how do guys cope with getting older ?

Posted by: picard120

how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/17/12 12:16 AM

how do guys cope with getting older ?

how do you compensate for age in being prepare for diaster?
Posted by: Russ

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/17/12 12:37 AM

Don't dwell on getting old. Continue working out to stay physically active and fit. It's good for your brain.

Posted by: hikermor

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/17/12 12:55 AM

+1. Physical fitness is extremely important, as is more attention to maintaining health - regular checkups, preventive measures, and the like. Stay active and engaged.
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/17/12 01:51 AM

There's always the contrarian approach: "Eat, drink, and be merry, tomorrow you may be dead."
Posted by: Nomad

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/17/12 02:08 AM

Don't know.... I am 73 and have not gotten old yet. I have a few health issues, but that is nothing new. Come to think of it, I am surrounded by folks 60- 90 and we hike, ride bikes and in general enjoy life.

Most of us feel that life gets better as we get older. We have learned a lot, like simple is better, enjoy each other and that sort of stuff.

How do we cope? Very well, thank you.

Nomad, who lives a simple life in the desert with many good friends.

P.S. This Wed. a group of us will be hiking into the desert to do some archeology surveying for the Air Force (land owners). We will be carrying the standard gear, plb's, radios, food, water etc. We just walk slower, we are more careful and we watch out for each other. Guess we do ok with preps.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/17/12 06:41 AM

No magic answer here but I tell you what I do.

Getting very close to 60. So, I am not getting any younger nor healthier. In addition to the great advice of getting fit, I think that since we cannot get as physical as we were before , it is the more imprtant to get "better mental health" than before. It is still possible.

I used to be hot tempered before, getting upset about so many things that are not "right" either at work or at home. Now , I take it easy and try to be more focused on what is most important , shoving less important things a little behind.

For example, a few things at work are definitely wrong (IMO), but I have figured that if they weren't fixed in the last 20 years , they won't be fixed now, so why bother?? I better get more focused on thing that I CAN do , like gardening..... Speaking of which ... I can add the advice/suggestion : get yourself a useful, productive hobby that can help your mentality as well as help you in case of SHTF.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/17/12 07:10 AM

I lie about my age. That's how I cope. It works well. Give it a shot. Hint: people start getting really suspicious after the fifth time you turn 30.
Posted by: Ironwood

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/17/12 07:31 AM

I am mid forties and work is vey physical. I feel the aches and pains more than I used too, and dont work 12-18 hours days much anymore (self employed)and tons of hobbies and interests tied to my job. I have not yet begun to medicate with Ibprophen or asprin (aint that bad yet), but I do have my most recent reminder I aint getting younger, reading glasses. I was on my dualsport this summer while on vacation and on very remote forest roads and lost my reading glasses, I was "cooked" to read the map I had. It was a not so subtle reminder that in an emergency situation I had BETTER have multiple pairs around. A buddy was supposed to be with me (he had to cancel last minute) and I did have a contigency plan that my wife knew of (as well as a "rough" idea of where I would be that day)but still it was a little unsettling.

Ironwood
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/17/12 01:57 PM

Ironwood... you may already know the trick if you lose your glasses.... but if you curl your index finger over or under your thumb to make as small an aperture as possible, you can change the field of view ... and can see in much sharper focus ...

my last scooter crash was on a DL1000 VStrom

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/17/12 04:05 PM

WOW, that IS cool, just peeped thru a small small hole and #$%^ it worked, add that to my list of "Must remember".

THANKS, Ironwood

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/17/12 04:21 PM

I.too, really need glasses. The spare pair is always EDC, in a hard case. But the most challenging aspect of aging is that you progressively run out of excuses for immature behavior... I am more and more frequently having this conversation with myself..."Wait a minute! You must be mature about this! Take some time to think through a solution!" And, believe me, thinking is hard work.

Merry Christmas, all.....

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/17/12 05:36 PM

Ironwood... added a 3/32" and 5/32" clean hole to one of my plastic wallet cards... good insurance

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/18/12 12:08 AM

Just showed a few buddies the trick, they didnt know it either....Thanks again. Nice fleck/ray in that white oak table (wood guy here).

