Fruit Cake Secrets

Posted by: bacpacjac

Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/17/11 03:02 AM

So the powered foods thread has me craving fruit cake. Tastes delicious but it also seems like it could be a good survival food. I never thought of it that way before. I've got some tins to store it in but are there any other tricks to storage for non-immediate consumption?

I've also never made one before. Any secrets to share - chefly, survival guruish, or otherwise?

Thanks!
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/17/11 06:09 AM

Whatever you decide to add to your fruitcake,make sure any nuts you add are roasted/candied beforehand,otherwise they will be the 1st thing to go bad,rather quickly.I suggest roasting pecans & walnuts in Danish Butter & Canuckian Grade-B dark amber maple syrup,then add them(if by chance there are any left,lol!)thru-out the fruitcake and Especially on top,then douse the wholething with more Canuckian grade-B dark amber maple syrup,then take bets on how long such will last for non-immediate consumption!The cake part is basically a Pound cake made with blackstrap molasses in lieu of sugar. grin
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/17/11 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
So the powered foods thread has me craving fruit cake. Tastes delicious but it also seems like it could be a good survival food. I never thought of it that way before. I've got some tins to store it in but are there any other tricks to storage for non-immediate consumption?

I've also never made one before. Any secrets to share - chefly, survival guruish, or otherwise?

Thanks!

One method to ensure non-immediate consumption of fruitcake, is to not invite me over. Good fruitcake is one of my favorite indulgences. Please do not share this secret, as the holidays are coming up soon!

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/17/11 12:45 PM

"Canuckian" - I LOVE that. Thanks for the tips Richlacal. Those sound yummy!

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/17/11 12:48 PM

LOL! Me too Byrd. Seems like everyone falls into the "Love it" or "Hate it!" camp, with no in-between. I'm firmly with the Love its! Especially dark cake and full of nuts and fruit.
Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/17/11 05:11 PM

ideal survival foods do not make you thirsty after eating them. This is one reason why boat rations are popular.

ideal survival foods also provide a wide range of nutrients. You need potassium, magnesium, salt, vitamins, etc. - another reason why boat rations are popular. Whatever food you pick needs to be somewhat complete.

I don't eat fruitcake. I fall into the "hate-it" camp, so I can't say whether it makes you thirsty or not - maybe someone else can comment further.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/17/11 06:33 PM

put lots of dark rum into it,for a preservative of course...
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/17/11 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

Yes, that's one of the best (or worst) kept secrets of the holiday fruitcake experience. A dark fruitcake, not too sweet, must be cured by dousing liberally and regularly with brandy, dark rum, or (some say) good bourbon whiskey. I believe it is tradition for the keeper of the fruitcake to participate in this dousing ceremony, while addressing the fruitcake in the manner of a Scotsman with a haggis (sword optional).

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/17/11 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

Yes, that's one of the best (or worst) kept secrets to the holiday fruitcake experience. A dark fruitcake, not too sweet, must be cured by dousing liberally and regularly with brandy, dark rum, or (some say) good bourbon whiskey. I believe it is tradition for the keeper of the fruitcake to participating in this dousing ceremony, while addressing the fruitcake in the manner of a Scotsman with a haggis (sword optional).

LOL! I love the way you guys think!
Posted by: bws48

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/17/11 11:27 PM

Good dark fruitcake. . .

Must be made with old fashioned blackstrap molasses and dark rum. Daily spray or brush with more rum to keep moist.
Serve by itself (normal folks), or, for the decadent, with real whipped cream (no spray can stuff allowed), or for the truly decadent, with vanilla ice cream.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/18/11 12:17 AM

Wow! I just learned something new today. There ARE people who actually like fruitcake! sick

I always believed what my grandmother once taught me, "Sonny, there are actually only seven fruitcakes in existence worldwide. And they keep getting recycled and given as second-hand gifts over and over each year. These original seven have been circulating since before I was born."

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/18/11 01:24 AM

LOL@ haertig! My dad says the same thing after he's had a few too many pieces soaked in brandy. wink
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/18/11 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Thanks!
Fruit cakes also make good weapons. wink

A thread on fruit cakes. I love it. smile

HJ
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/18/11 02:01 AM

With all the alcohol that apparently is a key ingredient, is there a possibility that fruit cake could also be fuel?

