2012 Garden Thread

Posted by: 2005RedTJ

2012 Garden Thread - 03/12/12 05:14 AM

What's everyone growing this year? I haven't had a garden at all in a few years and am just getting back into it. I threw together a seed starting setup out of leftover 2x4's and plywood from our remodel.

Going to be growing corn, bell peppers, banana peppers, cayenne, jalapenos, tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce, onions, green beans and cucumbers.

Pics once I get a chance, planning starting all the stuff that needs to be started indoors tomorrow night.
Posted by: CoastalGuy

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/13/12 12:51 PM

Lettuce, cabbage, and sugar snap peas are already in the ground.
Fighting a battle with slugs over the cabbage, but I think we will prevail. Radishes, carrots, pole beans, tomatoes, and various greens to be planted soon. Still haven't decided on trying peppers again this year, we have not had great luck with them recently.
Almost forgot, we are going to plant an asparagus bed in a few weeks. It will be a couple of years before we get a harvest, but it should produce for 10 -15 years.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/13/12 01:49 PM

No gardening for me until after the long weekend in May. That's the traditional start of planting season in these parts. We could probably get in the ground earlier given what little winter we've had this year but my black thumb needs to stick to the tried and true.

Until then, I'm on clean up and resoil duty, to get the beds ready.
Posted by: thseng

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/14/12 05:48 PM

Picked up a bag of fertilizer today for my SFG. Compost just hasn't been doing much for me. I had better yields when I didn't know so much.
Posted by: comms

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/14/12 07:24 PM

we got beans, peas, tomato, lettuce's, carrots, some herbs, garlic and even a pumpkin planted. Our first box garden so we'll see how it goes.

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/15/12 02:01 AM

I got the seeds started last night that I wanted to (bell peppers, cayenne, jalapenos, banana peppers, tomatoes, onions, lettuce). So now it's waiting time.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/15/12 11:14 AM

The greenhouse people are ready.....
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/22/12 01:03 PM

Seed Tape

For you gardeners out there, in case you hadn't seen it.

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/23/12 12:37 AM

It's the 22nd of March here. With the freakishly warm weather, and several days of drizzle, I may have to mow my lawn in MARCH! I have never.....

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/23/12 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
It's the 22nd of March here. With the freakishly warm weather, and several days of drizzle, I may have to mow my lawn in MARCH! I have never.....

Yes, I know; It's the 22nd of March where you are too. blush
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/23/12 01:39 AM

My crocouses and tulips are popping up already. I guess I didn't kill them after all! :-)
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/23/12 02:46 AM

trying two different DIY styles of self watering units...knockoff of an "Earthbox" system and other one a 5gal bucket...peppers, garlic, yellow onions, and snow peas...
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/23/12 03:51 AM

Dang it Byrd. You ruined my fun! It's almost the 23nd here...couldn't resist :-)

On a serious note, I am getting out the tiller this weekend and at least getting the ground ready. I will have to mow this weekend too. First time for us also in March.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to get a jump on things by planting some seeds in the garden. I can always start over if they sprout and get zapped by a cold snap.

Re: 2012 Garden Thread - 03/23/12 04:32 AM

Got quite a few trays sprouting already. Looking forward to getting to transplant them out into the garden.