Your prep goals for the year?

Posted by: Bingley

Your prep goals for the year? - 01/21/12 03:28 AM

What do you plan to do to get more prepared this year?

There are many things I'd like to do, but I'm staying realistic. My goals for this year include:

1. Get healthier. 'Nuff said.

2. Update emergency food supplies. My old plan was to rely on a combination of freeze-dry meals and canned, ready-made food. My body can no longer handle much of that, alas. (I cannot tolerate some commonly used ingredients in the food industry like soy-derivatives and high fructose corn syrup.) So I'm looking for recommendations for storable foods with only one ingredient (or at least with very few ingredients). Thus far I've come across only a few possibilities. ShelfReliance.com makes freeze-dried broccoli, chicken, etc. I'm also looking into canned meats (Yoders, Keystone). Any ideas? (Edit: I'd appreciate recommendation for retail sources, brands, & products. Thanks!.)

3. Take a course in first aid. I'm looking into the Red Cross first aid/CPR/AED course (6 hours total), or the 3-credit semester-long course at the local college. I'm also thinking about getting some training for handling gunshot wounds, with the eventual goal of learning to assemble and use a blowout kit.

4. Maybe get a HAM license. I'd like some way of communicating with the outside world when the cell phone towers are down, when the power outage knocks out internet, etc.

What about you?
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Prep goals for the year - 01/21/12 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Bingley

2. Update emergency food supplies. My old plan was to rely on a combination of freeze-dry meals and canned, ready-made food. My body can no longer handle much of that, alas. (I cannot tolerate some commonly used ingredients in the food industry like soy-derivatives and high fructose corn syrup.) So I'm looking for recommendations for storable foods with only one ingredient (or at least with very few ingredients). Thus far I've come across only a few possibilities. ShelfReliance.com makes freeze-dried broccoli, chicken, etc. I'm also looking into canned meats (Yoders, Keystone). Any ideas?

We stockpile some of the usual: dry beans and peas, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, flour. Peanut butter, jam, canned meat and salmon, tuna packs etc. We keep a stockpile (and use daily) Wasa crispbread as a substitute for soft bread. All of this gets used regularly and replenished when it goes on sale.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Prep goals for the year - 01/21/12 11:52 AM

http://www.survivingeconomiccollapse.net/my-goals-for-2012/

Re: Prep goals for the year - 01/21/12 12:00 PM

I just liked and copied that link

Mine is a loooong list
Losing weight and shaping up for starters

Would love to take a "72 hour test" somewhere with nothing but my 72 hour bag. But that is easier said than done. Family life, family needs. Big Sigh !
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Prep goals for the year - 01/21/12 12:32 PM

Bingley... got most of my trauma supplies from Chinook Medical...did some gun work for a returning SF Medic and he gave me an SF tourniquet, and a short lesson on the hemostatic gauze and compression bandages...
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/22/12 11:27 PM

Cool thread... so I gotta respond (in no particular order). This list is quite doable.

1. Buy more gold and silver.
2. Tinker with my alcohol and wood stoves.
3. Buy more canned goods for storage.
4. Take the unrestricted firearms course along with the hunter safety and then the restricted firearms course to finally get my RPAL. (March-April)
5. Buy more gold and silver.
6. Go hiking more this summer.
7. Go fishing more this summer.
8. Tinker with more receipes.
9. Lose 10 lbs.
10. Change my escape ladder to a 3-storey version instead of 2-storey (the shorter one doesn't reach the ground!)
11. Did I say buy more gold and silver?
12. One more vehicle payment next month so after that I plan to pay down the mortgage.
---
13. Play around with a e-tool to make snow shelters, etc.
14. Load up my smart phone with more survival hints and reading.
15. Add to my outdoor clothing collection (actually done since I placed the order last week!)
16. Finally get around to buying that kayak I've always wanted!

