Surviving Single

Posted by: Chisel

Surviving Single - 04/20/13 10:50 AM

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/survivingsingle1.htm
Posted by: spuds

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 03:52 PM

Gonna have to hug the Mrs when she gets up,best thing ever happened to me was meeting her.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 04:29 PM

I did not read the entire article but it seems a better title would be “Surviving a Separation.” I had two boyfriends in highschool. That is all.

I’m at home with my youngest sister, Mom and a roommate: a divorced mother of two. Other sister left the nest.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 04:35 PM

Quote:
Gonna have to hug the Mrs when she gets up,best thing ever happened to me was meeting her.

She may be taken by surprise and asks : Are you OK ????

LOL

Posted by: ireckon

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 04:39 PM

Summary = Leeches are attracted to preppers. It's tough out there because there are so many people lying to get what they want. Be brutally honest with yourself and others if you want a partner.

...But it's worth reading the whole thing, whether you are single, in a relationship, or married.

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 04:48 PM

Well Jenaeate , we may never know what is best for us

Actually human beings are so different , each one has a distinct psychologial "fingerprint" that makes society so diverse. And finding the "right" partner is not always so easy. I do wish the best for guys and glas who found the special one that can fullfil their life dreams

I know a few collagues who are technically married by practically separated. Each spouse sleeps in a separate room. Actually, they are more of "roommates" than couples.

And then , there are couples who are "superglued" to each other mentally, emotionally, and even financially. There are for examples couples who share the same interest ( like prepping or camping) and some couples who are very much opposites ( guy is an outdoorsy type, and girl is a girly city gal for example.

Some unfortunate couples endure it for the sake of kids or other considerations, and some other couples lose the stamina and choose to break up. Too bad, and too sad.

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 07:31 PM

I am a people person. I hate to be alone. I do not know if I will ever find someone, male or female. Now, things are good as I have my mom, sisters, roommate and friends.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 07:38 PM

Amen Izzy. Got rid of Wonderbuns then felt sorry for Bunny who modeled for me, so I took her in. Then she met Tomboy and somehow she moved in. Love 'em like they 're my own kids. But, like my own kids' can't wait till they move out and the big house is all mine.

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 07:39 PM

You sound shy, like me, Jeanette.

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
You sound shy, like me, Jeanette.

How am I shy? I am a people person with friends.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 07:50 PM

I was referring to the two boyfriends statement. I meant no offense Jeanette. People look at me and see a human tank, but I'm kind of withdrawn and still feel awkward when asking a woman out the first time. And I never know what to do with my giant hands.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 07:53 PM

I didn't date much in high school. Nothing serious, that's for sure. College? Did I even go out on any date in college? If so, it certainly wasn't very memorable.

Then I got out on my own and started doing volunteer work as a paramedic. And there on the ambulance one day was this wonderful other volunteer girl. She had a shiny new holster with her hemostats, scissors, flashlight, pen, notepad, tourniquet (for IVs), and all the other things paramedics carry. Obviously a newbie given that brand new shiny holster (although new to the ambulance, she was an RN, so not a medical newbie). And that was it. 32 years ago. We're still going strong. BTW, to this day, our old ambulance buddies are still the closest friends we have. We still do all kinds of stuff together. And if it comes to some group survival scenario, what better crowd to be with than a bunch of paramedics and trauma nurses (even though all our paramedic certifications have expired by now - except for the nurses, who have since obtained advanced degrees and are Nurse Practitioners and Flight Nurses now).

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 07:57 PM

I do not feel awkward in that regard. I simply do not know what I want.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
I didn't date much in high school. Nothing serious, that's for sure.

I had boyfriends in high school because that is what was expected. I was in the “in crowd” for two years.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 08:29 PM

I don't know your age but I'm sure you'll find what you wannt Jeanette. I was my own clique in high school. Lethal, loner nerd. My first day I was six foot one and just under a hundred pounds. Everyone wanted to play with the beanpole nerd. Especially the jocks. Seven fights that day. five the next. On the fourth day they had all learned to leave me alone.
Unfortunately the other nerds saw me as thier protector and ran to me whenever anyone messes with them. I dated in high school, but it was almost always the girls who asked me out. College was A LITTLE DIFFERENT.

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 08:30 PM

That's nice, haertig. I'm happy for you. Me, I'm destined to grow old and die alone.

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 09:25 PM

I don't know your age but I'm sure you'll find what you wannt Jeanette. I was my own clique in high school.

I’m twenty-seven. I was in the social hierarchy for two of my highschool years. I left because I was fed up with the social politics.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 09:30 PM

Very wise for one so young, jeanette.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 09:30 PM

My daughter, the ER nurse, met her husband to be (then a paramedic, now an attorney) when she was training for her EMT certification. They bonded at a motorcycle accident.

No, my SIL doe NOT chase ambulances.

If you pursue your interests, you will sooner or later hook up with a kindred spirit, who will be the most wonderful person in the entire universe.

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 09:43 PM

Eh, why change now? Women come and go like the wind in my life. I'm to quiet and distant for them to stay. Some say I have a soft heart, but that I'm cold. Whatever that means. Friends with benefits are the best way to go. Why ruin a good thing with a ring and a piece of paper? And when it doesn't work out she gets half of everything I've struggled so hard to obtain. For me at least. Now Jeanette could find someone easily I'm thinking. She seems like a cool and intelligent lady.

