Dual Survival Is Back !!!!

Posted by: SurvivePenna

Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/12/12 03:31 PM

I've known for a while that Cody Lundin got a new partner (Joseph Teti) for Dual Survival after Dave Canterbury left the show. I've been tracking the progess as they were filming the new season as best as I could. I'm a huge fan of the show and of both Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury.
Last news I heard was that Cody said they were about half way done with filming the new season...so this morning I went on his Facebook page to see if I could find any news about when the new season will air.....and this is what I found :

"Hi Campers, It's finally here....thank you for your patience! Cody

DUAL SURVIVAL: UNBRAIDED
Premieres Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 8PM E/P

This one-hour special kicks off the new season of DUAL SURVIVAL with never-before-seen footage of outdoor survival skills instructor Cody Lundin and introduces viewers to his brand new partner, special operations veteran Joseph Teti. DUAL SURVIVAL: UNBRAIDED also gives fans a sneak peek of the third season as the duo is thrust into survival scenarios ranging from lost hikers on the side of a jungle volcano in Nicaragua to downed paraglider pilots on a 17,000-foot peak in Chile’s Atacama Desert. Viewers also get an up close and personal look at Cody’s off-the-grid passive solar earth home in the remote Arizona desert and join Joe on the firing range as he hones his skills with his combat tested M-4 rifle and Glock 9mm pistol. This special provides an intimate look at the new team as they struggle against Mother Nature and, oftentimes, each other.

DUAL SURVIVAL
“Mars on Earth”
Premieres Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 9PM E/P

Chile’s Atacama desert is the driest place on Earth, and it’s landscape is so barren and unique that NASA uses it as a testing ground for it’s Martian rovers. It is here that Cody Lundin and Joe Teti are put to the ultimate desert survival test. In this scenario, they take on the plight of a downed paraglider pilot who has crash landed on a mountain peak over 14,000 feet above sea level. Facing acute altitude sickness, and with limited water and resources, they must strip the paraglider for all it’s worth and head out in search of civilization and re-hydration.

Check out more exclusive Dual Survival photos on my blog at

http://www.codylundin.com/wordpress/dual-survival-press-release/
"

Now the wait begins....

Although I loved the dynamics of the partnership between Cody and Dave.....and firmly believe the show won't be the same without Dave Canterbury...I'm really looking forward to the new season ! smile

Are you a fan ??????
Posted by: bws48

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/12/12 05:11 PM

I'll probably tune in, but not too much of a fan.

I don't get the fascination with special ops military types in these survial shows.

I would love to see Cody and Les Stroud do a dual survival show. That pair could really teach something.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/12/12 05:42 PM

In the earlier Dual Survivals, Cody appeared to be more the real deal, with Dave being his amusing sidekick. We'll see how this new guy on the show pans out.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/12/12 07:24 PM

I'm looking forward to it. I have to admit that I enjoyed the two seasons with Dave Canterbury, and still watch his youtube videos. I'm a fan of Cody Lundin's as well, and look forward to seeing how the new season and partner work out.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/12/12 11:07 PM

I'm very much looking forward to it, we enjoyed watching it -- although the episode where Dave used gunpowder to cauterize a self-inflicted wound still irritates me hugely.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/12/12 11:59 PM

I love the show! Granted, it's infotainment but much better than 98% of the crap on TV.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/13/12 12:30 AM

Watching the show is priority 4,983, based on what I have seen so far. The gunpowder bit was so daffy I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

The problem is that some people will actually believe the crap they spew.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/13/12 01:09 AM

Quote:
Or turn carpenter ants into sutures to treat an open wound on the side of a volcano in Nicaragua?

Oh No not again! crazy

Why not just buy some Steri strips, they weigh nothing, they are sterile and they are cheap.

Nexcare 3M Steri Strips

I think I will stick to Colins approach to Wilderness Survival just as the real world most top secret Special Forces do. grin

Posted by: Chisel

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/13/12 06:33 AM

Instead of a spec ops guy, I wish the new partner was a bushcrafter like David Wendell

http://www.motherearthnews.com/biographies/david-wendell.aspx

Posted by: leemann

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/13/12 09:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Instead of a spec ops guy, I wish the new partner was a bushcrafter like David Wendell

http://www.motherearthnews.com/biographies/david-wendell.aspx

Or Ray Mears.

