Found A Pack

Posted by: Deathwind

Found A Pack - 03/08/14 04:51 PM

Recently I ran a thread here asking for suggestions on a daypack to replace the one I had been using but which had been destroyed. I received a lot of suggestions, links and endorsements. All appreciated very much. I was still trying to decide on which one would best suit my needs when I found one at Wally World. It's a Fieldline Alpha Ops "tactical" model in coyote or dark rather whatever the designers are calling that color this month. Lots of pockets inside and out, both mesh and solid, the slab pocket was a bonus I hadn't thought of before, covered with molle webbing and a cushy carry handle. The drawbacks are the weight, the frame sheet could be better and it could use more cushioning for heavy loads. It was listed at $39.97 and I was going to pass but the guy working sporting goods pointed out that it was on clearance for $20.00, so I grabbed it while I could. No mesh water bottle pockets like I wanted, but I think I can go a lot larger than the 2 liter hydration bladder they list, but naturally, don't include.
The features tag on it claim it's 21.5IN x 13.4IN x 8.6IN Or for the metricly inclined 54CM x 34CM x 22 CM. Capacity is 52 liters or 3177.45 cubic inches. The website lists the same pack as being a tiny bit larger, taking it up to maximum carry on size.
All in all, for twenty bucks it would be hard to beat, despite not having the water bottle pockets.
Has anyone here had any experience with this model?

http://www.fieldline.com/Products/alpha-ops-internal-frame-pack/44
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Found A Pack - 03/08/14 06:32 PM

No experience with the brand but it looks like a steal. Nice find!
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Found A Pack - 03/08/14 06:35 PM

Hmm, looks very similar to my Camelbak Motherlode pack. The Camelbak lacks any sort of frame and missing the big gusseted side pocket. I don't see a big advantage to the frame. But then I keep the pack full as it's been my go bag since 2005. In my opinion, a good solid and ergonomic hip belt is by far the more important feature.

The Camelbak is a tough bag. Mine's been through a lot, and none the worse for wear. If the stitching and the zippers on the Fieldline are as good, it should hold up well. I suspect the zippers are the weak link on this unit, though.

The price is certainly better than the Camelbak. But that's because the Motherlode is marketed to military heavily, and the price is part of the marketing hype. Fortunately, I got mine at the PX in Baghdad, so I didn't pay the premium.

For the price, if I needed another pack, I would seriously consider the Alpha One. On the face, it looks suitable.

Re: Found A Pack - 03/08/14 07:14 PM

Chaos

Thanks

Ben

The frame is one ribbed aluminum stay which rides over the spine.
There is a wide hi[ belt with more molle webbing. One pocket has me puzzled, its a small narrow mesh pocket but has top and bottom zippers. Zippers seem good for now. I have discovered that the left shoulder strap slips through the Fastex buckle far to easily. Not sure if this is a flaw in the anchor strap or in the buckle itself, may take it back in exchange for another. My bad for not testing it in store but I would have had to break the plastic tabs securing the straps. This time I'll ask the clerk if I can do so. I'm sure he won't mind.
Thanks for the information.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Found A Pack - 03/08/14 09:12 PM

One thing to look at is the material it is made of. Some of the vinyl backed polyesters look like good Cordura Nylon on the outside, but do not have nearly the strength to hold stitches at stress points. Polyesters with a urethane coating are pretty good. Cordura is far superior. If it looks like vinyl on the inside, I would avoid it for all but light use.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Found A Pack - 03/08/14 09:35 PM

Normally, if the pack is Cordura Nylon the description of the bag says so, otherwise it's something else. In this case the description is silent re material so my thinking is that it's something other than nylon. That said, I could be wrong -- that's the problem with inferring from lack of information.

Re: Found A Pack - 03/08/14 10:58 PM

Clear and Russ

It does have a backing, The nylon is a woven nylon that looks like a light cordura. Thanks for the information. I think I'll test it with heavy, awkward loads for a few weeks and see how it holds up. Nice thing about wally world is they'll exchange it if it doesn't survive the test. I'd rather it fail now, then when I need it miles from home.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Found A Pack - 03/08/14 11:19 PM

Does the tag on the bag say that it's nylon?

