Looking For A Special PFD

Posted by: Deathwind

Looking For A Special PFD - 02/11/14 07:26 PM

I'm looking for a PFD for a trip to Alaska, then possibly warmer areas such as the islands. The requirements are as follows.

22-27 pounds of lift
neck collar
Zip closure with two external belt closures with fastex buckles
Leg straps
covered with gear pockets like the old avirex pilots survival vests but clear on the sides for a pistol and large survival knife
3-4 liter hydration pouch on back
Internal pockets would be a bonus
heavy duty d rings

I've looked around but haven't had any luck finding one with all the features I require. Any help will be most appreciated.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/12/14 05:49 PM

Deathwind,

I have looked for a similar vest many times. The closest I have found have been milspec aviation vests with inflateable PFD's. Similar to Mustang's: http://www.mustangsurvival.com/professional/msv971?division=military&country=25
or the LSI:
http://www.lifesupportintl.com/products/Life_Preserver_Survival_Vest_MK_46_SV-1381-581.html

I have seen tactical vests with flotation inserts but none of them are Coast Guard approved. The LBT is a good example:
http://lbtinc.com/vest-h-gear-carriers/vests/tactical-vest-w-flotation.html

Needing these items, you might try a survival vest over a good PFD. I have used this concept many times with success.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/12/14 10:45 PM

Have you considered a USGI Mae West PFD? It could be modified with leg straps added on, quite easily.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/12/14 11:18 PM

Blackhawk used to make a tactical floatation assault vest.not sure if they still do.Wouldn't hurt to check it out....

BOATMAN
John

Just checked the website www.blackhawk.com and they run $199.99

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/13/14 05:28 AM

Thamks for all the good info. I'll look into them. I had thought of sewing a tactical vest over a good PFD. Someone told me that the SECALs have what I want, but have yet to find any source for them. I'll be using it in air and on the water.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/13/14 06:01 AM

I have a Switlik aviation survival vest. It is a modular design, you pick and choose tthe pockets you need. Check out the Switlik Modular (MOLLE) Aircrew vest. It may be close to what you are looking for.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/13/14 01:04 PM

The problem with the tactical vests like the LBT and the Blackhawk is that while the flotation material is Coast Guard approved, the vests are not. At least none that I have seen.

If you are going to use it in an aircraft, DO NOT buy anything but an inflatable. It is often hard enough to get out of a cabin without being pinned to the high point (sometimes the floor) by your PFD.

Read Doug Ritters discussion on aviation vests on ETS. Although it is out of date (anything we can do to help Doug?) there is lots of good information on how to select a vest and how to use it.

See also Doug's Web Site for the Doug Ritter
Essentials™ Overwater Aviator Survival Vest™ based on the Switlik vest. The one he uses does not appear to allow for a hydration bladder, but I am sure it is a good one, I have seen nothing from him that isn't.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/13/14 03:51 PM

Not only should it be an inflatable, but unless you are riding an ejection seat, do not get a water activated inflation system.

Another way to go is with the Switlik LPU-32 . Take the vest of your choice and simply wear the LPU-32 in addition. Available on eBay - NEW-SWITLIK-LPU-32-P-US-Military-Survival-Life-Preserver

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/15/14 03:51 AM

That's something to consider, But I had ruled out inflatables because they can be punctured and I wouldn't know it until the worst possible moment. I'm not a strong swimmer

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/15/14 03:56 AM

Ok. The Switlick is definently closer to what I'mlooking for, and on my list of possbles. Thanks for the link to it. Do you or anyone else know of something with even more molle strapping and perhaps internal pockets?

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/15/14 04:41 AM

I don't know of any PFD's with internal pockets.

Every PFD certified for aircraft use of which I'm aware is an inflatable. Non-inflatables are much more bulky which makes them impractical for use in a good aircraft and since they are immediately buoyant when in the water, they are potentially deadly after the water landing, especially for a weak swimmer.

Learn to swim.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/15/14 05:23 AM

I did not know that. How are they potentially deadly? I can swim, just not well. That's why I want a PFD. And I spend a lot of time in the pool. We spent a summer on a friends boat and had Cabellas PFDs with extra gear in our abandon ship gear, but they would be inadequate for Alaska.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/15/14 02:16 PM

With a non-inflatable you would become buoyant inside the aircraft which could make it very difficult to move. Is your escape path totally dry just like it was before take-off? Probably not -- the aircraft interior may have a totally new configuration. The way out may be down.

Swimming well in the context of aircraft survival means being able to swim underwater, open a door/hatch that is under water and then go through that hatch. Doing that with an inflated PFD or non-inflatable PFD is not a good plan.

Finding a way out is your primary concern, once clear of the aircraft you inflate.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/15/14 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
With a non-inflatable you would become buoyant inside the aircraft which could make it very difficult to move. ..... Swimming well in the context of aircraft survival means being able to swim underwater, open a door/hatch that is under water and then go through that hatch. Doing that with an inflated PFD or non-inflatable PFD is not a good plan.