Lee
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/13/12 01:28 PM

That would have made more sense but I'm sure was not the goal of the producers. In their minds (or so I imagine) they want the tension between the two approaches to be part of the show's dynamic.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/13/12 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
That would have made more sense but I'm sure was not the goal of the producers. In their minds (or so I imagine) they want the tension between the two approaches to be part of the show's dynamic.

Could not have said that better myself... smile Mears and Lundin would have been fun & very interesting to see though.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/13/12 05:32 PM

Perhaps it would be better if Cody had a CGI partner, like Ted, Bart Simpson, or Wile E. Coyote. That would solve the dominant partner issue and clarify the reliability of the information presented.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/13/12 10:20 PM

I think the producers are trying to get the drama of two different styles of survival.Cody's is a Neo-primative style.Dave Canterbury had a more Mountain man styla with some military mixed in.It fit in well with Cody's style I thought.Joseph Teti,style I think will be a more evaision and escape style as taught in SERE schools.While I was in the service I was given very little survival training.It was for pilots and SPECOPS types only.From what I can understand SERE teaches keep moving stay hidden stay alive till you can get to friendly lines.If you do get caught,resist and plan escape and maintain military ethics.
I am looking forward to this new season but will miss Dave CCanterbury.I just hope that they can actually teach something and not let the producers make it a dramafest.....

BOATMAN
John

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/13/12 11:59 PM

While SERE is undoubtedly useful in its context, most of us are not likely to be engaged with hostile forces and need to embrace pragmatic survivalism,which often means we should stay put, conserve energy, and make ourselves as conspicuous as possible, using whatever appurtenances of modern civilization (up to and even including pliers!)we might possess to win out. I'll bet a lot of us even wear shoes when venturing into the wild.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/14/12 08:57 PM

Hikermor,
I completely agree and that is what I was trying to convey.I am curious to see if that is what we will see.I just hope that the show producers don't turn him into another Bear Gryls.....

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: greenghost

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/19/12 11:53 AM

This is great! Cody is the ultimate in survival common sense and attitude. I Liked Dave OK just because it was like watching a boyscout on pixie sticks and Mt Dew run amuck. Cant wait to DVR the new season.

OH, Merry CHRISTmass folks!
Posted by: Finn

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/22/12 11:27 AM

If I had cable, I'd watch it for the entertainment.

I like Cody's books and Dave's vids.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 12/22/12 08:41 PM

I watch it online. I don't have cable either.
Posted by: comms

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/06/13 05:32 AM

Well I watched the first two episodes of this new season this week and loved it. I have met Cody and he is the real deal and really enjoy him on tv. I wasn't a big Dave C fan but tolerable.

I really like Joe. To be honest I am more in his vein of thought process and background than Cody's so i feel more comfortable with his prospective. Also the same reason I was a big fan of Man, Women, Wild.

Les would have been a great team mate for Cody, but honestly I think that is more 'dream team' than 'opposing views team'.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/07/13 04:48 AM

I tried to watch the Unbraided preview- I couldn't make it three minutes. The new guy just rubbed me the wrong way while having a hissy about how you have to kill a snake or it will follow you and crawl in your sleeping bag. Please...

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt Joe is a very capable operator, and I respect him as a shooter. But I've known a a lot of people in that community, I grew up around it, so it doesn't make me into a perky and squirmy fanboy when they start talking about units. And I suspect that was part of why they brought him in.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/07/13 12:15 PM

A word from Dave about DS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDmRrJ-GdUA

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/07/13 02:09 PM

Snakes follow you in order to deliberately crawl into your sleeping bag? - Please.... Stuff like this reinforces my opinion that these shows are just rarefied BS that misleads the public (how about cauterizing wounds with burning gunpowder?) into a very bizarre and unrealistic view of the outdoors.

A total waste of time and resources - entertainment uber alles.....

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/08/13 02:58 AM

[/quote] I think most people who spend time outdoors watch it to laugh. [/quote]

I am sure you are correct about folks with a fair amount of experience, but what about the rest of the population who have little outdoors exposure? What about the young, inexperienced kids who will watch this slop and actually think it is good technique?
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/08/13 04:39 AM

Quote:
I tried to watch the Unbraided preview- I couldn't make it three minutes. The new guy just rubbed me the wrong way while having a hissy about how you have to kill a snake or it will follow you and crawl in your sleeping bag. Please...

Indeed, you don't have to kill the snake, SAS Survival Skills seems to have a different survival doctrine to US SOCOM survival techniques. Punching the snakes lights out is the preferred British technique. The snake will become so disorientated that it won't be able to follow you to snuggle up in the sleeping bag later in the evening.

