by: LCranston

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 01:38 PM

Citizen Stiletto- leather band- light powered, sapphire face.

I wear mine with face in, after destroying 8 timex, found one with a face I couldn't break.

On 3rd band, 2nd battery/capacitor thingy
Posted by: RNewcomb

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 01:51 PM

Casio AWG-101 - I bought it 4 years ago now, and it's probably the best watch (for me) I have ever owned.

It looks very much like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Mens-AWGM100...shock+awg101-1a

It's Solar, and unlike a lot of solar watches, has no problem charging even under indoor florescent lighting.

It's atomic - I never set it. It handles Daylight Savings time perfectly, it even adjusts the analog hands to match.

It has a back light that not terribly bright, but good enough to see what time it is in the dark.

It's rugged. I wear it every day. I work on cars, I work, sleep and play in this watch. So far, it's been completely bulletproof, and at $130, I'm not overly conscious about it getting beat up a little.

It's water-resistance to 660 feet. I've never had problems with water getting into this watch.

The lettering on the outside is still as good as the day I bought it, it NEVER wears off. The crystal is protected by the case, and to this day, I have yet to manage to scratch it.. even working on cars from time to time.

When it dies, if it dies, I'll replace it with one just like it if I can.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 01:58 PM

I now carry a pocket watch.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 02:01 PM

I'v been wearing a Luminox - 3600 Series - Titanium Navy SEAL Dive Series. Keeps time well and is lightweight.

The battery recently died and the local Jewellers were quoting a ridiculous price of $100 for a battery change and it would take 3 weeks. So I ended up buying an Invicta 0138 Sea Spider instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-0138-Colle..._pr_product_top

http://invictawatch.com/collections/view-model/0138-sea-spider

The Sea Spider is a nice watch but too much of a bling watch. Both watches have Swiss made movements

I did eventually had the battery changed after shopping around $30 and it took less than 1hr.

Posted by: hikermor

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 02:05 PM

I also wear a Casio - "Twin Sensor" or something like that. Includes a digital compass which is rarely used, but it does come in handy now and then.

Mine is waterproof all the way down to 200 meters (much better than 660 feet!*), which is more than I can say for its wearer....

*that's an incredibly subtle joke, son....
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 02:06 PM

+1 for a casio, my current one is this casio salarms

http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/wat/watch_detail/AE-1000W-1AV/
Posted by: Jolt

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 02:09 PM

Timex Expedition...inexpensive, waterproof and durable. I have, however, had some problems with the light and/or alarm going on these after a few years but this is not a huge issue. It isn't the best for dress, but for everyday is OK (I have the Expedition women's field watch for when I need a nicer looking watch, but the set knob tends to get caught on things and I have had one break as a result...not impressed with the durability of this one). You men seem to have a lot more to pick from as far as watches that are both practical and look nice...I know there's nothing stopping us women from just buying a "men's" watch, but I am not someone who could carry this off without it looking ridiculously big. So, I wear the practical-but-not-that-attractive sporty watch.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 03:17 PM

Casio Pro-Trek PRW-1500. It's solar powered, and corrects its time via radio signal. It loses about 0.2 seconds a day when it doesn't have signal. It's water resistant to 200m. In its most basic function as a trouble-free time piece, it's pretty good. I trust it more than I do my phone.

It has compass, barometer and altimeter. I figure the compass saves me carrying a button compass; I have found it useful for basic orientation in unfamiliar towns. I like having the air-pressure graph for seeing what the weather has been up to. I've never used the barometer. (I think that's the only feature I don't get value from.)

It has multiple alarms, stop-watch and down-counting features. I have used all of these at one time or another. The down-counter is limited to an hour, and is apparently intended for yacht-racing, which isn't as useful to me as it might be.

It shows phase of the moon, which I love, and also the state of the tides, which I also love although I don't live near enough the sea for it to be useful. Also, I suspect the tidal display isn't accurate. Part of what I like is that elements of the display change at varying rates. There's a seconds indicator that goes around the dial, the tidal display changes hourly, and the lunar display changes over a period of days. All about the cycles of the world, as a time-piece should be.

I hated my previous watch but I love this one. I am a nerd and I like features. Physically it is quite bulky, and cosmetically it is not what you'd call a dress watch. Personally I'd prefer less writing on it.