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/23/12 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
4. Take the unrestricted firearms course along with the hunter safety and then the restricted firearms course to finally get my RPAL. (March-April)

There is a free online hunter's ed course with approval in some states. If you need a certificate, however, you will have to pay $15 or so. If you want the knowledge for knowledge's sake, then you can take the course for free. The course isn't long -- it's like a short book. There are interactive quizzes. You take a multiple choice final exam at the end. I thought the course was OK. It made me realize I just didn't want venison badly enough that I'd go through all that trouble.

There are also in-person courses. If they're anything like the online course, I don't think it would be worth the trouble to go in person.

What's RPAL?

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/23/12 12:35 AM

This actually belongs in a separate thread but...

Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/23/12 01:02 AM

RM. I deleted my post above so we Gold discussion to a separate thread if you are feeling sporting.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/23/12 01:13 AM

I'll be reading Cody Lundin's two books. I may even read Stay Alive! Survival Skills You Need by John D. McCann.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: LED

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/23/12 01:35 AM

Weed out some old gear. Improve my cooking skills. Improve my wild edibles knowledge. Go camping more often.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/23/12 03:00 AM

Get fit - Signed up for an "extreme body shaping" class and have survived week 2 of 10 so far. I needed this since I have been unable to push myself enough to get back into something approaching reasonable shape. Probably continue with a year membership after week 10.

Get Financially Fit - Get rid of some credit cards and get back on a budget that is living below my means.

Update / add to just in case food supplies - especially for my son's heavily restricted diet.

Keep reading these forums and "stealing" everyones good idea. smile

Thanks all,

- Eric

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/23/12 03:49 AM

I'm referring to the Canadian firearm safety courses. You can't buy/trade firearms and ammo without them and I figure its about time to get legal. smile
Weekend courses usually mixed with the Hunter Safety course. Written and handling components. I could probably do a challenge on the PAL course but since I have little experience with restricted arms I figured it would be a nice to have.
PAL - Possession and Aquistion License (shot guns and rifles)
RPAL - Restricted Possession and Aquistion License (handguns and some semi-autos)

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/23/12 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
I'm referring to the Canadian firearm safety courses.

Ah, I see. Sorry for being American-centric. I guess the hunter's ed course I mentioned won't apply, at least not for official purposes.

For defensive use of firearms, I find formal training (beyond safety courses) to make a big difference. Places (in the US) like Gunsite and Yavapai offer good training, but are not cheap.
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/23/12 04:25 AM

My prep plans are to work on improving fitness.

Has anyone here successfully completed the '100 push up' program? I thought I saw a thread here once...

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/23/12 07:23 PM

No problem. Easy assumption to make since 95% of the members are American. smile
Posted by: Jesselp

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/23/12 09:54 PM

Seems pretty common around here, but my big goal for the year is fitness.

As I mentioned in a post a few months back, a Crossfit box opened near me back in October and I joined. I love it.

I've managed to loose 15 pounds so far, which puts me below 200 pounds for the first time since early 2005 (I'm 5'9''). More importantly, I am stronger, don't get winded nearly as quickly, and generally just feel better. (My wife seems pleased with the way I look, too!)

Right now, I'm trying to come up with a nutrition plan that I can stick with long term that will not have me balooning up again.

I figure there's almost nothing I can do that will help me survive anything (or just survive longer in general, for that matter) than getting in better shape.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/24/12 01:34 PM

Downsize the amount of junk I own.
Posted by: Finn

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/24/12 03:29 PM

1. Increase wild edibles knowledge.
2. Practice fishing & snaring.
3. Get CERT-certified.
4. Teach more skills to my children.
5. Camp for 72+ hours with the Evac ruck.
6. Increase stockpile of freeze-dried foods.
7. Save for an AR-7.