Finding a way out is your primary concern, once clear of the aircraft you inflate.
All true, except for one point. I've been to "dunker training" a couple of times and one point they always make very strongly is that if you find yourself swimming freely inside the aircraft you are probably going to die. Escape from a ditched aircraft is not really something one can cover in a short post, but rather requires practice. However, the sequence, at least as I was taught, goes something like this:

1. As soon as you board the aircraft, before takeoff, look around and plan your exit route. Pick a reference point you can grab firmly (see below). Locate the nearest way out, and memorize how to open it. Plan how to get there from your seat.
2. Keep your harness or seat belt fastened snugly.
3. If you have any warning before the aircraft ditches, try to assume a protective position. Try ot protect your head, face, and limbs.
4. After ditching, the aircraft will probably end up in some unusual orientation (see below). Before the cabin fills with water, take a deep breath. Visibility may be reduced, or it may be totally dark. Don't expect to be able to see anything. If you are lucky, some aircraft may float upright for awhile, but don't assume they will.
5. After the aircraft hits the water, do not immediately unbuckle your seat belt, but wait a couple of seconds for the aircraft to stabilize. (Helicopters usually roll over upside down, because the weight of the engine is up on top. Single engine fixed wings often turn nose down, because the weight of the engine is in front.)
6. Grab your fixed reference point before unbuckling your seat belt!
7. Once you have a firm grip on your fixed reference point, then unbuckle your belt, and make your way hand over hand to the exit. Always have a firm grip on something until you are completely outside the aircraft.
8. Once completely clear of the aircraft, you can inflate your PFD.

The last time I did dunker training they made us do it wearing a regular Type III PFD, just to make it more challenging. The same type PFD one might wear kayaking or water skiing, about 16 lbs floatation. The buoyancy did make it harder inside the aircraft mock up. However, using the hand over hand technique, one could still successfully make an exit. A good confidence booster.

EDIT: Check out this video. Listen to the Marine's comments. He was lucky in that he found a reference point before he ran out of air!

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/16/14 12:10 AM

Yep, that's pretty much it. You need to ensure you do not become disoriented in the turbulence following a ditching and practicing the required skills in a pool mock-up is highly recommended; teaching aircraft survival on a web forum is not the optimum format.

Last time I recertified one of the things I had to demonstrate was moving hand-over-hand down a pole underwater to a hatch, open the hatch and swim through. The helmet I wore doing this was buoyant and as long as I had a good hand-hold I could stay down, but as soon as I went through the hatch there was no hand-hold and the helmet pulled me straight to the surface. That was just a helmet, swimming underwater with a Type III PFD would be a challenge and following a real ditching you want to keep challenges to a minimum.

As to the question of picking a non-inflatable due to a fear of damage to an inflatable model, the Switlik model I have is fairly resilient with a nylon cover and the LPU-32 outer casing is Nomex. It would take a lot to seriously damage them, that would be far down my list of concerns. Successful egress following the ditching is #1.
Posted by: Fyrediver

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/16/14 03:56 AM

Something to consider is having the "survival vest" and pfd being separate entities. May not be perfect but it may meet your needs.

The Northwater guide vest is a mesh vest worn over the pfd. Not sure if an inflatable would work with it though. It's probably too tight.

http://www.northwater.com/html/products/sea_kayak/SKsubdirectory/Guide-Vest.html

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/19/14 05:13 AM

Great info from all of you. Thanks. I had considered a survival vest over a PFD. My thoughts were along a Mesh MOLLE vest like in the movie Commando. But haven't seen one of those in ages I like this guide vest and assume I could sew more pockets on it,. And the Switlik is promising. I was taught that when submerged to follow the bubbles since they have to go up.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/19/14 05:17 AM

Don't assume you'll be able to see the bubbles and even if you can, you may need to go down.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/19/14 05:23 AM

Thanks for the vid link. Really opened my eyes and has me rethinking my egress from a plane or boat after a crash or other emergency.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/19/14 09:39 PM

I have absolutely no plans on flying at night. But now that you've mentioned that you have me thinking of some floating light on a tether. Maybe one of the smaller, much brighter light sticks? It would supply light and indicate up. I'm also beginning to rethinkthe whole bush plane idea.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/19/14 11:46 PM

A handheld strobe light might be the best signaling light. They can be found at Marine stores.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/20/14 06:55 PM

Something that comes to mind when determining requirements. Are they really requirements or nice-to-haves? Be honest, this is no time for personal bias.

In the case of an aviation PFD, the first (#1) requirement is that the PFD does not interfere with egress from the aircraft. Only after #1 has been satisfied do any of the other requirements matter, even buoyancy is second to egress.

This is the reason I went to a purpose built aviation survival vest. The folks that make these vests for a living have been through this design process and in general make a pretty good product.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/20/14 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Something that comes to mind when determining requirements. Are they really requirements or nice-to-haves? Be honest, this is no time for personal bias.

