Generators

Posted by: StevenJ

Generators - 11/22/11 05:48 AM

This is my virgin post. I am in the process of purchasing a Pleasure Way Traverse (Ford 250 van converted to pop top camper) I want to purchase a generator. I am looking at a 2000 watt. I have seen a few different models. One being sold out of a container behind a body shop Chinese built. However I have a friend that has a Honda and is very happy. Other models are less expensive but I am inclined to purchase the Honda for quiet and reliable. Thoughts on Generators??
Posted by: dweste

Re: Generators - 11/22/11 07:11 AM

Sorry I do not speak generator, but welcome aboard!

Re: Generators - 11/22/11 08:19 AM

It might be helpful to know something about the requirements of the vehicle electric system. Are there any warranty considerations? What electrical items do you want to power? Does the manufacturer have any suggestions or cautions?

Sorry, I do not know enough to suggest more specific parameters to look for that might indicate a good-better-best generator solution.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Generators - 11/22/11 09:33 AM

Honda has a great reputation for quiet and reliable. It sounds like a better bet than a no name.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Generators - 11/22/11 11:58 AM

Honda generators are expensive, but they are excellent. You really can't go wrong with them. Especially if you want something as quiet and reliable as possible. Honda generators also put out a very pure sine wave, important for sensitive electronics (like computers).

Another good option is an off-brand generator with a Honda engine. It's not going to be as good as a 100% Honda generator (or as quiet), but in my experience they at least tend to be reliable. I wouldn't trust them to run sensitive electronics though.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Generators - 11/22/11 12:49 PM

I also have heard great things about Honda generators.

I have a Coleman 2KW generator that I have been using for about 12 years. Heavy, Noisy, but never a problem. The key is regular maintenance and proper storage. Usually proper storage revolves around not storing it fueled and frequent oil changes. Whatever brand you decided on, follow the maker's instructions as to storage, oil changes etc. There are many treads here about generators, and one recently devoted to generator maintenance; the search function should bring them up.

Good Luck and welcome!
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Generators - 11/22/11 02:35 PM

Welcome aboard!

My CERT has a Honda EU2000i. It sees a lot of use with our highway department when we're not using it. It's lightweight, relatively quiet, puts out clean power and is very fuel-efficient. If you won't be running a load bigger than its capacity, it's hard to come up with anything that might be better.

As bws48 says, maintenance is key. Read the manual and follow its instructions rigorously. And please don't run it indoors.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Generators - 11/22/11 04:53 PM

One bit of advice I've received regarding keeping a generator running well is to use Stabil all the time, AND to start it up and let it run for a good long time on a monthly basis (I do it at the end/beginning of every month).

After being without electricity for almost a full week last summer I purchased an ETQ 7250 Watt (30 AMP) generator from the local Home Depot. It was almost surely made in China. It had the option of installing a battery to use an on-board starter. Finding a battery was a bit of a pain - the web was helpful for that. The instructions for installing it was really poor, but I took a guess based upon the provided battery harness and it worked fine. Have to say I LOVE the electric start feature. So far, so good.

BTW, the thing is a beast. Heavy. It took two beefy people to put it in my truck and to get it back out. It rolls around on large pneumatic wheels and has a large handle to pull/push, but if I have to roll it very far its work. It came with a metal coat hanger looking thing that hooks onto the frame and lets me lift it with my tractor's front end loader, but I haven't used it ... yet. Keep the weight and portability in mind when you buy.

The generator has a feature that auto-controls the engine speed based upon the electrical demand. This feature can save a ton of fuel AND can keep the noise level down. Make sure your generator has that feature.

A good friend of mine bought a generator with a Honeywell label and an engine by Honda label. It looks AMAZINGLY like my ETQ generator. Even looking at the shape of the engine block, the engine oil port, the engine mounts, the frame, etc ... The electrical outlets were different though - I like the ones on my ETQ better.

One last thought ... generators tend to be pretty loud - loud enough to anger the typical camper if running too much.

Good luck on your search!
Posted by: StevenJ

Re: Generators - 11/22/11 05:20 PM

Thanks all for the great ideas and the welcome. I am going to go with the Honda. Thanks too for the reminder about careful maintenance. Keeping my equipment in good condition is a priority.
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: Generators - 11/22/11 06:08 PM

I have the Honda 20001.

I keep the gas fresh and the oil clean. A new plug every year.

It works great and is quiet.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz

Re: Generators - 11/25/11 05:14 AM

@StevenJ: let us know how it works out!
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Generators - 11/29/11 08:45 PM

Honda, Honda, Honda and Honda.
If you're not sure, get a Honda.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Generators - 11/29/11 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK

The generator has a feature that auto-controls the engine speed based upon the electrical demand. This feature can save a ton of fuel AND can keep the noise level down. Make sure your generator has that feature.

DO NOT - I repeat DO NOT use engine auto-controls with a modern "energy saving" refrigerator.

I learned a $1,460 lesson in the hurricane Irene blackout. My relatively young refrigerator automatically enters a "low energy" mode that draws just enough to keep things cool (especially overnight when the door isn't opening and closing) and that "just enough" isn't quite enough to pull the generator out of "resting" mode - which means that the generator is putting out about 55 volts, at a lower than normal frequency (about 35 hz) and this killed my fridge motor. It didn't happen all at once, and the power was back on before we noticed that things were melting.