Finn
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 01/24/12 04:16 PM

-first aid - CPR recertification (done)
-take wildereness first aid course
-fully stock pantry
-buy new used vehicle
-spend more time hiking, canoing and camping as a family
-take the family portaging
-keep teaching basic skills to DS
-try something new on every outting (I.e. shelter, fire, food, cooking methods)
-reorganize the household storage areas
Posted by: Krista

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 02/02/12 09:46 PM

Hi All. Hope you’ve been well. I thought that this 2012 prep goals thread would be a good one for me to try to boost my involvement in the forum again.

My first goal is to reorganize our supplies. With the recent departure of one of our teens (current usmc boot camp recruit), we now have an empty room. Converted to a man cave for the darling husband, I am claiming the decent size closet is as our “prep central”. Our gear and food supplies are currently scattered in whatever space is available, which drives me crazy. Plus, I’ve already lost two jars of my emergency peanut butter to the sweet teeth of my peanut butter cookie loving family. wink

Reorganizing will also consist of inventorying and rotating stock. Stock rotation is another goal, I need an actually system in place, instead of randomly assessing expiration dates whenever I get bored.

My goal for the weekend is to assemble our BOBs. I’ve had this project on the table for a year, and I AM going to get it done this weekend. I will also be creating my vehicle “get home” bag. The gear is ready, I just need to organize.

Family hiking trips, with our BOBs. Part of an overall fitness plan, this I hope will help us build some endurance. I realized this was important when I loaded up a backpack with a crapload of arms supplies for a record day at the range. That experience made me realize that we should really get used to carrying a LOT of weight.

Finally, I want to start learning some basic skills that could prove useful. I need to recertify for CPR, and I would like to find some sort of first aid (wilderness?) classes to take as well. There’s lots of other stuff I want to do, but this is getting long, so I'll restrain myself and stop here to spare you all!
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 02/03/12 07:06 PM

Welcome back! It sounds like you have some great goals in mind. Keep us apprised of your progress.

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 02/04/12 05:08 AM

Quote:
Signed up for an "extreme body shaping" class and have survived week 2 of 10 so far

Eric and all. Forgive me if I sound a abit negative or alrmist. We have recently lost a colleague and loved friend when he was jogging. He ALWAYS pushed himself to the limit. He jogged and bicycled for 10-15 miles DAILY regardless of the weather. He got a heart problem a few years back and almost died. He recovered but this time it was the real thing.

Sorry , but I wanted you to be careful.
Visit a doctor before you do anything extreme.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 02/04/12 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Quote:
Signed up for an "extreme body shaping" class and have survived week 2 of 10 so far

Eric and all. Forgive me if I sound a a bit negative or alrmist. We have recently lost a colleague and loved friend when he was jogging. He ALWAYS pushed himself to the limit. He jogged and bicycled for 10-15 miles DAILY regardless of the weather. He got a heart problem a few years back and almost died. He recovered but this time it was the real thing.

Sorry , but I wanted you to be careful.
Visit a doctor before you do anything extreme.

No need to apologize.

Everyone should see a doctor regularly and check with them before starting a new workout program. I did check with my doctor and also checked out the workouts before starting. If you have known health issues you should pay even more attention to your choices regarding your health.

My doctor just recently cleared me to start more strenuous activities after an abdominal surgery last year. Well, actually, I was not only cleared but encouraged to do something to improve my fitness level and strengthen my abdominals. We discussed several options (running isn't an option for several reasons) before picking this one and I had a complete physical and full set of lab tests before starting. We also have a followup appointment scheduled 5 weeks into the program to see how things are going.

I have just finished week 4 and this has been a challenging and rewarding fitness class for me. It is focused at changing how you live and has a complete nutrition plan and a workout plan that combines aerobic kickboxing and resistance training. The instructors have been great and provide a good balance of motivation and encouragement.

I don't see the workouts as that extreme but they are challenging. I suspect the extreme refers to the mental and physical transformations that occur when you get a more balanced approach to nutrition and fitness in your life. The nutrition plan and workouts have had a noticeable impact during these four weeks. I have gotten a lot stronger (well, regained a lot of lost strength) and regained a reasonable level of endurance.

