Insect Repellent

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Insect Repellent - 06/11/12 05:11 PM

Yes, I actually spend some time outdoors. The problem I run into is insect repellent. It’s better than getting eaten alive but I have this sticky film on me. Is there an insect repellent that is not so sticky?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Alex

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/11/12 06:15 PM

The repellent to use depends on the type of activity you are doing outdoors and the season. When hiking through the woods in fall season, for example, I would prefer an insect net over my face.

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/11/12 06:34 PM

The type of activity may vary. What is constant is that in Texas mosquitoes are at their worst in the summer.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/11/12 09:47 PM

Great question, Jeanette.

I've never found a bug juice or sunscreen for that matter, that doesn't have that sticky residue feeling. Sprays, pumps, wipes, goop... I've had the same luck with each one I've tried. I'd love to hear about one though. I'm not a big fan of that feeling and my young Scouts even less so.

As an alternative to sprays or a bug jacket, I try to wear long sleeves and pants when I'm in bug territory. A good head net is my friend when I'm in the thick of it.

Those mosquito coils and lantern things seem to work ok for a limited area. We tried those wrist band things a couple of years ago without much success. I've heard good things about those Thermacell electronic repellent thingies but haven't tried them yet. http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/11/12 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

I've never found a bug juice or sunscreen for that matter, that doesn't have that sticky residue feeling. Sprays, pumps, wipes, goop... I've had the same luck with each one I've tried. I'd love to hear about one though. I'm not a big fan of that feeling and my young Scouts even less so.

I only use the OFF Skintastic spray in the pump bottle. It works well for me and my SO.

As for the sticky residue feeling. Those Baby Wipes that everyone should carry in their backpack or PSK also serve to first wipe your face, exposed neck, arms, legs etc to help clean off any body oil, dust etc which causes the stickiness of the bug spray.

After you have done the Baby Wipe routine and dried, now apply the apply the bug spray and you will find that the sticky feeling is greatly reduced.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/11/12 10:26 PM

Lately the only repellent I'll use is Cutters Advanced, which is Picaridin based.

I HATE DEET since it dissolves plastics and feels terrible.

I find Cutters Advanced to be fairly effective, but it needs to be applied more often than others I've used. I definitely prefer how it feels and like that its safe for my gear.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/11/12 11:48 PM

You should try Permitherin.It is an clothing treatment and therefore no film on you.Sawyer is one brand and can be found in most outdoor sections of major chain stores(Wally-mart,K-mart,Meijer,etc.).I have seen skeeters and ticks jump off as fast as they can.Clothes treated will work for three week or six washings.....

BOATMAN
John
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/12/12 12:50 AM

I saw some at costco that claims to be not sticky, going back to pick one up tomorrow.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/12/12 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

I only use the OFF Skintastic spray in the pump bottle. It works well for me and my SO.

As for the sticky residue feeling. Those Baby Wipes that everyone should carry in their backpack or PSK also serve to first wipe your face, exposed neck, arms, legs etc to help clean off any body oil, dust etc which causes the stickiness of the bug spray.

After you have done the Baby Wipe routine and dried, now apply the apply the bug spray and you will find that the sticky feeling is greatly reduced.

Thanks, Teslinhiker!
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/12/12 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I stay away from repellents. I had a very expensive watch MELT off my wrist after I put on a 10% DEET "Off" some years ago. Any manmade materials, which a lot of us use, are quite sensitive to DEET.

More then one person on various forums has claimed this but I have yet to see any photos posted to bolster the claim.

I have a couple of old watches with one that has a broken plastic band and the other, the face is scratched up enough that it is no longer readable. Time for some testing...
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/12/12 02:59 AM

I like my ThermaCell. No chemicals applied on your body. It is kind of expensive to operate, compared to sprays, etc. but works great. No affiliation, just satisfied customer...

http://www.thermacell.com/

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/12/12 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

Applying insect repellent, after taking a shower, sounds like a good idea. I checked the product you recommenced. It contains DEET, though a small amount, and it only last two hours.

I considered NATRAPEL though I have not tried it yet. It lasts eight hours, comes in wipes and a pump spray. Does anyone know if wipes work better?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: comms

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/12/12 10:25 PM

Deet, deet and deet. 30% is good.
Posted by: Quietly_Learning

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/13/12 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
I saw some at costco that claims to be not sticky, going back to pick one up tomorrow.

I picked up the Off Deep Woods Dry, 25% DEET, sold at Costco and it worked well. I have been in bug filled areas and I didn't get attacked.
I didn't notice a sticky feeling although to be honest I don't feel sticky using the regular version of Deep Woods.
It is sold as a 4pk and is a good price when compared to buying it separately.

Standard disclaimer, no affiliation except an addiction to the berry smoothies
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/15/12 05:31 PM

Just picked up a pack as well. They have a family pack that's all dry, and deep woods with three traditional and one dry. Great deal especially when it's on sale, and DEET is stable enough that I don't have to worry about it expire.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Insect Repellent - 06/15/12 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Quietly_Learning
Originally Posted By: jzmtl

I picked up the Off Deep Woods Dry, 25% DEET, sold at Costco and it worked well. I have been in bug filled areas and I didn't get attacked.
I didn't notice a sticky feeling although to be honest I don't feel sticky using the regular version of Deep Woods.
It is sold as a 4pk and is a good price when compared to buying it separately.

Standard disclaimer, no affiliation except an addiction to the berry smoothies

But it (DEET) will absorb through your skin and it will dissolve your tent, compass, synthetic clothing, car paint, ... It is nasty stuff, so be careful.