Ironwood
Posted by: Blast

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/18/12 12:58 AM

In the spring I lick pine pollen off my truck...while it's moving.
-Blast
Posted by: ironraven

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/18/12 01:39 AM

More advil and tums, less homebrew and fast women. Put on an extra thermal layer. Wear a hat in the summer- scalp burns faster than anything.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/18/12 02:05 AM

More fast women ... cool
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/18/12 02:25 AM

Closed cell sleeping pad and my regular thermarest. Thinsulate hat 3 months of the year and long johns just as often. More advil. Less hot chocolate around the evening campfire. I also find myself using a hiking stick more often. And I've graduated to appreciating a good merino wool sweater and socks.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/18/12 07:18 AM

good to hear i'm not the only one who added a closed cell pad to the thermarest!!right now i just have a bit the size of a record album cover,remember those?,that i put under my hip.
i also put blue sleeping pad over the wicker on my canoe seat and topped off the big foam bricks on the portage bar with a layer of closed cell..i got one of those at a yard sale for 50 cents and have cut it up for those projects along with a foot pad so i can keep my feet off the duff when i'm sitting on my folding camp chair.
the paddles are now used as hiking staffs on the portages.
i'm not so proud that i don't take advantage of the 5% off on Fridays at the local grocery store,thats like a free bag of chips!
but really,i'm more careful on the portages these days,that leaping from rock to rock with a 45 pound pack is now a careful step and same with ax and fire work.just a close eye on what i'm doing and no short cuts...some of that i guess is working smarter.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/18/12 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
In the spring I lick pine pollen off my truck...while it's moving.
-Blast

Despite the explosion-related injury to Blast's tastebuds, he has a tongue that would make a Komodo dragon gulp in disbelief. Stories of it are widely dismissed as urban legends in Troy, NY, but RPI alum swear to their veracity.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/18/12 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
More advil and tums, less homebrew and fast women. Put on an extra thermal layer. Wear a hat in the summer- scalp burns faster than anything.

Docs are starting to worry about long-term nsaid use. the mechanism isn't clear, but incidence of stroke and heart attack is higher with nsaid use in some high-risk patients. This might be another bpa fiasco, or it might not. Dunno. But take care, raven, we cannot afford to lose you.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/18/12 01:55 PM

just a comment for you northerners that spend time outside... make sure you have a yearly dermatologist visit... just lost a friend to malignant melanoma...and another found in early stages...you expect it down here, probably not so much in the northern climates.. I've had 3 basal cell and one squamous removed plus a half dozen or so cryro treatments per visit, so I'm on the 6 month schedule

get the shingles shot, the pneumonia shot, and the dreaded colonoscopy
Posted by: Eric

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/18/12 10:05 PM

I have to grow older but I refuse to grow up!

-Eric
Posted by: RayW

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/18/12 11:06 PM

Fast cars and younger women. Think that those combined is usually a catastrophe waiting to happen, so it's easy to plan for wink

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/19/12 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: RayW
Fast cars and younger women. Think that those combined is usually a catastrophe waiting to happen, so it's easy to plan for wink

Most survival car kits can probably handle this. You can even jump start your own heart if she's too much for you. Your water collection pouch originally had another use, you know.

Let's not exclude the mature ladies, though the thread is about "guys getting older." Would fast cars and younger men work for the aging gals? I suppose young men are invariably "fast," but are they too fast for cougars to catch up with?
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/19/12 02:07 AM

Black Ice & being stubborn enough to keep going toward class taught me well that I don't bounce as well as when I was younger and managed to do it before I hit 40.

How to compensate for me is best summed up with "work smarter, not harder". If you don't have to, don't try to do a heavy load in one trip - make two or get some friends to help or get mechanical help.

Every so often the weather forcaster knee that resulted from three patches of black ice gets ibuprofen
Posted by: Hanscom

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/19/12 03:43 AM

I spent nine days in the hospital two years ago with acute kidney failure. My nephrologist has me off all NSAIDS (with the exception of 81 mg of aspirin daily) to give the kidneys less stress.

Problem is that acetaminophen barely touches my back pain.

