is it worth to buy 100mph tape?

Posted by: picard120

is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/21/12 11:52 PM

is worth to buy 100Mph tape compare to regular duct tape?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/22/12 01:09 AM

For what purpose? Regular old duct tape does just fine for me...."100mph tape" sounds like marketing hyperbole to me....
Posted by: Bingley

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/22/12 01:18 AM

A quick internet check suggests that 100 mph tape and duct tape are the same thing.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/22/12 02:50 AM

Quote:
is worth to buy 100Mph tape compare to regular duct tape?

Are you a high speed low drag operator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0meJl0las0

If not then a roll of 3M Performance Plus Nuclear Duct Tape should suffice. shocked

Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/22/12 03:04 AM

Gorilla Tape works great for me.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/22/12 12:27 PM

There are better tapes out there, and some are made to withstand higher temperatures than others. Gorilla tape is good, much better than military green 100mph tape.
Posted by: picard120

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/22/12 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
There are better tapes out there, and some are made to withstand higher temperatures than others. Gorilla tape is good, much better than military green 100mph tape.

are you sure gorilla tape is better ?
Posted by: boatman

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/22/12 10:02 PM

Military 100MPH tape sucks big time!!!It leaves behind gooey residue and doesn't hold for crap if it gets cold or wet.So the answer is,Yes GORILLA brand tape is much better than 100 MPH tape any day.....JMHO

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: 7point82

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/23/12 12:08 PM

Me three, I use regular duct tape for some things but Gorilla has better adhesion and a much more durable backing in my personal experience anyway. I don't have any studies to cite.

I'm the sort of person that would rather use a less expensive product when I can but when it looks like a tough job the Gorilla tape comes out. I'm much more impressed with their tape then their glue.

No affiliation; just a satisfied customer.

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/23/12 12:27 PM

In agreement with these other answers, yes I am sure it is better. Stick longer, endures extremes of weather better. Military green duct tape is just basic duct tape in a different color, as far as I know. There are different grades of duct tape, but I have never seen different grades of 100mph tape, just different sizes (widths). Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of 100mph tape and have used it to fix many, many things.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/23/12 06:52 PM

Buying silver colored "duct tape" has been a very frustrating experience for me. I'm sure there's good stuff out there, but I've found only crappy "duct" tape equivalents where I live.

With gorilla tape I get the performance I want. It's really good stuff and I don't waste any more time buying and trying every "duct" tape available.

I do, however, buy and use the cheap crappy duct for light duty tasks. But you'll never find anything other than duct tape wrapped around my water bottle, my PSK, my skiing poles and other objects where I find it handy to have a few feet tucked away.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/23/12 08:50 PM

The 100 mph duct tape, military grade, used to be called 90mph tape. That was if you fixed a helicopter rotor blade with it you really didn't want to go over 90mph. Yes, they used the tape to fix bullet holes in rotor blades on the old Hueys, which btw had a top speed of around 90 mph. Or so I was told by a MW5 who could fly most anything.

No, I was not an aviation type, just spent too many years supporting aviation units. I also know what whale sperm is, how many pounds of rotor wash a 5 gallon bucket will hold, and where to get 5 feet of flight line.

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/24/12 02:39 PM

They use aluminum tape now for aviation, very expensive but great hold and weather resistance.
Posted by: drahthaar

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/24/12 11:28 PM

Try this: http://www.amazon.com/3M-8979N-Performan...ds=nuclear+tape

I find it to be better than gorilla tape. Stickiness is comparable, but it's thinner and more pliable (not weaker) so it's easier to get it to stick to irregular surfaces. It also does remove without any residue after being applied for a a week or so. Some say it will remove w/o residue after months, but I haven't tested it.

Only downside I've found is the silly name.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/25/12 11:31 AM

I have had very good luck with some of 3Ms top of the line duct tapes and plan to keep buying and using them. I'll have to go pull them out of the tool box later and see which particular 3M varieties I have. IIRC the 3M tape I have was the heaviest couple of varieties that were stocked at my local Lowe's store.

3M and Gorilla are all I will buy. If I need it, I need it to work. I don't have the time or energy to try the stuff that might work.
Posted by: Nomad

Re: is it worth to buy 100mph tape? - 08/26/12 03:26 AM

I have several grades of duct tape. Like most things, depends on what you need to do with it.

I also have several types of aluminum duct tape. From something like sticky Reynolds wrap to almost "plate" thickness. I live in an aluminum world (RV's) and use lots of tape.

The problem is finding out what you are buying. Most come in plastic wrap and it is hard to tell thickness, adhesion qualities and flexibility.

So far best adhesion is some thick black tape I don't know where I got. Wonderful stuff but it does not stand up to desert sun for more than a year. I have some aluminum tape on my camper that has been there for about 5 years now. Still like new. Good adhesion and has not degraded.

Nomad