Tactical Diaper Bag

Posted by: bacpacjac

Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/22/13 10:11 PM

I need your help, fellow ETSers. Having a baby has melted my brain and I'm having a tough time packing for two.

I am ditching my urban commute edc backpack. Thank you for all your help with that! Life has taken me in a new direction and now, in addition to the baby and her carrier/stroller, I need to also haul a diaper bag. Keeping in mind that it might not be me that needs to bag, I'd like it to cover more than simple diaper changes (i.e. power/vehicle failures, unexpected foul weather, etc.) It's sort of her own personal GHB/BOB but don't want it to weigh 800 pounds.

As of today, the bag is a typical diaper bag with a shoulder strap.
http://www.derekalexanderleather.ca/inde...t&Itemid=30

Right now, it contains:

Baby documents
Change pad
Diapers
Wipes
Roll of doggie doo doo bags
Butt cream
Vaseline
Receiving Blankets(2)
Extra onsie
Extra fleece sleeper
Baby leggings
Baby socks
Wool baby beanie
Soother
SS baby bottle
Instant formula (enough for 8 feedings)
Breast milk bags
SS Water bottle
Purelle
Simple FAK
OTC and prescription meds
Heat sheets (1p)
Bandana
Disposable poncho
Petzle E+ headlight (& extra batteries)
LED Glow stick (Thank you, Izzy!)
Gerber Suspension multi-tool
Cliff bar
Package of gummy candies
Maxi pads
Jetscream whistle on lanyard
PSK (modified DR/AMK, including MicroPUR tabs, BIC, etc.)

Things I'm considering:

1. I'd like to add a warmer blanket than the receiving blankets.

2. A second change of clothes for the baby would be better.

3. I'd like to add a shirt/top for me for those inevitable spit-up accidents.

4. Although we may leave the pavement when the days start warming up, we won't be venturing too far off the beaten path for the foreseeable future. (The "A Cautionary Tale for Parents" thread makes me nauseous.) That means I can use the storage area under the stroller - which is a space only slightly larger than this bag as it sits right now. (I thought about tackling my GHB/Day hike kit today but quickly realized that's going to take a lot more thought, and isn't going to be necessary for a while anyway. For now I can carry my pack while I push her and hers.)

FYI - It's winter here. We're still getting -10C or colder days, along with windchill and snow. I'll worry about sun and bugs when the seasons change.

Any suggestions from you grizzled parents out there?
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/22/13 10:21 PM

how about one nanny?

smile
Posted by: Pete

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/22/13 10:24 PM

"Right now, it contains: Baby documents Change pad Diapers Wipes Roll of doggie doo doo bags Butt cream Vaseline Receiving Blankets(2) Extra onsie ...
10 million other things ... Maxi pads Jetscream whistle on lanyard
PSK (modified DR/AMK, including MicroPUR tabs, BIC, etc.)"

Hahahahaha!
The next step is that you give up and stay at home.
Don't worry .. you'll be back in the wilderness in 5 years or so :-)

Pete2

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/22/13 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Pete
"Right now, it contains: Baby documents Change pad Diapers Wipes Roll of doggie doo doo bags Butt cream Vaseline Receiving Blankets(2) Extra onsie ...
10 million other things ... Maxi pads Jetscream whistle on lanyard
PSK (modified DR/AMK, including MicroPUR tabs, BIC, etc.)"

Hahahahaha!
The next step is that you give up and stay at home.
Don't worry .. you'll be back in the wilderness in 5 years or so :-)

Pete2

That's exactly what my husband said! LOL!

I've been housebound for a month and I am going a little bit stir crazy, but, seriously, I'm not worrying about being in the wilderness with her for the foreseeable future. I'm thinking more about getting stuck in unforeseeable circumstances - simply keeping her warm, dry and hydrated, while doing diaper changes in the cold and dark. My head is spinning a little bit thinking about taking her into Toronto for a pediatrician appointment next week. (It's a multiple hour round-trip commute, either by Jeep or multiple trains.)
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/22/13 10:46 PM

Baby documents?

The only thing you haven't thought of that I used to carry when mine were that size is a contractor bag. Yes, they made messes big enough that this was warranted. No, I won't discuss it further.

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/22/13 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Baby documents?

The only thing you haven't thought of that I used to carry when mine were that size is a contractor bag. Yes, they made messes big enough that this was warranted. No, I won't discuss it further.

LOL! excellent reminder, Chaos. It's been a long decade and I think my memory has blocked those things out.

Baby docs = hospital discharge report, health care card...
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/22/13 11:09 PM

Only thing I can add is a recent photo. Kids grow like weeds. A photo from last year may not represent what kid looks like today. Take quarterly photos up til about 8, then semi-annual ones.

