Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel?

Posted by: KenK

Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/02/13 05:49 PM

All politics ignored (please) ... Take a look at the recently released picture of the President shooting a shotgun at this link. It seems to have a port that vents up the top of the barrel. Is that some kind of semi-automatic? I don't know much about them - having only used pump shotguns.

NO POLITICAL COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/wh-r...gun_699234.html
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/02/13 06:23 PM

I saw no pic. It was probably taken down in a hurry. That makes sense. I went there only to download the pic. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Here is the new URL:

www[dot]weeklystandard[dot]com/blogs/wh-releases-photo-PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.-shooting-gun_699234.html

LOL
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/02/13 06:51 PM

The forum's automatic politics censor blocks it because of the name in the link.

The photo is available on today's www.washingtonpost.com or www.nytimes.com

I'm not a shotgun guy, but it is obviously a gas port. The photo appears to have been taken in the summer. Looks like a nice gun.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/02/13 07:15 PM

I thought it looked more like a blackpowder rifle. I mean, he's shooting horizontally ...
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/02/13 07:25 PM

Probably is some sort of gas operated semi-auto...Who cares? I'm a pump man,myself (Mossberg 500).
Posted by: pforeman

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/02/13 07:43 PM

It's an over/under and is ported to vent gas up when shooting which is designed to help with the recoil. Not sure of the brand but a very nice gun for shooting clays. If you go to the flicker account and look at the original picture (you can get there from the newspaper posting) you can see the ports on the gun. Info on the process: http://www.magnaport.com/sgun.html
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/02/13 09:22 PM

looks like a Browining Citori ... ported as pforeman said to reduce muzzle rise/recoil... satin nickel colored receiver, probably a 725
Posted by: JPickett

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/02/13 09:35 PM

I'm not sure that's Magnaporting. The pattern should have numerous ports in a line so the "smoke" should look more like a sheet of smoke. However I've never fired or been present when a magnaported shotgun was fired so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/02/13 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Probably is some sort of gas operated semi-auto...Who cares? I'm a pump man,myself (Mossberg 500).

Daggumit, we care!

Inappropriate political commentary removed

(I'm trying hard to keep it apolitical, and being slightly tongue in cheek)
Posted by: Russ

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/03/13 12:06 AM

Looks very similar to my Browning 525 Sporting so a Citori 725 Sporting is a likely candidate.

They comes with multiple choke tubes and for some reason the gun O' is shooting only has one. Since there are doubles in Skeet, it's likely just some informal clay singles. He needs to work on his form.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/03/13 12:28 AM

They are nice guns and mine fit me right out of the box, I must be the Joe Average they use at Browning. My Trap scores jumped when I switched from my Rem 870TB (with custom fitted stock) to the Citori 525 Sporting. I bought the 525 for Skeet; shooting Skeet with the 870 was fun, especially shooting doubles with a pump, but the balance, fit, trigger et al of the Browning made for a nice package. So my Skeet scores improved because I was shooting a gun better suited to that game, and my Trap scores improved too even with the short 28" tubes.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/03/13 01:11 AM

Stud
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/03/13 03:44 PM

Since you asked, the veracity of that image has been called into question. Without getting into the politics, which we are not going to do, here's a link to a politicized article that discusses this issue. http://bit.ly/UNPhH6

Feel free to discuss the substance of the issue, is the image real, but please do avoid discussing the politics.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/03/13 04:37 PM

Doug's link doesn't work because of this site's automatic censor.

It seems to me a lot easier to have someone pose than to photoshop a picture and take the risk of getting caught and having it backfire. If PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. has good public relations folks (and he does), they'd know this.

Anyway, to really get into this issue the discussion will become political. Let's just admire the gun, whether photoshopped or not. I want a Citori, too. I've been wanting to shoot trap or skeet, but the investment is just too high. Maybe I'll get the CZ...

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/03/13 04:51 PM

Link fixed: http://bit.ly/UNPhH6
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/03/13 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Feel free to discuss the substance of the issue, is the image real, but please do avoid discussing the politics.

I ordinarily would not challenge or be critical of a comment by Doug Ritter. However, in this case I will.

1. To attempt to dicuss the issue but "...avoid discussing the politics" is not possible.

2. Why would anyone even care if the image were real, were it not for the politics? If there were a picture of the individual in question swinging a golf club, I doubt anyone would bother to examine the photo in any detail. The politics are the only reason it is an issue at all.

3. To discuss the issue with the automatic political censor in place is a waste of time. Anyone who tries to post a link to support their argument (pro or con) will have the link automatically disabled. Edit: See number four below.

4. The topic of this forum is survival. That is why most of us are here. There are a million other forums to discuss President PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER., gun control, politics, religion etc.

Posted by: spuds

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/03/13 05:22 PM

well at best it looks like someone who hasnt got a clue what he is doing was my thoughts on it.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/03/13 05:28 PM

AKSAR shows good sense. I'm with him.

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/03/13 05:31 PM

Post deleted

Re: Shotgun w/ Port on Top of Barrel? - 02/03/13 05:33 PM

OK, I give up, Locked