In due course I'll probably get a smart watch (but not until they can make payments via RFID), and then I'll probably be wearing two watches.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 04:08 PM

Quote:
In due course I'll probably get a smart watch

Found this watch (save $5,480) over RRP. Now only $480... wink

http://www.amazon.com/JBW-JB-6215-238-A-...BEGYPNZQKRJHH2A
Posted by: Denis

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 05:29 PM

Personally, I'm a fan of relatively simple, analogue field watches.

However, recently, I've been a bit tough on my casual watches (i.e., those I'd wear when heading outdoors). Over the last couple of years I had a Timex Expedition E-Compass watch and a Momentum Atlas but both ended up with broken crystals (ironically, both in an office environment; not actually during what I thought would've been rough use). With the latter I was also having issues with the spring pins popping out at inconvenience times which was becoming a bit of a hassle (the Timex's pins screwed in, which was nice).

So, in a last ditch effort in find a watch I couldn't break (without resorting to a G-Shock which I don't like the style of) I picked up a Bertucci AT-2. These watches are a solid piece of titanium (they use a nato-style strap as the "pins" don't come out) and have recessed crystals. I also got their pro-guard which is an elastomer case cover that slips over the watch to provide added impact and abrasion resistance (which further protects the crystal!). So far I am pretty pleased with the purchase and think it is a great choice.

As an aside, I was recently inspired (by Man v. Wild ... I know, I know smile ) to start practising using my watch as a compass with the sun and am getting pretty comfortable with it.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 07:05 PM

I like that Bertucci watch! I will definitely look into one of those as a potential "next watch", when my current one dies. I doubt it will ever die the way it's been holding up for me, however, the crystal is getting chipped around the edges and has on scratch on it. So the watch may get replaced at some point.
Posted by: Deathwind

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 08:04 PM

I wear a simple Timex Trail Blazer with 12/24 hr dial, luminous and with indiglo. I prefer the analog, though I've noticed some people in their teens and early twenties can not tell time by them.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Deathwind
I prefer the analog, though I've noticed some people in their teens and early twenties can not tell time by them.

I only buy my kids analogue watches smile
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/17/14 11:16 PM

Casio MTG-900 has been my watch for a few years now.

The pros are...
-Solar recharge
-Atomic time update
-Metal band
-G-shock
-Waterproof
-Lighter than it looks

The one con is...
-No countdown timer

By the way, I have several cool watches in my watch drawer. Each requires a regular battery. The last battery died a few years ago. I haven't bothered replacing any batteries since I got this Casio, the only watch I wear. I use this Casio to set the time on other clocks and watches.

If this watch fails, I will buy another one, instead of trying to repair. I have already gotten my money's worth and then some.
Posted by: Deathwind

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/18/14 12:20 AM

good move denis.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/18/14 03:02 PM

I think you need to figure out what you want out of a watch, first, or else you'll continue to be overwhelmed.

My daily watch is a Marathon Navigator's wrist watch (no date, unlike the link)
http://www.marathonwatch.com/product/navigator-quartz-date

My dress watch is a Citizen Eco Drive Titanium; like this, but silver backing. http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/watch-detail/?model=AT0940-50E#filters=0940-50E

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/18/14 05:42 PM

I forgot to mention, my dress watch is a Tissot PRC 200. I really like it too and haven't run into any problems with it (unlike my string of bad experiences with my casual watches), but I am thinking that is likely due to its sapphire crystal which is supposed to be much tougher than regular mineral crystals.

That said, it was a gift and, where I'm at now, I don't know that its in a price range I'd personally be considering if I was shopping for a new watch smile.

Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/18/14 05:59 PM

Like Denis and others I like a basic watch. I wear the same one for outdoors, daily wear and dress. Mine for the last decade or so has been a Seiko like this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/350809876558?clk_rvr_id=604689189941&crlp=1_262691&mt_id=641&mid=428969&sdc_id=1395163709z232702z4d073b0a818zzz&fitem=350809876558&linkin_id=8080378&kw={query}&crdt=0&sortbid=13

only with a stainless bezel and a (or many) Zulu nylon band. No batteries, rugged (I have broken a large number of watches), easy to see at night, has a rotating bezel and date (all I NEED). It meets all my needs very well. The sapphire crystal is hard to scratch (and I try). If someone wants to give me a nice dress watch like Denis got, I am sure I would wear it once or twice a year.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/18/14 06:09 PM

On of my buddies had a Tissot Automatic Mechanical (Slightly different face bought 5 years ago), a really nice and handsome attractive watch, but he said it spent more time at the Jewelers getting the movement repaired as it would either lose or gain 5-15 minutes each day. I think he's now wearing a Timex.