There are also significant differences in the consumption of ones own bodily waste products. Distillation of the Urine prior to consumption is the preferred SAS method to the Dual Survival demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCJFpwb2Opc

Peeling a rotten cow carcase to make a Cowboy hat, however does demonstrate some rather advanced millinery survival techniques beyond anything the SAS can muster though wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkvW1N0QNA
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/08/13 01:32 PM

As a retired veteran, a graduate of several survival schools, someone who teaches it for a job (occasionally), and a scoutmaster who teaches this stuff to the kids, I have to tell them constantly to not take what they see on TV seriously. They do look at these shows as if they impart knowledge. The kids, and their parents in many cases, need to be told how bad some of the techniques are that they have seen. In the best case, they are not seeing all of the components of a skill that is demonstrated. These shows do not teach survival techniques. Emulating any of them will likely get you in trouble in a real life situation.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/08/13 01:33 PM

My son and I watched "Mars on Earth" on the weekend. Gotta say that I didn't like it as much as the first two seasons. I like Cody but this felt like more entertainment than education. (Moreso than the first two seasons.)

I missed the snake part but my 9 year old pointed out that:

-splitting up (and going different directions) isn't smart
-he wondered why Cody did leave signals for Joe when he changed location. Relying on the yellow helmet worked, but "wouldn't it have been smarter to make some arrows or something?"
-drinking your pee isn't smart
-running across the desert in bare feet isn't smart
-running down a sandy slope isn't smart
-leaving the rope/parachute behind when they climbed down into the canyon wasn't smart. (I pointed out that it was anchored at the top, and he countered that they could have cut it and at least brought some of it with them.)
-not gathering resources (i.e. firewood) when you can isn't smart
-collecting those bean/seed pods to eat was smart. He wondered if there weren't more that they could have taken with them
-he wondered by Cody didn't make a hand drill, instead of fretting over only having one match

We'll watch it again, but keeping entertainment vs education in mind the entire time.
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/08/13 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
As a retired veteran, a graduate of several survival schools, someone who teaches it for a job (occasionally), and a scoutmaster who teaches this stuff to the kids, I have to tell them constantly to not take what they see on TV seriously. ......Emulating any of them will likely get you in trouble in a real life situation.

Well said. That sums it up for me.

Blake
Posted by: haertig

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/08/13 06:39 PM

It's designed for entertainment. There is good information presented, and some bogus information. It is up to the viewer to recognize and understand the difference. But to say everything that is presented is nonsense, is in itself nonsense. You can certainly pick out some useful information.

This reminds me of a scene in a show a few years back. The show was "The Unit", about a specialized military ops team that would go into bad situations and do, well, special military ops type of stuff.

In one episode one of the guys and a female sidekick were stranded in the outdoors after their helicopter crashed. There in the forground of the scene was the guy making and using a firebow to start his fire. And right behind him was his still-flaming helicopter. I always wondered why he didn't just go poke that flaming helicopter with his firebow to get the silly thing lit to start a fire. Seems like he did it "the hard way" for the show.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/09/13 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: haertig
It's designed for entertainment. There is good information presented, and some bogus information. It is up to the viewer to recognize and understand the difference. But to say everything that is presented is nonsense, is in itself nonsense. You can certainly pick out some useful information.
Undoubtedly, some good stuff is presented, but if it up to the viewer to select and discriminate, to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak, what is the point? Some of us are concerned about the effect of this stuff on those who will suck up everything, not being able to tell the good from the bogus.

I love your example of the flaming helicopter....

Some of this stuff can be deadly, not just minor differences of opinion about the best kind of firestarter.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/09/13 01:03 PM

TV is entertainment, period. No matter how good the technique that may be demonstrated, or how appropriate, they do not show enough detail, and rarely the complete process, for a novice to be able to use it effectively. If they prompted further research and knowledge seeking, including practice of the skills before an emergency situation, which some may do, then few people heed this advice.

I like Cody's books, they are practical and give good information. I am sure that all of the actors in these shows do have some good experience. All of the shows are under the direction and control of the producers and directors, and they are there for ratings, not instruction.
Posted by: widget

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/09/13 06:48 PM

I watched the first and second episode and recorded the third. I did see a few minutes of that third episode and was not impressed with the "predator" scenario.

I also was not impressed with the first, introduction episode and the desert show. I think Discovery is over doing the special operations angle and the whole military "connection" to these shows. As someone that spent 20 years in the military and 17 of that in special operations as a Army Special Forces qualified soldier, I am not impressed with what Discovery is selling. Sort of offended, actually.

