Help finding a study bible?

Posted by: dweste

Help finding a study bible? - 02/23/12 01:53 AM

Looking for a study bible, old and new testaments, annotated by those who follow Islam and the Koran. I already have a start on the "people of the book" who all claim Abrahm as their ancestor with Christian and Jewish annotated study bibles. Anybody know what will fill this bill?
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Help finding a study bible? - 02/23/12 02:04 AM

Not a bible, but it might help. Only .75 cents used... http://product.half.ebay.com/Differences...135&tg=info
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Help finding a study bible? - 02/23/12 03:12 AM

How about- Paganism in it's Prime by Yuful Yousef wink
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Help finding a study bible? - 02/23/12 03:14 AM

Dunno if it's what you're looking for, but I use E-Sword. Free download and has a lot of addons and different versions for download.

http://www.e-sword.net/

Re: Help finding a study bible? - 02/24/12 02:34 AM

I would like to gain some insight on the thinking and world view of the Islamic world. The bible woud provide a known context and basis for comparison.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Help finding a study bible? - 02/24/12 06:42 AM

I think the challenge with this type of resource would be the quality of the commentary. I frankly wouldn't expect such a commentary to provide a really good look at either Jewish or Muslim beliefs.

I mean a Jewish commentary on the New Testament would be like a Christian commentary on the Qur'an ... the commentary would either be written by someone who has rejected the authenticity of the books they are commenting on or by someone who accepts the books in some fashion contrary to the orthodox beliefs of their group. On the other hand, while a Muslim commentary on the Bible may be able to provide some insight on their beliefs, it would necessarily either be written from the viewpoint that the texts are corrupt and untrustworthy or from a viewpoint that likely wouldn't represent traditional, orthodox Muslim beliefs.

My initial thought on how to achieve what you are describing would be to get a trusted commentary from each faith group using their accepted texts and try to learn about their beliefs that way. For example, at one point I selected The Meaning of the Holy Qur'an as a potential resource for learning more about Islam, but I never got around to that study.

The other approach would be to read some of the material written by Christians who have studied the beliefs other faith groups; one online resource for this is CARM.

Re: Help finding a study bible? - 02/25/12 03:48 AM

The groups seem to share what is known as the Tanakh or the Old Testament, even though they differ in their translations and the meaning of those provisions. I am ignorant about how Islam views those translations or has its own, but would like to know. Even different Christian study bibles offer interesting contrasts from one another.
Posted by: LED

Re: Help finding a study bible? - 02/25/12 03:58 AM

The Harper Collins Study Bible is what I used in college religious studies classes. Quite useful and very informative.
Posted by: Denis

Re: Help finding a study bible? - 02/25/12 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By: dweste
The groups seem to share what is known as the Tanakh or the Old Testament, even though they differ in their translations and the meaning of those provisions. I am ignorant about how Islam views those translations or has its own, but would like to know.

My understanding is that while Muslims accept a common history (e.g., Adam, Abraham, etc.), they claim the Bible (OT & NT) has been corrupted and the Qu'ran is the only trustworthy scripture that exists today.

That said, I haven't studied Islam much so I'd encourage you to continue looking into it for yourself.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Help finding a study bible? - 02/25/12 03:03 PM

You might wish to peruse the anthropological literature, which should be relatively objective. I am not familiar with that area, so I am afraid I can't be more specific.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Help finding a study bible? - 02/25/12 04:37 PM

If you have a university campus near you, you might want to do some reading in the library. Comparative religion studies in an academic environment typically take a broader perspective, based more on scholarship and less on partisan points of view.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Help finding a study bible? - 02/26/12 12:53 PM

http://www.interfaith.org/
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Help finding a study bible? - 02/27/12 10:10 PM

I agree with dougwalkabout regarding the university library. Get a library card from them. Then when you come across a book you would like that your local college does not have, they can book-loan it within the university system. You have a great opportunity to get your eyeballs on some really great texts. I thing to remember about cultural studies- it is better to read the writings a native of the culture than an "exocultural expert". Have fun.