And I turned 70 yesterday. This getting old stuff sucks.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/19/12 06:19 AM

I'm 60+. One of our admin staff, a friend, asked me how I faired against younger adversaries in long complex matters. I conceded that its a challange. I noted my regular physical workouts to stay fit. I also noted that whatever loss of stamania I may have suffered due to age has been more than offset by the cunning gained from long years of experience.
Posted by: bws48

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/19/12 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
I also noted that whatever loss of stamania I may have suffered due to age has been more than offset by the cunning gained from long years of experience.

“Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill”

I never appreciated this wisdom until I went past 60. grin

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/19/12 01:49 PM

acropolis5 and bws48... I always had 3 books on my desk.. occasionally an inquisitive student would pick them up and ask to read them...after 9/11/01 the last two were recommended to any of them going to the military academies.. where hopefully they would be in the curriculum

A Brief History of Time...Stephen Hawking

The Art of War, Sun Tzu...translation by Samuel B Griffith

Seven Pillars of Wisdom... T E Lawrence
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/19/12 08:04 PM

More focus on exercise, general care, nutrition and planning.
Posted by: greenghost

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/19/12 11:53 PM

Glad you asked! When I get edgy about being old I simply listen to the grateful dead. Its not my favorite band mind you but it represents my generation and how powerful it is (was)Last of the baby boomers here!

I dont like the fact that the body breaks down so eaisily but I love the fact that Ive so many "experience points" on younger folk. Sure they are higher tech but I know enough to get by on my own. Ask a teen how long they could last living by 1972 standards and you'll get a good laugh because they wont have a clue. Makes me wish I listened to my folks more about living in the 40s.

I asked my older brother the other day if we were now old men..52 and 55. He said, "your younger than the mountain but older than a head of lettuce crazy Kinda made sense somehow that its all about attitude.

Faith & Friendship
Pooly
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/19/12 11:56 PM

Denial has been workin' pretty well for me! grin

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/19/12 11:58 PM

"The Strenuous Life" by Theodore Roosevelt is a webpage.
Posted by: mootz

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/20/12 12:17 AM

Hey, where are those "faster women" at?
Posted by: RayW

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/20/12 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Originally Posted By: RayW

Most survival car kits can probably handle this. You can even jump start your own heart if she's too much for you. Your water collection pouch originally had another use, you know.

Let's not exclude the mature ladies, though the thread is about "guys getting older." Would fast cars and younger men work for the aging gals? I suppose young men are invariably "fast," but are they too fast for cougars to catch up with?

Does seem to work for the mature ladies too. Old friend of mine uses her fast, small, difficult to get in and out of sports car to help weed out prospective suitors. As she says, small enough to fit, limber enough to get in and you are good to go.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/20/12 01:58 AM

Les,I like your mini library. I've read all but Hawking's book. I'd add "The Prince" to your list and re-read it every ten years.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/20/12 04:00 AM

acropolis5....it was purposely missing as somewhat of an inside joke... in 1972 I had the honor of being a lackey for one of the best Chinese Mandarin linguists in USAFSS, and he mentored me while working the air war over North VietNam...he always commented that the Command and General Staff College taught from the wrong textbook, and was always a war behind...and that they used Machiavelli and von Clausewicz and not Sun Tzu...I added T E Lawrence after 9/11

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/20/12 11:37 PM

how do guys know when one is over the hill?

what physical signs indicate over the hill ?
Posted by: ironraven

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/21/12 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: picard120
what physical signs indicate over the hill ?

When you trip over your own feet. And roll. And keep rolling. And you think you're rolling faster. That is when you know you've gone over the hill and are falling down the backside of it. smile

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/21/12 02:28 AM

Ask a lady friend. Usually after 18 you're over the hill. It's just a comfortable downward trip from there on.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/21/12 02:40 AM

Nearly every bike ride I take ends with the same slog up a noticeably steep hill. I have been climbing this hill fairly regularly for the past twenty-five years, riding essentially the same bike. I can see that I am using a lower gear and getting slower. But i am still climbing the hill!

