Exotac MatchCap XL

Posted by: Phaedrus

Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/24/12 10:33 AM

For the most part I'll go on record as not really being a "match guy". Most of the membership of ETS will know why, even if you don't fully agree. The first reason is that matches are pretty limiting, and at best you get one fire per match, not good compared to a lighter or firesteel. I also don't consider matches very reliable. Their main enemy is moisture. Even the best matches (eg UCO Stormproof, REI Storm match) won't light on a wet striker.

That said, I think matches do have a place, especially if you take care to keep them dry. One of the most practical ways to do this is a good quality match safe. I've been doing some research and the Exotac MatchCap looked good but a bit small for my tastes. My preferred match is the UCO and only about a dozen will fit. Relatively recently Exotac came out with a larger, redesigned version called the MatchCap XL. Unfortunately it's sold out at Exotac's own site and pretty hard to find. But recently I found them at an eBay vendor that I've had great luck with in the past. I placed my order for the XL in orange since I intend them to be primarily a survival item. When I can I always choose orange or yellow for survival stuff.

Here are a few pictures from Exotac's web site:

Overall this is a very slickly designed case! It weighs only an ounce and a half and is pretty compact. Testing has shown it to be water tight. It has a disc of sandpaper as well as knurling that can both be used to strike "strike-anywhere" type matches. But the best feature to me is the (replaceable) phosphorus strip glued to the inside of the case. Very nice! It's inside of the O-ring sealer portion where it can't get wet. This means it should be good to go when you need it. Exotac includes a spare o-ring as well as replacement strikers of both types. And they sell refill kits as well. One last touch that I like is the cap which has a loop for clipping to a carabiner or wearing on a lanyard.

I can easily fit 25 UCO Stormproof matches in the case, with a bit of room on top. Exotac says the intentionally make it slightly taller than UCO matches (which they recommend) to accommodate cotton balls or limited bits of survival gear. Very nice.

The only thing I might have preferred would be two striker panels. They wisely made the striker significantly larger than on the smaller MatchCap to address the main complaint of users. It seems that as each match uses some of the phosphorus, most people ran out of usuable striker before running out of matches. The larger striker addresses this but better still would be to have two cut-outs to minimize weight but leave two "columns" for strikers. One would probably be wise to tuck a sealed extra striker inside the safe even if that means carrying a couple less matches. Better, say, 23 that you know will light than 26 and a dead striker.

So far this is just a kitchen table review. When I make out next time I'll see how it holds up to use. I'm pretty confident given the build quality and design that it will be a great match safe.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/24/12 11:22 AM

One quick comment; I repacked the case a bit. I took one of the full sized strikers that are packaged in the 25 count boxes of the UCO matches and sealed it in plastic with my vacuum sealer. I really got the dimensions down to just 1 mm bigger than the striker. By carefully packing matches around the sealed striker and staggering them head up and head down I got 23 matches plus the extra striker.

I also sealed the included stick-on striker the same way. I slid it down against the full sized one with no loss of match capacity. Maybe I'll pull the full sized one out and see if that buys me space for a few more matches but for now I'm leaning towards maximum striking redundancy vs firepower.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/24/12 04:24 PM

Thank you for the review. It is indeed a good looking case. My premium match case has been a K&M match case, but it has a significant flaw. The double O-ring cap on the K&M is very difficult to remove. This could be a real problem in adverse conditions when you might well be cold and shivering, etc. It is, however, probably better than the reverse situation, where the cap can come off too easily. I have done that, too, and it certainly isn't any fun.

I would not agree with your "one match means one fire" comment. Particularly in a survival situation, where a person would be staying put, or at least stopping overnight, you would build a fire that would result in a bed of coals that could easily be rekindled the following morning. You can keep this up for days...
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/24/12 05:20 PM

Phaedrus,

Thanks for the review, let us know how it turns out. I like the looks of everything except the screw on top. In many locations the threads get dirty and it is difficult to unscrew. I would also like to see a loop on the lower part so that nothing can be left behind.

hikermor,

I also use the K&M case for both regular and REI/UCO matches. I am very happy with them - especially the ease of opening. Do you know what is causing yours to be difficult? I have 8 and none of them are any problem at all (I use silicone O ring grease).

