myan friday

Posted by: greenghost

myan friday - 12/19/12 12:08 PM

Hi all, its been a while. Just wanted to see what you are doing this friday? Im taking that day off from work because if there is any remote possibility of an event,; I sure dont want to be at work with a bunch of dough heads when it hits. Besides I need a day off as we have to work Mon, 24th

Im a Christian so I only believe in what Jesus said and He aint giving any hints.

On another note, any suggestions for cabin fever? It really messes me up this time of year

Thanks Folks!

Pooly
Posted by: spuds

Re: myan friday - 12/19/12 01:28 PM

Hey Pooly,good to hear from you!

Cabin Fever,Force yourself out. I even take the wife shopping just to get out,and I hate shopping but that change of scenary sure helps.

The 21st? Im off too,cant miss the end of the world doncha know. laugh
Posted by: bws48

Re: myan friday - 12/19/12 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: greenghost

On another note, any suggestions for cabin fever? It really messes me up this time of year

I have much the same reaction. I think it stems from the shorter days and lack of sun light. I find that simply walking for awhile outside in the sun, and/or sitting in a room brightly lighted by the sun helps a lot.
Posted by: Russ

Re: myan friday - 12/19/12 04:14 PM

It's a day much like many others.

I'm not a believer of Mayan prophesy or planets aligning to cause a gravitational effect which will cause massive earthquakes. Besides the sun which we orbit and the moon which orbits us, the other planets have a negligible gravitational effect even if they all line up nicely. That only happens in the movies and it does seem to sell tickets.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: myan friday - 12/19/12 04:29 PM

I'm traveling this week and I apologized to my wife for missing the apocalypse before I left.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: myan friday - 12/19/12 08:06 PM

My calendar also ends this year...on dec 31st, like it does every year. Then I go buy a new one.
Posted by: greenghost

Re: myan friday - 12/19/12 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: spuds
Hey Pooly,good to hear from you!

Cabin Fever,Force yourself out. I even take the wife shopping just to get out,and I hate shopping but that change of scenary sure helps.

The 21st? Im off too,cant miss the end of the world doncha know. laugh

Yes, Ive been hinting for snow shoes for a month. I dont care for snow much but I LOVE being outdoors. It will also be my first winter as a prepper so I can test out my gear Jeramiah Johnson style. laugh
Posted by: JPickett

Re: myan friday - 12/20/12 03:36 PM

"If I watch Jeramiah Johnson, Out of Africa and Ghost & The Darkness in one day I swear I could take on a bear with my bare hands."
Might want to watch "Beetlejuice" as well, to see what your life will be like after.
Posted by: picard120

Re: myan friday - 12/20/12 11:34 PM

is it a good day to fake illness to skip work?

Re: myan friday - 12/20/12 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: picard120
is it a good day to fake illness to skip work?

No.

Re: myan friday - 12/20/12 11:43 PM

Only if you are into faking illness to skip work. I have never feigned illness to get out of work. It's a day like any other, so no, it's not a good day to fake illness.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: myan friday - 12/20/12 11:53 PM

Tomorrow will be a good day to fake catastrophe to get out of work. "Hey, boss, I can't come in today because a gaping chasm just opened up near the entrance of I-17, and yea, verily spawns of Beelzebub doth spring up rom the fiery deep, wielding swords dripping with the blood of the just and unjust alike. The earth doth quake, the Four Horsemen stalk the land, now plagued with locust and pestilence!!! and I think I'm coming down with the flu on top of that."
Posted by: hikermor

Re: myan friday - 12/21/12 02:22 AM

I agree, not a good day for fake illnesses. I am scheduled to work on Saturday, the 22nd, and I alerted my supervisor that if the world ends on Friday, i might be a little late reporting for work....
Posted by: Chisel

Re: myan friday - 12/21/12 11:34 AM

In my corner of the world, Friday is an OFF day anyway.

Mayan or no Mayan , people are enojying the great weather. More camping, more travel. If you mentioned polar shift ..etc., it is just another joke to say in front of the campfire ! LOL

Re: Mayan Friday - 12/21/12 03:19 PM

Well, here we are on the other side of TEOTWAWKI wink

Got up, dressed warm (okay, warm for SOCAL) and walked the dog. Absolutely crystal clear sky, grass at the park was frosty, didn't feel any earthquakes and we haven't been hit with a solar storm EM field which could knock out civilization as we know it. The park's coyotes were out looking for rabbits so it seems as if it's just a day like many others.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Mayan Friday - 12/21/12 03:53 PM

So far so good!
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Mayan Friday - 12/21/12 04:52 PM

So, what's the next would-be catastrophe on the list ???
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Mayan Friday - 12/21/12 05:17 PM

The Gregorian calendar ends on the 31st!

-john

Re: Mayan Friday - 12/21/12 06:36 PM

Day's still young. Hopefully the Mayan apocalypse will hold off until I can catch a flight home.
Posted by: picard120

Re: Mayan Friday - 12/21/12 08:46 PM

oh damn. I thought the end of the world means I can walk on the street in my birthday suit.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: myan friday - 12/21/12 09:31 PM

Good strategy. But where do I get a new long term Mayan calender? A pocket sized one would be fine wink.
Posted by: wileycoyote

Re: myan friday - 12/21/12 09:57 PM

what's that sound? so loud! a heavy rumbling! the whole house is shaking!!!....

oh no, i think the end is really coming!!!!!!!!!...

... nope, just a herd of elk running by. wow, a few hundred of them running a couple hundred feet from my desk can sure make a lot of noise.

(no kidding, this happened just monents ago)

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: myan friday - 12/22/12 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Good strategy. But where do I get a new long term Mayan calender? A pocket sized one would be fine wink.

Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: myan friday - 12/22/12 06:16 PM

There are plenty of homeless shelters that could do with a hand.
qjs

>On another note, any suggestions for cabin fever? It really messes me up this time of year
Posted by: JPickett

Re: myan friday - 12/23/12 11:30 PM

"On another note, any suggestions for cabin fever?"
Joey, if you can find some of the lightbulbs which produce light similar to day light, I think the manufacturers refer to it as "Bright White" versus "Cool White", it may help in your lamps.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: myan friday - 12/24/12 01:29 AM

art supply stores and health food shops sell bulbs that are full spectrum.sort of spendy but well worth it.i used one on the light above the comfy chair at my cabin where i spent many a long winters evening and i thought those bulbs cast a "real" light and made book pages and the other things around stand out much better.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: myan friday - 12/24/12 04:17 PM

Thanks for the advice JPickett and Canoedog; but I'm fine. Maybe I should have explained the '> ...cabin fever' bit was a quote from Greenghost.
Isn't cabin fever just sick of being indoors? Can't one simply go out?
qjs
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: myan friday - 12/24/12 11:13 PM

Yup...stuck in the cabin..no place to go.this time of year "up north" the little bars in the tiny villages will be full of people going to the only place in driving distance.some ditch the car on the way home wearing nothing more than the "bar jacket" they pulled on when they left the house...