You know you are getting old when the senior discount is given automatically.....
Posted by: Finn

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/22/12 11:28 AM

Fitness and taking the time to think through the best way to negotuate an obstacle/task.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/23/12 04:58 AM

Quote:
You know you are getting old when the senior discount is given automatically.....

LOL

Reminds me of an e-mail I received a few years ago, ( How do you know you became old) and it had about 20 points . Some made me laugh, and some made me wonder if someone was watching me that close !!! LOL .

Many of those points did fit local customes. One of them said ( you know you became old ... when you notice more young people calling you "uncle" ) and I noticed the young mechanic calling me "uncle" and the young engineer who supervised my house construction , also called me "uncle".

That's a definite sign ... LOL
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/28/12 01:58 AM

i'm 66 and look it--at my grocery store they give me the senior discount without asking anymore------------------
Posted by: JPickett

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/28/12 03:48 PM

"i'm 66 and look it"
Condolences. I'm 63 and look 66.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/28/12 08:13 PM

do you guys worry aging spots on hands & face?

Does anyone remove aging spots with laser ?
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/28/12 08:58 PM

Seriously Picard? I really hope your New Year's resolution is to stop trolling the forums here...

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/28/12 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

Seriously Picard? I really hope your New Year's resolution is to stop trolling the forums here...

I am not trolling. I am worry about getting old.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/29/12 12:32 AM

Why worry about something not in your control. We all age because we don't control time. We can mitigate aging by eating right, drinking less alcohol, working out and just doing good things for body and brain, but we can't stop it so worrying about it seems totally wasted energy. A guy I work out with is in his 80's. He's in the gym for 2-3 hours 5 days a week. He's in good shape (I will not qualify that by saying "for his age"); he looks his age but doesn't dwell on it. Personally I think worrying about it will make you age faster.

As for the comments by Teslinhiker, I agree. This isn't a whiner forum. You're worried about age spots? Really? frown That is so petty and narcissistic. If I had a trophy wife she could worry about age spots. I wear my age spots with pride.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/29/12 12:50 AM

Hey, relax, everyone. This whole thread is a little self-parodic, and it makes no sense to pick a fight. Worried about getting old? really? Even before Picard's post, there were already some posts that elicited a smile (from my face, anyway). 63 but looking 66? If you want to be self-righteous, you're at the wrong place.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/29/12 01:07 AM

I am not trolling. I am worry about getting old.

Considering your endless inane questions and frequency of such posts, you have more life health issues to worry and think about then getting old...really.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/29/12 01:16 AM

Well, if the question is "how do you age gracefully?", the answers are readily available - wear your seat belt, stop smoking (or never start), keep alcohol consumption under control, eat a sensible diet emphasizing fruits and vegetables which will help you maintain a reasonable weight, and get the proper amount and type of exercise.

I am now 75, and I am really thankful that I adopted a vigorous lifestyle fairly early and never let my weight get too far out of control. I stopped smoking after high school, and my booze has tapered off throughout (primarily because I witnessed too many SARs where alcohol was a factor).

I will kick off some day, but i hope to remain vigorous and competent until that time. I can control some factors, while others are not controllable. No sense in worrying....

Happy New Year to all!
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/29/12 10:06 AM

Betting older may suck but it's beat the alternative.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/29/12 10:44 AM

I'm grateful he comes up with topics to discuss. No one makes anyone read his posts.
If I really wanted advice I'd consult the professionals. Dougs gear guide on the home page is all you need to actually chose survival gear.
Forums are for conversation and hopefully some fun.
Keep em comin picard120!
qjs

>do you guys worry aging spots on hands & face?

>Does anyone remove aging spots with laser ?
>Seriously Picard? I really hope your New Year's resolution is to >stop trolling the forums here...

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/29/12 02:12 PM

Trolling? Nah. I don't think so. picard has over 700 posts and from what I've seen, contributes good stuff here. I think it's a reasonable question.

I do worry about age/sun spots. Not to the point of having them removed for asthetics but they are red flags for me. My dad has skin cancer so they're a reminder to use good sun protection and also a reminder to stay on top of my docs appointments and the changes that are happening to my body.

