Urban Carry Recommendation

Posted by: bacpacjac

Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 06:50 PM

Hey gang! The weather has been so nice lately that I've started to think about my urban/suburban summer day hike set-up. I'm not switching over yet though. Going to stick to the tried and true theory that winter isn't over in these parts until we get through April, and even then we may get snow in May.

This will not be a wilderness kit. My priorities for this kind of trip will be to carry my cel phone, wallet, keys, glasses, leatherman, FAK, water bottle, bug spray, sun screen, snacks, and also leaving a little room the the treasures my 8 year old finds along the way.

Last year, I made the bold move of leaving my off-roading backpack behind and taking a fanny pack when I stayed on the pavement, but I didn't really like it because it was uncomfortable on my hips when I put a water bottle in it. (It was an Obusforme something or other fanny pack.) The same can be said of my EDC purse. It works great as is but I can't stand the floppyness of it when I'm doing something active like bike riding, rollerblading, etc. especially when I clip a water bottle on it. I'd like to try something in between this year. The Maxpediation Jumbo Versapack looks like it might fit the bill but I'm looking for other suggestions.

What say you?
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 07:17 PM

possibly a vest?...a bird hunting vest will typically have a rear flap pocket for the water bottle... an open mesh shotgun vest's pockets are designed to carry a box of shotshells, but generally no rear flap pocket..
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 07:31 PM

It sounds like you need a plain old rucksack with a sternum strap or a messenger bag with a stabilizer strap. My only caveat while on pavement is to avoid anything with to many outside compartments that can be accessed by someone else without your knowledge. I usually gravitate toward a tote, satchel, or ruck for carrying stuff on pavement, but I'm also just walking. I like the convenience of a messenger/sling bag, but I can't tolerate any pressure against the side of my neck.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
possibly a vest?...a bird hunting vest will typically have a rear flap pocket for the water bottle... an open mesh shotgun vest's pockets are designed to carry a box of shotshells, but generally no rear flap pocket..

Thanks Les. That might work well. I understand that they can be found with lots of mesh to let the air flow and stay cool.

Adding that to my "Check It Out List". Thanks!

EDIT: I'm a little hesitant about a vest because of the "image" my son would possibly have to live with if his friends saw him with GI Mom. The nice thing about my EDC purse is that it's a woman's purse so has some built-in camouflage.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 07:38 PM

Items I would suggest is a whistle, lip balm, a flashlight and a handkerchief or travel size Kleenex.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 07:42 PM

Thanks so much Jeanette. Good calls. Kids and Kleenex should be like PB & J. wink My keychain includes a whistle and light but it's a good idea to move my bandana and lip balm to this kit as well. Thanks for the reminder!!

(And it's good to see you again. Either I haven't been paying close enough attention or you haven't posted for a while.)
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
(And it's good to see you again. Either I haven't been paying close enough attention or you haven't posted for a while.)

I haven't posted in a while.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: bws48

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 09:35 PM

Kids and Kleenex should be like PB & J. wink

I think a Mom (with her kids) are the ultimate prepper. I was never so impressed than when I went for a day in the park with my niece and her 2+ year old daughter. My niece brought along a backpack straining the zippers when we started the day. "Overkill" I thought. During our day I found out the the back pack had anything needed and my niece could and did pull it out in seconds, no searching required.

Despite numerous events I would never have thought of, she was prepared for everything and took it in stride. Not overkill, just normal. . .

Kudos to Moms and making it seem easy to keep a 2 year old happy and going in a full day at the park.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 09:44 PM

My favorite pack for around the city is:

REI Flash 18 Pack $34 - super light rucksack, fun colors (but also stealthy black), I carry a 32 oz water bottle inside mine

http://www.rei.com/product/827110/rei-flash-18-pack

They recently had the older model on sale for $20 but these new ones are still a deal at $34. I abuse mine and they hold up great.

-

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Dagny

REI Flash 18 Pack $34 - super light rucksack, fun colors (but also stealthy black), I carry a 32 oz water bottle inside mine

They recently had the older model on sale for $20 but these new ones are still a deal at $34. I abuse mine and they hold up great.

-

Dagny, you just sparked an idea! I've got a small camelback knock-off that might work well. (It's the same colour as the REI pack in the link.) I'm found of backpacks, even though I'm always tempted to overpack!

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

I haven't posted in a while.

Jeanette Isabelle

Welcome back!!

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Here's an amusing product.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/c616/

I would honestly get one if it didn't make me look like a lunatic. Well, more of a lunatic.

And this board is sadly missing it's resident Female Preppers as of late, it seems.