In the case of an aviation PFD, the first (#1) requirement is that the PFD does not interfere with egress from the aircraft. Only after #1 has been satisfied do any of the other requirements matter, even buoyancy is second to egress.

This is the reason I went to a purpose built aviation survival vest. The folks that make these vests for a living have been through this design process and in general make a pretty good product.
Very good points Russ.

I would be very leary of putting too many straps, pockets, D-rings, buckles, knives, etc on the vest. Unless cleverly designed to avoid snagging, those things are just asking to catch on something when you are trying to get out. All the survival gear in those pockets won't do you a bit of good if you drown because you get hung up trying to exit the cockpit.

The optimal life vest is very specific to the activity one plans. What is ideal for white water rafting might not be so good for sailing. What works well for sailing might be a very bad choice for flying.

Even purpose built aviation vests might not be good for all aircraft. What works well for a military pilot who is going to blow the canopy and eject might be a poor choice for someone trying to squeeze out of a Super Cub.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/20/14 11:19 PM

I was planning on a firefly, sir.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/20/14 11:28 PM

I eliminated the nice to haves and concentrated on survival, in the water and on land. Being Alaska I want to be able to do the normal survival tasks and defend myself from dangerous animals and to hunt food. I might take less food, and the hydration system could be left empty to reduce bulk. I like the way you think Russ. Keep the ideas coming.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/20/14 11:33 PM

True AKSAR. But juggling vests would take up space and weight on a small plane. When on my friends boat we had a huge anount of ditch gear, but we had the space and the weight was of no concern. I also intend to use the same PFDon boats while I'm there if that fact helps anyone?

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/21/14 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Deathwind
I'm also beginning to rethinkthe whole bush plane idea.

Although Bush Flying is more dangerous than an airliner, we all do more dangerous things all the time. This danger can also be mitigated to a large degree by insuring that you let the pilot know that you are willing to wait if conditions are not right. If he seems tentative, tell him you will wait.

I have been flying in the bush, both as a pilot and as a passenger, for over 45 years. I have convinced the pilot to turn back several times, and not to try lots more. The only pilot I have had real trouble with was me.

If you want a system to do it all, wear the survival vest under an inflatable. The military did it that way for years. Good Approved inflatable's are readily available at the local marine shop. Just bring your survival vest to try it on. A good trial in the pool is a great idea as well. Then if you are uncomfortable with the inflatable on a boat and want to use a regular PFD for the water, you can. Most boats have enough you can use one of theirs and not need to carry one.

I agree with AKSAR, put on it only what you really need. You probably don't need a big survival knife and a large pistol. The chance of needing to defend yourself from bears is low in general and very low if you are in a fixed place, which you should be trying to be found. The biggest problem is surprising one of them which should not happen if you are around a fire trying to stay warm and being seen.

Do you really need to hunt for food? If you have a PLB and just a little extra body mass, you don't need to eat for a week or more (in my case LOTS more). Lots of time to get picked up.

Stay warm, stay hydrated and be seen. These are the only likely requirements for rescue. A Ritter PSK and the additions he recommends with proper clothing will keep you alive till help comes, even in Alaska (I know).

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/21/14 03:04 AM

Choosing the right combination of survival gear is always a matter of compromises. If you emphasize one aspect, something else will be less optimal. You haven't said a lot about what sort of boating, flying, and other activities you plan to do in Alaska, so the following discussion will but somewhat generic, but I will give you my thoughts.

I think bush flying is one of the most dangerous things one can do up here. If you are in a plane crash in water, the absolute first priority is to get out of the aircraft FAST! The average person under stress can only hold their breath about 30 seconds. Even if you crash on land, you still want to get out fast because it might burn. A few seconds could easily be the difference between living and dying. If you don't get out and the plane sinks or burns, nothing else matters.

Boating can also be dangerous in Alaska. The water is very cold. The "1-10-1" rule definatly applies in Alaska. If you go in the water without a PFD, you will die (by drowning) in roughly 10 minutes. With a PFD you will have at least an hour (probably a good deal more) before hypothermia kills you. Exiting the boat is usually not a problem. In fact, in most cases you are better staying with the boat as long as possible.

I would not try to combine my survival vest and my floatation. Put your survival gear in whatever ordinary vest suits you. Buy a good manual inflatable PFD, something like the Mustang 3085 or similar. You can attach a small strobe to the Mustang under the outer cover where it is out of the way and won't snag if you need to exit in a hurry. When you get on a plane, put a good folding knife and fire kit in your pants pockets. Put the Mustang on. Put the survival vest somewhere handy, but don't wear it. If you crash, get out fast! Many small bush planes are not that easy to get in and out of even under normal conditions. You don't want anyting that will snag or impede your exit. If the plane burns or sinks, you are alive, and have an excellent chance of surviving long enough to be rescued, even without any gear. If it doesn't burn or sink, you can retreive your gear and survive in style.