If there was ever a question about them possibly turning cancerous? Yup, I'd have them removed. Skin cancer is serious stuff.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/29/12 03:29 PM

[quote=bacpacjac]
Trolling? Nah. I don't think so. picard has over 700 posts and from what I've seen, contributes good stuff here. I think it's a reasonable question.

700 posts of mostly nonsensical questions. In any case, I found out how to ignore users here and will no longer see his posts.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/29/12 05:44 PM

It takes all types to make a world.

Admittedly, this arrangement can be trying at times.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/30/12 02:37 AM

Considering your endless inane questions and frequency of such posts, you have more life health issues to worry and think about then getting old...really.

This is an ad hominem attack that promotes disrespect and incivility. To accuse Picard of mental illness is quite inappropriate, and as such your treatment of Picard is conduct quite unbecoming. I feel I should speak out for the sake of fairness and for the ETS members who witness such pointless aggression. I hope no one will emulate it and ruin this forum -- is this what's called cyberbullying?

It's the moderator's job to decide what constitutes trolling. We are not a lynch mob.

Why don't you take some of your own advice, and free us of the burden of your posts? Better yet, I see that you've found a way to make Picard's posts invisible to you. Please be so kind as to share that trick with me, because I do not wish to see your mean-spirited attacks on others. This is a forum of civility.

Thank you.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/30/12 02:55 AM

In the Left column, click on the member's User name. Select "View profile" and on that page select "Ignore this user".

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/30/12 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Bingley

Why don't you take some of your own advice, and free us of the burden of your posts?

Thank you.

You are right. Mea culpa.

MOD's please close my account here.

Thanks

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/30/12 02:28 PM

Why do discussions like this always result with someone taking their football and going home? Rhetorical Q, no need to respond.

Teslin was only saying what I (I'd say many others but that would be presumptuous) was thinking. The saying goes that there aren't any stupid questions, but I tend to disagree.
Posted by: Newsman

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/30/12 09:37 PM

Sadly, this conflagration ignited from what may have been a legitimate question. While age spots may NOT bother you, they bother many people. And they deal with it -- the exact topic of this thread -- by zapping them with laser treatment.

From a yahoo article: "While age spots are not typically dangerous, they are one of the most definite signs of aging. In fact, among people who have reached 40, age spots are one of the most common skin issues that people complain of, second only to wrinkles." <http://voices.yahoo.com/laser-age-spot-removal-works-10497739.html?cat=69>

Everyone here says this forum is different, that it remains friendly and civil. Which it is. But this thread turned ugly with a harsh, demeaning accusation. Troll.

If someone thinks a forum member is a troll, please take it up privately with a moderator. They are the forum police as well as judge and jury.Therefore they are licensed to hunt and disable trolls.

Our job, as members, is to build this community. Not chase people away.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/30/12 10:33 PM

Quote:
Why do discussions like this always result with someone taking their football and going home?

Don't have an answer to that but there have been several where I've decided to stay out of the discussion (figured it would shortly be locked or deleted and my contribution would speed that up)

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/30/12 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Newsman
Sadly, this conflagration ignited from what may have been a legitimate question. While age spots may NOT bother you, they bother many people. And they deal with it -- the exact topic of this thread -- by zapping them with laser treatment.

From a yahoo article: "While age spots are not typically dangerous, they are one of the most definite signs of aging. In fact, among people who have reached 40, age spots are one of the most common skin issues that people complain of, second only to wrinkles." <http://voices.yahoo.com/laser-age-spot-removal-works-10497739.html?cat=69>

Everyone here says this forum is different, that it remains friendly and civil. Which it is. But this thread turned ugly with a harsh, demeaning accusation. Troll.

If someone thinks a forum member is a troll, please take it up privately with a moderator. They are the forum police as well as judge and jury.Therefore they are licensed to hunt and disable trolls.

Our job, as members, is to build this community. Not chase people away.

I totally agree. One of the things I love about ETS is that I can ask my "stupid" questions without being publically outted as stupid or a troll. We all have differing levels of experience so what one person thinks of as inane isn't necessarily so to someone else. It makes me uncomfortable and embarassed when someone gets raked over the coals because of a question they ask. Four recent examples come immediately to mind and in all cases, I believe we've lost contributing members as a result. Honestly, I think that's too many.

