Another EDC knife thread!

Posted by: Phaedrus

Another EDC knife thread! - 01/31/14 09:05 AM

Well, I've had to change up my EDC knife. Last week I lost my beloved Spyderco Ladybug3 in ZDP! mad It's my own fault, really. I carried it on my key carabiner, attached with something like a swivel snap. The 'gate' of the snap had been getting loose, and occasionally as of late I had noticed that it came open in my pocket and let the knife go. Right then and there I should have swapped it out for a new one or a split range but I spaced it off...now my little 'Bug is gone. sick

Oh, well. I want to get another one but I don't feel like blowing the $50 right now, so I have started carrying my Spyderco Dragonfly in it's place. I wasn't sure if it was gonna work out since it's considerably larger than the little Ladybug. But so far it seems okay, not too much for me to keep in my pocket. My plan is to run with this EDC for awhile and if I like it try to nab a Dragonfly in Super Blue. cool

I think I've mentioned my "constitutional aversion" to having a bunch of crap in my pockets. But I still have to have at least a good flashlight and a good knife with me. A few people have pointed out that I always have a cell and it has a light but that's not enough to sway me yet. Battery life of a phone isn't great and the light feature, while useful, lacks the throw, power and usability of a stand-alone light. Certainly I'd be reluctant to stick my 'Droid in a snow drift to keep it in place while I change a tire! My EDC light is a Fenix E01 powered by an Energizer Ulitmate Lithium AAA cell.

Briefly I tried to replace the Ladybug3 with a very small SAK but that proved unsatisfactory. While the scissors is very useful I'm afraid the skinny 1" long blade is a bit too small and flimsy for the tasks I usually ask of an EDC blade (mostly opening and breaking down heavy cardboard boxes). I prefer something a bit more robust with a sturdy lock.

What are you folks carrying as an EDC knife?
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 01/31/14 10:01 AM

I have been carrying a Victorinox Huntsmen for the last decade. Small knife for normal things, big blade for food.

If I have a lot of cardboard to deal with, i just grab a utility knife.

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 01/31/14 10:15 AM

If I was gonna break down a ton of boxes I would too. Normally though I'm in the walk in cooler and need into something, or I have a few boxes to break down and don't want to go track down something to use. And obviously if you have a knife you notice lots of stuff that needs cuttin' all the time! grin
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 01/31/14 02:07 PM

when I was teaching, an Al Mar lightweight Eagle, Spyderco Walker or Kershaw Leek...(Walker and Leek shown)

since retiring a larger clip folder, usually the Benchmade Ares or Reeve Sebenza (bottom two)

Posted by: bsmith

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 01/31/14 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

ladybug 3 which rotates monthly with mini griptilian for a change of pace size and colorwise.

other pocket has arc-aaa light + older leatherman squirt ps4 (no scissors like newer model). light is tied and squirt clipped - sometimes easier to use when off the leash - to piece of paracord. sounds clunky but works for me.
Posted by: LCranston

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 01/31/14 02:32 PM

Alternate between:

Benchmade AFCK best knife, best steel

Spyerdco Endura steel handle, steel clip bought fully serrated on clearance, 37.00, sharpened off top inch

SOG Flash- bought at Lowes for 24.00 suprisingly good knife. Not a fan of the clip, it slips a bit- only good in jeans.

I keep a mini multi-tool in my coat.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 01/31/14 03:36 PM

Benchmade 710 or Benchmade 940 depending on size/weight constraints. I prefer the 940 for EDC because it's fairly lightweight and S30V is pretty good steel. My current BM 710 is(was?) a knifeworks exclusive version in M390 steel and is no longer on their website. KW needs to order up a bunch of 940's in M390, great steel imo.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 01/31/14 04:04 PM

I have two of the EDC Forum knives. One is a Spyderco Manix 2 with Moonglow scales. The other is a Spyderco Native 5, again with Moonglow scales. They're both exceptional knives and a I like them a lot -- I would have no hesitation recommending either the Manix or the Native for an EDC blade. I tend to carry one of them when hiking, camping or called out for CERT.