Glad to here you've had no problems with yours. The clear glass backside of the watch showing the movement was really cool!

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/18/14 06:28 PM

Quote:
I prefer the analog, though I've noticed some people in their teens and early twenties can not tell time by them.

Appalling, an affront to the memory of John Harrison and his H-series clocks. wink

I bet they wouldn't have clue how to use a sextant either for navigation and they wear Velcro shoes.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/18/14 06:33 PM

My Tissot is not an automatic; it has a quarts movement. I expect there's less potential for things to go wrong with this type of model.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/18/14 09:20 PM

There's a Rolex Submariner I got while on active duty sitting in the safe. It's too heavy and not as accurate as those cheap Casio's. For the rare occasions a more dressy watch is required, I do have a manual wind Hamilton. Both of these are great looking watches, but for something for everyday wear and that can easily be replaced, Casio "Tough Solar" is the way to go.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/19/14 04:51 PM

My everyday watch is an Invicta Quinotaur Anniversary Edition Russian Diver - mechanical. I also have an Invicta quartz Russian Diver in black and silver, an Invicta Corduba Instrumental - automatic, a Croton something or other - quartz, and Bulova "dress watch" - quartz. I haven't decided on what to do for a digital watch, yet. I had a Timex Ironman for a bunch of years. I liked it because of the countdown feature. I used it for swimming. I would set the time to 38 minutes and then see if I could swim 1600 meters before it went off. It also had a countdown/count feature. You set a time for it to count down, start it and it would beep when it got to zero. It would then count up to the time - and cycle. It was good for running/interval training. I never did an Ironman. Good watch, though. I keep looking at the high-end Casios with all the gizmos and sensors.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/19/14 06:26 PM

i wonder how many wear a cheap watch because they don't want to get stuck up and robbed for it,a fancy watch says i have bucks.
the best watch i ever had i got at the PX in Korea in 68 and i gave it to my houseboy,a x-Korean Army guy and no kid,when i walked out the hut and went back to the States.
the second best watch is at the bottom of a wilderness lake in Canada.i reached for my fishing rod and that flip-over latch on the band just touched the gunwale of the canoe and off it went.
my favorite watch is one i got by mail from Germany over 30 years ago from a ad in a gun magazine.Wolfram Debler or some name like that. a high end copy of a WW2 German Army watch with a big gong on the second hand and self winding.it stopped a few years ago and went to a drawer.
my Grandfather was buried with his gold pocket watch from Scotland that he had all his life,does anyone do that anymore?
Posted by: bws48

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/19/14 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
i wonder how many wear a cheap watch because they don't want to get stuck up and robbed for it,a fancy watch says i have bucks.

This is another reason I wear the cheapo watch that I do (besides the fact hat it keeps great time).
I also have a Rolex GMT Master that I bought in the PX in 1973 for a couple of hundred. I'm afraid to wear it any more. The replacement value is way beyond crazy now. Great watch, but not worth the chance of losing or damaging it. . .

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/19/14 08:22 PM

I wear a cheap watch, but it's not because I am giving up and allowing criminals to have control over what I do. Far from it.
Posted by: barbakane

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/19/14 09:39 PM

Anyone of these...must be in the minority. Couldn't have just one watch to wear all the time...just ain't gonna happen.

Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/19/14 10:53 PM

LOL! We all have our fetishes! Mine is not watches but I have a few friends that have more than you do. They are nice though.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/20/14 02:02 AM

Turning out to be a good thread.

Thanks everyone for all the posts, links, recommendations, likes, etc. As MDinana pointed out, I think my first issue is I'm really having a tough time (no pun intended) deciding what I want out of a "watch". Just date/time, or more features, but if more features, which ones.....

The part of me that likes a full feature wrist device really likes the Casio PWR2500, but it doesn't have Sunrise/Sunset, is a little large for my wrist and has the older Ver. 2 sensor.

