Pocket Organizer

Posted by: bacpacjac

Pocket Organizer - 03/08/12 10:47 PM

I needed a new wallet and have been lusting after the Maxpedition Mini Pocket Organizer so I headed to the local army surplus store to check it out. They didn't have one frown but they did have the Condor version so I picked it up.

It appears to be a bit smaller than the Maxpedition and doesn't have as many elastic loops or the second large internal pocket. but I'm having fun playing around with it and it seems to hold a fair amount. My wallet busted a zipper so I'm leary about trying to jam too much stuff in there. So far it's got:

-cash, bank cards, DL, calling card, etc.
-small note pad
-pen
-pencil
-sharpie
-mag lite solitare
-3-in-1 whistle, fire steel, compass
-disposable rain poncho
-CPR face shield, a few bandaids and prep pads
-SAK
-mini bic
-lip balm
-safety pin
-paper clip
-nail clippers
-2 tampons

[img]http://m1105.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/backpackjac/IMG_20120308_180649.jpg.html?newest=1[/img]

going to add some advil, an eye glass repair kit and spare keys for my house and Jeep. I also want to get a pen light to replace the solitare.

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: I added 2 spare AAAs and about 6 feet of duct tape wrapped on an old gift card. Can't imagine getting much more in there now, except the advil, glasses repair kit and spare keys. Different stuff, yes. More stuff, no.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/08/12 11:02 PM

I went with the CountyComm Diplomat pocket organizer. The "belt loop and pull handle on the rear of the pouch" readily attached to the webbing of the EOD Utility bag.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/08/12 11:23 PM

This reminds me, I have one sitting here that I bought the other weekend and haven't even touched - the Condor one just like yours.

Guess I need to see what I want to put in it.

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/08/12 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
I went with the CountyComm Diplomat pocket organizer. The "belt loop and pull handle on the rear of the pouch" readily attached to the webbing of the EOD Utility bag.

The Condor Pocket Pouch is similar, Russ, but not quite as robust. (I took is US flag patch of mine. No offence intended. It's just that I'm not American. I'm Canuckian!)

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/09/12 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
This reminds me, I have one sitting here that I bought the other weekend and haven't even touched - the Condor one just like yours.

Guess I need to see what I want to put in it.

Get to it, Red! Let's compare notes!
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/09/12 12:51 AM

Your idea of a wallet is different from mine grin.

I'd replace the Maglite Solitaire with a better flashlight, like a Thrunite Ti (https://illuminationsupply.com/ti-black-p-95.html?zenid=2eb838cb7bdb16632a5aa5d848a89816_ -- no affiliation other than as a customer).

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/09/12 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

LOL! I was just thinking that Chaos. It's twice the size if the one it replaced and is, clearly, way more than a wallet. Shaking my head at what you people have done to me! ;0

It's really an in-between between my old wallet and my purse. It fits in my jacket pockets and cargo pants pockets, which is a nice compromise. It also fits nicely in my daypack and GHB.

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/09/12 01:16 AM

I'd replace the Maglite Solitaire with a better flashlight, like a Thrunite Ti (https://illuminationsupply.com/ti-black-p-95.html?zenid=2eb838cb7bdb16632a5aa5d848a89816_ -- no affiliation other than as a customer).

I looked T some Fenix lights today. Haven't seen a Thrunite but I've added to my recon list. Thanks for the tip!

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/09/12 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Condor's stuff depending on the year it was made will either last forever or fall apart in weeks. I have a Condor knock off of the Maxpedition Proteus that essentially ever stitch in it came undone within 2 weeks. Then I have a Condor knock off of their M2 Pouch. Lasted me 4 years now without a single problem.

Thanks Izzy. I guess I need to try not to stuff it too full.

Ya know, Izzy, you started my quest for the Maxpedition organizer. Love the video you did on your EDC organizer! So, thanks again!

P.s. I just saw that Maxpedition also has a micro pocket organizer. shocked
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/09/12 02:54 AM

I was shopping for a pocket organizer some time ago. I found many pictures on edcforums:

http://tiforums.com/threads/edc-pocket-organizer-pics.36134/

It seems that most such organizers are variations on a theme, and companies like CountyComm or Maxpedition all make their own versions. They're around 4x6 or so, made of heavy synthetic fabric, can open fully like a book/clamshell, closes with a zipper, and have tons of pockets (usually for tubular objects like pens or screwdrivers). Some of them have MOLLE.

I don't like them. Here's why:
  • Too thick. My pockets are not particularly big, and the sturdy construction means more bulk. If I want something that big, I will probably just step up to a purse. (Yes, I'm a man, and I'm OK with that term. Shakespeare uses it, so there's no shame.)
  • The pockets in the organizer often do not have enough variety. Many of the pockets are for tubular objects, and I don't carry five different pens. You end up squeezing a bunch of stuff into the one big pocket, which is typically very flat because it's designed for a notebook. That makes getting things out harder.
  • While many people like the zipper and clamshell opening, I do not. It makes it harder to discreetly take out just one item. You have to take out the pocket organizer, open it, and then take what you need. Hello, world, check out my goodies!
  • The tactical look may draw unwanted attention.