Re: Found A Pack - 03/08/14 11:31 PM

There is absolutely no mention of the material in the entire six picture laden pages. It does say it has a lifetime warranty so I went to their site and it's a lot of hot air. Check it out.

http://www.fieldline.com/Warranties/lifetime-warranty/1

Re: Found A Pack - 03/09/14 03:55 PM

Izzy

That's not good. Thanks for the information.
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Found A Pack - 03/10/14 03:00 PM

I had just found it was available at our local walmart, was going to stop there tonight, but you just saved me $20 and some heartache down the road when the pack falls apart, thanks for the heads up. If i'm gonna get a pack this size i think i'll go with the $30 LA police gear pack mentioned in the daypack thread (no affilaitions, just looks like a good pack and comes with ETS members recommendations to boot).
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Found A Pack - 03/10/14 04:32 PM

I am intrigued at the extent to which this thread has focused on the tactical type of day pack, which in my experience, aren't all that great. I bought a Maxpedition Vulture 2 a few years ago,drawn by its sturdy construction and adaptability (all those molle patches). Can't say I am too impressed, however. It is clunky and rather heavy, burdened with a bunch of features which only add to the weight, like load lifter straps which can't perform as such, but which look dreadfully cool. Its capacity is rather small,at 2800 cu. in.

If one is looking for a good, versatile, tough pack, seek out something that is designed for climbing and summit use. There are lots of packs available from brands like REI, LLBean, North Face, Kelty, Gregory, Patagonia,(among others) which will be well constructed and designed and will last for years of hard use (like the Camelback that Ben mentioned earlier). For a given capacity, they will be reasonably light. Don't let the lighter fabrics fool you. I have carried a Lowe "Alpine Summit Attack" (how's that for macho?)for many years and used it a lot. It features light weight fabric, and thin straps and outstanding durability.

Realistically, I don't think you will get a decent back pack for twenty bucks these days. Plan on spending more and doing the research and trials. You will be glad you did.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Found A Pack - 03/10/14 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am intrigued at the extent to which this thread has focused on the tactical type of day pack, which in my experience, aren't all that great. .....If one is looking for a good, versatile, tough pack, seek out something that is designed for climbing and summit use. There are lots of packs available from brands like REI, LLBean, North Face, Kelty, Gregory, Patagonia,(among others) which will be well constructed and designed and will last for years of hard use (like the Camelback that Ben mentioned earlier). .....
Hikermor, I just don't think you appreciate the importance of being "Tacticool". smile

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Realistically, I don't think you will get a decent back pack for twenty bucks these days. Plan on spending more and doing the research and trials. You will be glad you did.
In packs, there is well made, full featured, and cheap. Pick which two you want. Or, as the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for!"

Re: Found A Pack - 03/10/14 09:07 PM

Hey guts

Tactical has absolutely nothing to do with it. If anything I avoid things with tactical in the title because the word is so over used.
I liked the design, size, organizational abilities and the price. Yes the molle webbing might come in handy some day. The clerk told me that he bought one of the smaller ones for his son after he had worn out three normal daypacks and the "tactical" was still going strong. I'm going to test it hard and if it fails take it back. Fieldline's lifetime warranty is all hit air, but Wal-msrt should make it good.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Found A Pack - 03/11/14 01:57 AM

Quote:
No mesh water bottle pockets like I wanted

Just add a PALS Molle Water Bottle carrier on each side of the pack.

http://www.flyyeindustries.com/ArticleShow.asp?ProdID=0166

These Flyye pouches are handy, they will also take an 81mm Mortar Bomb as well.. wink

Re: Found A Pack - 03/11/14 02:19 AM

Quote:
I am intrigued at the extent to which this thread has focused on the tactical type of day pack, which in my experience, aren't all that great. I bought a Maxpedition Vulture 2 a few years ago,drawn by its sturdy construction and adaptability (all those molle patches). Can't say I am too impressed, however. It is clunky and rather heavy, burdened with a bunch of features which only add to the weight, like load lifter straps which can't perform as such, but which look dreadfully cool. Its capacity is rather small,at 2800 cu. in.

