Two new leatherman Multitools

Posted by: Frisket

Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/13/11 06:52 AM

Apparently they have been out for 3 or more months but this the first time I seen them.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Wingman

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Sidekick

I purchased the wingman from Home Depot for 24$ my only complaint is the combo edge (now the only one I own and prolly will ever own. besides this its a great little knife with a interesting package opener that works with just abit more elbow grease then expected tho it is safer then flailing a knife threw a package.
Posted by: LED

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/13/11 07:49 AM

Thanks for the heads up Frisket. The Wingman is just what I was looking for. And the right price too!
Posted by: Cauldronborn2

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/13/11 09:42 AM

Does the knife blade on the wingman lock?

EDIT: just looked again at the website, "All Locking Outside Blades". That should teach me not read through things first.

Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/13/11 01:49 PM

I bought a Sidekick. It feels solid and well-made, with good ergonomics for the pliers in particular. The knife blade was way too stiff to open one-handed, but I lubed it and backed out the pivot screw a hair and now it's just right.

The leather pouch it comes with sucks. Other than that it's perfect for an entry-level mid-size multi that won't break the bank for a gift or for bringing it where it might get lost or damaged.

No affiliation other than owning too many.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/14/11 02:22 AM

Thanks guys. I'm looking for a decent entry level multi-tool for my nephew and these may fit the bill. I've got a Gerber spring-action one but wouldn't gift one because the spring action is just too clunky. I love my Kick and my Fuse and was thinking about one of those.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/14/11 02:27 AM

I'm in agreement with Izzy. The Fuse is my go-to multi-tool now. Simple, not every tool but the tools in it are the ones you use. Excellent entry level MT.
Posted by: LED

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/15/11 02:49 AM

Just received the Wingman. Basic but very nice. Only time will tell, but it seems capable of doing almost everything my Charge TTi can do. (the Wingman scissors are much better IMO) I paid $24 at Amazon.
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/15/11 04:38 PM

I find that most of the tools on multitools don't get used that much. If I have a serious job to do, then I go to my tool box and get a real tool. The main advantage of multitools, IMO, is to be able to do a few simple tasks with what is on my belt. I use the pliers the most, followed by the screw drivers. I rarely use the knife blade, because I always have a better knife in my pocket.

I'm a keep it simple kind of guy. And as I get older, I find I like to keep things lighter weight. Since I rarely use most of the saws, files, scissors, etc on the more elaborate tools, those features are just excess weight to me. Therefore, the multi tool I keep handy, and use occaisionaly, is a simple one. I like the plain old basic Leatherman Kick.

Your mileage may differ. smile
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/15/11 04:48 PM

I basically agree with your points. A multitool is for occasional use. When you really have an extensive job, you need to get real tools. Over the years, my multititool, usually a Wave, has saved me a lot of time and effort, and averted at least one potentially disastrous situation (clearing entangled rope from a fouled prop on a dinghy that was drifting into rocks). I don't mind the weight of a Wave in normal everyday use. I do consider a lighter tool (I also have a Kick) if I am hiking and overall weight becomes more significant. The pliers are the most useful tool on the multitool. I switched to Leatherman tools in 1985 when I saw my first PST, giving up the SAK that I had been carrying before then.
Posted by: airballrad

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/15/11 05:48 PM

I am a bit of a multitool fanatic, of Leatherman tools in particular. I picked up a Wingman a few weeks back, and have since bought five more (as gifts). It is indeed an entry-level tool aimed at those folks who would normally pick up a cheap knock-off multi because they don't want to spend $50 or more on a high-end genuine article.

The difference is that the Wingman is USA-made (for those to whom that matters) and the usual 25-year Leatherman warranty applies. It (arguably) has all the tools of the Kick and Fuse plus some others that they don't, and comes in at a lower price (unless you find one of the older tools on sale). The fit and finish is not as polished as on their more expensive models, but the tool still feels very solid.

Leatherman is also driven to innovate; they sat on their laurels with their early models long enough that Gerber, SOG, and a few others were able to elbow into the market and they're trying to keep the upper hand. Competing in the lower-end tool market means they're not only getting a piece of that pie but making a good impression for the buyer that chooses to upgrade in a few years.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/15/11 07:12 PM

Over the years I've narrowed the tools I want on any multitool down to these:

Pliers
Wire cutters
Scissors
Saw
Knife
Can opener
Screw drivers

Any MT that lacks any of those isn't something I consider for general purpose use. Anything beyond that list that is gravy or dead weight, depending on point of view.

The saw servers two purposes: One, the LM saws(and SAK saws) are good for odd finicky jobs in weird angles and tight corners, as well as backup tools for small jobs when you can't be bothered to fetch real tools.

Secondly, a saw is extremely helpful for wood processing in a wilderness survival scenario. To me, that function is very important.

The pliers, wire cutters and scissors are used A LOT. So are the screw drivers.

The knife isn't used a lot, which means it stays sharp. A decent (and sharp!) backup knife is important, at least to me.

Can opener makes life easy wherever there's canned food.

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/15/11 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Pliers
Wire cutters
Scissors
Saw
Knife
Can opener
Screw drivers

Good list.

A bottle opener is darn handy; the LM multis I have all have combined bottle/can openers.

I've used the file enough in the field to come to really appreciate having one; I won't consider a multitool "serious" for my purposes unless it comes with a file. I've used an awl enough to like having one of those around as well.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/15/11 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

A bottle opener is darn handy; the LM multis I have all have combined bottle/can openers.