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/24/12 05:37 PM

Oh, lubrication!! I am using mine just as it came and indeed the o-rings are rather dry. Would a silicone grease be appropriate? Aside from this issue, I am very happy with the K&M - nice size, good capacity, etc.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/24/12 06:13 PM

Mineral oil should work well, but I am happy with a VERY light coating of silicone O ring grease. I also keep the ring and mating surface clean (much easier than cleaning threads).

I also agree with your statment on multiple fires. If I am lost or stuck I am only going to light one fire. The object is to keep it going until rescued. I carry working matches (enough for several a day for the trip, both penny boxes and strike anywhere in a K&M case), emergency matches (1 K&M case full of REI matches) and several rods, strikers, etc. But I expect to only use the every day ones more than for one fire.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Posted by: LED

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/24/12 06:31 PM

Thanks for the review Phaedrus. I'm also a match fan. Right now I'm using the UCO Stormproof match case. The only problem is the striker on the outside can get wet/damaged. Looks like the Exotac solves that problem.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/24/12 07:06 PM

I use Nyogel 760G to lube the threads and O-rings of my flashlights. It works quite well, and I'd use the same on a metal match case.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/24/12 09:10 PM

Suggestion followed. Worked wonderfully - problem solved.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/25/12 12:50 AM

I use the orange cases like you find at wal-Mart. Never had a problem with them. My first one is almost 30 years old and still serves as a mini kit. Recently I bought one by Coleman and was pleasantly suprised to find that it came with waterproof matches and a sizable striker strip inside a tiny zip-lock. I rut the matches in the zip-lock and tossed them in general gear for "just in case". Have any of you tried the brass Siva case with a compass on it? I have been considering it, but no one has one to examine. Thanks

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/25/12 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor

I would not agree with your "one match means one fire" comment. Particularly in a survival situation, where a person would be staying put, or at least stopping overnight, you would build a fire that would result in a bed of coals that could easily be rekindled the following morning. You can keep this up for days...

Hey, no fair! That's still the same fire! grin Obviously you're right- normally you'd hunker down in place and keep the same fire going. That would be the plan, anyways. Lots of things could happen that could force your hand of the situation could change in a way that made moving the logical choice.

Of course, there's the flip side of needing more than one match per fire. Hopefully you have plenty of good tinder to get a fire going and it goes with one match but that doesn't always happen. In any event, I don't want to make a big deal out of it, and if I didn't think they were worth having I wouldn't have bought such a nice match case! grin My first choice is usually a firesteel, then a BIC lighter, then matches. But that's just personal preference on my part. And I wouldn't think of going out on a hiker without some matches as backup.

Originally Posted By: LED
Thanks for the review Phaedrus. I'm also a match fan. Right now I'm using the UCO Stormproof match case. The only problem is the striker on the outside can get wet/damaged. Looks like the Exotac solves that problem.

I have a half dozen of those UCO cases in yellow or orange. I think they're pretty nice. Yeah, the striker being on the outside is asking for trouble they include extra material inside. The plastic UCO cases are hard to beat for the money! I bought mine from Amazon for $7 shipped, and that's filled with UCO Stormproof matches.

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
I use the orange cases like you find at wal-Mart. Never had a problem with them. My first one is almost 30 years old and still serves as a mini kit. Recently I bought one by Coleman and was pleasantly suprised to find that it came with waterproof matches and a sizable striker strip inside a tiny zip-lock. I rut the matches in the zip-lock and tossed them in general gear for "just in case". Have any of you tried the brass Siva case with a compass on it? I have been considering it, but no one has one to examine. Thanks

Those cheapie $1 Coleman cases aren't really too bad. The matches are great but they're serviceable, and really free when you consider the case is a buck. The striker is terrific! I can't believe how big a sheet you get. And it will light every brand of strike-on-box I've seen including the UCO. I found that by cutting the UCO matches down by 3/16" or so they'll fit in the Coleman case.

