Butane Adapter WARNING

Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Butane Adapter WARNING - 01/17/12 02:27 AM

Cheap canister gas. Sounds nice, yes?

I mean in warm weather, why not just use those cheap 100% butane canisters? All you need is a little $5 adapter off eBay, right?

Well, yes, but use it wrong and that little adapter could cost you big time.

So what are the issues? Can it be used safely? I cover this in my Butane Adapter WARNING post on my blog.

HJ
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Butane Adapter WARNING - 01/17/12 03:55 AM

That pickup tube inside canister is sneaky, had me scratching my head when my tripod style adapter didn't work with PR without flare up until you told me about it.

Although once known it gives some interesting options for intentional liquid feed, even in warm weather those canisters will cool down enough to not vaporize well after a while of use.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Butane Adapter WARNING - 01/17/12 03:56 AM

Eyebrows? We don't need no stinkin' eyebrows!

Connections are always the weak link, especially when temps drop. "Do not disturb" is always the best policy.

I assume propane/butane fuels south of the '49th also have "artificial skunk" (mercaptans) added?
Posted by: fooman

Re: Butane Adapter WARNING - 01/17/12 03:59 AM

Thanks for the warning Jim. Hope your eyebrows are ok smile

Re: Butane Adapter WARNING - 01/17/12 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Although once known it gives some interesting options for intentional liquid feed, even in warm weather those canisters will cool down enough to not vaporize well after a while of use.
Yes. If you have a stove that can handle it and you're careful, there's no reason not to deliberately feed liquified gas into the burner. Just make sure your stove is warmed up and has a pre-heat mechanism.

HJ

Re: Butane Adapter WARNING - 01/17/12 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I assume propane/butane fuels south of the '49th also have "artificial skunk" (mercaptans) added?
Yep.

HJ

Re: Butane Adapter WARNING - 01/17/12 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: fooman
Thanks for the warning Jim. Hope your eyebrows are ok smile
No eyebrows were harmed in the making of this blog post. smile

HJ
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Butane Adapter WARNING - 01/17/12 04:38 AM

Jokes aside, it's a good warning.

Liquid fuel into a vapour burner is bad news.

I remember a warning some years ago, where 20 lb. propane cylinders used for agricultural marking had been illegally rerouted to the civilian (BBQ) market. These had an internal tube to the bottom of the cylinder. The result was a flood of liquid propane into the burner, and when you hit the igniter ... holy cr@p!

Re: Butane Adapter WARNING - 01/17/12 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Jokes aside, it's a good warning.

Liquid fuel into a vapour burner is bad news.

I remember a warning some years ago, where 20 lb. propane cylinders used for agricultural marking had been illegally rerouted to the civilian (BBQ) market. These had an internal tube to the bottom of the cylinder. The result was a flood of liquid propane into the burner, and when you hit the igniter ... holy cr@p!
That was about my reaction about a minute before I snapped this photo:

That photo was taken after things had settled down.

Liquid feed into a gas burner is nothing to mess around with. Make sure one's stove is up to the task.

HJ
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Butane Adapter WARNING - 01/17/12 07:26 AM

That's what we call a "Home Guard bonfire" around here - because no one can make a huge fire ball like a cold and coffee thirst home guard reservist who has spent at least 15 years to forget all he ever learned about stove operation....

Buthane is outside my comfort zone (and not suited at all for my climate zone) - but learning more about exotic fuels and stove operation is always great fun cool
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Butane Adapter WARNING - 01/17/12 05:37 PM

i had sort of the same thing happen the first time i used a Gaz burner.i thought it would be like the white gas stove i used only cleaner and safer.i was sitting down with the stove on my knee and hit the piezo lighter and then tipped the stove forward as i was setting it on the ground,it shot out a blast of flame rather than the nice blue one i expected.it settled down to burn right when the cart was flat on the ground but it was a lesson learned.it was not something i had thought about because the other gaz stove i used sat flat on a table in a car camp when i used it.

Re: Butane Adapter WARNING - 01/17/12 07:03 PM

Yipes! That could have been a very permanent lesson! Glad nothing serious happened.

HJ