Body Armor suggestions

Posted by: colefield

Body Armor suggestions - 02/28/12 04:22 PM

After my response below, I was prompted to do a little digging. Unfortunately I discovered that this poster is posting very similar things in a bunch of fora. This leads me to believe that the poster has some relationship with the company. I've banned the account for spamming.

chaosmagnet
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 02/28/12 05:09 PM

What do you want the body armor for? What threats are you preparing against?

For myself and the threats I think I'm likely to face, I've decided against body armor. To be effective, you need to be wearing it or have enough warning to put it on before the threat presents itself.

Also, the added weight and bulk can have a significant impact upon any use of a firearm, especially if you're using cover, moving, or using any shooting positions that aren't on two feet. This means significant additional training time. My training time is constrained as it is.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 02/28/12 06:11 PM

Body armor is getting lighter and thinner all the time. Until I retired a few months ago I was required to wear it. A fact the insurance company made very plain to my employers. I don't likke it and prefer to be free to move and cooler without it holding in heat. It can also get in the way. My suggestion is do without unless people are shooting at you.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 02/28/12 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Body armor is getting lighter and thinner all the time. Until I retired a few months ago I was required to wear it. A fact the insurance company made very plain to my employers. I don't likke it and prefer to be free to move and cooler without it holding in heat. It can also get in the way. My suggestion is do without unless people are shooting at you.
At which time it's too late to change your mind.

Was that medical insurance or life insurance? If your line of work is such that people might shoot at you, wear the body armor; that's your insurance.

As for that video (I watched before it was removed) -- not impressed with the testing procedures. The bullet may have a much different effect on the armor if you back up the plates with a man size/weight mass, rather than just sticking it in sand and allowing it to fall over. $.02
Posted by: comms

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 02/29/12 08:28 PM

thanks for breaking this thread off. The title itself raised my antenna that it was at best a newbies innocent unknowing of our forums general direction and at worst a shill.

Good job moderator.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/01/12 04:19 AM

The company my fiance works for hired an intern and moves the intern around from department to department daily. I told her and her co-workers that I wished my work would hire us interns. We could duct tape phone books all over them as body armor and let them go all prison-gladiator-style on each other to see who REALLY wants the job.

She thinks I'm not quite right for some reason I can't understand...
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/01/12 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
The company my fiance works for hired an intern and moves the intern around from department to department daily. I told her and her co-workers that I wished my work would hire us interns. We could duct tape phone books all over them as body armor and let them go all prison-gladiator-style on each other to see who REALLY wants the job.

Probably because you forgot their weapons. Classic rookie mistake.

Tubes from wrapping paper, empty lunch boxes, staplers (as projectile-launchers, ie, staples)... all work well for improv'd gladiatorial combat. wink
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/01/12 04:25 PM

Pens for short-range stabbing weapons, whirling mice for IT guys, coffee-based special powers, and the sales reps can throw flaming appletinis.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/02/12 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ

Probably because you forgot their weapons. Classic rookie mistake.

Tubes from wrapping paper, empty lunch boxes, staplers (as projectile-launchers, ie, staples)... all work well for improv'd gladiatorial combat. wink

Yeah, I was going to let them improvise their own weapons. I've actually seen a friend of mine get hit with a stapler once. He came over the desk and knocked the guy out with one hit, it was awesome.
Posted by: trooper0366

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/02/12 12:32 AM

Don't forget good old rubber bands. Generally greater range than stapples. Then there is always the ruler to the knuckles.:)
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/02/12 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: trooper0366
Don't forget good old rubber bands. Generally greater range than stapples. Then there is always the ruler to the knuckles.:)

*Sigh* I trained interns in marksmanship with rubber bands. It's amazing what bad shooting habits they bring with them to work. Proper technique is apparently no longer taught in school.

Also, interns tend to flinch when getting shot at, which makes it difficult for them to fight duels. They have to develop proper focus so they don't miss their shot.

I've also had to teach the art of stealth, utilizing natural coverings such as filing cabinets, potted plants, water coolers, etc. as you advance towards your target. This is a most difficult art. Most assassins get shot once they get within range.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/02/12 12:52 AM

Were those the old school full-size rubber bands, or the carbine-style? I hear the newer ones are just as effective but with shorter range ....

Man, talk about off-topic. laugh This place is great.
Posted by: trooper0366

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/02/12 07:09 AM

Life is more fun when you can be a little nuts once in a while.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/02/12 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Were those the old school full-size rubber bands, or the carbine-style? I hear the newer ones are just as effective but with shorter range ....

One mindset, any weapon. That's my motto. My trainees have to learn to adapt to the common variation in office rubber bands. They shoot exclusively with their bare hands. No aids allowed. Stealth is incredibly important in a professional environment. This means the ability to deliver a quick follow up shot if you misgauge the first rubber band.

Or you risk getting killed by moi.

There are also one-handed contact range techniques. Somehow the interns have a lot of trouble with them, esp. with chambering.

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/02/12 05:46 PM

Both. And regardless of what the movies show taking a solid hit to armor hurts. I am glad those days are over for me. and I agree having a human inside a vest does provide more accurate testing results.
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/02/12 10:03 PM

In 06 a buddy of mine took a hit to the front plate by a 7.62 x 49. He dropped to the ground like a bag of hot nickles. The plates saved his life,(as intended) but he still wound up in hospital with cracked ribs and some bad bruises. Body armour will save your life yes, but is still going to hurt.

I can't really see a survival use for it other than its intended purpose.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/02/12 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Taurus

I can't really see a survival use for it other than its intended purpose.

I am sure that carrying all that weight builds character.

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/03/12 12:30 AM

do you mean 7.62x39?

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/03/12 12:36 AM

Don't forget the Tae Bo and Dance-Fu experts.
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/03/12 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
do you mean 7.62x39?

Oops, yep. Fat fingers. Good catch

Re: Body Armor suggestions - 03/03/12 01:26 AM

Lol. Np. Thought maybe there was a new toy on the market I should look into.