No I haven't had a chance to try the brass ones.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/25/12 12:41 PM

While we are talking aout match cases that work, there is the classic Marbles metal case. It does not include a good striker (the outside surface is scored for that purpose, but it definitely will not open accidentally). I have had that happen a time or two with the Walmart/Coleman plastic jobs, although not regularly.
Posted by: Cauldronborn2

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/25/12 02:06 PM

Strangely enough I've been trying to find one of the Siva match safes myself but I haven't found anywhere with them in stock, nether the brass or aluminum ones. Anyone have any ideas where to look?

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/28/12 02:45 PM

I find the marbles case a bit hard to open with warm supple fingers. Mine is in a box in the shed because I wouldn't want to risk it in winter.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 02/28/12 02:46 PM

Cabellas has them. In Black and Brass if I remember correctly.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/02/12 07:27 AM

As an FYI I was messing around with the $1 Coleman's match case from Wal-Mart a few nights ago and was surprised to find that the cheap, tiny fire steel glued to the bottom does indeed work well enough to light a cotton ball with ease! I was actually pretty surprised. Now after scraping it a dozen times to test it I'd say you probably aren't gonna get more than a couple dozen fires out of it at best before it's gone but in a pinch I'm glad to know it works.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/02/12 09:18 AM

Hey Snake sorry for not responding sooner, I thought this thread was dead! I've looked on Cabela's website about a week or so ago and they didn't have them. In fact all the websites I've come across with a google search that have them listed seem to have been out of stock for some time. I'm wondering if Silva discontinued that line.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/02/12 05:35 PM

Yup. They work well. I've started a lot of fires with them over the years.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/02/12 05:38 PM

NP Cauldron. I'll look through my catalogs and find you an item number for reference. As I remeber they do not name them as silva, but that is what people have indentified them as. Thanks for respondind and I'll be in touch.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/02/12 06:58 PM

I've tried looking under Silva match case/safe, brass match case/safe, aluminum match case/safe and match/matches both on their site and through google and had no luck. If you could give me a ref number I would be very grateful.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/02/12 07:46 PM

Hey cauldron. Just tried thier site and it's hard to navigate. When i get home i'll dig out the catalogs and and thumb through them. I'll find you a number. I think they were about 15.99 last I looked. And I believe they had a double O ring system. Plus the button compass.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/02/12 11:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=798m2HpxVL4

From the K&M website..........the only match cases K&M has ever manufactured without their name on them. Johnson marketed them under the Silva name, logo, and packaging.............

http://www.kmmatchcase.com/

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/03/12 12:18 AM

Try item # 51-6126.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/03/12 12:27 AM

I gave up on the video. It was too much like listening to my 95 year old nieghbor ramble. But that looks like what I have been considering purchasing.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/03/12 12:30 AM

If it is a K&M, it is indeed a very fine match case, especially if you lubricate the o-rings every decade or so.....

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/03/12 12:39 AM

What are spiders? And how did I get promoted from stranger?

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/03/12 12:46 AM

If it is a K&M, it is indeed a very fine match case, especially if you lubricate the o-rings every decade or so.....

That's what I've been trying to tell my wife!

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/03/12 03:30 PM

Snake I tried to ref number but nothing came up. Might I ask how old your catalog is from my digging on the net there doesn't seem to a mention of the Silva match case anywhere after 2006/2007. In fact the only metal match cases/safes I've seen are the K&M ones.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/03/12 04:14 PM

It has to do with the number of posts you make. It is customary when you are advanced in rank to send everyone on the forum a check for $100.....

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/03/12 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn2
Snake I tried to ref number but nothing came up. Might I ask how old your catalog is from my digging on the net there doesn't seem to a mention of the Silva match case anywhere after 2006/2007. In fact the only metal match cases/safes I've seen are the K&M ones.