LOL!! I appreciate you lunatical tendancies, Izzy!

It has been a little quiet in here lately, especially from the XX crew. Hopefully it's just the unseasonable weather that seems to have swept over the land for a bunch of us.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: bws48
Kids and Kleenex should be like PB & J. wink

I think a Mom (with her kids) are the ultimate prepper. I was never so impressed than when I went for a day in the park with my niece and her 2+ year old daughter. My niece brought along a backpack straining the zippers when we started the day. "Overkill" I thought. During our day I found out the the back pack had anything needed and my niece could and did pull it out in seconds, no searching required.

Despite numerous events I would never have thought of, she was prepared for everything and took it in stride. Not overkill, just normal. . .

Kudos to Moms and making it seem easy to keep a 2 year old happy and going in a full day at the park.

It's amazing sometimes, isn't it, especially moms of little ones. I almost never carried a purse before I became a mom. Then my whole world turned inside out and upside down.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 10:54 PM

-

Dagny, you just sparked an idea! I've got a small camelback knock-off that might work well. (It's the same colour as the REI pack in the link.) I'm found of backpacks, even though I'm always tempted to overpack!

My other city pack is a Camelbak H.A.W.G. -- good choice. In summer, if I'm going to be ducking into a cafe or other air conditioned places, it is nice to have a light jacket so have to have some space (I carry a super light Marmot water resistant windbreaker with hood).

You may not be as vulnerable to afternoon thunderstorms as we are - here the weather can turn very quickly on a sultry summer day.

I also carry a little AM-FM radio in the city.

-
Posted by: Finn

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/22/12 11:13 PM

My fanny pack has seen me through two NYC trips (including the Greyhound ride up)and countless trail walks. It has a mesh backing and a VERY roomy main compartment with two integral Nalgene water bottles. Its an Outdoor Products from WalMart. Even has reflective trim!

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/10928121...ews/reviews.htm

Good luck choosing!
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 12:48 AM

For summer prairie hikes I purchased a grey Kelty Oriole waistpack. It cinches up tight, and carries a surprising payload very comfortably. It has a shoulder strap carry option too. My wife saw mine, and when I realized that she was about to invoke the community property laws, I got her a blue one, and we hiked happily ever after.... about $23 bucks online.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 01:25 AM

My other city pack is a Camelbak H.A.W.G. -- good choice. In summer, if I'm going to be ducking into a cafe or other air conditioned places, it is nice to have a light jacket so have to have some space (I carry a super light Marmot water resistant windbreaker with hood).

You may not be as vulnerable to afternoon thunderstorms as we are - here the weather can turn very quickly on a sultry summer day.

I also carry a little AM-FM radio in the city.

-

I like the way you think, Dagny. Jacket, radio... let the crammin stuff in begin! LOL!

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Finn
My fanny pack has seen me through two NYC trips (including the Greyhound ride up)and countless trail walks. It has a mesh backing and a VERY roomy main compartment with two integral Nalgene water bottles. Its an Outdoor Products from WalMart. Even has reflective trim!

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/10928121...ews/reviews.htm

Good luck choosing!

Thanks, Finn. I haven't ruled out a fanny pack so I'll check this one out.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
For summer prairie hikes I purchased a grey Kelty Oriole waistpack. It cinches up tight, and carries a surprising payload very comfortably. It has a shoulder strap carry option too. My wife saw mine, and when I realized that she was about to invoke the community property laws, I got her a blue one, and we hiked happily ever after.... about $23 bucks online.

LOL@ marital bliss!

I actually looked at this one today at Sail. (Left the store with 2 MH pro packs, 1 pack of mini wipes and an Osprey digi pouch. Almost exactly what I went in for. Pretty impressive will power, Huh?)

I like this pack I didn't try it with any weight in it but it seems like it would be an improvement on my obusform fanny pack:
Obus Forme DLX Fanny Pack
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 01:42 AM

I got the Camelbak that has the removable sections last year. So it can strip down to just the bladder and a small pocket for around town or add one or two pouches back on for longer woods trips.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
I got the Camelbak that has the removable sections last year. So it can strip down to just the bladder and a small pocket for around town or add one or two pouches back on for longer woods trips.

