Trade School Tool Kit

Posted by: MoBOB

Trade School Tool Kit - 07/19/12 03:02 PM

My nephew is going away to trade school this fall for power sports training - motorcycle, jet ski, etc. mechanic. So, I decided to make him an "Oh My Gosh, I Forgot My Tool Kit" Tool Kit. There are a couple of things still to be put in it. This is something I hope he carries with him all the time. For those of you who will wonder, the multi-tester is built on a CR2032 battery holder. It tests continuity and voltage presence for 6V and 12V batteries.

Re: Trade School Tool Kit - 07/19/12 09:32 PM

Thanks Izzy. The adjustable wrench came from Lowes. They had a whole raft of 6" adjustables on clearance for 50 cents (normally $2). They also had 4-inch Vise Grip-style pliers at the same price. I bought four of the pliers and two of the wrenches. I may go back and see if there are any left of either.

Standard disclaimer.

My $.02
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Trade School Tool Kit - 07/20/12 12:08 AM

Well done, sir.
There might be room for a small sheet of emery cloth or sand paper, an inch of hacksaw blade, and a ceramic sharpening rod for metal shaping and rust removal.

Re: Trade School Tool Kit - 07/20/12 02:26 AM

nursemike: Thank you for the suggestions. The tin is filled right to the top. I only have about 2mm left. I will try to put a 2.5 to 3 inch hacksaw blade in there.

Re: Trade School Tool Kit - 07/20/12 06:34 AM

Izzy: The ChannelLock Model 424 is difficult to get retail. I have not found a store locally that carries it. The 4-inch locking pliers can be found at many hardware stores or auto parts stores for about two bucks. I have a 4-inch adjustable from Craftsman. I am not sure it is all that usable. The 2 dollar 6-inch adjustable from Lowes or elsewhere cut and ground down would, IMHO, be a better choice. Don't forget a number 1 and 2 Philips and a couple of blade screwdrivers. It would all be very compact.

Standard disclaimer.

My $.02

Re: Trade School Tool Kit - 07/20/12 06:37 AM

To clarify: The adjustable wrench in the kit was a 6-inch adjustable. I cut it down and ground it down so that it would fit in the tin. The 3/4 - inch jaw width is an improvement over the 1/2-inch (barely) from a 4-inch adjustable. The extra weight is worth it in my mind.