K&M made the matchcases that were marketed under the Silva name for a short time.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/03/12 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
As an FYI I was messing around with the $1 Coleman's match case from Wal-Mart a few nights ago and was surprised to find that the cheap, tiny fire steel glued to the bottom does indeed work well enough to light a cotton ball with ease! I was actually pretty surprised.

I was surprised too. It gives me even more confidence for my real fire steels.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/03/12 09:42 PM

As an FYI I was messing around with the $1 Coleman's match case from Wal-Mart a few nights ago and was surprised to find that the cheap, tiny fire steel glued to the bottom does indeed work well enough to light a cotton ball with ease! I was actually pretty surprised. Now after scraping it a dozen times to test it I'd say you probably aren't gonna get more than a couple dozen fires out of it at best before it's gone but in a pinch I'm glad to know it works.

Hmmmm... cutting off just that bottom piece with the small ferro rod attached, and drilling a small hole in the plastic base plate, could be a nice little addition to a survival necklace or keychain... might need to try it for my edc necklace.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 12:13 AM

OK, did it have a screw thread?

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 07:42 AM

I have some fire steels that aren't much bigger than a match. It might not be a bad idea for me to stick one in a match case just in case.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Hmmmm... cutting off just that bottom piece with the small ferro rod attached, and drilling a small hole in the plastic base plate, could be a nice little addition to a survival necklace or keychain... might need to try it for my edc necklace.

If you want something that's very small but vastly better, check these out. You can get pure fire steel or a titanium rod with a 'steel attached. I have two of the former and one of the latter and I'm very impressed with them. Lace them into your shoe laces, wear on your neck, etc. A nice product overall.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 03:19 PM

Thanks for the reference; that is a very interesting site with an interesting product. I'll probably be ordering form them soon.

You mentioned tying one of the Firesteel toggles into your shoe laces and I wonder if that is always a good idea. Doe you run a chance of starting a fire inadvertently if you keep a steel in that location where it can be moving and hitting things, possibly creating sparks?

This may be a far fetched possibility some places, but here in the southwest, serious fires have been started by accidental sparks. I have personally created sparks accidentally while working with steel tools in grassy environments, so it is a real possibility - not so much in the rain soaked Pacific northwest.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 04:32 PM

Hi Jac. I've done this. It works better to use a tiny eye bolt and nut through the lid. Waterproof with a bit of rubber or a drop of silicone. And it preserves the ferro rod.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 04:35 PM

Lol. Thanks. checks in the mail...

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 05:30 PM

He could tie it inside the laces kind of like a mil dog tag. Should be safe.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 06:29 PM

If you want something that's very small but vastly better, check these out. You can get pure fire steel or a titanium rod with a 'steel attached. I have two of the former and one of the latter and I'm very impressed with them. Lace them into your shoe laces, wear on your neck, etc. A nice product overall.

Thanks Phaedrus! That looks like what keving uses on his paracord bracelet. It could make a nice button for the new wool blanket poncho I'm working on...

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 06:30 PM

Hi Jac. I've done this. It works better to use a tiny eye bolt and nut through the lid. Waterproof with a bit of rubber or a drop of silicone. And it preserves the ferro rod.

Thanks Snake!

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 07:49 PM

No thanks to Phaedrus, now I have to spend $33 dollars on a firesteel, the NanoStriker XL. I just noticed it looking at the match case.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 08:26 PM

I'm not understanding something. What you propose is keeping the whole case intact and installing an eye bolt (?). I read what she wrote as something totally different. She wants to cut off the bottom of this case to put on her necklace.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Waterproof-Storage-Container-Camping/dp/B002AYO7OE/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon

Maybe I'm not understanding. I read what she wrote as something totally different. She wants to cut off the bottom of the case to put on her necklace. What you propose is keeping the whole case intact and installing an eye bolt (?).