Thanks Eugene. I'll have to look at that one. Is it this:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81422

BTW - love the link in your signature!!
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 05:08 PM

One of the medium camelbaks might fit the bill. Enough room for a snack, a kit, water and a jacket...and a few found treasures

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
One of the medium camelbaks might fit the bill. Enough room for a snack, a kit, water and a jacket...and a few found treasures

Thanks Teacher. I'm definitely going to spend some time in the camelbak section checking it all out. It's a nice compromise, I think, in terms of capacity and the ability to carry water comfortably.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 06:10 PM

omg. I've been retired to long. I like the bag izzy found. I need to work again. and grnt and scratch. Lol. Honestly, when I started using a nmessenger bag here, a tactical interior model which looked normal from the outside, it was met with less than steller enthusiasm. Ridicule and disrespect were far more common. Blackhawk mahe some very nice small bags I remember a compact vertical fanny pack meant to be worn at the small of the back. It had a main compartment, a front zip pocket and a water bottle and couuld be worn directly on ones belt. If i remember correctly it would hold what you have described.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 06:18 PM

Thats my light hiking rig fin. $10 at wal-mart. Bought another at a thrift shop for a buck, minus the bottles. No big deal. I switched out the 20 ounce nalgene knock offs for a pair of 32 ounce Powerade bottles. Added a knife, Gerber tool .357 loaded with CCI snake shot and first aid pouch to the belt. Outer pocket contains main Psk, inside hiking supplies. The tiny D ring holds small items on mini carabiner. I sewed on nylon straps to hold a light fleece jaket, wind breaker with beanie, gloves and socks rolled inside. Serves me well here in the desert and trail hiking in our mountains.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Thats my light hiking rig fin. $10 at wal-mart. Bought another at a thrift shop for a buck, minus the bottles. No big deal. I switched out the 20 ounce nalgene knock offs for a pair of 32 ounce Powerade bottles. Added a knife, Gerber tool .357 loaded with CCI snake shot and first aid pouch to the belt. Outer pocket contains main Psk, inside hiking supplies. The tiny D ring holds small items on mini carabiner. I sewed on nylon straps to hold a light fleece jaket, wind breaker with beanie, gloves and socks rolled inside. Serves me well here in the desert and trail hiking in our mountains.

Thanks Snake. I've got an arthritic right hip and I'm in the bad back club, so weight distribution is pretty important to me. You're making think of different configurations to try with what I already have, and I appreciate that! Adding a FAK pouch to my fanny pack's belt might with the weight distribution and make it more comfortable.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 06:25 PM

omg. I've been retired to long.

Rub it in, why don't ya?!

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 06:35 PM

Sorry jac. frown The ranch and work in the shop keep me busy enough.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 06:42 PM

I hear you Jac. I'm beat up from the life I've lived and the professions I chose. My hands and knee have arthritis and my back has problems from a jump gone bad. Wieght distribution does help when carrying loads, especially all day. If you have a sternum strap they make small sternum packs to carry immediate essentials and help distribute the wieght. My FAK is in a red pouch purchase at walgreens for $10 if I remember correctly. Of course I rebuilt it and it's considerably heavier now. The vertical fanny pack I mentioned could be worn flet to your back and should help with the center of gravity, as well as be more secure and not flop about if you have to chase your little one.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 07:48 PM

Give some consideration to The North Face Mountain Lumbar Pack. ~365cu. in. inside storage. You can comfortably wear it on your waist, you can add shoulder "strapettes" from other manufacturers, or ( by buckleing the waist belt) wear it on your one shoulder or even slung overhead and one shoulder, like a sling bag. The built in water bottle pockets are very secure. I've attached another small belt type pouch, to the built in straps that let you carry a shell. If you shoulder it, you can also attach a cellphone or other yoke type pocket. Finally, you can slide a multitool/flashlight holster onto the waist belt. Believe it or not, based upon my own experience, its very versatile, non-tactical and low profile, even in NYC, especially in black.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 08:07 PM

I hear you Jac. I'm beat up from the life I've lived and the professions I chose. My hands and knee have arthritis and my back has problems from a jump gone bad. Wieght distribution does help when carrying loads, especially all day. If you have a sternum strap they make small sternum packs to carry immediate essentials and help distribute the wieght. My FAK is in a red pouch purchase at walgreens for $10 if I remember correctly. Of course I rebuilt it and it's considerably heavier now. The vertical fanny pack I mentioned could be worn flet to your back and should help with the center of gravity, as well as be more secure and not flop about if you have to chase your little one.

Thanks Snake! Getting old's tough, isn't it?

I'll definitely check that pack out. Many thanks!
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 08:15 PM

Izzy: Nice bag. Would you share a contents list with us?

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I've decided to go more "normal" in how I choose to carry my urban EDC. Being tactical draws too much attention.

Prior to my exposure to tactical bags I was a Timbuk2 'Medium Messenger' and 'Commute" bag user. I've since sold them.

