FTL neutrinos at CERN?

Posted by: dweste

FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 04:08 AM

This could be big!
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 05:08 AM

Yeah, I'm gonna hold off the bubbly 'til another lab or two confirms it. This would be the biggest science news since Galileo or Copernicus!
Posted by: Bingley

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 05:10 AM

Where can I get some of them faster-than-the-speed-of-light new trinos for my PSK? wink

Da Bing

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 05:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Where can I get some of them faster-than-the-speed-of-light new trinos for my PSK? ;)Da Bing

Just look for the cold fusion vending machine.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 05:53 AM

Neutrinos must be related to bad news. NOTHING travels faster than light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.

It is possible that someone will figure out how to utilize bad news to travel faster than light - but you will extremely unpopular when you arrive...
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 12:24 PM

FTL is old news just like the requirement for FTL for the BCS (Cooper pair) superconductivity model which basically requires electron coupling and being that we are dealing with particle physicists requires a particle to have FTL for the electron coupling. Then there was the anti gravity machine in the basement of Dundee University Fulton building back in the 1980s. That was a bit of a mystery as well even more so than the cold fusion experiments.

Any way here's my simple explanation for the anomaly.

Non euclidean space time. Photons are subject to gravity interaction just as light is bent (changes direction slightly) passing by a star. Neutrino aren't hence less distance (from a euclidean space time POV) to travel means they get from A to B just a little more quickly. A particle with no mass and no charge i.e. a Neutrino. Now who ever said it was subject to the same rules of special relativity considering that particle physicists always like to make up another particle to make all the other particles interact nicely in their universe.

Now we have to suffer all the Star Trek analogies once more. wink
Posted by: bws48

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 12:32 PM

What surprises me is that the lack of coverage in US news media. 100 years of the most rock solid part of physics(special relativity) may, if this is confirmed, go down the tube.

What is especially interesting is that several years ago, an experiment at the Fermilab in Chicago came up with similar results, but these results were dismissed due to potential measurement errors and were not followed up on. Now they are.
Article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8783264/Speed-of-light-broken-an-experts-view.html

IMO, this prior result seems to lessen the chance that these new results are some sort of "cold fusion" non-reproducible result.
Posted by: bws48

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Non euclidean space time. Photons are subject to gravity interaction just as light is bent (changes direction slightly) passing by a star. Neutrino aren't hence less distance (from a euclidean space time POV) to travel means they get from A to B just a little more quickly. wink

Nice idea. Could this be verified by math?

If you assume speed of light is constant for both neutrinos and photons, and you know the amount of gravity and straight line distance traveled, I think it would be possible to calculate the travel times for the particles on the curved path (photons) and the straight line path (neutrinos), and compare this mathematical model with the observed results.

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 01:25 PM

Quote:

Nice idea. Could this be verified by math?

Probably not! (just like the damned quantum physics and electrodynamics QED ignoring the problems of fine structure constant crazy ). If it doesn't add up then the difference is probably just a measurement of the permittivity and permeability of the dark matter in the local space time vacuum, (which we cannot measure) in this part of this universe. whistle If that doesn't work then I'm pretty sure the 11th dimensional string theory boys will have it all worked out. sick

Sorry I gave up long ago wondering where the fluff in the belly button came from let alone thinking back to Sandy who built himself an antigravity machine in his garden shed.
Posted by: Russ

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 01:56 PM

wink those drugs Sandy cooked up in his garden shed would tend to make one feel lighter than air. cool

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 02:00 PM

Sandy's antigravitational machine wink

http://www.rexresearch.com/kidd/kidd.htm
Posted by: Russ

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 02:12 PM

Okay, interesting -- when will we start to see applications of this outside a research lab?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: bws48
What surprises me is that the lack of coverage in US news media. 100 years of the most rock solid part of physics(special relativity) may, if this is confirmed, go down the tube.

The LA Times featured an article on the subject prominently this morning. Most people quoted found the results highly interesting, but preliminary and unconfirmed: to quote - "the jury is still out"

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/23/11 08:28 PM

Even if these supposedly rechecked findings at CERN prove unverifiable, or whatever terms fancy physicists use for dud, the kerfuffle [sp?] caused by thinking about a new view of "what is" has been good fun! Full marks for entertainment value.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/24/11 12:32 AM

Will the Real Dr.Who,Please stand up!
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/24/11 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Will the Real Dr.Who,Please stand up!

I'm just picking nits but "Doctor" in "Doctor Who" is never abbreviated.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/25/11 03:19 AM

Being that you hail from Dallas,TX,I don't suppose y'all speak British either do ya? wink
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/25/11 04:05 AM

http://xkcd.com/955/

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/25/11 05:03 PM

Apparently the news of faster than light in a Vacuum physics caught the attention of the high frequency traders in the stock and bonds markets at Wall Street.

http://onlyusanews.com/financial-trading-at-the-speed-of-light/

apparently the 60 nanosecond advantage could give the Zombie bankers derivative crowd many hundreds of millions of USD looting profits every day.

Of course the ultimate aim is the introduction of Time and Relative Dimension in Space chameleon circuit technology to warp financial market relativity in this current space and time domain universe.

We should also remember that these guys are doing Gods work even without the discovery yet of the God particle at CERN.

The future looks bright, the future looks Dalek kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGjn47Y-MTg

This fellow took his name from the location of the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos blush

Posted by: MoBOB

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/25/11 08:17 PM

I thought his name was Davros.
Posted by: Blast

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/25/11 10:34 PM

"We don't allow faster than light particles in here!" shouted the bartender.
A neutrino zooms into a bar.
grin
-(stolen by) Blast

Re: FTL neutrinos at CERN? - 09/26/11 03:11 AM

Newton: more accurate artillery aiming.

Einstein: A-bomb, H-bomb, nuclear reactors

Blast: neutrino bombs that explode on target before you decide to send them and before they were sent?