Looking for a short utility knife

Posted by: Chisel

Looking for a short utility knife - 03/27/12 10:09 AM

I have asked someone to modify a utility knife from hawksbill to a spearhead. The result is a blade that is 2 inch in length and 1 inch width. Handle is ~4 inch wood. I love it so much and use it around home and office.

It is not very thick , maybe 2 mm, but is sturdy enough. I was wondering though if there was a commercially available knife in this category. Where handle is the "average" or "normal" size handle, and blade is short and stubby. I am using it for prying, breaking , dismantling ..etc. Latest project is "demolishing" old floppy diskettes before throwing away.

I've seen a short Mora ( for whittling ..etc.) that fits the description of handle and blade length, but I don't think it is wide or thick enough for my needs. I wouldn't use that mora for stabbing metal or heavy prying.

So, in short, it should be 2-inch blade, but rough and tough enough to take lots of punishment. Oh, and price should be reasonable.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/27/12 10:35 AM

how about an 'Elephant Toe(nail)' knife?

The one I pictured is a custom model, but you can get a pretty good Hammer Brand knife on eBay for $22 with free shipping.

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/27/12 10:50 AM

WOW !!! Thanks

Looks just like what I want, but is it available in fixed blade form ??

BTW, what is this knife used for ?? I mean if they manufacture stubby knives , there must be a demand for some specific type of job. Or do they just make them for nerds like me ?? LOL

Edit to add:

After some Googling, I found this Elephant Toe has a 3-inch blade ( I prefer 2 inch) and the price is $150 !! Too steep for me and for the intended use.

Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/27/12 12:07 PM

I think JK Handmade Knives could hook you up with what you want for a bit less- in a fixed blade.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/27/12 01:11 PM

ESEE Izula?

Newt Livesay Woo?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/27/12 01:22 PM

As a maker of knives, and a total knife freak, I have never seen the appeal of a short blade on a long handle. Just my personal and professional opinion on the subject. But they are gaining popularity. I saw an article on them in a magazine several months back as I waited at a store.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/27/12 02:07 PM

Benchmade's 210/211 Activator kinda comes to mind. It's quite a short and stubby fixed blade, but the handle is still reasonably sized for most people's hands. Here's a picture I found of someone holding one:

and another of just the knife:

I've got a Benchmade 201 that I love. It's basically a 211, but with a longer 3.5" blade rather than the 211's ~2" blade. I use it for bushcraft a lot and it hasn't disappointing me yet. I even sent it out to have a custom kydex sheath made, allowing me to carry it both inside and outside the waistband.
Posted by: thseng

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/27/12 04:39 PM

The Mora Craftline Electrician has a stubby sheepsfoot blade with a full size handle:
http://www.frosts.se/products/construction
2mm thick, 44mm long (~1-3/4") probably about 7/8" wide.

There is also the Chisle which is 2.5mm thick, 78mm/3" long and looks to be wider. You could grind the tip down to your preferred shape...
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/27/12 07:58 PM

Second vote for an electricians knife. It sounds like you are looking for a cable splicing knife. While somewhat out of your price range, a second option would be the Graham Pocket Razel.

EDIT: The Boker Cop Tool is a budget version of a Razel.

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
As a maker of knives, and a total knife freak, I have never seen the appeal of a short blade on a long handle. Just my personal and professional opinion on the subject. But they are gaining popularity. I saw an article on them in a magazine several months back as I waited at a store.

I've found that long handle/short blades are easier to work with when you really have to use a lot or force and/or precision. Also, if you're as injury-prone as I am, it cuts down on the amount of blood you lose.

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/29/12 11:17 AM

Thanks

The electrician knife is a great choice, also the cable slicing knife

The Razel has been in my mind for a long time, but price is an issue.

The rescue knife looks Ok except for the serrated edge. I don't like serrations and may open a thread asking everyone if or when do they use the serrated edge.

I do have some serrated blades but as a part of multitool , not as a standalone, and definitley not as a partial serrated blade.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/29/12 03:44 PM

Here is the blade my son used to make me a knife. He put some exotic tulipwood handles on it. It is a nice size and sturdy.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2020448/22313/skinner-knife-kit.aspx

If you would like, I can post a pic.

Standard Disclaimer

My $.02
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/29/12 04:16 PM

Take a look at the Lee Valley (www.leevalley.com) hacking knife. I have not used one, but am a very satisfied customer. This knife is designed for those things you shouldn't do with a knife. They also make a very nice Batonning Chisel that I have. The handle is not as long, but it is great for uses where you don't want to use your good chisel or knife.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/29/12 05:06 PM

Thanks Mark. I Hear you on the blood loss lol. For fine cutting, using small blades with long handles I would prefer carving tools I think. Just my opinion.

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/29/12 05:14 PM

WOW Jerry
Nearly undestructible knife

Thanks

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/29/12 05:16 PM

Thanks MoBOB

Beautiful little knife
Posted by: Denis

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/29/12 05:34 PM

It looks like Helle has a few knives that might fit what you're looking for. The ones I noticed were ...

The Nying:

And the Fire:

It looks like these run for about $75-90 and $100-130 respectively, depending on where you look.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/31/12 06:01 AM

i have a Nying and it's one of the best knives i've used.not only sharp of course but it holds an edge.that big grip means total control even when it's wet and don't let the short blade fool you into into thinking there is not enough steel for the job.i have gutted out several deer and lent it out to a buddy who was hunting on my land and his well known knife gave out part way thru the job.that little knob on the end of the grip is for a strap on the sheath to fit over so there is little or no chance of loss.the Nying is a old style knife made by people who needed a working knife where form followed function.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Looking for a short utility knife - 03/31/12 07:04 AM

I have a Helle Eggen...sweet little knife.