Safety goggles in car kit

Posted by: Mark_R

Safety goggles in car kit - 07/21/12 01:12 AM

I didn't want to hijack the "Bear Spray,out of date warning" thread. But, regarding old aerosols filled with nasty stuff; You should add a pair of safety goggles to your car kit. The ones with splash shields.

http://www.amazon.com/MSA-Safety-Works-1...1&keywords=

I had the occasion to use a can of Fix-A-Flat that had been sitting in my trunk for some time. I did not know that the ring holding the tube to the top of the can had deteriorated. Guess who got doused when it ruptured spraying foam upward? My perscription glasses caught a fair amount of it. Given what the fumes were doing to me, I don't want to think about getting it directly in my eyes. BTW, the stuff stinks like diesel fuel, and the smell takes a long time to wear off.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Safety goggles in car kit - 07/21/12 03:49 AM

Mark_R: Excellent idea for the goggles. Those type of very affordable. It is pretty inexpensive insurance for very expensive eyes.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Safety goggles in car kit - 07/22/12 07:01 PM

+1 on the eye protection. I carry a pair as part of my construction PPE in my vehicle. A pair of wrap around sunglasses is a basic better than nothing substitute. You can get ones that can fit over your prescription glasses.

Used when opening a hot radiator cap, working under the vehicle, or even something basic like changing the tire to avoid getting foreign matter in the eyes.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Safety goggles in car kit - 07/23/12 12:22 AM

I don't use those, but the US Army kindly supplied me with several pairs of APEL (Approved Protective Eyewear List) goggles while deployed. They sit in my car and my wife's car, on the lawn mower, at work for my splash goggles, and in my shooting supplies (I have quite a few!). Also, most Oakley sunglasses are certified as safety lenses. So, I technically am protecting my eyes nearly every day!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Safety goggles in car kit - 07/23/12 03:54 AM

Very cheap and effective eye protection. I am sharpening a lot of tools right now, and I don goggles every time I use the grinder.