New Year's Resolutions

Posted by: chaosmagnet

New Year's Resolutions - 01/01/12 04:38 PM

I'm not big into New Year's resolutions but I have some goals for 2012 that are related to being equipped and prepared, so I thought I would share them here.

• Update and expand written emergency response plans and checklists, with an eye to providing my wife with guidance if I'm not available.
  • Get back into regular physical fitness training.
  • Seek to improve my first aid knowledge, probably with a Wilderness First Responder class.
  • Continue to take the family camping at least a few times each year.
  • Buy a PLB or an InReach, or alternatively rent an Iridium phone for our out-of-cell-service camping and hiking destinations (one of our favorite locations has coverage from a popular ham radio repeater, so that may end up being an exception).
  • January marks my annual Full BOB Disassembly and Reassembly Procedure. I've added a few things in 2011 (thanks, guys!) and it's gotten a bit heavy and hard to pack. I'm going to reduce redundancy in a couple of areas and see if I can't get weight and space a bit more under control.
  • Run our credit reports from one of the three credit reporting agencies every four months (you're entitled to one free report per year from each agency in the US). I already found some minor discrepancies left over from a previous identity theft attempt that I'm working to clean up.

Any goals for 2012 that you want to share?
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: New Year's Resolutions - 01/01/12 04:49 PM

Happy New Year all!

Great list Chaos! I think mine's going to look similar, with the additions of:

-continuing to encourage DS's outdoor and survival interersts, using his enthusiasm to improve his skills and teach him new ones.

-improve the health of our family vehicles, either continuing to upgrade parts or the entire vehicle(s) when it's financially feasible

-rotate and restock the home pantry with non-perishables

-get a cell phone
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: New Year's Resolutions - 01/01/12 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I always find myself at a loss for resolutions...

I can get behind both of those goals laugh.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: New Year's Resolutions - 01/02/12 12:53 AM

I'll settle for being able to make resolutions in 2013....
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: New Year's Resolutions - 01/02/12 02:29 AM

My resoulutions for 2012:

1. Be more attentive and caring to those I love.

2. Be more open minded, even with folks I fundamentally disagree with.

3. Continue/expand my exercise program.

4. Eat less junk food and sweets.

I believe I already do a fair job of no's 1-3, but I want to do better than just fair. Number 4 is my weakness, and I have much room for improvement there!