DIY Projects?

Posted by: bacpacjac

DIY Projects? - 04/11/13 09:46 AM

Hi. My name is Jacqui and I am addicted to creating DIY camping gear. I'm not very handy with power tools. I don't use drills or grinders or a sewing machine, and the only thing I know about welding is "A before O or up you go" but I get inspired by seeing other people's projects.

I thought it might be neat to share our DIY project ideas, plans and results here. We've had a few threads on stuff we've made ourselves but it might be neat to put a collection together in one place.

What's your favourite DIY project? What are you working on right now? What's on your DIY bucket list?

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/11/13 10:06 AM

I want this:

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/cat/integrated_systems/P9/

But I can't afford it so I"m addicted to trying to make the perfect DIY nesting cook set. This is my most recent one:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=18242&Number=257965#Post257965
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/11/13 01:23 PM

re DIY...hurricane season is about a month and a half away.... thought I would pass along the final modification of the tent fan that I used to power my ceiling fan... I cut away the nose to expose more motor shaft, added a hub from an electric model plane that tightens to the motor shaft with a split collar, and attaches a 9x6 propeller... the nylon strap to the ceiling fan.. you need a counter weight on the opposite fan blade... moves considerably more air than the original foam blades, but is sharp if you run into it, and with a magnetic mount, as a stand alone wind source

Posted by: hikermor

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/11/13 03:09 PM

Can you use it as a weed whacker in the off season? It just looks multi-purpose - maybe an outboard motor as well?
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/11/13 04:35 PM

you guys in California are just jealous of all the fun we have in the tropical storm season... just wait till the Earth's rotation changes and you get the warm moist air... smile
Posted by: Greg_Sackett

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/11/13 05:59 PM

BPJ,

If you are looking for nesting cooksets, check out the Czech military sets. They aren't very common but if you can find them they are VERY nice for the price. I just got one off ebay and it looks quite tough. It's aluminum and of course no teflon but hard to beat for $15 or so. Nests well and the lid latches securely.

Czech Military Cook Set

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/11/13 06:50 PM

Thanks, Greg. I might need to put this on my wish list. I'm a sucker for military gear.

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/11/13 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Can you use it as a weed whacker in the off season? It just looks multi-purpose - maybe an outboard motor as well?

Nice mod! You could totally MacGuiver that even more, Les! I think I'm going to steal this idea for power failures at home. Thanks!

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/11/13 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg_Sackett
BPJ,

If you are looking for nesting cooksets, check out the Czech military sets. They aren't very common but if you can find them they are VERY nice for the price. I just got one off ebay and it looks quite tough. It's aluminum and of course no teflon but hard to beat for $15 or so. Nests well and the lid latches securely.

Czech Military Cook Set

Ya know, Greg. You've had me thinking about this on and off all day. I need help. I can't walk through a store without seeing something that makes me think I could use it as part of a nesting kit.
Posted by: Greg_Sackett

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/12/13 02:45 PM

I am known to be an enabler... Go ahead, you know you really NEED those. Imagine the possibilities. grin

Do a search for them. They pop up in interesting places sometimes.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/12/13 04:13 PM

Does building kits count?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/12/13 04:41 PM

Hey Jac. Currently designing a psk for a relative to carry while deployed. Catching up on my knife making, got a lot of boys in the field asking for knives. I always have half a dozen PSKs in various stages of progress, BOBs And reworking my INCH. Still writing and basicly killing time while waiting for planting time.

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/13/13 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Does building kits count?

Oh, God. Yes. It does. At least the rest of the internet thinks so.

-Izzy...he who has been reblogged all over Tumblr for his awesome kits.

Of course it does, Teach!

Re: DIY Projects? - 04/13/13 02:05 AM

I love to see what you come up with for that kit, Snake. I haven't weighed on on the relative threads so far, because this grasshopper listening and learning as you go. Thanks for sharing!