how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites?

Posted by: picard120

how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/20/12 08:01 PM

how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites?

is it infectious ?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/20/12 10:21 PM

Solution #2 - move to Arizona. We've got caves out here, too.

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/21/12 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Solution #2 - move to Arizona. We've got caves out here, too.

sorry. I am claustrophobic.

I can't live in caves.

Is there another solution?

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/21/12 01:57 AM

should I buy a surgical kit ?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/21/12 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: picard120

For what? Are you a surgeon?

You need to give us a lot more context with regard to what you're doing, where you're doing it, and what kind of training you have. Not just with this question, but with many of the questions you're asking.

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/21/12 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

For what? Are you a surgeon?

You need to give us a lot more context with regard to what you're doing, where you're doing it, and what kind of training you have. Not just with this question, but with many of the questions you're asking.

I am just a bit worried about getting bitten by horse flies. I don't want a huge puss on my skin.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/21/12 04:51 AM

Okay, a few notes and a reality check (from my part of the world anyway):

If a horsefly or deerfly bites you, it will hurt. Their mandibles are rather like those giant tree-mover trucks -- they just reach in and carve out a hunk of meat.

Avoiding bites is the cure. Their primary prey is large animals (like horses, and deer) who can't protect every square inch of their bodies. This also includes large dogs: when I had Great Danes, they would come roaring up to me for help, because the little buggers would bite them right in the depression where the backbone and tail meet -- the one place dogs cannot reach.

These pests are slow and noisy; you can hardly miss the fact that they are hovering around you. Cover up and apply DEET. Also note that they take a lot of killing; if you knock one to the ground, finish it with full vigour, or it will be back.

Note: if you are backpacking, avoid heavily-travelled horse trails. The pests inhabit the same terrain, for obvious reasons.

I have never heard of a person (in my part of the world) contracting a disease from these. But no doubt this varies with geography, so know your (local) onions.

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/21/12 12:42 PM

I am just a bit worried about getting bitten by horse flies. I don't want a huge puss on my skin.

With medical supplies in general, and surgical supplies in particular, the rule of thumb is that if you're not trained to use it you probably shouldn't buy it. IzzyJG99's advice above is very sound.

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/21/12 08:58 PM

should I apply Iodine to the bite wound to disinfect it ?
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/21/12 10:07 PM

Is it inappropriate to be soliciting or dispensing medical advice on this forum?

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/21/12 10:20 PM

People dispense medical advice on Internet fora all the time, and we have no rule against it.

chaosmagnet
Posted by: hikermor

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/21/12 10:26 PM

Do what you wish and follow your first aid training, but I believe iodine is no longer recommended for wound disinfection. Are you referring to tincture of iodine (no!)or povidone-iodine?
Posted by: powerring

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/21/12 10:42 PM

I don't know about treatment but I will say I had a horsefly bite one time that was worse than any sting I've ever had save a hornet's. Those little monsters can hurt!

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/22/12 12:27 AM

I am just wondering what does an average person would do when he/she finds out about horse fly bite. I saw huge puss on youtube that resulted from horse fly bite.

it scares me to see the gigantic puss.
Posted by: Blast

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/22/12 01:40 AM

it scares me to see the gigantic puss.

confused confused confused
-Blast
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/22/12 02:36 AM

What about Dermatovia Hominis (human botfly), once you've medically extracted that larvae from under your scalp or skin you'll have a big hunk of tasty fish bait. sick

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P3yPWqKTjo
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: how do you treat deerf ly & horse fly bites? - 08/22/12 03:53 AM

YMMV, but I would treat it like any other open wound. Lots of soap and water, flush it out thoroughly, sterilize if you think it necessary, bandage, and monitor for signs of infection. If you suspect a problem, see a physician asap.