The newer Casios with the Ver. 3 Sensor don't have the multi-feature display of the PRW2500 and don't have moon phase info (but do have Sunrise/Sunset available). They are noticeably smaller, more proportioned to my wrist and render information faster than the older Pathfinder/ProTrek. The PRW3000 has the Ver. 3 sensor and looks ok, but reminds me almost too much of my Suunto. The PRG270 also with the new sensor is significantly less dollars than the older PRW2500 but not as visually appealing to me.

How can one company make so many models and not have the combination of features I’m wanting? Only one G-Shock with Triple Sensor and it’s the older V2 sensor?

I almost considered the new Garmin Tactix for a minute but price combined with need to charge it (monthly -- which will probably turn into a weekly event) are non-starters.

I like the Smiths but didn't see one with a date option.

I'm really liking the Bertucci AT-2 as a straight up time/date and the price looks reasonable for a titanium timepiece.

I like the Tritium on the LAPG, but probably going to stay away from battery watches; -- there's those priorities again I need to come to terms with.

So, I'm really going to try and focus on my priorities and I'll go through the all the links you provided again.

Barbakane -- nice collection. Maybe I need to look at this as a first purchase of several over the next few years.

As watches are relatively light to carry, I'm really am thinking I want two watches:
1) one solar or self-winding for longer-term simplicity and reliability
2) one with more features to satisfy the information junkie in me.

In the meantime, please keep the suggestions rolling in.

At this rate, I probably won't purchase until after Easter although by then Casio will probably have another dozen models out.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/20/14 04:11 AM

I'm going lower and lower tech all the time. Switched from digital to analog several years ago. Next up, I think I'll drop the date window. Because with the analog watches, you have to manually update that for months that are less than 31 days. I always forget to do that. I noticed a while back that my date was off by five days! Guess I hadn't manually updated it recently (and obviously, I don't look at the date very often to have noticed!)

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/20/14 04:37 AM

i do some web searching,old used ones mostly,but the stuff coming out of China these days is really "something".watches the size of pop can tops with a few phony dials.every color under the sun with a nutty military look.the ones from Japan are so artsy i can't even read the dial!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/20/14 01:05 PM

I just want a watch that tells time accurately, with no muss or fuss - the cheaper, the better. I usually wind up with a Casio or a Times (actually they are battery powered, so I don't wind up anything).

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/20/14 01:23 PM

Most of the time I'm not wearing a watch at all. I only wear one when accurate time is a factor and often it just doesn't matter. The clock on my cellphone is more than adequate.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/20/14 04:15 PM

The newer version of my favorite watch has a countdown timer. I guess I'll be updating. Apparently, Casio listens to its customers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094BK...;pf_rd_i=507846

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/20/14 04:31 PM

It's not that. I wear a watch for functionality, not as a jewelry piece. My requirements on functionality are pretty strict, and I don't see expensive watches that fit the bill. Or at least I don't see expensive watches that fit the bill better than watches in the $200 range.

Also, I'm not the type to repair a watch and get to know my favorite jeweler. I prefer to replace. If a $200 watch lasts for 3+ years of workouts, snowboarding, and swimming, then I got my money's worth.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/20/14 07:21 PM

I had to look to see what I actually had on! smile

It is a Citizen - clock face with day/date. Very simple and quick to read with and without reading glasses. The hour marks have tiny luminscent stripes in them as well as the hands. I can usually make out the time in the dark as long as the stripes have been exposed to light. Waterproof to 30m, I've worn it while swimming and kayaking without any issues.

For me simple is better. If I had to put my reading glasses on to even read the time then it isn't simple anymore. Doesn't have to pretty. I'm not making a fashion statement. Doesn't need to be expensive. No $25k Rolex for me.

No alarm, no dual time, no stopwatch, no rotating bezel, no compass, yada yada. My smartphone does all that and better.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/21/14 04:08 AM

As far as getting held up, it is not likely. I am over 6 feet and 230 pounds - not your typical target. I am not as big as Blast and Benjammin, but close enough. Also, I tend to stay out of areas where the baddies like to be for their nefarious activities. Situational awareness - always looking for an escape.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/21/14 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
[quote=CANOEDOGS]If a $200 watch lasts for 3+ years of workouts, snowboarding, and swimming, then I got my money's worth.