PALs Molle kit can be heavy and not very space efficient, but it is very flexible and modular. I think that these Heavier packs can be useful for folks especially in the USA so as to keep kit and things adequately organised. i.e. different pouch/zipped compartments can be used for various uses such medical kits, shelter kits, cooking and stove kits etc. (Although for some reason rarely a sleep system kit crazy) The weight is a secondary after thought as walking carrying heavier load outs will be secondary to just slinging them in the back of a vehicle.

There is quite an influence on users of these military inspired back packs, whether they are cheaper Chinese made knockoffs or some rather overpriced backpacks such as Maxpedition Vulture 2, probably due to the numbers of Youtube BOB videos out there. Most of the back systems on the Military influenced backpacks do fall quite short compared to the likes of a good Lowe Alpine adjustable back system and full hip belts to load transfer to the hips etc. They are backpacks not Bergens. These military back packs should really be used with appropriate webbing systems such as a Molle battle belt harness to better distribute the loads being carried etc.

Most of these folks, who produce these BOB videos are also well armed so press ganging a few civilian Sherpas into action to carry their uncomfortable and inadequate 60+lb packs during SHTF really shouldn't be a problem.. wink

Re: Found A Pack - 03/11/14 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
I am intrigued at the extent to which this thread has focused on the tactical type of day pack, which in my experience, aren't all that great.
PALs Molle kit can be heavy and not very space efficient, but it is very flexible and modular. I think that these Heavier packs can be useful for folks especially in the USA so as to keep kit and things adequately organised. i.e. different pouch/zipped compartments can be used for various uses such medical kits, shelter kits, cooking and stove kits etc. (Although for some reason rarely a sleep system kit crazy) The weight is a secondary after thought as walking carrying heavier load outs will be secondary to just slinging them in the back of a vehicle.
MOLLE and similar tactical style gear is a very specialized adaptation, primarily for military uses. It does have advantages for those folks.

However IMHO, the vast majority of civilian buyers of this gear would be much better served with a simpler, lighter design. Most all of the really skookum outdoors people I know prefer a much cleaner exterior for their pack. Less excess material to add weight, and less pockets, flaps, buckles, and other crap to snag on brush. Organization is usually better achieved by sorting your gear into several stuff bags, inside the pack. The newer silnyl stuff bags are strong, waterproof, and weigh nothing.

There is quite an influence on users of these military inspired back packs....
That is the "Tacticool" effect. Don't you know...you automatically become a lean mean tough machine when you put on a coyote colored pack with lots of MOLLE stuff attached? smile
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Found A Pack - 03/11/14 03:48 AM

I'm enjoying this discussion. We have about nine backpacks in our house, none of them tactical or with molle. So I better get one. And the LLBean basic rucksack is still a great and versatile deal.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Found A Pack - 03/11/14 03:50 AM

It's likely because you don't see a lot of non-infantry uniformed military sporting expedition grade packs. These tac-packs were carry over from war, which we've been exposed to continuously now for over a decade. Like I said, we had these as go bags in Baghdad in 2005; every mainline contractor seemed to have something like this over there. I kept mine hanging on the wall beside my body armor next to my door, or at the end of my cot facing the tent opening. When the whistle blew, you slid on your boots and your helmet, grabbed your bag and your armor, and ran for the bunker. If you had to be evaced, you had the basics you needed with you; the rest you left for later, assuming you could get back. Since then I've augmented the pack, and yes, it is awkward compared to my external frame hunting/hiking pack. If I were planning on going cross country, I would grab the framed pack. But for day to day stuff, the Motherlode is adequate.

Funny, except for the self defense/E&E stuff, my loadout for the big pack for bug out (or whatever) is strikingly similar to what I'd take for a two week hiking trip for recreation.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Found A Pack - 03/11/14 07:18 AM

I have a similar setup at my house, Benjammin! Not much of a "go bag" but armor hanging on the back of my door next to the "zombie guns" that I keep in a state of readiness.

I like MOLLE on a pack to a degree since I like having certain things on the outside. But my True North Gear SERAC SAR is the best daypack I have yet found. Sadly it seems to be have discontinued. I've got a Double Diamond from TNG too, and it also seems to have been phased out. A real pity.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Found A Pack - 03/11/14 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR

However IMHO, the vast majority of civilian buyers of this gear would be much better served with a simpler, lighter design. Most all of the really skookum outdoors people I know prefer a much cleaner exterior for their pack. Less excess material to add weight, and less pockets, flaps, buckles, and other crap to snag on brush. Organization is usually better achieved by sorting your gear into several stuff bags, inside the pack. The newer silnyl stuff bags are strong, waterproof, and weigh nothing.