For boating, go ahead and wear the survival vest, with the PFD over it. (You don't want to inflate a PFD under a vest!) For hiking or other on land activities, where you don't need floatation, you can just wear the vest.

Those are my views. As always, your choices may differ.

EDIT: I see Jerry and I are thinking along similar lines.
ANOTHER EDIT: Jerry's comments about delaying your flight are spot on. Also, I forgot to mention carrying a PLB in your pocket.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/22/14 06:07 PM

While you raise many valid points, I must respectfully disagree with a few of them
A large knife is better for building shelters. Though most work around camp and basic survival needs would be performed with a sheath knife or a heavy folder.
Bears are not the fuzzy and lovable creatures of cartoons and children's movies. There are a number of accounts of them coming into camps, with fires, and attacking and dragging people off for dinner. Also there are moose and wolves to consider, Hence the large pistol. Plus I would feel much better armed so there is the peace of mind factor to consider.
As for food I do need to carry some. Humans perform better with fuel in them. I do a lot of power training and my occupation isn
t condusive to a regular eating schedule, so my body fat is dangerously low.
While a PLB would be nice, and I intend to get one when I cab afford one, there are simply times when one cannot stay with the plane. And I've seen several reports/complaints where they did not work or no help came.
Shouldn't the pilot or plane have one as standard gear?
I'd be more wore concerned that the emergency air supply would get caught on a doorway, seatbelt or debris than the knife or gun which would be on the sides, under my arms.

I was not aware that PFD's had been worn outside of survival vests. As always I value your opinion and advice and I thank you for them.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/22/14 06:24 PM

Very good information AKSAR. One of the others who responded to this thread supplied a link to a vest meant to be worn over an inflatable. Egress could be a problem due to my size. I had intended on a full pack system among my gear, for backpacking but had assumed it would be lost if the plane went down. I'm a pessimist, not an optimist. I've learned not to count on others to be properly equipped so I don't expect the pilot to have survival gear. I only know of one here that carries a kit. And he put it in his plane over a decade ago. I'm not sure what boat my friend plans on using, I know it would involve fishing. And we had planned on a few sight seeing boat trips, where an armed vest would NOT be a good idea for public wear. Maybe I'll pass on Alaska and just go to the islands rather than flying there to meet them. Thanks for the advice.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/22/14 06:40 PM

Maybe I'll pass on Alaska and just go to the islands rather than flying there to meet them. Thanks for the advice.
Alaska is an incredible place, and I think you should visit. And while bush flying has its risks, it is also by far the best way to get out and see and experience some of that amazing country. You won't regret it.

Regarding Jerry's, mine, and other's comments about gear, I don't think any of us were saying not to bring a larger knife, firearm, or other survival gear. No one is suggesting those things wouldn't be extremely useful in a survival situation. Rather it is a matter the best way to carry that stuff when flying.

Every situation is different, and one must do a careful risk/reward analysis of each situation. Flexible thinking is critical to any survival situation. The discussion was about balancing the reward of carrying a lot of stuff in/on your vest versus the risk of entrapment if you need to exit the plane quickly. When I fly in the bush, I keep a few small critical items in my pockets. The rest of my survival gear goes in a small day pack which I keep in the most accessible location feasible in whatever type aircraft I'm in.

In a worst case situation (the plane is sinking fast or on fire) my first priority is to be able to get out of the aircraft quick. I'm alive and I have enough stuff in my pockets to get a fire going and survive at least for awhile till rescued. If the wreckage remains afloat or isn't totally consumed by fire, I still have the chance to retrieve the rest of my gear.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/22/14 06:57 PM

Now that you've mentioned a daypack for survival gear you've reminded me to start a thread on a daypack.
Besides the survival gear I carry on terra firma in my pack, fanny pack or a belt pouch, I also carry an Altoids kit, small survival items in my pockets such as swiss army knife, mini multi tool, matches in safe, lighter, tinder, flashlight. whistle, ration bar, etc. And wear a survival necklace sometimes, so I get you on the pocket gear. I also have a pair of short, more a swimsuit, with multiple pockets full of gear and a space blanket I throw in my travel gear just in cade.
Unfortunatly I can no longer run wild and free and just take chances with my safety like I did when I was young and dumb. I have a wife and child I have to provide for. You seem well experienced at this and give good advice.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/22/14 07:09 PM

A big survival knife and a firearm (preferably a serious caliber rifle) would be great in a survival situation on land, but we were discussing aviation survival -- at least I was. First you need to egress the aircraft intact and predominantly uninjured before you are allowed to do battle with the beasts.

My survival priority was: 1) Egress, 2) Flotation, 3) Signaling.

For egress the idea was to minimize the bulk of what I carried to make swimming and getting outside the aircraft expediently. Flotation is fairly straightforward, but for that I went to Switlik which must be considered one of the leaders in the field. I went heavy on signaling, with lights, mirrors, flares, a VHF Marine radio and a PLB. No, you can't rely on the pilot to carry one. The aircraft may have an ELT but it may sink with the aircraft. So I carried my own.