The other two knives that I carry the most are my RitterGrip and mini RitterGrip. The mini RitterGrip is clipped to my waistband about 95% of the time. It's very quick and easy to deploy, has fantastic ergonomics, great cutting ability and rarely needs sharpening. Only rarely when carrying it do I wish I had the larger model -- it cuts like a bigger knife.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 01/31/14 08:14 PM

Leatherman Skeletool CX. I also dislike carrying things in my pocket but find carrying a tool with the pocket clip doesn't bother me at all (it's more things down in the bottom of my pocket that bugs me).

My other option is a Victorinox Cadet which is small and relatively light so it's not too bad riding in the bottom of the pocket (though still not as comfortable as the larger tool with a pocket clip).

In either case, I find a multi-tool to be a better EDC than a knife alone.

Edited to ad: This is referring to my urban, day-to-day EDC.
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 01/31/14 08:20 PM

Victorinox SAK boyscout huntsman and a CRKT M16-03Z

The SAK is used most often and pretty much on a daily basis, the CRKT is the heavier duty just in case knife laugh
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/01/14 02:27 AM

+1 on CRKT & Vic here. M16-01 & Swiss Tool
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/01/14 04:03 AM

I've been toting a Ka-Bar Mule since my time in Baghdad back in 2005. Quite worn looking, but still spry and stout. Lots of blade left.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/01/14 06:25 PM

Vic Farmar here.Just wish it had scissors in it.I can work around it tho....

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/01/14 06:39 PM

I carry the CRKT M16-01T. This is as close to perfect I have gotten without going custom. Of course, asking somebody what the best EDC knife is like asking what the best tasting food is.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/01/14 06:44 PM

Formerly a carried of SAKs, I have been a Leather head for about the last twenty-five years. I usually carry a Wave and a bit kit, plus a PS4 on my keyring. What I am learning is that the PS4 (especially the scissors) will handle about 90 per cent of the tasks I encounter - just keep that tiny blade nice and sharp. It is non-threatening and is not likely to be confused with a weapon. There are times, however, when a full size L-tool is just what the doctor ordered. Those are mostly in outdoor environments where something that big is "normal."
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/01/14 10:48 PM

Presently I have a Spyderco Delica4. I've used previous Delica2 and Salt1 and the Tenacious. If the Tenacious came in VG-10, I would consider this my perfect everyday carry. I love the feel in my hands. I have a number of other blades like the Benchmade Ares but the feel and weight are off - just too heavy for me and a couple of other older folders that can only be opened with the nail slot.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/02/14 12:24 AM

Mini Rittergrip for MANY years!!
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/02/14 01:20 AM

I keep a Leatherman Wave in my EDC purse, but my EDC pocket carry is a SAK Camper. (At least I think it's a Camper. It was handed down to me from my Dad almost 25 years ago.)

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/02/14 06:16 AM

I have a couple Delica4s including one in Super Blue. The Delica is a fantastic knife but just a smidge too large for EDC (for me). The Native is another really superb knife, right on the top edge of EDC size, that I really like. The one thing that I generally insist on for EDC blades is they have full flat grinds; FFGs just slice a lot better and I find them easier to resharpen.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/02/14 12:34 PM

my Native went with a friend's son on his first deployment to Iraq... a Reeve Yarborough on his first to Afghanistan...he had several
Posted by: buckeye

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/02/14 04:49 PM

I've been carrying a Benchmade D2 Mel Pardue with serrations for about 15 years. Has been a sturdy knife with a good 90* spine for throwing sparks from a ferro rod. Has held up well with moderate weekly use.

Believe it cost around $75 back then.

Probably the closest model today is the 551SBK (which shows up now for $130 MSRP --ouch).
Posted by: Russ

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/02/14 05:46 PM

On the subject of Griptilians, BK coated RSK MK1's are back in stock at Knifeworks.
Posted by: brandtb

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/05/14 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Tjin
I have been carrying a Victorinox Huntsmen for the last decade. Small knife for normal things, big blade for food.

