should all new clothes be wash before user wears i

Posted by: picard120

should all new clothes be wash before user wears i - 07/14/12 05:35 PM

should all new clothes be wash before user wears it ?
This includes all tactical pants, shirts etc.

this sounds like a dumb question. pardon me. blush
Posted by: Finn

Re: should all new clothes be wash before user wears i - 07/14/12 05:50 PM

I don't know about "should" be washed, but I generally wash new clothing to clean out the sizing chemicals and to soften them (and get rid of packaging creases). However, I don't wash new socks, because I LOVE that feeling.

If the clothing is used, then my vote is "Yes."
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: should all new clothes be wash before user wears i - 07/14/12 05:58 PM

For pants, I have to in order to get the initial shrinkage out of the way before hemming.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: should all new clothes be wash before user wears i - 07/14/12 06:55 PM

I always wash new underwear and workout gear. Other stuff, it's a judgment call.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: should all new clothes be wash before user wears i - 07/14/12 08:38 PM

I wouldn't bother with washing. before wearing unless instructions with the clothing specifically called for the practice
Posted by: picard120

Re: should all new clothes be wash before user wears i - 07/14/12 08:41 PM

I bought the new tactica 5.11 pants. It is made in Vietnam instead of China
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: should all new clothes be wash before user wears i - 07/14/12 09:17 PM

As a rule, it's best that new clothes are washed if they will have a lot of skin contact. Some of the dye residues and other chemicals are probably not all that good for you if absorbed, or may cause nasty skin irritation. And keep in mind that offshore manufacturing is a wild west in terms of chemical safety.

The exception to the rule: guys mostly don't bother to wash stuff. Whether this is good or bad is up to you.
Posted by: adam2

Re: should all new clothes be wash before user wears i - 07/17/12 09:24 AM

I normally wash new clothing before use in case it contains harmfull chemicals, or has been packed or handled by someone suffering from infectious disease.
And I wonder if "new" clothing has in fact been tried on, and perhaps found to be the wrong size and returned ?

The risks are small, and I would not worry in an emergency, but whilst times are normal it seems a good idea.

Virtually all clothing sold in the UK is marked "wash before wear"
Posted by: nursemike

Re: should all new clothes be wash before user wears i - 07/17/12 12:59 PM

I generally bathe before donning new clothing, figuring that it is probably cleaner than I am. YMMV.