Yes, a morbid subject, but it's not safe out there.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/23/13 12:00 AM

More Clif bars. That way, you won't have to eat the baby's food.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/23/13 12:10 AM

find a used 3 wheeled (high wheeled) jogging stroller to help lighten the load...

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/23/13 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: JBMat
Only thing I can add is a recent photo. Kids grow like weeds. A photo from last year may not represent what kid looks like today. Take quarterly photos up til about 8, then semi-annual ones.

Yes, a morbid subject, but it's not safe out there.

Good idea, JBMat. Thanks! (She's so new that we haven-t printed any yet.)

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/23/13 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
More Clif bars. That way, you won't have to eat the baby's food.

Shaking my head in disbelief. I really can't believe those people did that.

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/23/13 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
find a used 3 wheeled (high wheeled) jogging stroller to help lighten the load...

Done. Our Scouts group bought us a brand new one. I can't wait to try it out. We had one when my son was little and it rocked!

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/23/13 02:18 AM

Thanks, Izzy. I'll check that one out!
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/23/13 06:00 AM

Do you have duct tape to repair the bag if it gets huge rip in it? Or some zip-ties? I know these are typical PSK items, I just thought I would ask.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/23/13 06:19 AM

Dadgear diaper backpack. It's pretty sizable, I'd say about 2000 cubic inches. It can hold the full loadout for our twins and a sweatshirt for me.

http://dadgear.com/gear/Ladies/1/2/23/Ladies-Designs

The only addition I would suggest to your kit is reusable earplugs, duct tape, safety pins, and spare gallon size baggies for blowout casualties.

Loadout for the twins:
Diaper bag (comes with 21x12 changing pad)
Diapers: 4-6 with reloads in the car.
Wipes
Butt paste, vaseline, and baby wash.
Ziplock gallon plastic bags: 2
Ziplock quart plastic bags: 6
Dry formula powder: premeasured for 2-4 servings
Bottles/nipples: 2
Water bottle(s)
Burping cloth and spare bib: 2
Pacifiers and leashes: 2
Spare outfits (onsies, sleepers, socks, sweaters) : 2
Spare t-shirt for me
Earplugs
Repair kit: Duct tape, safety pins (SAK and flashlight are always in my pocket)
Jingle toys: 2
Gripe water/gas drops
Hand sanitizer

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/23/13 06:25 AM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Do you have duct tape to repair the bag if it gets huge rip in it? Or some zip-ties? I know these are typical PSK items, I just thought I would ask.

Great suggestion, MoBOB. I hadn't thought of that, but after experiencing a strap failure on my day pack this past Spring, I recall what a PITA it is.

Thanks!

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/23/13 06:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Dadgear diaper backpack. It's pretty sizable, I'd say about 2000 cubic inches. It can hold the full loadout for our twins and a sweatshirt for me.

http://dadgear.com/gear/Ladies/1/2/23/Ladies-Designs

The only addition I would suggest to your kit is reusable earplugs, duct tape, safety pins, and spare gallon size baggies for blowout casualties.

Loadout for the twins:
Diaper bag (comes with 21x12 changing pad)
Diapers: 4-6 with reloads in the car.
Wipes
Butt paste, vaseline, and baby wash.
Ziplock gallon plastic bags: 2
Ziplock quart plastic bags: 6
Dry formula powder: premeasured for 2-4 servings
Bottles/nipples: 2
Water bottle(s)
Burping cloth and spare bib: 2
Pacifiers and leashes: 2
Spare outfits (onsies, sleepers, socks, sweaters) : 2
Spare t-shirt for me
Earplugs
Repair kit: Duct tape, safety pins (SAK and flashlight are always in my pocket)
Jingle toys: 2
Gripe water/gas drops
Hand sanitizer

Thanks Mark! I'll check out those packs.

Gas drops, repair kit, baby wash ... awesome ideas that made me think "Duh!" When I read them.

I like the ear plug idea too. They'd be great for our other two kids if we got stuck in close quarters overnight. I'm the light sleeper in our marriage, so they could definitely come in handy for me too, but I'd have to use them very strategically. For example, a fire truck could roll through our bedroom with sirens and horns blaring, and my hubby wouldn't hear it if he was asleep, so I'd have to be sure he was on-duty if I used ear plugs when we were together. He, clearly, can manage without ear plugs. wink

Additionally, I'm going to add some hand warmers, a couple of lap pads (for leaks that make it through to the car seat), a couple more changes of clothes for her and an extra shirt for our son. I'll also make sure the adult shirt is unisex so both my hubby and I can use it.

Re: Tactical Diaper Bag - 02/23/13 06:42 AM

Originally Posted By: ILBob
how about one nanny?

smile

LOL! Or a Sherpa?