A big knife and gun are great if you're on your own, but a PLB will get you out of the situation and it's a heck of a lot smaller and lighter than two big pieces of steel.

$.02, YMMV

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/22/14 07:16 PM

Russ,

I think we are more or less in agreement. Surviving the crash and getting out of the aircraft are priority One. If you don't accomplish those, then nothing else matters.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/22/14 07:44 PM

AKSAR -- Agree, we're on the same page. That last post wasn't aimed at you, just trying to be clear. Some people tend to lose track of priorities and I wanted to lay out my priorities. Knowing what you realistically expect greatly helps fine tune gear selection.

If I were to go down in an aircraft over-land, the vest doesn't have a fire kit, food, water or any provision for shelter. They totally fell off my requirements list for this kit. OTOH, other kits have no flotation wink

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/22/14 07:45 PM

Russ.
I have no intentions of just floating there, as AKSAR pointed out the water is no place to be. Unless theres a plane on our tail signaling isn't a top priority IMHO. My priorities are egress and once on the surface getting myself and any other survivors to the nearest shore where I can tend to serious injuries and get a fire going to help stave off hypothermia. Not just float about looking for a plane. There'll be time to signal when we're safe.
You mentioned flare, but I've heard a high number of them do not fire in the field. I carry skyblazers but don't count on them.
It has been suggested to me that a military flight suit can hold a lot of gear with all those pockets. Any one have any ideas on this?

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/22/14 07:47 PM

I've made allowances for all of those Russ, hence the survival gear.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/22/14 08:02 PM

If I were doing any flying in Alaska, especially over-water, I'd invest in a good anti-exposure suit. Dry (cough cough) land may not be close.

As for gear not working, all the gear in my vest is rated IPX7 so it can stand getting wet for extended periods, and it's been tested for those conditions. If you do get to shore, what then? How are you going to attract attention and get rescued? A PLB should be very high on your list of survival gear, way above the big knife and firearm.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/24/14 06:05 PM

Deathwind,

You must, of course choose your own path. Disagreement is good. I am just giving my opinion too. It is however based on over 50 years working and recreating in the bush, most of it in places where large, sometimes dangerous animals live (and more than a few unexpected nights out). I have had encounters with most of them, and have yet to need to shoot one (yet?). I usually carry a rifle, a pistol and/or bear spray. I consider at least one of them a critical part of a northern survival/EDC kit.

A big knife is very useful, although I usually carry a smaller one (on belt or in pocket) and an axe or saw (in my day pack), or both. I was not suggesting you don't bring one.

In this type of location, depending on the aircraft, sitting position and type of flight, I often wear an old military survival vest with a knife and handgun. In other situations I carry it as AKSAR suggested. Other times I carry a daypack with my primary survival kit. I always have a minimal survival kit in my pockets. At least a knife, fire starters (matches, lighter and rod), something to eat, usually a FAK and small surrvival kit (currently a modified RSK), and a space blanket. This, along with appropriate clothing will get me through the night. If I have my vest I am going to be much more comfortable and with my pack very comfortable, but I will stay alive.

In my opinion a PLB may be the most important item I carry. The ELT on the aircraft has a high probability of failure (they don't work well under water or in pieces). The pilot probably won't (but getting more frequent) have a PLB.

I have not seen anyone (and certainly I did not) recommend an emergency air supply. The likelyhood of needing one is not up to the cost and complexity of owning one (certification, refilling after commercial flights, etc.).

Respect the potential problems, but do it realistically. The likelyhood of a crash in the bush is very small. The likelylhood of it being in deep water (bever dams and shallow streams usually don't require PFD's) is even less. Most of them happen within sight of the departure or arrival points. If you crash there is still a good chance that you will be able to retrieve your additional survival equipment. The likelyhood of having a bear or other animal in your camp is also very low. The chance that you can't scare it off without shooting is even lower. When you multiply these together it is so small that I don't consider the on body carry of everything to be much of a risk. Of course I do carry the minimal kit at all times since I don't consider the risk zero.

You must choose as you see fit.

The military standard for years was a survival vest with an inflateable PFD over it only when flying over big water.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/24/14 07:21 PM

This may be where my comments seem to be misdirected. When someone says PFD and aviation I immediately think "big water". My typical flight was a long duration flight 60-100 NM off shore. In another life we essentially flew between islands and from shortly after take-off to final approach we were over deep water.