"Throw another fruit cake on the fire, honey..."

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/18/11 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
With all the alcohol that apparently is a key ingredient, is there a possibility that fruit cake could also be fuel?

lol.

I'm going to design a fruitcake stove. wink

HJ

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/18/11 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Fruit cakes also make good weapons. wink

HJ

LOL!

A combo of little cake, trail mix and alcohol, the stays good to eat for a long time and can be used as a weapon. Why not?!

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/18/11 02:22 AM

lol.

HJ

ROTF!!

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/18/11 02:28 AM

lol.

HJ

Oh, the humanity ... ! shocked
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/18/11 04:11 AM

All that good Rum all gone

Why is the rum always gone?
Capt Jack Sparrow
Posted by: MarkO

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/20/11 04:24 AM

My Mam makes Christmas Pudding that keeps at room temps for over a year. I think there is whiskey in it and/or brandy. I'm not sure. It's wonderful with custard over it.
Posted by: Aussie

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 11/21/11 03:50 AM

Clearly a thread on fruit cakes, by fruit cakes ! lol

There are fruit cakes and fruit puddings and both will keep well.

Be careful with nut selection, because many types will go rancid with long term storage. When this happens the cake can still be eaten, but its not very nice. We had this happen once, so we crumbed it and picked out the nuts. When its covered in hot custard and cold ice cream, you can’t see what it looks like !

I think that walnuts are one type of nut that keeps fairly well, but I’m sure someone here will know for sure. Of course you could make a cake without nuts and that will solve the issue.

DW often makes a big batch and wraps them in al foil for storage and they seem to keep for over a year without any problem. Using tins should be fine too, just keep them dark and cool. In the fridge is OK too.

A fruit pudding, warmed by the fire and topped with a carton of custard and tub cream is a great winter camping dish. Top tip: bring paper bowls to eat it out of.

So you asked for the secret to a a good fruit cake recipe, here's one which DW makes and gets many requests DW does usually make her own orange peel too), and the recipe is a secret, so don't tell anyone .. well don't tell anyone else ... unless they ask ... so the rest of you can stop reading now OK .. unless you want to read on, that is !

(See how sneaky I’ve been and changed the name to “Aussie’s” xmas cake to protect it)

Aussie’s XMAS CAKE – double quantity
500 grams butter
500 grams brown sugar
8eggs

1cup treacle
2 cups wholemeal flour
2 cups white flour
2 bare tsp bicarb
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp nutmeg .
(more figs if liked) .

1kg seeded raisins
1 kg currants
350 grams mixed peel (or homemade candied orange peel)
½ cup brandy, rum or sherry
1 cup nuts – almonds, brazils

Optionals:
3 T Parisian essence
2 T cocoa
2 T strong black coffee
2 t vanilla essence
1 C chopped prunes and/or figs Can add glace cherries if liked
Can soak dried fruit in port or brandy for a few day before making

Cream butter and sugar and beat in treacle.
Add eggs and beat well.
Sift dry ingredients.
Add dry ingredients gradually to fruits.
Stir in brandy.
Line tin with greased brown paper.
Bake in moderate oven. Time for half this quantity is 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
Can put a couple of tbsp brandy on top when it first comes out.

= = = = = = = = = = =
HOW TO MAKE Aussie's CANDIED ORANGE PEEL

 Orange peel is candied or crystalised by being cooked in concentrated sugar syrup until tender and translucent.

 Candied orange peel must be made at least 1 day before it is to be used.

 Once made, it makes a tangy addition to cakes such as fruit cakes, sienna panforte and chocolate or plain pound cakes.

Ingredients:

• 2 medium oranges
• 200g caster sugar
• 250 ml water

(This makes enough to flavour one cake. I usually make a larger batch by multiplying the quantities several times).

Method:

1 Score the orange peel length wise into quarters (or segments) using a small knife, then strip away the peel and pith with your fingers.

2. Cut the peel into 5 mm wide strips using a chefs knife.

3. Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan until dissolved, then bring the syrup just to the boil. Put the strips of peel into the syrup.