I'm a civilian pack kind of guy. I really don't like having things attached on the outside. It throws ruins the balance of the pack. Having the modular approach, really doesn't work for me either. The penalty of weight, bulk and cost is just not worth it. Might as well buy another slightly larger pack to carry more things. Outdoor packs usually also have a better frame/carry system.

I never really worn out a proper outdoor pack. Yes, the cheap junk does wear out, but that is just getting what you pay for. the proper stuff just seems to last forever.

Re: Found A Pack - 03/11/14 01:39 PM

Quote:
I really don't like having things attached on the outside.

I'm not really adverse to little PALs molle webbing on a backpack as long as the pack covers the basic features of good civilian pack and the manufacturers of the pack haven't gone Molle 'mad'. The Lowe Alpine Salient Bergen is a one of my favorite packs for outings a great deal longer than the ubiquitous BOB 72hrs period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkT2Rfggq5k

If I need a little more capacity say for another 3-4 days of food carrying capacity I can add another 7 Litres capacity with 2 extra Molle Pouches

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tactical-Utility...LCS+molle+pouch

Re: Found A Pack - 03/11/14 02:06 PM

Quote:
That is the "Tacticool" effect. Don't you know..

The 'Tacticool' operators on those Youtube BOB videos do make me laugh especially when they don't know how to attach PALs Molle pouches properly. laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OjIqTwgjdk
Posted by: Arney

Re: Found A Pack - 03/11/14 02:38 PM

The 'Tacticool' operators on those Youtube BOB videos do make me laugh especially when they don't know how to attach PALs Molle pouches properly. laugh

I have to admit, I never knew (nor needed to know) the proper way to attach MOLLE pouches until now. Hat tip on that informative video, AFLM.

Now, do they make bathrobes with MOLLE? I like to be prepared--always. wink

They really should give that video clip a more descriptive title so more people can benefit from it.
Posted by: Nomad

Re: Found A Pack - 03/11/14 04:58 PM

I think it depends on how you use your pack. If I am just transporting gear to a site, then the big bag pack works OK. But if I am working out of the pack, then the "tactical" packs are a better choice for me.

Having the ability to configure the pack for the activities expected is a big advantage. Some days I want my PLB where I can easily access it, some days it stays home.

I don't have to dig through a big pack to find something. I can open a small pocket, get what I need and return it when done. This reduces the risk of dropping something un-noticed or having rain or dust coat everything.

My Maxpedition pack is over 15 years old. It leads a hard life. Last week it spent 4 hours in the back of a pick-up, along with assorted hardware like Hi-lift jacks, winch cable, shovels etc, as it bounced down a desert road. Several of the light weight packs developed chafe holes. Mine still looks like new.

Having gear in multiple pockets also reduces loss from cut & run theives. They may cut a pocket, but my pack will not do a gear dump on the street. Also, wearing it in front as is customary in the third world, or US urban areas, means I can get something out of a pocket without exposing all my contents to onlookers.

Guess it depends on how you use your gear.

Nomad

Re: Found A Pack - 03/12/14 01:30 AM

I found the video on the Lowe Salient quite fascinating. I have a somewhat smaller Lowe pack dating from the early 1980s that was my SAR bag then. It has many features in common with the Salient, although it lacks the adjustability and hydration system of the more recent model. I assume the top lid of the Salient can be detached for use as a separate waist pack; the video didn't seem to cover that point.

My pack saw a fair amount of hard use - tossed in and out of helicopters and pickups, slept on and stepped on - it has stood up quite well and I still use it now and then.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Found A Pack - 03/12/14 02:33 AM

Tomfaranda, you are correct re the LL Bean rucksack. Possibly the best bang for the backpack in the ~2000cu. In. range. It's only drawback is that the fabric, albeit strong, is a bit light/thin.

Re: Found A Pack - 03/12/14 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Nomad
I think it depends on how you use your pack. If I am just transporting gear to a site, then the big bag pack works OK. But if I am working out of the pack, then the "tactical" packs are a better choice for me.

