Update: TSA still not permitting small knives

Posted by: Bingley

Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/23/13 01:29 AM

Don't rush over to the airport with your little knives, hoping you can use them to cut the foil on your favorite bottle of wine before you pull the cork out...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-5758...ives-on-planes/
Posted by: haertig

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/23/13 03:34 AM

Post deleted
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/23/13 05:00 AM

The correct move for TSA is either to ban all knives or to allow all knives, nothing in between. Allowing small knives would only make the lines longer. TSA personnel would have to perform an analysis for each small knife, as opposed doing a simpler binary reject/allow. TSA is not going to allow knives. Thus, the best solution is to ban all knives.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/23/13 05:09 AM

Post deleted
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/23/13 12:11 PM

I have been in line behind some people who's underwear probably should be banned, they stunk!
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/24/13 02:36 AM

Comments about what the TSA's policy is or will be are permitted. Comments about what the TSA's policy should be are on very thin ice and will be deleted if they include even a tiny shred of political commentary. I'll be on a hair trigger for this thread, so please be very thoughtful before you post.

chaosmagnet

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/24/13 03:58 AM

A joke about underwear, in response to a comment about it in the linked article, is political commentary?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/24/13 05:19 PM

In this context, yes. PM me if you want me to explain further.

chaosmagnet
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/24/13 07:15 PM

Take this FWIW, but I've become more-or-less accustomed to the "no knives of any kind" rule. Probably just as well, since it looks like the Canadian reg's aren't going to change any time soon.

Yes, it's a bit of a nuisance, especially when travelling light. But when it comes down to emergency situations on a scheduled commercial airliner, I've come to the conclusion that it's not as much of an issue as I first thought. Far more important factors are awareness, seat selection, clothing, and footwear. I am allowed to carry paramedic shears, a flashlight, and a lighter. These tools can assist with egress from the aircraft and initial measures before the cavalry arrives.

So for me anyway, I've declared a truce on this. Just give me an equal number of takeoffs and landings and I'm happy.

YMMV.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/24/13 07:45 PM

A knife shouldn't be required as the Safety belt latch on the Toilet should be perfectly serviceable. It is the End users responsibility to ensure that corrosion of the metal latch is minimised if using non standard TSA compliant belt latches.

The automotive car safety belt type should be universally accepted and serviceable although the aircraft safety belt type which was originally fitted in early TSA standards may take some a little more getting used to.

Of course, care should be taken when using larger lavatory bowls when visiting folks who have them specially installed as the belt tension could make falling into the bowl a small but significant safety issue. Does the TSA accept liability for such distressing incidents?

In Europe we have yet to follow the safety standards set by the TSA, in fact there are no standards for TSA safety. But then again folks in America doesn't have to adhere to the Draconian EU Banana specifications with regards to bend ratio, length and girth size.

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/24/13 07:48 PM

I rarely fly anymore, since it's gotten to be such a time consuming and hassle filled ordeal. When I do fly, I just don't carry much of anything on other than the stuff nobody is going to hassle you about (clothes, a paperback book, etc.) Then when I get to my destination, I buy the essentials that I didn't carry on (toothpaste, shampoo, a new swiss army knife, etc.) I tend to go to the same destinations over and over, so I leave behind what I've bought so it will be there next time (works when visiting family, which are most of my flights these days).

I really can't think of much a small pen knife could do for you in an airplane emergency situation. Maybe cut a jammed seatbelt - although I've never seen any seatbelt jam, ever. Anyway, you could wiggle out of a jammed seatbelt if you needed too. It's not like you're going to carve an escape hole through the fuselage with your Leatherman Squirt.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/24/13 08:30 PM

I was recently exposed during a Work related 'Customer Services Training' to these videos in the US airline industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1rsVloe0KA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYA_ivyj3kE

I personally would have had to get up and leave at this point if on that aircraft. It doesn't inspire confidence that aircrew wasn't rolling one up in Cockpit.

Lack of a Personal Small pen Knifes or one kept within hand luggage would have been the least of my worries. wink
Posted by: spuds

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/25/13 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I was recently exposed during a Work related 'Customer Services Training' to these videos in the US airline industry.

I personally would have had to get up and leave at this point if on that aircraft. It doesn't inspire confidence that aircrew wasn't rolling one up in Cockpit.

Back in my flying pre TSA age,It was Southwest Airlines all the way. No games,no hidden charges,they are THE peoples airline IMO.And their people are the BEST... I LOVE them. I'll bet customer satisfaction with Southwest has to be very high.
===============================
Yup,just what I thought....

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/06/21/southwest-remains-no-1-for-airline-customer-satisfaction/

by Douglas McIntyre Jun 21st 2011 8:55AM
According to the American Customer Satisfaction Index's annual report on airlines, released this week, overall satisfaction is down, but Southwest Airlines (LUV) remained far and away at the top of the list with a score of 81 out of a possible 100. The No. 2 airline for customer satisfaction was Continental (CAL) with an overall score of 64. Southwest's rating rose 2.5%, but Continental's was down 9.9%.
===============================
Hmmmmm....
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-06...ssenger-traffic

Southwest loses No. 1 customer rating to rival JetBlue Airways
Airline's merger cited as possible reason for dip in satisfaction
June 19, 2012|By Candus Thomson, The Baltimore Sun

For the first time in nearly two decades, Southwest Airlines, the biggest commercial carrier at BWI, does not sit atop the annual American Customer Satisfaction Index.

The top spot was claimed by JetBlue Airways, with a satisfaction score of 81 on a 100-point scale. Southwest scored 77, its lowest mark in five years.

Posted by: ILBob

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/25/13 06:36 PM

I was surprised when the announcement was made as it seemed like a common sense thing often lacking in government decisions. it was not like there was a group of congressmen or a lobby group pushing for it either, which are the usual reasons why government changes things.

I wonder where they came up with the blade limits though. I wonder how it was determined that a 2.36 inch long blade was a small enough threat that it could be allowed while a 3" blade was too much of a risk to allow.

2.36" = 60 mm though. that seems like an arbitrary number from some country using the metric system.

I think it would probably be best if they just kept the complete ban for now to avoid further confusion.

Posted by: Denis

Re: Update: TSA still not permitting small knives - 04/25/13 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: ILBob
2.36" = 60 mm though. that seems like an arbitrary number from some country using the metric system.

From what I understand, the TSA is trying to be consistent with other, international guidelines. The 6 cm rule appears to be in use by the Eurpean Union and I've read that it is a part of the security standards adopted by the UN's International Civil Aviation Organization.