I have a lot of respect for Joe Teti and his service and his training, that doesn't mean I want it thrown at me every few minutes. You're out of the military, stop using it as a career crutch.

Cody, despite any good technique that he knows and preaches, is doing the viewer a disservice by participating on these shows which are clearly scripted and aimed at the ignorant, and not in a helpful way.

I have a 6 year old relative that loves the outdoors and shows about the outdoors, he can't watch Dual Survival because of the stupid stunts like drinking urine and cauturizing wounds with gunpowder. Now, with season 3 we have the added language using "F" words, bleeping constantly while the 2 characters argue about nothing, except the ablity to argue. This sort of nonsense is not good for kids.

Discovery channel seems set on filling their schedule with shows about people in conflict over, motorcycles, gold mining or the outdoors. They seldom have informative shows about useful subjects, everything has become over sensationalized BS aimed at some gullible viewers. Sad, they are going the same way as so many other networks and not providing much decent programming.
Posted by: spuds

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/09/13 08:04 PM

Widget you nailed it 100%

I tried to watch it,its so dang stupid I gave up.

If you dont know urine goes into a toilet......
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/09/13 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: spuds

If you dont know urine goes into a toilet......

... in a outdoor survival setting? confused
Posted by: Stephen

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/09/13 09:42 PM

Was it really that bad guys ?

I havn't seen the new season yet and now I don't know if I should bother.
Posted by: widget

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/09/13 09:54 PM

I'd say yes, it is that bad but you judge for yourself, your taste may vary from mine.

I will record the shows and give them a few minutes, if they fail to interest me, off it goes.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/09/13 10:07 PM

I can't even find it on PVR. It's on Discovery channel right?

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/09/13 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: widget

I have a 6 year old relative that loves the outdoors and shows about the outdoors, he can't watch Dual Survival because of the stupid stunts like drinking urine and cauturizing wounds with gunpowder. Now, with season 3 we have the added language using "F" words, bleeping constantly while the 2 characters argue about nothing, except the ablity to argue. This sort of nonsense is not good for kids.

^^ This pretty much sums up my hubby's take on what he saw in the second episode.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/09/13 10:40 PM

It is all going down the drain as the reality TV craze grows, instead of disappearing as it should.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/10/13 02:23 PM

DS is a TV show. TV is a business. They are in business to make money. Drama + Action = Viewers. The more viewers...the more money.

I watch the show because I like it and because I am thoroughly entertained. That does not always happen though.

About the episode dubbed "On The Menu" :

One thing (amongst many) that really seemed wierd was the whole concept about being two game warden's who overheated their vehicle's engine and lost track of where they were. So far so good...or at least it's possible albeit remotely possible. However to have TWO game warden's completely WITHOUT knives or any kind of firearms seems beyond ludacris to me.

DS has always been scripted, but with this season it seems to have been cranked up quite a bit. In fact I really hope that it is because of the script that Cody seems like a complete survival novice half the time. "I'm only going to carry firewood because you went up the mountain to get us ice...." crazy

Please !!!!

Or..."I live and work in the desert...I haven't carried firewood for over 20 years and I'm not about to start now..."

Well, Cody...are you at home ??? Where are you Cody ??? Have you ever heard about the "grab it while you can" survival mantra ???

Look up the Atacama desert !!!! Any 5 y/o can google Atacama these days...

And so on...

I love the show and will continue to watch it. Perhaps I treat it like when I watch Star Wars or Star Trek...it's a guilty pleasure. It's entertainment....

One last thing : I would have to agree with what was said in this thread about children no longer being able to watch the show. Sad but true. All we have is...DS and Survivorman. Both shows are being watched by children although Survivorman is in a whole other category when it comes to being fit for children.
Posted by: barbarian

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/10/13 02:31 PM

If I have time to watch Dual Survival, then I have time to go outside and practice skills. Both are entertaining- only one is productive.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/10/13 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: barbarian
If I have time to watch Dual Survival, then I have time to go outside and practice skills. Both are entertaining- only one is productive.

I would agree, except that I can watch DS when I'm stuck inside with a sick kid or newborn. wink

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/10/13 05:33 PM

If you have time to post on an internet forum.....
Posted by: barbarian

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/10/13 06:14 PM

Quote:
I would agree, except that I can watch DS when I'm stuck inside with a sick kid or newborn. wink

There isn't a soul who would disagree with that logic, Ma'am. cool

Quote:

.....then it would mean I am necessarily on a computer, instead than taking care of other obligations, or taking full advantage of what little free time one has, nowaday.