Having the ability to configure the pack for the activities expected is a big advantage. Some days I want my PLB where I can easily access it, some days it stays home.

I don't have to dig through a big pack to find something. I can open a small pocket, get what I need and return it when done. This reduces the risk of dropping something un-noticed or having rain or dust coat everything. .....
Indeed, how you use your pack does matter. However, rather that re-configuring the pack for different activities, I prefer to choose the pack to fit the activity. Being an old fart, I have managed to aquire a quiver of assorted packs over the years. Here are the ones that see the most use these days.

I have a Dana Designs Bridger that I bought sometime in the early '90s. I think it's about 4000 cu inches. It stays packed all the time for SAR callouts, though the contents vary somewhat with the seasons. One decent sized pocket in the top flap, and two very large "scuba tank" external pockets. But still nicely streamlined. It's been used hard, but is built very stout, my old body is wearing out way faster than that pack.

For casual day hiking, I have an REI Lookout that I have used extensively for several years. About 2400 cu inch. Several pockets easily accessable from the outside, yet still a very clean design.

I also have a Mountainsmith Tour lumbar pack that I like. I mostly use it with the twin shoulder straps, which carry much of the weight. I can put a lightweight shell jacket, a couple of energy bars, and a few odds and ends in it, and two water bottles in the side mesh pockets. It works for short hikes and XC ski trips where I don't want nor need to carry much. It is also very comfortable in hot weather. I sometimes fold the waist belt in, replace the twin shoulder straps with a single strap, and use it as a small carry on for flying. I can put my iPad mini, a book, and a few other things in it and it fits easily under the seat. When I reach my destination it becomes a "man purse".

I also have a Marmot Kompressor Plus. Very simple and ultralight, but still has a top pocket, and a pocket on the back. It is 1200 cubic inches but only weighs 12 oz. When I travel on business, I like to take advantage of any opportunities to get in a hike. The Kompressor can lay flat in the bottom of my luggage, taking up negligable room. But it is more than adequate for a day hike. The last time my wife and I flew down to the lower 48 for a familly gathering we used the Kompressor and the Mountainsmith, and snuck away one day to get in a very nice hike.

Note that all of these have at least a couple of readily accessible pockets for stuff I want easy access to. Other stuff goes inside the pack in light weight stuff sacks for organization. The newer ultralight dry sacks are awesome. They come in a range of sizes, and are totally waterproof, which is nice for my climate and activities. Using this approach I don't have a problem digging through my pack to find what I need.

Re: Found A Pack - 03/14/14 01:32 AM

I have been toying with the notion of modifying my Mountainsmith waist pack by sewing on the means to attach a larger bag to the straps, creating a civilian version of the wildland firefighter's pack. This gives one the ability to drop the larger bag if necessary, while critical material remains in the waist pack.

Modifying and customizing packs can improve gear and AFAIK, it is perfectly legal.......

Re: Found A Pack - 03/14/14 02:49 AM

How would modifying your gear be illegal? It's yours and you aren't offering it for commercial purposes or sale. That said I would advise against it. I'd keep the waist pack separate and carry the rest another way. Feces happen and at the worst possible times. I modified my waist pack with straps, buckles and D rings but carry it as a separate entity from the day pack. In the situation you allude to I could dump the pack and still have a full survival load for seventy two hours as I evacuate the area hastily. JMHO

Re: Found A Pack - 03/14/14 02:52 AM

That's what I had thought of in the store Am_Fear. Good to know that there are others who think like I do. Thanks

Re: Found A Pack - 03/14/14 03:18 AM

Ok
I bought the pack on a Friday, and they had about thirty of them hanging and stacked. Tuesday I went to exchange it and they were all gone. I've been torture testing it. First I bought a weeks worth of food, much of it canned, some ammo, videos, soda in 2 liter bottles and other bulky, heavy and awkward items at walmart and packed them in it. Next I loaded my laptop, power supply and all eight large heavy books in it and took them to the library where I got more books, then went shopping at the grocery store and walked home. Today I packed it for five days, including bedroll, tent, mattress, magazines etc and went for along hike which included a lot of climbing and uphill walking. So far I have found no damage or weak spots on it. Weight is am issue and it could handle it better, the padding and suspension could be better, also I'd like the frame sheet to be a bit more flexable and softer.