The thing that clips two gloves together?

Posted by: Bingley

The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/26/13 02:52 AM

I have a pair of gloves, and they originally come with a little D ring and a "clip" that keeps them together when they're not being worn. The "clip" broke and I'm looking for something that does the same job.

I'm putting quotes around "clip" because I don't know what to call it. Searching around on the internet didn't manage to bring up the item I have in mind. I looked into using a carabiner, because that would work, but I can't find anything small enough and light enough. (The clip will remain on one glove when you're wearing the pair, so you can't have a big thing dangling about.) But you have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Alright, so this is not really about survival, but you guys know so much about equipment that I'm hoping someone can help me with this.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/26/13 03:08 AM

You might try one of the smallest S-biners from Nite-Ize. Remove the old clip & thread it through the remaining loop.

If it's the loop that broke, they used to make short sections of elastic with clips like suspenders to attach gloves to sleeve cuffs.

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/26/13 03:33 AM

I was looking at the Nite-Ize, but even size 0 seems a bit on the big side.

The D rings are OK. It's the clip that's lost, presumably because it broke.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/26/13 03:48 AM

Nite Ize Sbp0-2pk-01 S-biner

Posted by: MoBOB

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/26/13 03:55 AM

That looks like it would work. Great pic!!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/26/13 11:07 AM

Old safety officer chiming in here. I wonder how good it is to have any kind of a clip, or even rings, attached to gloves you would be wearing. They could catch on objects and potentially cause problems. Would depend on the environment in which they are used.

This comment is worth every dime you paid for it......
Posted by: bsmith

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/26/13 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I wonder how good it is to have any kind of a clip, or even rings, attached to gloves you would be wearing. They could catch on objects and potentially cause problems. Would depend on the environment in which they are used.

1+

you didn't mention the type of gloves you are trying to connect.

for my leather work gloves, what works for me is a paper-punched hole in each glove which are then held together with a small carabiner that is attached to my pack.

one biner in front for ready use and one in back for long-term storage.

ymmv.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/26/13 03:46 PM

Old safety officer chiming in here. I wonder how good it is to have any kind of a clip, or even rings, attached to gloves you would be wearing. They could catch on objects and potentially cause problems. Would depend on the environment in which they are used.

Most of the clips little clips, rings etc I've seen on gloves and mittens probably wouldn't be much of a safety hazard, since they are so flimsy they would rip off before endangering you. Also, one must consider the chance of catching the glove on something against the risk of loosing a glove or mitten when you really need it.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/26/13 03:50 PM

http://nationalwebbing.com/products/SNHK21-Black-Plastic-Glove-Hook.html

I use these doubled and opposed to connect key rings, to attach a whistle to my pack
straps, attach a flashlight under my tarp, etc. They give way without breaking
at a low poundage, so use with that in mind.

If you want to PM me and send a self addressed envelope, I'll send you a few.

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/27/13 06:39 AM

Thanks, clearwater, for the generous offer. People like you are a credit to this forum! What's more, you've managed to find the right term -- so these things are called glove hooks!? Hunh. Excellent!

I think to use the item in the link, I'd have to run something through the ring to attach the hook to one glove, and that may require either restitching or breaking the plastic D-ring to replace it with a metal ring that could be bent open and closed.

I ended up getting this, which looks very close to the hook that broke. The measurements also seem to be the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-O-Ring-Glove...=item8019f9c931

Thanks again, everyone, for your suggestions! What a great resource ETS is!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/27/13 12:47 PM

Based on my personal experience and this is IAW MoBob's advice about safety, look at Grainger's Catalog #403; page 2457; bottom of the page, at Glove Clips. They come as a double clip (my preference) or as a belt clip. Colors are lime or Black. Item nr's are E5404 and E5405 and they sale for $5.01 ea. www.grainger.com

I have and do use the double clips and like them very much.

Usual discaimer, i have no affiliation with Grainger.
Posted by: sybert777

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/27/13 08:07 PM

I have a few. Would you like one? I have no use for them.

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/27/13 08:47 PM

Thanks, sybert, for the generous offer. I've placed an order already, so I think I'll be OK. Besides, hopefully the weather will finally warm up! But then that means I'll have to make sure to keep my gloves together for next winter.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/27/13 09:04 PM

Bingley, I intended to make an idiot string for mitts this winter, Bing, but since I was hibernating it fell off my radar. Thanks for the reminder. Ideally I'd like to have each mitt be clipped to the string that goes through my sleeves. These clips could work very well. Thanks for the idea!

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/27/13 09:08 PM

Most kids clothing stores in this neck of the woods sell little elastic straps with clips on them. They're like tiny suspenders to clip the mitts to coat sleeves. One would probably work well enough to keep a pair together, but they'd be a bit dangly and there'd probably be more chance that you could lose one since there is no actual ring to security them.

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/27/13 09:12 PM

One of the advantages of the clips on mitts, in my experience, is that they're not very heavy duty plastic and will brake, or at least bend and release, under pressure. Maybe hit your local second hand store and see if they have a pair of kids mitts with the clip still attached. Might cost a couple of bucks?
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/29/13 04:06 AM

I'm not positive,but the device you are talking about is, I believe, the basis for the term: dummy cord.
Posted by: widget

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/29/13 05:17 AM

Something on this page would work

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/snap%20hooks.html
Posted by: JBMat

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/29/13 06:27 PM

Idiot mittens...lol The artic mittens issued in Alaska had the string that ran from mitten up your arm, across your shoulders and down the other arm to that mitten. You could take off one and not worry about losing it or dropping it.

Dummy cord was para cord tied to a weapon or gadget so you wouldn't lose it.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? - 03/29/13 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: JBMat
Idiot mittens...lol The artic mittens issued in Alaska had the string that ran from mitten up your arm, across your shoulders and down the other arm to that mitten. You could take off one and not worry about losing it or dropping it.

Dummy cord was para cord tied to a weapon or gadget so you wouldn't lose it.

You can run the mitten strings up through your parka sleeves, which works OK as long as you are wearing your parka all the time, as when it is very cold. If you don't run it up the sleeves, but have the string outside over your shoulders, then it is always catching on things, which can be a hassle.

In many situations, you will often want to shed the parka when working hard, like when humping up a big climb. In that case, the string through the sleeves also becomes a pain in the rear. You have to take your parka off, fuss with the string to put your mittens or gloves back on, then do the same thing when you get to the top in the wind and you want your parka on again.

An overall better approach, in my opinion, is to have a short loop attached to each mitten and put the loop around your wrist. When you need to use your fingers, you just slip the mitten off and let it hang by the loop. When you shed your parka, it is easy to take the mitten and loop off in one motion. If you don't want to wear your gloves at all for a bit you can clip the loops to a small 'biner on your pack so you don't loose them. Some gloves and mittens, like the last ones I got at REI, come with the loops already in place with a cordlock for easy adjustment around your wrist.