Thanks for sharing your concern and reminding all of us to make good, healthy decisions.

- Eric
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 02/04/12 02:13 PM

I was fortunate and got into situations where I was encouraged to exercise regularly and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Looking back, and reading the now routine advise to stay active, I am glad I did. Don't get me wrong; I am far from perfect. DW is on my case to trim down my gut and she is right. I have a well developed sweet tooth.

Definitely consult with your doctor. Every choice in life involves risk, but the odds are with you if you remain vigorous.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Prep goals for the year - 02/05/12 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

2. Update emergency food supplies. My old plan was to rely on a combination of freeze-dry meals and canned, ready-made food. My body can no longer handle much of that, alas. (I cannot tolerate some commonly used ingredients in the food industry like soy-derivatives and high fructose corn syrup.) So I'm looking for recommendations for storable foods with only one ingredient (or at least with very few ingredients). Thus far I've come across only a few possibilities. ShelfReliance.com makes freeze-dried broccoli, chicken, etc. I'm also looking into canned meats (Yoders, Keystone). Any ideas?

We stockpile some of the usual: dry beans and peas, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, flour. Peanut butter, jam, canned meat and salmon, tuna packs etc. We keep a stockpile (and use daily) Wasa crispbread as a substitute for soft bread. All of this gets used regularly and replenished when it goes on sale.

All good ideas. Don't forget unusual (to Americans) staples: rice, couscous, corn, barley, etc etc etc. Look up gluten-free diet websites for probably dozens of other stable grains.
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 02/11/12 01:15 AM

I plan to do a 50km Survival Hike in the Rockies this Spring with only a light weight pack.

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 02/17/12 04:24 AM

Self check-in after 1.5 months.

My goals for this year include:

1. Get healthier.

Working on this. Doctors, gym, etc.

Quote:
2. Update emergency food supplies.

Am testing canned foods. Will put up a review (with photos!) probably in a month.

Quote:
3. Take a course in first aid.

Still at the planning stage, though by good luck I got some rudimentary training in handling gunshot wounds, and even walked away with half a kit.

After reading about Blast's recent experience with a blackout, I am beginning to think about improving my backup power. Right now I have plans only for powering my smart phone via a battery charger. Everything else seems like a luxury (computer, wireless router, going to bed with the wife early, etc.). Perhaps something like the Xantrex PowerPack, though it's hard to justify the hit on my budget.

Also looking into the wife thing. I didn't realize that was an essential part of power outage preparation.

Another idea is equipping myself with a heat source (such as a catalytic heater) for an extended power outage in winter. Now, since I live in an apartment, the indoor temperature will be acceptable for a few days. After that, winter clothing plus a sleeping bag should keep me going a bit longer. I could also camp out at my office (large employer, own generators, massive buildings). Some of my co-workers did that when their neighborhood lost power for two weeks. But it may be time to start thinking about a room heater than runs on some sort of canned fuel. Of course, in another month or so we'll be coming out of the thaw.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 02/17/12 04:45 AM

My current goal by the end of the year is to have 3 months of water and 3 months of long-shelf-life food and building a dedicated prep room during our remodel. I will be buying some other things - shorter-term stuff to rotate through. I'd also like to pick up an M-4 and shotgun to have around the house.

Probably also going to try to pull off installing a tornado shelter due to the insane amount of those we've had here and had a lot of friends end up with damage from them.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 02/17/12 04:56 AM

Re heater - you'll want to avoid anything that burns fuel indoors...
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 02/17/12 05:05 AM

Definitely. I run a Portable Buddy heater in my tent when camping in cold weather, but it's made for that, plus my tent is well vented.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Your prep goals for the year? - 02/17/12 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: BruceZed
I plan to do a 50km Survival Hike in the Rockies this Spring with only a light weight pack.

Where's the "Like" button? Seriously, pack a camera and bring us along.