Right now I'm using an Eagle Creek Travel Sac. If I want to get something, I unzip it without even removing it from my pocket, reach down and feel for the thing I need, and take it out. It would be best if I can put in compartments/inner pockets.

If someone knows of a thin pocket organizer that is basically like a Travel Sac with compartments, please let me know. (Eagle Creek does make something with compartments, but it's too big.)

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/09/12 03:11 AM

I tend to agree with you, Bingley, about organizers being too big. I suspect that this one is going to quickly start residing in my Jeep. It fits in my cargo pockets and jacket pockets but I don't think I'm going to EDC it for long. I could be wrong, but I think I'm going to revert to spreading stuff out in my pockets, my (up until this point) favorite way to carry my edc gear in the winter, spring and fall.

This kit does have 2 molle straps on the back, so could go on my belt, and I can probably rig it like a purse with a shoulder strap, but...... I already have a purse that I use for EDC in the warmer weather. No wonder so many people have so much redundant gear!
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/09/12 04:22 AM

That's why I haven't put anything in mine yet. Trying to decide what to do with it as far as being able to possible EDC it. It's too big for my regular jeans pockets as well as my work khakis.

Probably end up relegating it to residing in my SHTF bag eventually.
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/09/12 07:43 AM

Damn you Chaos! I was at step 8 of my 12-step flashaholic recovery program. And look, buy 4 and get one FREE. How can one resist?

I'd also have difficultly using the organizer as a wallet. I'm not much of a murse guy, nor do I generally wear fanny packs (at least not where someone might know me!). I could see it helping to organize my EDC bag. I wonder if there's one that will fit that battleaxe Bing posted up?

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/09/12 11:47 PM

These pocket organizers are not wallets and about teh only pocket they'd be compatible with are the thigh pockets on six pocket trousers.

I have mine attached via PALs webbing to the EOD Utility Bag linked in my previous post. It helps to keep small stuff from getting lost inside the larger bag and at the same time it doesn't take up room inside the larger bag.

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/10/12 12:25 AM

It's funny how it seemed so much smaller when it was empty! I love it but now I'm on the hunt for a new wallet again.

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/10/12 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark_M

Damn you Chaos! I was at step 8 of my 12-step flashaholic recovery program. And look, buy 4 and get one FREE. How can one resist?

LOL! I went to look at lights today. Passed on an 8 pk of cheapie 3XAAAs for $10, almost bought a Fenix TK15 but couldn't afford it, and they didn't have any Thrunites. First time I ever walked out of that store without buying a single thing. But then I saw a mag solitare for $4 on my way to the post office for stamps. It filled a hole, gave a cheap fix and delayed that next big purchase for a little while longer.

Damn you enablers! LOL!!
Posted by: Andy

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/10/12 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
It's funny how it seemed so much smaller when it was empty! I love it but now I'm on the hunt for a new wallet again.

Jac,

Not sure how big a wallet you need but I really do like my Mission Leather wallet.

Fits into my front pocket and carries my knife, flashlight, cash, bandages, notepad, pen and pencil.

They come in a number of leathers including ostrich and stingray. You can find them at Blade Art.

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/10/12 02:25 AM

Thanks so much, Andy. I've heard good things about the mission wallet. I'm adding it to my search list!

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/10/12 02:30 AM

Bladeart.com is a better link wink

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/10/12 02:43 AM

Thanks Russ!
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/11/12 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_M

PM me and I'll set you up with a free stay in my Flashaholic Rehab Clinic. Just send me all your flashlights and shred your credit cards and you'll be fine laugh.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/11/12 05:00 PM

Hi Jac. I have three organizers from EASTSPORT that I have picked up at thrift shops for 1-2 bucks each. They are great, hold lots of stuff, hace several compartments and loops. Very compact and can be worn on a strap or belt. Tried to find a link for you but thier website is hard to negotiate. You might like the design. One of mine is a survival kit on the belt of my 7 day pack.

Re: Pocket Organizer - 03/23/12 03:11 AM

Ok, it's been a couple of weeks so I thought I'd give you an update. It now holds:

-cash, calling card, copies of id and emergency contact info
-small note pad, pen, pencil, sharpie
-mag lite solitare, 2 extra batteries
-whistle, fire steel, compass, straw with cotton balls
-disposable rain poncho
-eye glasses repair kit
-CPR face shield, assorted bandaids, prep pads, polysporin
-folder, mini bic, duct tape (on gift card), zip ties
-lip balm, safety pin, paper clip, nail clippers (with file)
-2 tampons, 2 thin maxi pads

It's a nice little kit and it spen4 a total of 2 days in my pocket. It lives in my jeep! Way too big for me for comfortable pocket carry. It'll be great to throw into a daypack though.

I picked up a little Osprey Digi Stow today to address my wallet issue. It's just big enough to hold my phone, bank card and some cash! (I do have and use aregular wallet, but I want something to take when I don't want to carry my purse.)

Osprey Digi Stow

Re: Pocket Organizer - 08/19/12 12:02 AM

I made a couple more changes to this kit today. I swapped out the folder for my Gerber Recoil. (I like the versatility of having a multitool. I didn't think it wojld fit as well as the thin profile of the knife, but, it does.) I also added some more coin and paper money. (This kit either rides in my Jeep or my edc backpack, but it could also be grabbed from the Jeep if I was in a hurry.)