mosquito head net

Posted by: GradyT34

mosquito head net - 07/18/12 03:08 AM

I work outside a good bit of the time in areas where we're frequently overwhelmed by mosquitos, partcularly early in the morning and in the late evenings. Has anyone tested PetersHeadNets? http://www.petersheadnets.com/faq_page_1.html

Any comments as to these mosquito head nets or any other similar mosquito head nets would be appreciated.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: mosquito head net - 07/28/12 11:58 PM

Similar hats are pretty much standard equipment in heavily mosquito-infested areas. I don't know anything about this vendor, but it isn't rocket science we're talking about: Buy one. You'll be amazed.

The only thing to look out for: How do you make sure that the lower end stays "closed", in particular when you bend forward? The net might fall away from your body, creating a very nice tunnel for the mosquitos to fly through... You prevent that from happening by combination of a piece of elastic at the lower end of the net plus whatever clothes you have on you. You can put the net under your outer jacket to make sure it stays.
Posted by: Alex

Re: mosquito head net - 07/29/12 01:27 AM

How hard is your work? Mosquito nets are usually quite dense and may interfere with normal perspiration, breathing, and clear vision. The solution is to opt for a custom made head net with larger cells and to use a repellent over it. That works better for some applications.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: mosquito head net - 07/29/12 02:47 AM

I went through the FAQ pages, and his statements seem credible. He does seem to have put a lot of thought into the design.

He says his mesh is fine enough to be effective against most biters, yet thin enough that it doesn't restrict vision too much. This would be the Holy Grail of headnets.

I have some of the ultra-fine mesh headnets (good for the really small guys like noseeums) and while they work, they restrict your vision way too much for a lot of tasks. And most cheapo ones are too short -- worn over a hat, they leave your neck exposed.

If this guy's product is, as claimed, good enough for Yukon, the Northern Barrens, and Alaska, that's impressive. I'd love to try one out.
Posted by: Treeseeker

Re: mosquito head net - 07/29/12 07:26 PM

I bought a head net by Coleman which I have never used. After reading the petersheadnets site, I went and looked at my Coleman one. Just the box cover picture shows the wearer's neck clearly exposed because the net is too short. This one is obviously useless unless you are wearing a turtleneck shirt.

Coleman Mosquito Head Net

I think I will be getting one of Peter's.

Re: mosquito head net - 07/29/12 11:06 PM

Last week I received large and medium mosquito head nets from PetersHeadNets and have had a chance to use both sizes on a dense thicket project with different sized hats.

Due to the elastic pull cord, I did not have a single problem with mosquitos getting in under the base. (The instructions recommend tucking the elastic base strap under the shirt collar.)

This brand of mosquito headnet is much better than all the others I've used over the years, in that the material allows for much better air flow and I can actually see out - through the material. This particular brand is, in my view, a significat improvement in every aspect of design and incorprates much more advanced material. The sewing is top notch.

If there is a "Holy Grail of headnets", IMHO this is it.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: mosquito head net - 07/31/12 02:54 AM

Thought Peter's headnets were simply made of Tulle.

Re: mosquito head net - 07/31/12 01:10 PM

Well, maybe not the Holy Grail, but certainly bigger than life.

Re: mosquito head net - 10/29/12 07:30 PM

Just ordered a large headnet from petersheadnets.com for my Australia wilderness trip. Peter is just back from a long "vacation" and taking orders again. It's a real pleasure dealing with him, as his emails are very informative and quite entertaining to read.
Posted by: Meadowlark

Re: mosquito head net - 10/30/12 05:50 PM

Thanks for the link!

I'm gonna be needing a head net for a New Zealand trip in a few months, as I've heard the sand flies in some South Island wilderness areas are merciless....
Posted by: Pete

Re: mosquito head net - 10/30/12 07:51 PM

I could see the need for a headnet in places where mossies are really bad. For me, mostly what I do is wear a soft hat and rub some Jungle Juice (100% DEET) under the brim of the hat, and also on the back rim of the hat near the neck. That works really well, and you don't have to get the DEET on your skin. You can also rub some Jungle Juice on the cuffs of your shirt and the collar of your shirt. DEET still works well in places where I go.

Pete2

Re: mosquito head net - 10/31/12 10:09 PM

My headnet is here (amazingly fast delivery). It's really an ultimate product! Very neat stitching, two regulated draw cords. Logo strip on the back adds a professional touch.