Exactly right, ireckon. I wear a necklace of a length of paracord with a photon on it. A tiny ferro rod would be a nice addition but I don't want anything bigger than the photon on it because it gets too clunky. The bottom part of those match cases seem about right. I could use the dremmel to make the plastic part even smaller.

http://m1105.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/backpackjac/IMG_20120303_163251-1.jpg.html

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 08:44 PM

Hey Cauldron. I'm not sure. I have a ton of them and just called the ranch and had someone look it up for me. It may have been an old catalog. I'm real sorry I was'nt any help. I'll try harder in the future. Sorry again.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 09:14 PM

Hey not your fault. And you've been a lot of help even if you just proved that their not around anymore. I guess I'll have to take a look at the K&M match safes though I'm not too keen on two o rings and a piece of string to keep it shut.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/04/12 09:43 PM

The closure on the K&M is quite secure. The kind of force that would accidentally open a K&M would give you much greater problems than merely lighting a fire.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/05/12 05:31 AM

Thanks for the reference; that is a very interesting site with an interesting product. I'll probably be ordering form them soon.

You mentioned tying one of the Firesteel toggles into your shoe laces and I wonder if that is always a good idea. Doe you run a chance of starting a fire inadvertently if you keep a steel in that location where it can be moving and hitting things, possibly creating sparks?

You have to strike it vigorously with something sharp to get sparks. It's not inconceivable I guess, but it's hard to imagine it happening. That's one thing to keep in mind, as well- you do need something to strike it with. A knife is great if the spine is sharp. Probably a multitool would have something. It needn't be steel but it does have to be hard and sharp.

You could easily keep that little toggle on a keychain or in anything with laces. One thing I should mention is that if you use it enough to wear all the coating off then you have to be mindful that it doesn't corrode. Not that it's a huge issue, just something to keep an eye on.

I'm a big fan of Ron's firesteels. I have at least a dozen, probably more. Recently I bought 3 of the toggles, two plain ones and one of the magnesium ones with a 'steel glued to it. They're not as easy to strike as a longer one would be but they do put out good sparks. Probably my overall favorite one for hiking and camping is the GobSpark Armageddon FireSteel with the Super Palm striker. The 'steel snaps right into the striker, protecting the rod and giving you a striker that fills the hands and makes lighting easy with winter gloves on. Right now I have three in red and one in black. No affiliation to the company, I'm just a deleriously satisfied customer. So few products give you much more than your money's worth, but these are one of them.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/05/12 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
No thanks to Phaedrus, now I have to spend $33 dollars on a firesteel, the NanoStriker XL. I just noticed it looking at the match case.

The Nanostriker XL looks very cool. I did see a video review on youtube where the smaller version snapped off pretty easily in normal use. But the XL uses a 1/4" thick 'steel so it should be fairly robust. I like the idea of it since the tube helps protect it from corrosion. Just because I'm a Firesteel.com fanboy I'll probably buy one of Ron's tubes but I'm also seriously thinking of a NanoStriker XL.

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Thanks Phaedrus! That looks like what keving uses on his paracord bracelet. It could make a nice button for the new wool blanket poncho I'm working on...

Yeah, that sounds pretty cool. I'm not very handy with sewing/modding clothing- I take it a "toggle" is meant to be like a button? Kind of like an overcoat would have?

I'll have to seem if my mom can suggest a way to incorporate one into an article of clothing for me. She's an expert at sewing.

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/05/12 12:42 PM

Dang it, ireckon- I guess we're even. I hadn't noticed the XL version of the Striker til you pointed it out, but I just ordered one along with a replacement 'steel. Although I'm very satisfied with my many Firesteel.com 'steels I'm always open to a new, innovative idea.

And since I had a 10% off coupon I ordered four boxes of UCO Stormproof matches and some assorted accessories...

Re: Exotac MatchCap XL - 03/08/12 08:49 AM

My Nanostriker XL showed up today! Overall it's very cool. I had to get Gunmetal because Orange was out of stock and well, I was too impatient to wait! grin The ferro rod is smaller than most of my Firesteel.com models but it throws good sparks. The build of the XL is very impressive, and it works quite smoothly. I had a 10% coupon for Exotac so I bought an extra refill rod, another refill for my MatchCap XL and four more boxes of UCO matches while I was at it.