Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove

Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove - 02/11/13 03:52 AM

One of the more interesting stoves I'm reviewing right now is the IsoClean stove from Flat Cat Gear. The IsoClean stove is a "universal" alcohol stove in that it will burn any kind of the three alcohols typically out there: methyl (as in HEET), ethyl (typically the primary component of denatured alcohol), and isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. It will also burn blends of any of the three common alcohols.

I find the idea of a universal alcohol stove very appealing in that I can get fuel at gas stations (HEET), hardware stoves (denatured), or pharmacies (rubbing). Even fairly small towns may have one of the three types.

I'm not done with reviewing the stove, but I thought I'd post a preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CZdJbHmxTE

HJ

Edit: Can't get the video to embed, so, sorry, but just a link. frown
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove - 02/11/13 01:36 PM

Jim... I've posted this before, and you may have seen it...from the vids I've viewed, it seems that the isopropyl stoves need some form of glowing wire preheat and lots of air, low in the combustion chamber... I used 1/4" hardware cloth... two rings on the outside for a pot support and an inner ring for a vaporization chamber...screen in bottom to tie the mesh together... hand paper punch for the air holes... this is burning 70% isoproply... needs to preheat until the wire mesh glows, then needs the pot to sit on top

Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove - 02/11/13 05:09 PM

The stove I'm reviewing, the IsoClean, is a simple open cup. The stove is intended to be used with the Bobcat system that I posted a review of recently. With the Bobcat, the pot is supported by the windscreen and is very stable.

For the video, I put the pot on a stand and propped the windscreen open. If you look closely at the video, you can see the stand. The stand is just two pieces of bent aluminum rod adjusted such that the pot height above the stove is the same as it would be were the pot resting on the windscreen.

A video shot with a closed windscreen might be a little less interesting. smile

The pot had to warm up a little before the flame turned blue, but it didn't take long.

Interestingly, Flat Cat has another version of the stove meant to work with a canteen cup. The stove produces a, you guessed it, kidney shaped flame more or less matching the shape of the cup -- keeping the handles cool. Now, I thought that was pretty danged clever.

HJ
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove - 02/11/13 06:28 PM

Jim, Nice review.

Very versatile.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove - 02/11/13 07:12 PM

That's just a preview. One video does not a review make. smile I'm working on it...

HJ

Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove - 02/11/13 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Jim... I've posted this before, and you may have seen it...from the vids I've viewed, it seems that the isopropyl stoves need some form of glowing wire preheat and lots of air, low in the combustion chamber... I used 1/4" hardware cloth... two rings on the outside for a pot support and an inner ring for a vaporization chamber...screen in bottom to tie the mesh together... hand paper punch for the air holes... this is burning 70% isoproply... needs to preheat until the wire mesh glows, then needs the pot to sit on top

Oh, and those are great photos by the way. Would you mind if I used them in my review?

HJ
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove - 02/11/13 08:14 PM

Jim... be my guest... a note, the screen is only two rows high (1/2")... you see some reflection off the bottom of the pyrex pot

Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove - 02/11/13 11:36 PM

Ah, thanks. It does appear taller.

HJ
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove - 02/18/13 01:49 AM

Seems to me the difference between isonpropanol and other alcohols is that isopropanol needs more air supply to help the burning.

Can you please show the alcohol cup alone without the bobcat windscreen ?

Thanks

Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove - 02/21/13 11:32 PM

I will post some. I don't have all my photos uploaded yet.

HJ