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 09:59 PM

Listens to wedding bells...

Re: Surviving Single - 04/20/13 11:43 PM

Now you listen to me youg man! Stop buying guns and those wierd survival toys and you can afford a nice ring! Listen to your uncle snake.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Surviving Single - 04/21/13 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: spuds

Token girlie comment - Ahhhhh!!

P.s. we need a "Like" button! LOL!

Re: Surviving Single - 04/21/13 02:26 AM

geez jac. You're such a girl! LOL

Re: Surviving Single - 04/21/13 02:37 AM

Sometimes. LOL!

Re: Surviving Single - 04/21/13 02:38 AM

LMAO> I won't tell anyone....

Re: Surviving Single - 04/21/13 03:38 AM

Now Jeanette could find someone easily I'm thinking. She seems like a cool and intelligent lady.

Merci !

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Surviving Single - 04/21/13 09:21 AM

Quote:
I enjoy my quiet and solitude too much.

Well, Izzy
You still have the chance and choice to continue enjoying them

I enjoy being alone. Nothing like a cup of coffee at sunrise or sunset ALONE on the beach or some sand dune

but .... sigh

It's too late for me ..
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Surviving Single - 04/21/13 02:02 PM

All fellow loners out there, you can still be in a relationship. Just don't full yourself by trying to get with somebody who is clingy. You may be able to do it for a month or so, maybe one year max. Then, tensions will rise, and it will be your fault for not being honest from the beginning. My wife likes her space, which works out for me because I like my alone time too. We only really argue about petty stuff due to a bit of immaturity still left in us.
Posted by: spuds

Re: Surviving Single - 04/21/13 05:22 PM

Never know,it just 'happens' when that right person comes along.Though later in my years,i wouldnt remarry now,too risky.Neither would Mrs.

We lived together many years,finally married for the legal aspects,nothing else changed commitment wise,but by then we sure knew we were right for each other.

Re: Surviving Single - 04/22/13 04:58 AM

I don't know if it is appropriate to mention this but anyways. Sometime ago I was Googling stuff about divorce and stumbled over a message board where two guys were talking about "synthetic women" (for lack of a better description). These are made of silicon and they are very realistic.

First guy has bought one for $ 5,000 !!
Second guy says that was very expensive.
First guy says : Not expensive at all, compared to what I had to pay during and after my divorce !

I felt real sad that human relations have come to that.
Posted by: Eastree

Re: Surviving Single - 04/23/13 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
I don't know if it is appropriate to mention this but anyways. Sometime ago I was Googling stuff about divorce and stumbled over a message board where two guys were talking about "synthetic women" (for lack of a better description). These are made of silicon and they are very realistic.

First guy has bought one for $ 5,000 !!
Second guy says that was very expensive.
First guy says : Not expensive at all, compared to what I had to pay during and after my divorce !

I felt real sad that human relations have come to that.

I don't feel bad for all of them. There are some folks out there I hope find other means than risking propagation of their genes.

Re: Surviving Single - 04/23/13 04:48 AM

When it comes to spouses , many times a guy shows disappointment that his wife does not share his love for preparedness or the outdoors.

Here is a funny guy whose wife is a hiker, while he is a couch potato.

Enjoy. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3AcCbw8zfY

Re: Surviving Single - 04/25/13 07:32 PM

Quote:
I don't feel bad for all of them. There are some folks out there I hope find other means than risking propagation of their genes.

Well, Eastree. From what little I have read about this subculture, seems that " gene propagation " is not what they are after. Some are lonely and need the company. Weird . huh ??? Well, at least these "things" look human. Wait until you know that I do sometimes feel "close" to my EDC bag. Not exctly an EDC perse , but a bag with miscellaneous "just in case" stuff that I take with me most of the time wherever I have to travel ( in addition to the clothes bag).

There were many times I felt alone and abandoned , and felt this bag on my side ( literally and figuratvely). Whether solving the problem using some emergency cash, or soothing my nerves clutching my fist on something there, it has always helped.

Funny it may seem. In that bag I have a folding knife that I rarely use for intended purpose. Its curved wooden handle is fantastic. When I am stressed, I hold it and sqeeze it in my hand and do feel some mental relief.

So, you can say , I have a weird "connection" to this bag. And it did not cost me $5000. Actually I bought a few years bag for a mere $6.00

Yup, six bucks only. It is the best 6 bucks I have spent.
Only regret that I didn't buy all those bags from that shop.

I am in deep love with this bag.
It's always there when I need it.

Re: Surviving Single - 04/26/13 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
When it comes to spouses , many times a guy shows disappointment that his wife does not share his love for preparedness or the outdoors.

Here is a funny guy whose wife is a hiker, while he is a couch potato.

Enjoy. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3AcCbw8zfY

LOL!!! Thanks for the giggles!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Surviving Single - 04/26/13 01:38 AM

He is definitely having to work hard to contain his enthusiasm,,,, about eating, about missing his sports on TV, etc.