Fortunately some years ago I bought from L.L. Bean their "Sunwashed Messenger Bag." It's since been discontinued and replaced with a more traditional looking model. But they did bring back a similar design to what I have, but call it the "Sea Washed Messenger" if I recall correct.

Pictures for your enjoyment and inspiration.

I treated the canvas with a silicone based sealant. So it's now water-repellent.

Thanks, Izzy. That's a nice looking bag! (I had a diaper bag once that was kinda similar bit not nearly as stylish. It looked like, well, a diaper bag.) I could see swapping my EDC purse for the LL Bean one.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Give some consideration to The North Face Mountain Lumbar Pack. ~365cu. in. inside storage. You can comfortably wear it on your waist, you can add shoulder "strapettes" from other manufacturers, or ( by buckleing the waist belt) wear it on your one shoulder or even slung overhead and one shoulder, like a sling bag. The built in water bottle pockets are very secure. I've attached another small belt type pouch, to the built in straps that let you carry a shell. If you shoulder it, you can also attach a cellphone or other yoke type pocket. Finally, you can slide a multitool/flashlight holster onto the waist belt. Believe it or not, based upon my own experience, its very versatile, non-tactical and low profile, even in NYC, especially in black.

Thanks Acroplis. I'll check that out. I think a shoulder strap might be key to the fanny pack approach for me. Water bottle holders that hold them securely is another. No water bottle I've used, they all fallen out of the water bottle holder on my Obus Forme fanny pack. I hooked em up to a carribeaner but that didn't fix the problem. They still swung and flopped and drove me nuts!

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Izzy: Nice bag. Would you share a contents list with us?

Yes please. :-)

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 09:10 PM

'Oh, what have I done?!"

This place is like pure evil heaven! ETS, and Gurus like you, Izzy, create monst... I mean addic ... i mean ETSers at an astonishing rate. And I, for one, thank you all for it!
Posted by: Jolt

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 10:35 PM

If you'd rather have a small backpack than a fanny pack or need a little more capacity, the Black Diamond Magnum daypack (a little over 1000 ci) is nice...I just picked one up for trail running and day hikes and am pleased with it. I am finding myself using it for other general outings as well. It has a webbing waist belt and sternum strap for stability which is good for running, but even with just the shoulder straps it doesn't seem to bounce around too much even for someone my size (short and skinny). And it just looks like a normal day pack that anyone might carry while out and about.
Posted by: Jolt

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 10:45 PM

-

I had thought about getting that pack but then saw the torso length it's designed for...would not have worked well for me at all!

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/23/12 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Jolt
If you'd rather have a small backpack than a fanny pack or need a little more capacity, the Black Diamond Magnum daypack (a little over 1000 ci) is nice...I just picked one up for trail running and day hikes and am pleased with it. I am finding myself using it for other general outings as well. It has a webbing waist belt and sternum strap for stability which is good for running, but even with just the shoulder straps it doesn't seem to bounce around too much even for someone my size (short and skinny). And it just looks like a normal day pack that anyone might carry while out and about.

Thanks Jolt. I'll check it out. It sounds about just the right size and if you use it while running it will probably work well for me when riding.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/24/12 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
It sounds like you need a plain old rucksack with a sternum strap or a messenger bag with a stabilizer strap. My only caveat while on pavement is to avoid anything with to many outside compartments that can be accessed by someone else without your knowledge. I usually gravitate toward a tote, satchel, or ruck for carrying stuff on pavement, but I'm also just walking. I like the convenience of a messenger/sling bag, but I can't tolerate any pressure against the side of my neck.

Thanks Mark! I am partial to packs with two shoulder straps and, in this case, it wouldn't be out of place as long I keep it civilian.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/24/12 08:56 AM

For years, I have carried an Eagle Creek briefcase with integral pack straps. I can wear it like a backpack, lug it like a briefcase, or simply sling it by one strap over my shoulder. In the field, I have used it as a chest pack while wearing a larger conventional back pack. Mine is at least twenty years old and is still presentable enough for office use. Similar models remain in the Eagle Creek line, and I am sure similar rigs are available from other sources.

Re: Urban Carry Recommendation - 03/24/12 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
For years, I have carried an Eagle Creek briefcase with integral pack straps. I can wear it like a backpack, lug it like a briefcase, or simply sling it by one strap over my shoulder. In the field, I have used it as a chest pack while wearing a larger conventional back pack. Mine is at least twenty years old and is still presentable enough for office use. Similar models remain in the Eagle Creek line, and I am sure similar rigs are available from other sources.

Thanks Hikermor! It sounds very versatile. I'll check it out!