I felt welcomed when I started joining the discussions here, even though I felt woefully inexperienced compared to other members. I've learned a TON here because I haven't been affraid to ask y'all for guidance. We either welcome inexperience, and seek to learn and educate together, or we don't. Frankly, I like that ETS isn't elitist, and welcomes all comers without judgement.

Maybe it's the mom in me, but can't we all just be nice to each other? If someone asks a question that you think is so incredibly obvious that it's a waste of time, answer it or ignore it, but can we please stop the name calling?
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/30/12 11:43 PM

How do I cope with getting older? I grumble.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/31/12 04:58 AM

Quote:
I felt welcomed when I started joining the discussions here, even though I felt woefully inexperienced compared to other members. I've learned a TON here because I haven't been affraid to ask y'all for guidance. We either welcome inexperience, and seek to learn and educate together, or we don't. Frankly, I like that ETS isn't elitist, and welcomes all comers without judgement.

+ 1

I AM very different from the majority here. Not only I lacked knowledge in the prep world, I came from a different culture and had to learn the most basic of things. Many of my questions were stupid and even unnecessary for most. Yet no one made me feel any different than anyone else. I do appreciate that sincerely , and wish ETS remains the great place that we all know and love.

p.s.
A few days ago, I was watching (Tour of Duty) and another "stupid" question popped up in my head. I didn't ask then, but here it is : Does it happen that military officers of different ranks call each other by first name (lower rank calling higher rank by first name)? And after they retire or leave the service , does it happen they call each other by their former ranks ?

Such a question , won't help me prep or survive the fiscal cliff , but it popped in my head anyway.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/31/12 06:21 AM

The call for civility is of course quite correct.

It is worth noting that the season of joy and peace is for many a time of enormous stress, a lightning rod for the many difficulties people face.

It is also worth noting that this forum is unusual in that members take a personal stake in what happens here. It is rather more like a volunteer organization than the usual anonymous Internet free-for-all. I have seen this in myself, and have had to temper my pooh-bah-ish tendencies and back off. Sometimes a fellow member will get under your skin. I have to remind myself that I am always a guest on this forum, and a student of these complex arts.

This is a community, and we imperfect mortals all have our moments of frustration. I for one have posted a few things I should not have, and have pulled back a few boneheaded comments that were posted in anger.

Civility, yes. And that includes accepting a mea culpa in good faith.

My 2c.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/31/12 06:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
[quote]

p.s.
A few days ago, I was watching (Tour of Duty) and another "stupid" question popped up in my head. I didn't ask then, but here it is : Does it happen that military officers of different ranks call each other by first name (lower rank calling higher rank by first name)? And after they retire or leave the service , does it happen they call each other by their former ranks ?

Such a question , won't help me prep or survive the fiscal cliff , but it popped in my head anyway.

From a retired Air Force Master Sergeant, here's the answer: It depends. The normal rules are that the junior never calls the senior by their first name. They are addressed by their rank or Sir/Ma'am in all but a few instances. The Navy and Coast Guard call their commanding officer "Captain" even if they do not hold the rank of O-6 or not (Navy and Coasties feel free to correct me). In some organizations/situations the rules are "bent". Aircrew and Spec Ops types are in a totally different culture than the rest of us slugs. In some instances, enlisted call officers by their first name (USAF aircrew that have enlisted and officer members). I was a regular guy when I ran into the "highly irregular" practice of first name addressing during my last assignment in the Air Force. I spoke with the senior member (Lt. Col.) about how a major called him by his first name. Basically, it is allowed in their circles for convenience of in-flight operations. I also spoke with some fellow enlisted guys about this. It was the same answer. However, I will say that they are cognizant of the rules when they are not around their "own kind". It is a bit of a juggling act.