For overland I'm thinking pocket carry for essentials (PLB is on person) and a decent sized backpack duffel or a nomex flight bag for the rest.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/24/14 07:46 PM

Russ,

No problem, I have a different setup for big water. A lot of bush flying in Canada and Alaska is over small water. Especially if you are flying on floats, any landing could end up being a "crash". The pilot tries to stay over water as well. Particularly when ceilings are low. You are usually close to shore (even by cold water standards). I know of several where the plane flipped and the water was not deep enough to fill the cabin.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/25/14 05:58 PM

Russ. I have an exposure suit I took on the boat. But had considered it to bulky for a small planes limited cargo space. I have decided not to go the bush plane route. He can fly out to see us. Safer that way, and less being hen pecked by my better half. I am however going to invest in a few vests. I'm looking at the Switlick for the boat since space and getting off the boat is less limited. For future flying I'm considering the mesh vest I was linked to over an inflatable.
As for the pistol I had considered a Taurus .44 magnum or a .454 Casull magnum, both of which I own. Someone had suggested the Taurus in .444 but I'm unfamiliar with this round. Is it the same one Marlin used to chamber a lever action rifle in?
Also any ideas on a PLB? Thay all seem rather expensive. The cheapest I've found is the SPOT.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/25/14 06:14 PM

Jerry
I respect your opinions and experience and value your advice. I wasn't arguing, merely disagreeing with some points. I value every bit of advice I have received on here, That's why I ask questions. If I gave you the wrong impression then I apologize for that. You raise man valid points. Beside the pocket gear I carry, I have a Doug Ritter kit repacked into an altoids tin in my FAK. Just like my back up piece, I'd hope I'd never need to use the large handgun, but would feel a lot better having it on me, rather than in my gun safe back home.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/25/14 06:21 PM

You've all given me good, solid information on this subject and I thank all of you. Obviously a PLB is a piece of equipment I must seriously consider on land or sea. And while the chance of crash is rather small it's best to be prepared for the worst. Thanks again.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/25/14 06:39 PM

Deathwind,

Please do carry a firearm if you want to, I always do. I am of the opinion that the .44 is more than enough with proper ammunition. Not necessarily the hottest. See Randy Garrett's (the former ammo maker)discussion at: http://www.garrettcartridges.com/defensive.html I think he has the right idea. On the other hand if you can handle the .454 quickly, it will certainly work. Just don't trade the power of the one shot for the ability to fire again quickly. I am not suggesting spray and pray, but repeat accurate shots if the first one does not work.

The SPOT is not a PLB, and although it can do some things better, at this point it should not be considered a replacement (see the many discussions from Doug Ritter). It is also, in the long run more expensive because you have to have a subscription where the PLB licensing is free. In just a few years the difference is gone.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/25/14 07:13 PM

I was looking at PLB's sometime back and found them extremely expensive. But will look into them again. I'm very large and muscular, and the best shot here in all modest,so recoil isn't a problem with the .454, nor a follow up shot. The problems with the .454 are reduced capacity and the slow unloading and reloading due to it's antiquated design. I had thought to load it with heavy solids or partitions with shot and squib loads for hunting smaller game. My friend who lives in Alaska carries a Judge and rarely ventures more than a few hundred meters from his cabin without a .375 H&H magnum. And has had to use bear boards at time to keep the bruins off his porch. Thanks for the link.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/25/14 09:33 PM

I wouldn't consider the SPOT for myself. I'd either get a true PLB (like the FastFind) or the InReach. Both have global coverage. One is subscription-free and works with COSPAS/SARSAT, the other has text messaging and works with Iridium.

Recoil on the .454 Casul is stout but manageable for many folks. I'd be more inclined to go with something that had more capacity and was easier to practice with. A full-size striker-fired .45 might work well.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 08:06 PM

Chaos
Thanks. Yeah recoil is not a problem at all, but the capacity and reload time are a real concern.
Thanks for the tip on the PLB's. Any ideas on what the least expensive but reliable models run?
Also I've been considering a radio of some sort to summon help and communicate with them when they are in the area. I would welcome any ideas on this, the most powerful and compact versions would be what I would consider.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 08:11 PM

I had mentioned that I would be more worried about the reserve air supply being caught during egress and someone had said they hadn't mentioned a reserve air supply. I have seen them on several vests including the switlik which is why I had brought that up. While nice to have thatwould be far down my list of essentials, well after a PLB and sealed FAK.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 08:31 PM

Thanks. Yeah recoil is not a problem at all, but the capacity and reload time are a real concern.

Thus my suggestion for a striker-fired .45. That doesn't work for everyone -- pistols that work well for me don't work at all for other people, and vice versa. Every pistol class I've ever taught has had at least one student with a gun that was wrong for him or her. I recently took an advanced class with the same issue -- you'd think that someone who made it to the advanced class would have a gun that he could shoot!

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the PLB's. Any ideas on what the least expensive but reliable models run?

Fastfind runs around $250, lasts for five years without battery replacement, and carries no subscription fee. You do need to register it. It has two modes, "off" and "mayday!" COSPAS/SARSAT runs the satellites and the United States Air Force runs the Rescue Coordination Center.