My Timex Ironman cost $25 when I bought it and it lasted through many miles of swimming and years (at least 8) of daily wear. In fact, I cannot remember why I don't have it anymore. It went the same place as my Gerber Multitool - inexplicably beamed up.
Posted by: Fyrediver

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/21/14 07:05 AM

I wear the cheapest one that I can find, usually a Timex or Casio. I only wear it at work and they get destroyed pretty regularly. I still need a second timer for vitals and a watch for date / time for reporting.

I usually shop at Campmor for watches on sale and buy a few at a time. Always have a spare for when the next one bites the dust!
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/21/14 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Most of the time I'm not wearing a watch at all. I only wear one when accurate time is a factor and often it just doesn't matter. The clock on my cellphone is more than adequate.

I would think the clock on your cell phone would be more accurate as most watches are not synced with a NTP source.

I have small arms/wrists so any watch stick out a lot, I've never been able to keep one for very long. I saw some clip on ones in the Cabelas catalog, anyone ever try those, sort of like a pocket watch but clip in your beltloop/backpack.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/21/14 01:24 PM

Suunto Ambit 2 HR. I friggin' love the thing. First watch I've ever owned that cost over $40 or so.

I use the GPS tracking feature all the time when rucking and love being able to upload the tracks and share them online with friends via the website.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/23/14 09:56 PM

Stick with an automatic, self winding all stainless steel model rated at AT LEAST 200 meters water resistant. Most of mine are below $120 when on sale. Auto's when properly cared for will outlast you, and no battery needed. Make sure you get one with a screw down crown, just another way to keep the water resistance intact. I had an automatic "dive watch", three hand, rated as a dive watch, went to the water park and got the movement wet. Ruined the timepiece. Since then, if the watch doesn't have a screw down crown, it's a deal breaker. Stick with a brand name, since their customer service will be better. I don't need barometer, temperature, compass, stopwatch, toothpick, seismograph, geiger counter, spatula, or tire iron with my watch. About the only complication I go with is a date display, but it's not mandatory. A good auto and a decent quartz are all you really need. But I have a "sickness", and consider just one watch for everything almost as bad as having to eat the same food day after day. Variety is the spice of life.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/24/14 12:30 AM

I've been dying to find an auto watch w/ tritium hands (including second hand), for a relatively reasonable price.

For example, Citizen's Eco Drive can be almost $100 for basic models on Amazon, but they don't offer tritium on any watch (that I can tell).

Almost all tritium watches I see are battery powered, or running north of $700.

Given that you can find basic tritium watches around $200, why in the world are they charging so much?

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/24/14 03:00 PM

Quote:
Given that you can find basic tritium watches around $200, why in the world are they charging so much?

An Automatic Mechanical watch with a Miyota 8215 movement for $259

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyota_8215

http://www.amazon.com/DeTomaso-DT2027-B-...ywords=DT2027-B

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/24/14 06:57 PM

You will be VERY hard pressed to find anything even REMOTELY close to this deal...auto T100 tritium tubes, built like a tank. Have ten Androids and they are FANTASTIC watches, and best bang for the buck....no affiliation.

http://www.android-usa.com/product-p/ad593bbu.htm

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/24/14 07:19 PM

Man, if that 45mm hadn't sold out ....

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/26/14 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: barbakane
You will be VERY hard pressed to find anything even REMOTELY close to this deal...auto T100 tritium tubes, built like a tank. Have ten Androids and they are FANTASTIC watches, and best bang for the buck....no affiliation.

Wow, I better get an evening job to supplement my daily income. laugh

That does look nice. Maybe I need to put some dollars away and try and be an extra good boy this year and maybe Santa will surprise me.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/26/14 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: buckeye

Wow, I better get an evening job to supplement my daily income. laugh

That does look nice. Maybe I need to put some dollars away and try and be an extra good boy this year and maybe Santa will surprise me.

A couple days ago at that same link, that watch was on sale for something around $200. Now, it's at the regular price of $450.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/26/14 05:22 AM

So, I'm out browsing the site in your link and come across one that i think, "wow, I really like that one" (not noticing the price).

