Crossfit

Posted by: Jesselp

Crossfit - 11/08/11 10:21 PM

So, I've decided to get serious about getting into better shape. After spending the past two years trying to get myself off of blood pressure medication unsuccessfully, I noticed that a new Crossfit gym was opening less than ten minutes from my home. I figured that doing things on my own was not working, so why not try group classes with Crossfit?

I've been going for three weeks now, and holy cow! I've never worked harder in the gym in my life. My wife thinks I've joined a cult, but she's already noticed changes in the way my body looks.

So far, I'm a satisfied customer. Anyone else have experience with the Crossfit program, or suggestions for how I can get the most out of it?
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Crossfit - 11/09/11 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Jesselp
So, I've decided to get serious about getting into better shape. After spending the past two years trying to get myself off of blood pressure medication unsuccessfully, I noticed that a new Crossfit gym was opening less than ten minutes from my home. I figured that doing things on my own was not working, so why not try group classes with Crossfit?

I've been going for three weeks now, and holy cow! I've never worked harder in the gym in my life. My wife thinks I've joined a cult, but she's already noticed changes in the way my body looks.

So far, I'm a satisfied customer. Anyone else have experience with the Crossfit program, or suggestions for how I can get the most out of it?

No experiences, but a few friends anecdotally LOVE it. I've thought about it but just difficult to get there consistently. Plus the gym is free ...
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Crossfit - 11/09/11 02:33 AM

It looks like I could seriously hurt myself doing CrossFit at 38 years old!
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Crossfit - 11/09/11 02:36 AM

Getting into better shape is a good idea for many of us. It's not a bad idea to talk to your doctor before starting any new exercise routine.

Re: Crossfit - 11/09/11 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
It looks like I could seriously hurt myself doing CrossFit at 38 years old!

Well, I'm 38 as well - 39 in December. I'm far from the fastest through the workouts, and I try to listen carefully to what my body is telling me, but so far no injuries.

I am on the older side of the folks at the gym. (I have no idea how these kids afford it - it was a major budgetary decision for me to join. But then, I suppose they have no mortgage to pay or kids to feed!) There is, however, a 65 year old woman who is a regular. She goes slow, and uses light weight, but she does the workouts!

So far, I'm really impressed with the program.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Crossfit - 11/09/11 07:24 PM

You puppies are still in your thirties? Wait a few decades and then you will know what "old" is like.

And even old need not be the same thing as sedentary - there is a big difference.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Crossfit - 11/09/11 09:25 PM

Let's just say you are still quite young. I encountered a picture of myself taken when I was twenty-eight (we did have Kodaks back then). It took me a while to recognize myself.

But yu have so much to look forward to. It will be a wonderful trip.

Re: Crossfit - 11/09/11 09:43 PM

I attribute my declining physical fitness through my 30s more to externalities than actual physical declines. I don't feel old by any means, but I have gotten noticably soft!

What I mean is that as I have progressed through life, I have gained more responsibilities (wife, mortgage, two young kids) that have left me with less time for physical activity.

There was a time when my regular Sunday morning activity consisted of a multi-hour bicycle ride, covering some 65-80 miles with friends. No way I've got the time for that now.

Couple the less activity with a diet that I adjusted less than I should have, and an undoubtedly slowing metabolism, and you get me at age 38, 30 pounds over weight, and on medication for high blood pressure.

It seems that this should be an easy "survival" project. All the BOBs, FAKs, gear and toys will not help me if I have an MI at age 45. I was inspired by Martin and his weight loss thread, but I don't have the discipline to do it on my own, so I'm trying Crossfit.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Crossfit - 11/09/11 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Jesselp
My wife thinks I've joined a cult, but she's already noticed changes in the way my body looks.

LOL, I've never done Crossfit myself, but I know where your wife is coming from. I've spent time reading Crossfit forums in the past and it does sound like chatter from cult members. They have all this jargon and everyone is practically boasting of how many times they threw up during their last workout! It's like doing penance or those self-flagellation cults or something. wink

That said, Crossfit is part of that newer emphasis on more functional strength and fitness exercises combined with the intense cardio of circuit training and that seems like a good change from more traditional cardio and strength machines. You just need to really listen to your body when starting out and not let the typical gung ho Crossfit attitude push you into hurting yourself before you've even really had a chance to get into it.

Good luck with that, BTW. If you can stick with it, you should get into great shape.
Posted by: comms

Re: Crossfit - 11/09/11 10:08 PM

Crossfit. I know as much as someone would want to know. Have fun with it, it can be a great way to get in shape. Your wife is right, it can be cult like. As long as you understand and take responsibility for your own ability to regress or progress (make easier or harder) the WOD (Workout Of the Day), you shouldn't suffer any of the common injuries associated. Maybe not my first choice for someone to begin an exercise program but in gym memberships, convenience will always trump other considerations except maybe price.

One of my workouts during the day, (I set aside 2-3 training times a day)is some version of a WOD, though not generally Crossfit as those require equipment my home or local park don't have. I either create my own or I subscribe to several companies/groups/trainers that provide free WOD for people from official Crossfit, to home based Crossfit to Special Operations specific, to Paleo fitness, to Strength yoga, obstacle racing, to functional training.

Crossfit is not a franchise, each gym location is their own business but the main company will post a worldwide WOD on their website so people all over the world can do it and post their results.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Crossfit - 11/09/11 11:16 PM

I've been curious about crossfit, and checked out crossfit.com. In their "start here!" article they point out that beginners and people not all that fit should take their time to build strength and technique before attempting the most demanding exercises.

I'm a big fan of low tech training because not being strapped inside a machine that isolates on one specific muscle group means that you activate a whole bunch of muscles required to stabilize and support the muscles that does the actual work.

I like the crossfit philosophy, but frankly I think their regime is most suited to people who are quite overall fit to begin with. People that are not so fit must adjust technique and intensity. Less fit means larger adjustments. Which is fine for some, but it does require some insight (finding substitute movements, listening to your body signals and so on). And always falling WAY behind those ultrafit cult members may be very demotivating.

One pitfall would be starting too hard: Too heavy weights, too high intensity for your own level, and not allowing for sufficient time to perfect your technique. All of which are great recipies for injuries.

If you have the mental tools for dealing with the above challenges I'd say go ahead and try it - it does sound like fun.

Not having a crossfit in my immediate neighborhood I stick with my local gym and their interval training - which is a much more limited set of excercises (burpees, plank, squat and so on) done at high intensity. Each exercise is done for a certain time period (30 or 60 seconds) before swapping to the next, no break untill you've done all the exercises in a cycle. Two minutes break, repeat. And repeat. Great overall training: Strength, cardio, coordination... For me it really has done wonders smile