Now when it comes to retired life, some people choose to call people of certain ranks by their former ranks out of either habit or respect. In my case, I have a habit of calling a retired Chief Master Sergeant (USAF highest enlisted rank) "Chief" (an acceptable in-service form of address). I do the same for full-bird Colonels (Air Force/Army/Marines)/Captain (Navy/Coast Guard) and Generals. In post-service situations there really is no need for the formality, it is just personal preference. Now, if military retirees are in uniform for an event, then the protocols are typically expected - Rank or Sir/Ma'am, saluting, walking positions and so forth. Finally, if someone calls me "Sergeant", I feel honored. Does that help?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/31/12 02:12 PM

I've been on the road and didn't see the unpleasantness in this thread as quickly as I might have. Further rudeness or ad hominem attacks will not be tolerated. Most posters in this thread have been civil and there is useful information being exchanged, so I will not lock the thread now.

chaosmagnet

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 12/31/12 04:10 PM

My experience both while active and now that I'm retired is very much like MoBOB's. It depends.

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 01/01/13 04:46 AM

Sure, thanks MoBOB.

When I watched Tour of Duty, I liked Zeke Anderson's character , his relation with his men, and relation with his boss (Lt. Goldman). And I watched him closely in different (relaxed or stressed)situations and just luiked that subtle humour in him. This interest in characters developed from my frustration of some diffcult charcters around me.

Regarding this thread, I wrote the question to show that people are different and what goes in everyone's mind is maybe different from others. So we should always expect others to focus on different angles of any subject, have their own preferences in any situation, and we always have the option to respnd or ignore.

Thank you MoBOB. You choose not to get frustrated with my question. You also chose not to ignore the question, but to generously and patiently answer the question and enlighten me in this area. Many thanks.

And thanks Russ

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 01/01/13 04:59 AM

Back to original subject

About getting older , I have become less mobile , and less enthusiastic to move. It is creating a gap between me and family because I don't like travelling or even going to the mall. Fortunatley the kids drive now, so they do most of the shopping and other errands.

A few months ago we travelled together, but I didn't see it as a "vacation" for me, I saw it as a "duty" being the family head to give everyone some good time. That vacation ended without me feeling I had enjoyed it. It was just another duty to fulfill. And was frustretd when I was asked at work ( where did you travel in your vacation? ). It was a given that travel IS what vacation is !!

Actually, a REAL vacation for me is to be left alone in some remote ( but safe ) place , for 2-3 days. No one around, no phone calls, nothing. In that period, I want with me a bunch of reading materials and my bug out bag to test in those 2-3 days. That would be a REAL vacation for me. No duties, no malls, no calls, no nothing but a bunch of books, and a cuppa coffee on an esbit stove.

I don't know if this counts as a sign of "getting old" ..
I think it is .
Posted by: spuds

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 01/01/13 06:36 PM

I really dont know what to say to this topic.We age,we slow down,we WILL have health issues...it is what it is.Life.

Now the controversy,sheesh,I DO know life is too short to get bent about it,let it go is my feeling,its just a thread,sheesh!

Count your blessings,every day you awake and are cognizant and functional is a wonderful day.
Posted by: greenghost

Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? - 01/03/13 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
No magic answer here but I tell you what I do.

Getting very close to 60. So, I am not getting any younger nor healthier. In addition to the great advice of getting fit, I think that since we cannot get as physical as we were before , it is the more imprtant to get "better mental health" than before. It is still possible.

I used to be hot tempered before, getting upset about so many things that are not "right" either at work or at home. Now , I take it easy and try to be more focused on what is most important , shoving less important things a little behind.

For example, a few things at work are definitely wrong (IMO), but I have figured that if they weren't fixed in the last 20 years , they won't be fixed now, so why bother?? I better get more focused on thing that I CAN do , like gardening..... Speaking of which ... I can add the advice/suggestion : get yourself a useful, productive hobby that can help your mentality as well as help you in case of SHTF.

I totally agree Chisel and follow the same suit. However the pangs of old age...errr..maturity, such as sore joints and other ailements really disrupt my mental focus at times. I, despite my disabilities, was feeling pretty good about life and everything (excluding current politics)the other week. Then NH seacoast got nailed with back to back snow storms. I accepted the fact that I am just in no shape to shovel so much anymore. Gonna get a mean snowblower for next year. Dont mind getting older especially when my goal is to exit this life and get into peaceful eternity in Heaven. But man, stuff sure does change between 18 and 52 cry