InReach runs $300, takes AAs and requires a subscription starting at $10/mo. It lets you send tracking information, and text messages. During an emergency you can not only send the "mayday" with your location, you can communicate interactively with GEOS. GEOS is a private rescue coordination center. They don't have as long a track record as AFRCC but they've got some good saves to their name.

Quote:
Also I've been considering a radio of some sort to summon help and communicate with them when they are in the area. I would welcome any ideas on this, the most powerful and compact versions would be what I would consider.

If you're on a boat, you should have a marine handheld. If you're a pilot and flying places, you should consider an aviation handheld. If you're flying over water, you should consider having both.

If neither the boat nor the aircraft are in your plan, your best bet may be an amateur radio (ham) handheld, depending on your location. For that you'd need to get an amateur radio license.

While you cannot legally transmit from an amateur radio on the marine or aviation bands normally, it's legal for a licensed amateur to transmit out of band in a life-threatening emergency when that's the best way to pass emergency traffic. With that said, as a ham, I would carry a marine radio for boat use -- I'm not a pilot, so I'm not licensed to transmit on aviation bands.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 09:26 PM

My wallet voted to carry a marine VHF radio because the most likely responders would have marine VHF.

Pick your radio on who is most likely going to hear your call. A call on marine VHF Ch.16 from somewhere in interior Alaska is unlikely to get a response.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 09:40 PM

Chaos
Thanks for the information. The Fastfind sounds ideal and with some juggling I think I can budget it. Too bad they don't have a compact waterproof radio which combines all the various bands.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 09:41 PM

Russ
Thanks

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 09:45 PM

..... I am however going to invest in a few vests. I'm looking at the Switlick for the boat since space and getting off the boat is less limited. For future flying I'm considering the mesh vest I was linked to over an inflatable.
As for the pistol I had considered a Taurus .44 magnum or a .454 Casull magnum ......
You haven't said much about your itinary, or how you will be traveling to Alaska. If you are coming by boat, you will presumably be going up the Inside Passage through Canadian waters. If by auto you will be driving up the Alcan. If either is the case, you definately need to check into Canadian regulations regarding firearms. Handguns in particular are highly restricted in Canada. Way back in the day, people tell me that the Canadian Customs agent would just seal your 44 when you entered Canada, and as long as the seal wasn't broken while passing through Canada there was no problem. In more recent years this has changed, and my understanding is that these days, getting a permit to transport your handgun through Canada is a major hassle. More than a few Alaskan pilots have gotten themselves into trouble with their survival pistol while flying to or from Alaska. I think most long guns are not such a big problem.

Best to check well in advance with the Canadian authorities about the necessary paperwork. If you do not have your permits in order, you risk getting the gun confiscated, and prosecution. Obviously if you are not driving or sailing up this isn't an issue.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 10:00 PM

Quote:
...Fastfind runs around $250...

ACR ResQLink is not much more --- $272. They're both good, but the ACR unit "feels" better to me. I have no objective rationale for thinking that.

I had a FastFind in my flight bag and I currently have an ACR ResQLink tethered to my vest. My neighbor who takes his sport fishing boat off-shore has what was formerly my FastFind. When it came time to reregister I let him put it in his name.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Best to check well in advance with the Canadian authorities about the necessary paperwork. If you do not have your permits in order, you risk getting the gun confiscated, and prosecution.

American's crossing into Canada and neglecting to declare their firearms makes the news every now & again ... best case it seems like you are looking at a $10,000 fine and some time in jail.

This US Embassy page seems to have a good summary of what you need to do to bring firearms into Canada. Of note, they say the following under the heading "Transport through Canada to/from Alaska": The easiest way to transport firearms is to have any firearm(s) crated and shipped to your destination via commercial carrier.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 10:45 PM

AKSAR
I have no desire to go to Canada. We were thinking of flying in. Now that I've scrapped the idea of flying into my friends cabin we have to reschedule a bit. Mostly be on land but she wants to go on a few boat rides, figure we can wear inflatables and survival vests under our parkas?
While ice and seals and polar bears are pretty I much prefer the warmer climes.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 10:47 PM

Russ.
I hear you. I can go through a rack of guns of the same make and model and one will feel better to me than the rest. I thought I was just strange about that. Thanks for the info and the link. I'll check it out.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 10:48 PM

Denis
Do you know if they make exceptions for American LEO's and or permit holders?

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 11:04 PM

Mostly be on land but she wants to go on a few boat rides, figure we can wear inflatables and survival vests under our parkas?
You DO NOT want to wear your inflatable under your parka! Unless you take the parka off first, before inflating, there would be no room for the air bladders to inflate. They are generally meant to be worn outside of all clothing.

The bladders expand and get very large when inflated. That's why the inflatable vest have so much more buoyancy than conventional PFDs. If you were to inflate it under a parka, the bladder wouldn't have room to inflate properly. It also would probably also severely constrict your breathing.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 11:16 PM

I haven't heard of any exemptions, but I can't say for sure. I'm pretty confident there wouldn't be any for permit holders since there really isn't an equivalent up here (handguns can be transported, locked up, to & from an approved range and that's about it with very few exceptions).