Click on the image and then I surely notice it. blush

I have this knack; the one I seem to like most out out of various choices, it's almost always the most expensive one. cry

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/26/14 05:41 AM

So, I'm out browsing the site in your link and come across one that i think, "wow, I really like that one" (not noticing the price).

Click on the image and then I surely notice it. blush

I have this knack; the one I seem to like most out out of various choices, it's almost always the most expensive one. cry

The price is because of the diamonds. They have similar watches without the diamonds.
Posted by: AbramSearcy

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/26/14 08:34 AM

Spam removed.

chaosmagnet
Posted by: cliff

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/26/14 12:28 PM

OK then...

Yes, this appears to be spam. But I'm not deleting it as an object lesson - don't skimp on the language translation software.

"Bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world" - that there takes some skillz.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/26/14 01:25 PM

Spammers intentionally use gibberish like that to confuse anti-spam software.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/26/14 02:39 PM

Put that through the right encryption software and you may be able to break the code. Looks like lots of words masquerading as thought.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/26/14 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: cliff
OK then...

Yes, this appears to be spam. But I'm not deleting it as an object lesson - don't skimp on the language translation software.

"Bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world" - that there takes some skillz.

I'll PM Blast to see if he can remove it.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/26/14 10:29 PM

I'll PM Blast to see if he can remove it.

Think of Blast as the Sheriff and me as his patrol deputy. Around The Campfire is my beat. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have a concern.

chaosmagnet
Posted by: pworks36

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 03/28/14 01:53 AM

I bought a Rolex Explorer back in B.C. days (before children). It started losing minutes per day so I have set it aside until I can get it maintained (yes, about $750 so it may be a a while). In the interim (however long that may be) I have found the automatics at CountyComm to be very satisfactory. The "superluminova C3" (I had to look this stuff up) is exceptionally bright with only minimal sun (or flashlight) time. Frankly I don't have a lot of operational need for tritium. The watch has proven to be very durable and I am very fond of the clean dial. It has proven water resistant and accurate (ca. +/- 30 sec per day . I have the Maratac Pilot original (with the triangle at the 12 o'clock position). Usual disclaimer, not affiliated etc. Just sharing my experience.

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 04/09/14 09:32 PM

Somewhere in this thread are comments regarding the CountyComm MARATAC™ PILOT AUTOMATIC WATCH. I had been looking for another automatic watch and based on those comments I ordered one. I'm wearing it now and so far it's keeping time. Very clean, plain, almost Spartan dial; I like it. I set the time and will give it a few days to see how well it does re fast/slow. Time will tell ... lol
Posted by: chickenlittle

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 04/10/14 03:26 AM

Timex expedition, a nice inexpensive analog face quartz movement.
The only extra features are the indiglo lighting and the date window.

It is easy to read, keeps good time, it is easy to reset, and it is reasonably durable.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 04/10/14 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: chickenlittle
Timex expedition, a nice inexpensive analog face quartz movement.
The only extra features are the indiglo lighting and the date window.

I just bought a Timex Expedition a couple weeks ago, too. It's a nice field-type watch that is inexpensive enought that I won't mind beating it up. A bit heavier than I expected but I like the feel of the extra heft. No complaints. Haven't tried submerging it yet.

Oh, and having that Indiglo feature on an analog watch is really handy! Sometime you feel a little helpless having an expensive analog watch and you can't tell the time because it's too dark.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 04/26/14 10:00 PM

Stick with an automatic, self winding all stainless steel model rated at AT LEAST 200 meters water resistant. Most of mine are below $120 when on sale. Auto's when properly cared for will outlast you, and no battery needed.
It's the "when properly cared for" that undermines it for me. They have moving parts, which need oil, which can turn to gloop. Many experts recommend getting automatics serviced every 5 years, or less. Servicing can cost hundreds of dollars. Solar powered watches do use batteries that will fail eventually, but in practice they will last a lot longer than 5 years.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days - 04/26/14 11:03 PM

Casio solar powered G shock. Last one lasted almost 10 yrs before the battery finally would not charge. Have two, a $40 cheapy - time/date, not much else I use. Does not self regulate. $200 one I got at Sam's on sale, lots of bells and whistles, best part it does the self regulation on time. Have a Seiko divers watch, bought in 79. Need to get it serviced I guess. 2d band.