4. Press a circle of baking parchment over the peel and weigh it down with a plate so the strips are immersed in syrup. Heat the syrup slowly to a simmer, taking 10-12 minutes, then poach until tender to the bite (about 1 hour).

5. Remove the pan from heat and allow the peel to soak in the syrup at room temperature for 24 hours.

6. Transfer the peel to a rack placed over a tray and leave to dry for 3-5 hours.
(Or use it immediately without drying if you can adjust the recipe to accomodate the additional moisture and sweetness from the syrup).

7. Chop the candied peel finely before adding to cakes.
Depending on the cake, you may wish to reserve several pieces for decoration.
Posted by: leemann

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/04/11 06:58 AM

Where can I buy the cheapest fruitcake.

Lee

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/04/11 08:34 AM

Originally Posted By: leemann
Where can I buy the cheapest fruitcake.

Nowhere on this thread, sir.

@Aussie: thank you for the recipe, and apologies for the radio silence. In a word: magnificent.
Posted by: stargazer

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/04/11 08:38 AM

Bacpacjac,

Here is the recipe that I use (very similar to one Alton Brown used on an episode of Good Eats)

Fruit Cake

Ingredients
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup currants
1/2 cup sun dried cranberries
1/2 cup sun dried blueberries (optional)
1/2 cup sun dried cherries
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
Zest of one lemon, chopped coarsely
Zest of one orange, chopped coarsely
1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped
1 – 1 ½ cups good dark rum (e.g. Meyer’s dark)
1 cup sugar
5 ounces unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)
1 cup unfiltered apple juice
1.5 teaspoons Vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon Almond extract (optional)
4 whole cloves, ground
6 allspice berries, ground
1 teaspoon apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice whichever you prefer.
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
¼ cup each toasted Walnuts – broken, slivered almonds
Good Brandy/Cognac for basting (e.g. Martell)

Directions - Heat oven to 325 degrees
Combine dried fruits, candied ginger and both zests. Add rum and macerate overnight, or microwave for 5 minutes to re-hydrate fruit.
Place fruit and liquid in a non-reactive pot with the sugar, butter, apple juice and spices. Bring mixture to a boil stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for at least 15 minutes. (Batter can be completed up to this point, then covered and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before completing cake. NOTE: This last step is critical, so please don’t forget)
Combine dry ingredients and sift into fruit mixture. Quickly bring batter together with a large wooden spoon, then stir in eggs one at a time until completely integrated, then fold in nuts. Spoon into a 10-inch greased and floured or use a non-stick loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Check for doneness by inserting toothpick into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done. If not, bake another 10 minutes, and check again. Remove cake from oven and place on cooling rack or trivet. Baste or spritz top with brandy and allow to completely cool before turning out from pan.
When cake is completely cooled, seal in a tight sealing, food safe container. Every 2 to 3 days, feel the cake and if dry, baste with brandy. The cake's flavor will enhance considerably over the next few weeks. You can vacuum seal this. They also freeze well too.

Take care,

Stargazer

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/04/11 02:09 PM

Sitting here hungry* with cup of hot coffee. This thread is pure torture. I would give my kingdom for a slab of real fruitcake right now.....

*Note: as you can see by my avatar, I usually can find plenty to eat :-)
Posted by: bws48

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/04/11 04:55 PM

OK, I'll throw Grandma's recipe into the "mix."

Ingredients:

Step 1

1 cup dark raisins
¾ cup sugar
½ cup shortening
1 cup dark rum
1 ½ cup water
½ cup dark/blackstrap molasses
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp salt

Step 2
2 tsp baking soda

Step 3
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped (glazed) citrus fruits
3 ½ cups flour

Step 1:
Boil all step 1 ingredients for 5 minutes. Let mixture cool until it is warm to the touch.

Step 2.
Mix the baking soda with a little water and add to mixture.

Step 3.
Mix the glazed citrus fruit with a little flour so it doesn’t stick together.
Add the walnuts, fruit and flour and mix.
The mixture should be dark, thick, almost pudding like.

Line a ring pan (the kind with a hole in the center, e.g. a bundt pan) with wax paper.
Pour in the mixture.
Bake in a 350 degree oven. Check in one hour for doneness with a toothpick. Done when the tooth pick come out dry.

