Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year?

Posted by: spuds

Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 10/19/12 02:48 PM

We thought we will go simpler this year,its just us and my BIL so this time.....

Think I will lightly smoke a turkey breast and a couple legs maybe an hour,then bake.

Do stove top stuffing,mashed taters,a sweet tater dish,asparagus,cranberries (canned ), gravy and snackie stuff like veggie tray and stuffed mushrooms and jalapenos.Maybe some chips and dip.

BIL brings dessert.

Sounds like a lot but skipping the traditional bird will be a lot simpler.Still sounds good too.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 10/19/12 03:39 PM

biggest "family" get together of the year... usually one bird roasted and one deep fried, but my cousin has been working on a super smoker so who knows... I bring a couple of key lime pies..
Posted by: Denis

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 10/19/12 03:40 PM

That sounds good to me!

Of course, this is a bit late for those of us in the Great White North ... Canadian Thanksgiving was on October 8th smile

Plans were to join up with some friends for a nice multi-family dinner but unfortunately some of my family got struck down with a bit of a flu bug. The kids were complaining for days that they wanted turkey dinner. Maybe we'll have better luck next year!
Posted by: comms

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 10/20/12 04:28 AM

Doing something different this year. its a small affair about 8 people. Each person is getting a personal turkey pot pie on top of the crust will be a thin layer of stuffing and then a dollop of creamy mashed potatoes. Gravy will be drizzled over.

The table of course will hold extra potatoes, stuffing, other fixings. Plus we will do a few extra turkey breasts for adding to that meal and all the extras going towards sandwiches.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 10/20/12 09:26 AM

Well, I have a really large Smokin-It Model #3 smoker plus a Traeger, so I may well smoke a bird this time. In any event it will be brined overnight. Probably be me, my brother & his GF, my mom & my sister. Pretty low key, just some grub and some football.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 10/20/12 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Denis
Of course, this is a bit late for those of us in the Great White North ... Canadian Thanksgiving was on October 8th smile

As a gesture of international goodwill, I am willing to have turkey dinner twice. grin

However, no power on Earth could get me inside a US airport on that weekend. eek
Posted by: widget

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 10/20/12 05:21 PM

I am going to be packing for a 3 day backpakcing trip and will likely eat salmon, rice and vegtables, all from the freezer. I have turkey sandwiches almost daily, so no big deal for me.

Maybe I will make some stovetop stuffing to make a holiday of it smile

I hope everyone has a great holiday and enjoy the big meal, it is a special time.

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 10/20/12 05:58 PM

Wow,GREAT answers,Im impressed with all the super ideas/plans ya'll are making! EVERYTHING sounds SUPER!

Mrs loved the pot pie idea,now I know what next year will be.

Im big on brining too,makes a nice moist bird.Havent smoked a whole bird yet.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 10/23/12 02:17 PM

We (wife, middle daughter and I) will be heading down to my oldest daughter’s home in Wilmington, NC for a traditional turkey dinner, play with granddaughter, Black Friday shopping and football. We have made this a tradition since she and her husband moved there several years ago. My Son-In-Law is currently deployed in Bahrain (USCG), so it will be extra special to try and keep things as normal as possible.

My youngest has to stay at home due to her job and I am not happy she will miss out on the family activates, but hopefully she can spend the day with close family friends.

We also normally attend the Wrightsville Beach Flotilla that weekend and hope we can do so again.

Pete
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 10/24/12 01:04 AM

Trying to get to Cali to be w/ my family - haven't been home in about a year. We do the 'usual' - one side of the family on Thanksgiving morning, the other side on T-giving evening. Chaos, over eating, lots of noise, it's great.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 10/24/12 05:13 AM

i like to cook at least one thing outside on a camp stove.the photo is corn bread made in a Trangia oven over a Optimus 111.in the past i have made cherry pie and biscuits in a Coleman oven heated with a MSR roaring burner AND a Whisperlite in order to get enough heat on a cold Minnesota day.aluminum wraps over the oven really helped!

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 03:28 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!!!

Hope its a fine day with family.
=================================
We are going with apple smoked Turkey Breast,stovetop stuffing,mashed taters and gravy,glazed carrots,canned commercial whole cranberries,home made dinner rolls (Well,mixed in bread machine).

Some snack crackers,chips,dip,smoked cheese we made and salami tray.Cream cheese celery and olives.

