The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera

Posted by: Hikin_Jim

The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 09:53 PM

OK, if you're interested in traveling light, there's more to it than just the weight of a stove. You have to consider your entire cooking set up. And of course, it's really sweet when everything nests together inside a small lightweight mug type pot. So, the inevitable question is: Just how small is it? And will it fit in my particular set up?

I thought I'd take out a few of my mug type and other small pots and give it a go. And just for comparison's sake, I throw in a PocketRocket just to see if the MicroRocket really is any better. Join me as the MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera

HJ
Posted by: hikermor

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 10:06 PM

Nice article, Jim. How much room does the PRII provide in a mini-Trangia? That has been my setup for solo trips for several years now with the classic PR. The canister goes elsewhere and I toss the original windscreen designed for the Trangia (unless I am using the Trangia stove rather than the PR). I have room for tea bags, lighter, condiments and the pot lifter and the aluminum foil windscreen along with the burner head. I also slip in a light plastic cut down bowl (Glad variety, I think) that perfectly fits the contours of the mini-Trangia bowl. The neat thing about the mini is the snap on lid/fry pan that holds everything solidly.

The condiments, mostly Constant Comment tea bags and sugar, are essential. What is the use of a cook set and stove if you can't make a nice cup of tea? - hmm, I think I will go brew one up now....
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 10:20 PM

Thanks Jim. That was an informative article on the size testing.

Although I currently don't have any size issues with the Pocket Rocket with the pots that I use. However, I can still see size and some space saving value in the smaller Micro Rocket stove and look forward to obtaining the stove in 2 weeks.

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 10:25 PM

Hikermor,

Well, to be honest, I don't know for sure. I've only tried it out on the four pots shown.

However, since it worked in a 550ml*, 780ml, and an 850ml pot, I'm pretty confident that a MicroRocket and a 110g canister of gas would fit in the 800ml, particularly with the very sensible proportions of the Trangia 28's pot.

I think 750ml to 800ml is a pretty safe bet with the MicroRocket unless a particular pot has odd proportions. If one were interested in a smaller pot, I'd say "try before you buy."

HJ

*It was marginal but workable in a 550ml pot.

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

Although I currently don't have any size issues with the Pocket Rocket with the pots that I use. However, I can still see size and some space saving value in the smaller Micro Rocket stove and look forward to obtaining the stove in 2 weeks.
I don't think that suddenly the PocketRocket has become a piece of junk overnight, but I like everything I've seen so far on the MicroRocket. It really looks like MSR has done their homework.

Please note that all my remarks are preliminary at this point. I've only had the stove in my hands for two days now. I need to go out and beat on it and see if I can break it, er, I mean carefully test the stove in realistic field conditions. wink

HJ
Posted by: Russ

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 10:30 PM

No doubt this will save me some real estate in my Camelbak Rim Runner based GHB. How well does the MicroRocket /PRII fit in the Snow Peak Ti 700 mug?
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

I don't think that suddenly the PocketRocket has become a piece of junk overnight, but I like everything I've seen so far on the MicroRocket. It really looks like MSR has done their homework.

Please note that all my remarks are preliminary at this point. I've only had the stove in my hands for two days now. I need to go out and beat on it and see if I can break it, er, I mean carefully test the stove in realistic field conditions. wink

HJ

I agree and I have always said that the original PR is a great stove and the new MicroRocket will make a nice companion piece for my smaller kits.

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
No doubt this will save me some real estate in my Camelbak Rim Runner based GHB. How well does the MicroRocket /PRII fit in the Snow Peak Ti 700 mug?
Russ,

I know my gear closet must seem to be infinite based on my posts, but truth be known I don't own every conceivable pot and pan made for the outdoors. No, really!

The SP700 is one I lack. Unless you want to mail me a mug for test fitting, I'll have to beg off on that one -- although if I were a betting man, I'd probably put money on the SP700. The SP700's proportions should allow it to hold a MicroRocket and a 110g canister, but I haven't tried it.

HJ

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 11:17 PM

I can assure you that the original PR fits just fine in a SP 700 mug. I would say that the PR II could swim laps in one.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 11:18 PM

I've got Peak 1 Micro Stove Jim. Do you have any idea how it compares? I almost never use it but am considering adding it to either my GHB or office BIB. Of course the other kit will probably kit a new stove....
Posted by: Russ

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 11:53 PM

lol smile I thought everyone had a Snow Peak 700 wink
I'll find out how it fits when I get my MR/PRII, maybe next week.

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I can assure you that the original PR fits just fine in a SP 700 mug. I would say that the PR II could swim laps in one.
Definitely enough room. The question in my mind is whether or not you can fit both a MR and a 110g canister in the SP700. I bet you can, but as I say I haven't tried it.

HJ

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
lol smile I thought everyone had a Snow Peak 700 wink
I'll find out how it fits when I get my MR/PRII, maybe next week.
OK, everyone,

It's time for a letter campaign. Everyone write to Snow Peak and let them know that poor, deprived Jim only has one warehouse full of gear, not two, and ask them to send me "one of everything." wink

HJ

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/30/11 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I've got Peak 1 Micro Stove Jim. Do you have any idea how it compares? I almost never use it but am considering adding it to either my GHB or office BIB. Of course the other kit will probably kit a new stove....
I think I do know the one. I'd say that the MR is quite a bit more compact. The way that the pot supports of the MR rotate around is pretty cool, and they really do fold up small.

HJ
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/31/11 03:04 AM

To add one more data point, PR will fit into a primus 1L eta pot on top of a canister so this will surely does, although I'm worried about the poky pot supports on PR scrap off the non-stick coating when bumped around.

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/31/11 03:14 AM

In a 1L pot, you could keep the little midget MicroRocket in its case or wrap it in a bandanna or something. A 1L pot ought to have room to spare.

HJ

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/31/11 03:31 AM

Send me your MR and I will be happy to try it. You don't have an SP 700 mug? I thought you were well equipped, Jim. Another illusion shattered...

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/31/11 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Send me your MR and I will be happy to try it.
That's what we like about you, hikermor. So giving. lol.

HJ

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/31/11 03:44 AM

No sacrifice is too great for The Cause....

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/31/11 06:34 PM

We've been half jokingly referring to the MicroRocket as the PRII. Maybe we really shouldn't.

Quick, what's MSR's high end, lightweight gas stove? They haven't got one (before the MicroRocket).

They're not replacing the PocketRocket; they're filling in a hole in their product line.

For those who want a more entry level, low price point stove, there's the PR. There's no indication that they're discontinuing the PR. For those who want something nicer, more durable, lighter, and more compact, there's the MicroRocket. MSR has just entered the high end market space that stoves like the the Soto Micro Regulator, the Primus Express, etc. have occupied unchallenged (by MSR) so far.

At first, when I viewed the MicroRocket as a PocketRocket II, it almost didn't make economic sense. But if one views it not as a replacement for the PocketRocket but rather as a new addition to the line up, I think it's a shrewd move by MSR. They mean to compete.

HJ

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 12/31/11 07:32 PM

Son of Pocket Rocket? (SOPR)

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 01/01/12 05:53 AM

lol.

HJ
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 01/10/12 01:13 AM

It's very light weight. But what about the size, how does the size compare to the Optimus CRUX?

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera - 01/10/12 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
It's very light weight. But what about the size, how does the size compare to the Optimus CRUX?

Jeanette Isabelle
The Crux is slightly more compact, but I didn't find that it made any practical difference.

HJ