Always wondered. What's the hook-shaped device on the bottom of the Huntsman?

http://www.smartknives.com/Victorinox-Knives/Victorinox-Huntsman-Plus.htm
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/05/14 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: brandtb
Originally Posted By: Tjin

Always wondered. What's the hook-shaped device on the bottom of the Huntsman?

http://www.smartknives.com/Victorinox-Knives/Victorinox-Huntsman-Plus.htm

The hook is marketed as a parcel carrier. (for the little string whick people used to tie around package, but now generally is not allowed by most companies).

I have only use the hook to:
- Put a bike chain back on, without getting my hands dirty.
- Pulling loops through tight places.

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/05/14 07:40 PM

If I recall some twenty years ago.The pamflet that came with mt huntsman showed a drawing of it removing the entralls of a game bird.Hence the name huntsman.Maybe that is not so socially acceptablenow.Also the saw can be used split a pelvic bone on large game when quartering.

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: haertig

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/05/14 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: boatman
Also the saw can be used split a pelvic bone on large game when quartering.

I'm not a hunter, but do people actually use Swiss Army Knives to saw up their large game? That sounds a bit like trying to mow your grass with a pair of scissors. Possible I suppose, but you'd think there would be better tools for the job...
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/05/14 10:35 PM

I have done it, using the saw for the bones. SAK works well enough if it is all you have, and it is sharp enough. Takes a bit longer though.

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/06/14 12:47 AM

Thanks Montanero.Wire saws can also be used for this but the thread was about EDC blades.

BOATMAN
John

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/06/14 01:04 AM

You would be amazed at the small, but sharp.stome tools used to skin out and dismember big animals like mammoth and bison way back when. Of course, when metallic knives became available, they were hugely popular.

As an experiment, one of my college profs butchered a deceased circus elephant with stone tools, the largest of which was fist sized.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/06/14 01:53 AM

Makes it a lot easier to carry anything with a wire bail like a paint can too.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/06/14 04:22 AM

A green shamrock SAK Classic SD, and when not at work, I add an old model Wave.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/06/14 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
You would be amazed at the small, but sharp.stome tools used to skin out and dismember big animals like mammoth and bison way back when. Of course, when metallic knives became available, they were hugely popular.

As an experiment, one of my college profs butchered a deceased circus elephant with stone tools, the largest of which was fist sized.

Ah? Shame. A live wild elephant would have been much more interesting....

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/06/14 06:21 AM

I just performed a little "tweak" to my EDC knife. And I hope Sal Glasser (of Spyderco) doesn't see this! blush I cut the molded-in plastic pocket clip off of my Dragonfly with a hacksaw and ground it flush with the side of the scales on my grinder. This makes the knife 50% thinner, and since I keep it on a keychain I have never once used the clip.

Then I got a couple of large ball bearing swivels (the ones used for fishing) and added on to my knife and my light. This way both can rotate freely on the 'biner I use for a keychain. This lets them lay "flatter" in my pocket but also makes it a lot easier to use both implements.

I'll take a pic when I have a chance.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/06/14 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
one of my college profs butchered a deceased circus elephant with stone tools, the largest of which was fist sized.

That's a pretty small elephant.

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/06/14 02:45 PM

Well, for a prize winning oxymoron, there is such a creature as a pygmy mammoth, native to the US Channel Islands. It's still about the size of a large cow.

Ah, the useful things you learn on ETS.....
Posted by: buckeye

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/07/14 07:31 AM

I had this even before I joined ETS. After about 15 years of use, I'll probably hand it to my son when he turns 18 in about a year and my replacement will be Doug's RSK Mk1.
Posted by: Hanscom

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 02/12/14 04:35 AM

I was once told that it was designed to be used to pull open food cans with lids that peel off, such as cat food, spam, anchovies. Works well for that.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Another EDC knife thread! - 04/16/14 09:08 PM

Sorry, I am kind of on the cheaper side

My EDC knife is a cheapo ( around $5)
I use it every day and happy with it. Not sharp and do not need it that way since I use it on soft materials like plastic.