That said, I'm not a firearms licence holder & don't have any firearms myself so I'm likely not the most versed on all the regulations. That said, from the earlier link, non-restricted firearms (rifles (not an AR), shotguns) seem a lot easier to bring into the country than restricted ones (like handguns).

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/26/14 11:34 PM

Actually, I guess that information only makes sense assuming you know the difference between non-restricted, restricted and prohibited firearms (the latter I'm guessing you shouldn't even try bringing across the border). Here is an RCMP FAQ that outlines the basic differences between these categories (like barrel length & calibre) and magazine restrictions. As they mention, firearms can also be classified as restricted or prohibited by name as well, that list is here.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/27/14 03:50 AM

Do you know if they make exceptions for American LEO's and or permit holders?

Permit holders get exactly no additional handgun privileges in Canada. I'm not a LEO but I believe that you need to be on official business and have things arranged in advance for the appropriate credentials to have a handgun in Canada as a LEO.

I would strongly advise against traveling to Canada with any firearms before working things out appropriately with the embassy or consulate. I suspect your handguns just aren't welcome there.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/27/14 03:55 AM

Thanks for the information. The Fastfind sounds ideal and with some juggling I think I can budget it. Too bad they don't have a compact waterproof radio which combines all the various bands.

The FCC has never type-accepted a radio that can transmit on both marine and aviation bands. I have radios that can do that, but like I mentioned I'm a ham and I know better than to transmit on those frequencies. My radios are locked (either by the manufacturer or by me) to be unable to do so.

SAR aircraft will almost certainly have marine radios aboard, where boats almost never have aviation radios. If you're not a pilot or a ham, the marine radio is a better bet. Not that it would do you any good in the interior.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 02/28/14 10:28 PM

Aksar

Yeah, I knew we'd have to ditch the parkas. I was thinking wearing them under would let us be prepared without drawing attention from the other passengers.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 03/01/14 02:15 AM

Aksar

Yeah, I knew we'd have to ditch the parkas. I was thinking wearing them under would let us be prepared without drawing attention from the other passengers.
You never said anything much about what kind of boat you will be on. That makes it rather hard to give good advice. I thought you meant you would be on a small private boat (power or sail), but it is beginning to sound like you will be on one of the regular larger tour boats?

If so, you probably don't need to bring your own PFD at all. The tour boats are all well equipped with proper PFDs. Before you depart the dock, the crew usually give a quick briefing about where the vests are stashed, how to put them on, etc. If they don't brief you, ask. The larger tour boats are also well equipped with rafts. In the unlikely event of trouble, you would probably be better off not using an inflatable PFD which would require shedding your jacket. Keep you jacket on, you will want it even if you go in the drink. Just put one of the boat's big PFDs on over your jacket. You will be much warmer if you end up in a raft.

Another reason not to bring your own inflatable if you fly commercial up to Alaska is that the CO2 cartriges can cause problems with airline security. Apparently TSA doesn't object, but leaves it up to each individual airline. Some airlines allow them, some don't. See http://www.inflatablepfd.com/faqs.html. Sailors have had lots of trouble with this, for example see Cruisers Forum. If you do want to bring them, definately check with your airline in advance. Otherwise you may need to aquire re-arm kits when you get to Anchorage.

If you really really want to bring your own PFD for riding on a tour boat, and want to be relatively inconspicuous, you might want to consider a "float coat". Check out the Catalyst Flotation Jacket or the Integrity Vest. They look nice, like ordinary clothes, they are warm, and are USCG approved Type III PFDs. The coats, in particular are also good because they provide some insulation in the water, and can increase your survival time. Standard disclaimers, I have no connection with Mustang other than having used and liked their products.

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 03/01/14 02:52 AM

AKSAR
As always, great advice.
Commercial boats manly. My friend has a motorized sailboat. So does my other friend who will be going to the islands.
I had thought of the mustang float coat when I began my search for a tactical PFD. I have seen them in catalogues and on some morning news show.
They look great and blend in. The only thing that would make them better is pockets inside and the twenty or so pockets outside that I see on some winter jackets and vests.
Thanks

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 03/01/14 03:44 AM

I had thought of the mustang float coat when I began my search for a tactical PFD. .....They look great and blend in. The only thing that would make them better is pockets inside and the twenty or so pockets outside ......
Alaskans tend to be rather casual and "do your own thing" about clothes, but twenty or so pockets on the outside might not blend in all that well, even up here! wink

In any case, have fun on your trip. smile
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 03/01/14 04:25 AM

The float coats I have used are the older models, but they are great - as comfortable as a normal jacket and very good on the water, especially with a beavertail (storm flap).

Re: Looking For A Special PFD - 03/01/14 04:38 AM

Thanks. I like to carry plenty of gear. I'll take a look at the float oat.