If you prefer to spend your own watching scripted melodrama, that is entirely your business.

Best of luck.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/10/13 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Stephen

Thats why you get a smartphone, so you can be outside in the bush posting on an internet forum with one hand while carving a spoon with the other.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/10/13 08:45 PM

If you prefer to spend your own watching scripted melodrama, that is entirely your business.

All T.V is scripted melodrama man. Even the news.

Best of luck.

K...Thanks I guess.

Best of luck with what exactly? Watching television?

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/10/13 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene

Thats why you get a smartphone, so you can be outside in the bush posting on an internet forum with one hand while carving a spoon with the other.

Touche mon ami

Although I admit, you would still need both hands to carve a spoon.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/11/13 12:15 AM

You just have to learn to use all three hands :P

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/11/13 12:36 AM

laugh

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/11/13 12:50 AM

You just have to learn to use all three hands :P

Wait...What? I don't get it.

I know I am the subject of a ribbing I just don't understand smile

....And dear Lord. I just tried to watch a little bit of S3,E1 whilst doing some catch up work here. NOW I understand what you are all saying. This season is terrible.

This new guy is worst than Bear Grylls for drinking his own slash.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/11/13 05:35 AM

2 hands for the spoon,one for the phone.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/11/13 10:33 PM

Watched the first episode. While the new guy Joe is to be commended on his military accomplishments, someone should slap some sense into him. And then slap Cody for being a dummy too.

Splitting up, not recommended, but under the circumstances understandable. Cody did not leave any sign as to where he went after unilaterally changing the rally point. So not bright. Actually, possibly fatal

Then Joe, after a profanity laced debate on pretty much nothing, drinks his own pee. Let's not forget he contaminated the helmet. Oh yummy, fresh pee Another move that deserves a double slap.

Haven't seen any since. Probably won't. Quit watching pretty much after Dave and the gunpowder.
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/13/13 04:58 AM

just watched the introductory episode and the first scenario with them in the desert. Joe is a bit of a twit and needs to tone it down quite a bit.
Posted by: Virginia_Mark

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/14/13 12:38 AM

Loved the old Duel Survival.
I respect Joes military service to our country
But he acts like a tool, and Cody acts like
a bigger tool.
Why is every other word out of Joe's mouth,
F@&$ ?

The Ending of the second episode was so
Fake, I just rolled my eyes..

New DS... FAIL
Posted by: thseng

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/14/13 05:15 PM

Dunno about the current season, but my first impression of the original season was that both Dave and Cody were caricatures of themselves.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/15/13 06:46 AM

Quote:
I'm willing to bet they're told to act that way. Which is sad that two people who are respected in their individual communities would give in to what the producers tell them to do. But hey...some folks like a paycheck.

+ 1
And this is exactly why I feel the way I feel about DS, and throwing Dave out of the show.

It maybe immaterial and doesn't matter, but my gut feeling is that the reason for throwing Dave out of the show wasn't really what he wrote in his resume. Almost everything in this show is fake, so why the producers were upset about a few faked lines in some actor's resume ?????

OK. The resume thing may upset someone in the military, but I don't beleive it has upset the producers of DS. IMO , there must be another reason for the conflict. And in such projects , as we seen in real life, money, ego, and other factors can trigger conflicts. And in many cases, everyone try to hide real reasons because they maybe embarrasing/immoral/illegal or whatever.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/15/13 12:53 PM

Quote:
I'm willing to bet they're told to act that way. Which is sad that two people who are respected in their individual communities would give in to what the producers tell them to do. But hey...some folks like a paycheck.

+ 1
And this is exactly why I feel the way I feel about DS, and throwing Dave out of the show.

It maybe immaterial and doesn't matter, but my gut feeling is that the reason for throwing Dave out of the show wasn't really what he wrote in his resume. Almost everything in this show is fake, so why the producers were upset about a few faked lines in some actor's resume ?????

Agree 100%,hey,the guys signed up and are trying to make a living,so you do as told.Shame they are made to look the fools.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/19/13 05:09 PM

I have to agree, but I will watch for the entertainment value. Like some of you have said already, I would rather see two wilderness survival experts argue. If another show or scenario were created and urban SHTF survival was the issue, the SERE military training might be more relevant.

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
A word from Dave about DS

Indeed. It's all over the blogosphere. It seems he has become "persona non grata" now.