Made a pumpkin pie from Mrs's home canned pumpkin,looks really good!
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 03:38 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all... a special thank you to the young men and women serving in the armed forces around the world, and not able to be with their loved ones...

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 05:06 PM

Got my turkey going at 0830 here,Its 49F outside,Its 37F internal turkey temp,smoker temp about 235F or slightly more,thats a cheapo electric smoker/grill from Lowes and the Amazen Brand sawdust smoke generator....
============================

Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 05:14 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I echo Les call out to the military.

MSgt, U. S. Air Force (retired)
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 05:17 PM

My wife, son, and I are keeping it very simple this year. We are having turkey breast, mashed potatoes, canned cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, and some sort of veggies from the freezer.

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Not to hijack the thread, but I echo Les call out to the military.

MSgt, U. S. Air Force (retired)
How could you hijack this thread??

Your well wishes is what its all about. smile
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 05:46 PM

Happy Turkey Day everyone! American of not, it's a good day to count our blessing and be thankful. And given the number of people deep frying their turkeys, it's also a good day to keep your fire extinguishers and FAKs close at hand.

Stay safe!
Posted by: Blast

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 06:34 PM

Just about ready to reheat the smoked turkey and finish my bison/venison sausage stuffing. DD2 made rice crispy bars yesterday. Once the turkey is hot the food, my family and my parents (down from MN) are heading off to have Thanksgiving with a RPI classmate of mine. She and her family ended up employed about five miles from me down here in Texas after losing their jobs up in Connecticut. Good times should be had...assuming I can keep DW and DM apart. They...disagree...on lots of stuff. shocked
-Blast
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 09:25 PM

Cooking for one.

Rehydrating some dried cranberries and blueberries in some sweet cider. That will be heated with some butter and a little brown sugar until it is a sauce.

A little bit of Stoffers. Rice. Carrots. Canned gravy. The smallest turkey loaf I can find- Turkey Spam.

But the real thanksgiving in my family is over the weekend. We moved it rather than interrupt deer season. smile
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 10:18 PM

I'm cooking the turkey, but it will relatively simple. Turkey & stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, three kinds of pie. Everything from scratch except the canned cranberry stuff that no one seems to be able to live without!
Posted by: Russ

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 10:34 PM

oh man ... I feel more stuffed than the bird ... listening to Enya and giving my stomach a rest so I can attack dessert -- pumpkin soufflé (like pumpkin pie without the crust but adding walnuts -- whipped cream to taste) ... Then we start making TV dinners out of the leftovers; don't ask how many meals we get from one turkey.

Meanwhile, Enya is singing Orinoco Flow and the dog needs a walk...
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 10:48 PM

I'm working. Trying to get a project done by tomorrow. No Thanksgiving dinner for me.

Enjoy, you guys!
Posted by: Russ

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/22/12 11:38 PM

Enya stopped a few CD's back and then Joni Mitchel's "Court and Spark" took me back to the '70's before Jesse Cook's Mario Takes a Walk reminded me that it's time for dessert.

BTW the dog (not Mario) really did need a walk -- life goes on.
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/23/12 02:32 PM

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Ours was quiet this year, just the two of us, and I spent most of it catching up on sleep. We hit the farmer's market and bought a whole blackfish from our friendly neighborhood fisherman. Baked it in the oven with a salt crust (come out perfectly), with sauteed brussels sprouts, onion, and Portuguese chaurice sausage as the side dish. We haven't eaten turkey on Thanksgiving for probably 5 years and I really don't miss it.

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/23/12 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
and then Joni Mitchel's "Court and Spark" took me back to the '70's

BTW the dog (not Mario) really did need a walk -- life goes on.
Oh yeah,fine music!

Had a super day,great food,walked up the creek with BIL and dogs and found a pair of binoculars and some BB's in the nook of a tree,will watch online paper to see if reported lost,just cheapy type.

Hope it was a thankful for day for all,we sure count our blessings on this day,we are awfully lucky people arent we?

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/23/12 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Everything from scratch except the canned cranberry stuff that no one seems to be able to live without!
YUP!! grin
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/23/12 03:46 PM

Christina and Blast in the same thread? Good to see you two. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Posted by: Blast

Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? - 11/23/12 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Christina and Blast in the same thread? Good to see you two. Happy Thanksgiving!!

blush
Thanks, bacpacjac! Yeah, I don't post much here anymore though I do still keep an eye on things. ETS is blocked at work but ZS isn't so I've drifted over to there. They need my help more than all y'all. laugh
-Blast