Ah, that is a little pet trick of mine: I open bottles with (almost) ANYTHING at hand: PET bottles, knives (the spine, not the edge), snuff boxes (delicate, but can be done with JUST the right technique), lighters (OK, but wear out quickly), fire extinguishers and the unopened multitool itself.

For me it is far quicker to open the bottle with the closed multitool than to flip out the bottle opener.

This little trick isn't difficult: Your left hand firmly closed around the bottle neck creates a pivot point and the whatever-that-has-a-hard-enough-edge object held in your right hand act as a lever (wikipedia). But it takes a bit of practice to get the feel of it, and apply the force in just the right direction.

The trick is also dependent on the glas quality of your local brewerey. Glas bottles of poor quality may chip or break easily if the cork is flipped off by unorthodox application of force. Where I live we use bottles that are required to be washed and refilled maybe 20 times before being remelted. Those bottles are pretty robust.

I've used the file enough in the field to come to really appreciate having one; I won't consider a multitool "serious" for my purposes unless it comes with a file. I've used an awl enough to like having one of those around as well.

A file is pretty darn hard to substitute, so if you need one you really want one. But after 15 years or so of MT use I haven't used the file. Ever. No matter how hard I try to justify it being there "just in case" I can't come up with a sound reason for being on my "required" list. Your mileage obviously differ.

I haven't used the awl either (or perhaps I have, once or twice, or my friend did - can't remember right now). But if I need an awl I think I usually will be able to do without or improvise.

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/15/11 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
.... I do consider a lighter tool (I also have a Kick) if I am hiking and overall weight becomes more significant.....
This may be shocking to some, but the truth is, I rarely if ever carry a multitool when day hiking. When back packing I might carry one, depending on the trip and what other gear I have along, and how far back in the boonies I'm going. On the other hand, when sea-kayaking I always carry small but fairly complete repair kit, which includes a leatherman and a very small crescent wrench.

When deciding whether or not to carry tools, my approach is to look at what stuff I have, and try to imagine what tools I might need to keep that stuff functioning. It also depends on how remote I'm going, and how critical it might be to do field repairs. If I'm dayhiking, I usually don't have much gear with screws, bolts, or whatever, so why carry a screwdriver and pliers? I can manage most forseable jobs with a pocket knife. If backpacking, I might conceivably need to fix a stove or metal tent pole or something, so I might carry a leatherman. On the other hand, my sea kayak has some bolts etc on the rudder assembly, and I also have stoves, tents, etc, so a few tools might be necessary to effect a repair. Carrying a bit more weight is not such a big issue on my kayak. And I sometimes kayak places where it could be crucial to be able to do field repairs.

That's just my approach. I've been knocking around in the mountains and on the water for my whole life and it has worked for me so far (and I'm now past the Big Six Oh shocked ). Others may have different approaches, and that's cool. Whatever works for you! smile
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/15/11 10:55 PM

One of the things that immediately attracted me to my first Leatherman was the pliers. I had been carrying a separate pair of pliers on many of my trips, and especially SAR callouts, specifically to open jammed locking carabiners, so the first L-tool was a giant step forward,slimming down my minimalist tool kit.

Your approach is disgustingly rational.:) I find that these days, more often than not, I am riding my touring bike. Around bikes, having a good multitool is very handy. Deep in the woods, there is less need. One tiny exception-pliers are great for pulling cactus spines.

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/15/11 11:05 PM

One tiny exception-pliers are great for pulling cactus spines.

I've pulled out more splinters with Leatherman pliers than with tweezers.

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/16/11 02:20 AM

One tiny exception-pliers are great for pulling cactus spines.

I've pulled out more splinters with Leatherman pliers than with tweezers.

Not too many cactus spines in Alaska where I hike! smile (Except on those infrequent occasions when I get an opportunity to travel to the SW USA.) The tweazers in my FAK usually handle slivers pretty good. But whatever works for you...works for you. smile

Posted by: Denis

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/16/11 06:16 AM

I find the Skeletool to be the perfect combination of tools for me, everything I want and nothing I don't. But I find I'm less and less likely to bring it into the woods with me. For that I am now likely to turn to my SAK to go with my fixed blade.

I do figure there is the possibility of needing the pliers for gear repair, so I added a tiny no-name multitool to my altoids repair kit.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/16/11 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Over the years I've narrowed the tools I want on any multitool down to these:

Pliers
Wire cutters
Scissors
Saw
Knife
Can opener
Screw drivers

My requirements are similiar.

For urban EDC in decending order of importance
*Scissors
*PE blade
*2-3 sizes of flat screw drivers
*Phillips screw driver
*Awl or other pokey tool
*Can/bottle opener

For a bug out bag tool(s)
*PE blade
*Scissors
*Can/bottle opener
*2-3 sizes of flat screw drivers
*Corkscrew
*Saw blade
*Serrated blade
*Phillips screw driver
*Awl or other pokey tool
*Pliers
*Wire cutters capable of handling 9 gauge steel(chain link fence)

Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/17/11 01:35 PM

The leatherman wave weighs one ounce more then the two new tools being discussed, and has all the tools anyone has mentioned, except an awl. For weight and tool selection the wave still rules.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Two new leatherman Multitools - 11/17/11 05:52 PM

I've been very adverse to MT's. I have a LM Micra somewhere (note to self, go find it) and a LM Kick. Got issued a gerber when I went overseas, which is now in my wife's car. I carried my kick the entire time. Also currently carrying a Freestyle that I got as a gift last year. Pliers and a partially serrated blade only. Heavy as crud. If it wasn't a gift I would never have bought it.

Oh yeah, need to send the Kick in for warranty - chipped the flathead screwdriver.