I don't care for the new guy. He seems a bit too "I've survived WAR! I can survive anything!"

As one blogger questioned "Does military service=survival skills?" Obviously not.

As many of us know these shows (DS, MvW and MWW and DP) are just....entertainment. I think most people who spend time outdoors watch it to laugh.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/21/13 08:53 AM

Quote:
I think most people who spend time outdoors watch it to laugh.

... or cry , really !

In one episode of Doomsday Preppers , a guy plans to use a cellar under his shop ( in city downtown ) to shelter - in. OK, forget about the fact that the cellar has NO supplies or even toilet facilities. The most frightening point I saw is that the ONLY entrance to teh cellar is on the footpath ( not inside the shop) . Need I point that ANY car could be parked on that entrace in a disaster or messy situation , or even something may fall on it from top of the building , and prevent it from opening up. That cellar will definitely become a tomb for him and his kids.

I didn't blame his wife who refused to get in and spend a night there, but he was so confident of his plan and said that once SHTF she would rush to join them !!!!

I didn't laugh, I became very very concerned about the risk of such "preparednes" ! His kids so innocently follwing him made me cry.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/21/13 09:14 PM

[quote]

I didn't laugh, I became very very concerned about the risk of such "preparednes" ! His kids so innocently follwing him made me cry.

Geeze dude, you are either highly passionate about television or you need to lighten up a bit. Lots of idiots out there, no point getting upset over it. Just don't become one of them.
Posted by: Finn

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/22/13 06:17 PM

Great point!

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/22/13 07:37 PM

Stephen, here is the episode . The guy I am talking about is Jason Day from Ohio. His story starts at 29:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC9MSivWSeI

It is not HIM than I am worried about. I am worried about the kids who beleive that "dad knows best" and follow him in his plans which are risky and not well thought out.

I do wish that someone can reach and tell him what is wrong with his plan, before it is too late.
Posted by: PryBry

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/22/13 10:48 PM

After seeing the first couple shows I want Dave back!
At least when Dave and Cody argued like an old married couple they were able to work it out... now it's just a bunch of swearing and cussing behind each others backs and they do what they want... anything but work together. Not the message you want to promote for a survival situation.

I thought Dave and Cody had some chemistry... Joe and Cody not so much.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/23/13 05:12 PM

just for the fun of it ....

Here is the pre-Discovery season of "Dual Survival"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHO8mJwOD1M

Posted by: JBMat

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/23/13 07:55 PM

I think Cody and Joe are pretty much tools of the producers/directors. Half the show is a set up. Yeah, I fear for their lives, with a camera crew right there. Totally phony, totally fake. Cody needs to figure out how to do a show a la' Les Stroud, sans crew. Might as well watch Bear Grylls for crying out loud, at least he doesn't get bleeped half as much and doesn't pretend the crew is not there.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/24/13 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
[quote=JBMat]
I'm quite surprised Cody even went along with a second and then a third season. There was a rumor after season one that he vocally regretted (At I think 'Rabbit Stick' or some other survival meet-up) doing the show. I guess he needs the money.
The simple answer to many questions can be found in 'FOLLOW THE MONEY'

Hey,I bet he is making good bucks,if thats how he wants to more power to him,I wont watch it but who cares?

Hope,truly,he makes a bundle off of the show and more power to him!
Posted by: Russ

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/24/13 04:07 PM

Isn't that the case with many of us, doing stuff we don't like (that pays well) to bankroll stuff we do like (that sometimes doesn't pay at all)... It's wonderful when you get paid to do your favorite thing in life, but that is a rare thing.
Posted by: miner

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/24/13 08:19 PM

I watched an episode last night where they were on a Hawaiian Island. They had found a spear head earlier in the day and when they reached the place where they were to camp for the night, Cody says something along the lines of "I'll make shelter and you find water". To which Joe responds that "the top priority is to get a handle on the spear so they can fight off wild pigs and while he is doing that Cody should multi-task on the shelter and water" Then he makes the statement along the lines that "water is a luxury, a defensive weapon is the #1 priority".

I've always liked Cody and I liked Dave too. But that simple stance killed all of Joe's credibility. I respect his service and think he'd be great to have around if I was down behind enemy lines, but for advice on a survival situation I might find myself in, he has no credibility IMHO.

Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! - 01/25/13 01:43 AM

I have been charged by a feral pig. My more than adequate defensive weapon was a boot - precisely placed on Mr. Pig's snout. I rarely carry defensive weapons when out in the woods - mostly superfluous and unnecessary weight.