Let cake cool before removing from pan and Store in a sealed container. Lightly brush top daily with dark rum to keep cake moist.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/05/11 02:58 AM

Those of you who don't like fruitcake (poor things!), it's probably because of the inclusion of a nasty ingredient called citron. So, if you want to try again, check out the ingredients list.

Why does Leemann want a 'cheap' fruitcake??? I'm suspicious... Is he going to use it as a weapon? Firestarter? Bad joke? Doorstop?

Sue
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/05/11 12:25 PM

Just after last Christmas fruit cake was half price in the supermarket. Watch out for it on your 'who blinks first' Christmas eve shopping trip :-).
If you are in the UK british army 'rich fruit cake' that was in the 10 man ration packs when I served is tinned, so has a shelf life of decades. And is excellent.
qjs

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/05/11 11:31 PM

DW got to Christmas cooking yesterday, here's her results:

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/06/11 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Aussie
DW got to Christmas cooking yesterday, here's her results:

Simply fabulous!

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/06/11 02:58 AM

mmmmm.... can't wait to bake with the kids this weekend. I'm down to only a few bites left of my first efforts.

Thanks for the recipes gang!
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/06/11 06:31 AM

We gotta' nickname ya' "Awesome Aussie" because that is just Simply Awesome! wink

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/06/11 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
We gotta' nickname ya' "Awesome Aussie" because that is just Simply Awesome! wink

Thanks, but its not my work, its all DW, she's the Awesome cook !

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/09/11 05:17 AM

lol.

HJ

Will pound cake do?, Have a bottle of Everclear that should work for the stove.

Lee

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/09/11 12:56 PM

I love the way we think around here!
Posted by: Pete

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/11/11 05:01 AM

I've been off this forum for a while ... but this is a subject that is near and dear to my heart :-)

Thanks to those readers who posted recipes - I will try them out.
I thought the photo of the fruit cake on fire was pretty unique ... didn't even know that was possible.

Maybe Myth Busters need to be shooting fruit cakes from cannons, instead of real cannonballs?! It might be slightly less hazardous :-)

Pete #2
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/27/11 11:09 AM

Just back from my local supermarket (Sainsburys) and their srcrumptious christmas fruit cakes are half price.
I notice it's not by stick on yellow stickers, but the barcode has been changed so it might be a chain wide move.
qjs

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/27/11 02:18 PM

Thanks for bumping this thread Joey. DS and I are going hiking today and were just figuring out what food to take. Fruit cake will go nicely with turkey stew, gingerbread and hot chocolate for lunch.

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/27/11 04:18 PM

Yum!

HJ

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 12/27/11 09:20 PM

Christmas gift exchange with the siblings: got a bag of coffee beans from one, and a fruitcake from another. They were both gone as fast as a minnow swims a dipper!

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 01/04/12 03:30 AM

Must have been a slow news day at the BBC:
http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20111218-worldwide-weird-colorados-annual-fruitcake-toss

Worldwide weird: Colorado’s annual fruitcake toss

The 17th Annual Fruitcake Toss, on 14 January, offers a full day of dessert-disposing competitions. The original event, the basic “Fruitcake Toss”, gives contestants the chance to physically throw a one pound fruitcake as far as possible.

The “Fruitcake Launch”, a separate competition held on the same day, allows contestants to use mechanical devices, pressurized air guns and cannons to launch a two pound confection across an empty field in hopes of earning the coveted trophy and bragging rights for farthest travelling fruitcake. A team of Boeing engineers holds the current record of 1,500ft, breaking their own previously set record of 1,450ft just last year."

Spinoff competitions include “Catch the Fruitcake” ...

(Hopefully they're not catching the ones from the Boeing boys. Talk about weaponized fruitcake! A prototype crowd control device perhaps? We have fruitcake and we're not afraid to use it!)

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 01/06/12 02:53 AM

lol.

HJ

I tried the stove idea using pound cake. Results the alcohol burns quickly not getting the 16 oz of water to a boil.
The pound cake burned real good and would have the water boiling had I not put it out.

Lee

Re: Fruit Cake Secrets - 01/07/12 01:40 AM

Only on ETS.

I think you need to put the fruit cake in a smaller diameter tin. This will concentrate the flames, facilitating boiling.

HJ