Personal Outdoor Plan

Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/12/11 11:08 PM

Today while digging around the "net" I came across Paul Kirtley's blog.

Paul states that he is an experienced bushcraft trainer in the UK.

He and others have developed a very complete Personal Outdoor Plan (POP). This is a plan that you leave with that "responsible person" who will call 911 should you not return home on time.

Here is a link to his site.

www.paulkirtley.co.uk/resources/personal-outdoor-plan/

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com
www.outdoorquest.biz
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 12:13 AM

There are a number of similar forms for outdoor trip plans such as the example in the link above. I use a slightly modified version of this form (PDF).

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 12:27 AM

Excellent form.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 01:35 AM

These are great. Thanks guys!
Posted by: Aussie

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 02:13 AM

That's a nice outline.

When travelling, esp in the outback, I also include a description and details about the vehicles, or boats; (and some of the vehicle equipment too eg type repair, tools, spares etc)

Often searchers will start looking from your start point, so quickly being able to identify the location of vehicles is important.

Plus areial searches are common (here), so info that will help spot your vehicle from the air is useful. My vehicle has a few customizations which may assist in spotting it form a distance, or at least rule out other similar models.

I also included the colour and style of tent - to assist in recognition from a distance - "hey look there are 2 blue and one red dome tents over there ..."

or "Here is half a yellow canoe ...."
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 02:38 AM

Trip plans are a great idea. However, the problem I see with the plan linked in the OP is that it is very long and complex. It might be OK for a planned expedition, but I suspect a lot of folks would not bother doing it for a short weekend trip. As an alternative, here is a link to one posted by the Alaska State Troopers:
http://www.dps.alaska.gov/PIO/docs/WildernessTripPlan.pdf

I tend to be of the KISS mindset ("Keep It Simple, Stupid"). The short trip plan you actually fill out is infinitely superiour to the long one you meant to do...but never got around to because you were in a rush trying to get out the door!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 05:15 AM

Too long and complex...
Posted by: comms

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 05:50 AM

I like the form, its got pretty colors. otherwise and to each their own, I use a much more basic GOTWA. (got-wa)

Where i am GOING (trail, route, distance of run, etc)

Who are the OTHERS with me.

TIME we will be back or will call. (realistic, no problems time back)

WHAT i/we will do if there is an emergency (i.e. injured or lost) (stay put, or which direction we would most likely move if lost, like towards a river or main road- i.e. handrail.)

ACTIONS to take if we don't contact you or get back on time. (I usually add a few hours to my TIME estimate, then list the park office phone number, local sheriff or PD #, ph# of friends with me or there spouses at home. Think phone tree)

-------
Now, I personally write down my gear list to use as a check list as i pack my bag.Instead of throwing it away i attach it to the GOTWA.

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 06:20 AM

A quick form is better than no form, I admit I only do a detailed intentions for a big trip.

On a short trip (few days or a week) it isn't always worth much effort - after all, what could possibly go wrong ?

However this thread started me thinking about knocking up a quick Android app to automatically send an email. I could use tick boxes with my favourite options as default, add a few words and email it as I travell ..... hmmmmmm
Posted by: AKSAR

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 07:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Aussie
However this thread started me thinking about knocking up a quick Android app to automatically send an email. I could use tick boxes with my favourite options as default, add a few words and email it as I travell ..... hmmmmmm
On my iphone I have an app called "Basic GPS". It enables one to easily send an email with your current gps location, and a link to that location on Google maps. One can add a short message.

I sometimes head off to do a solo day hike, without being exactly sure when I leave home which trail I'm going to head out on. Using that app I can shoot my wife an email when I leave the trailhead. At least she then knows where the car is parked, when I left the car, and where to have SAR start searching should I not show up back at home.

The only weakness is that it only works when there is cell coverage at the trailhead, which is not always the case.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 05:46 PM

Thanks for the link for the Personal Outdoor Plan PDF. Paul Kirtley's Blog has some interesting information as well.

http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2011/dartmoor-survival-knife/

The Wilkinson Sword derived Dartmoor CSK185 Survival knife article was an interesting read as well describing Ray Mears 'Rambo' inspired design from the late 1980s. A blast from the past... blush

Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Too long and complex...

Agreed on the first sheet. The information should be on 1 sheet and concise. The time it takes to fill out all the nitty details will disuade anybody from taking a trip in the first place! Or throw out the plan and not fill it out at all.

BTW, don't forget to make a boot print on the back side of the sheet so trackers know who to look for. smile
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 05:51 PM

Quote:
BTW, don't forget to make a boot print on the back side of the sheet so trackers know who to look for.

An attached sweaty sock as well..... whistle
Posted by: dweste

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 08:22 PM

Personally, I think the major contribution is some new potential ETS acronyms!

Obviously we have "POP", meaning Personal Outdoor Plan, but what about:

"PIP", meaning Personal Indoor Plan
"PUP", meaning Personal Urban Plan

etcetera.

I expect to see a vast array of new work for Blast as the ETS community unleashes its typical unbounded clever creativity!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/13/11 08:42 PM

What fun! Personal Emergency Plan.... Personal Activity Plan....

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/18/11 02:31 PM

Well, I guess, no matter what you do, leave information with someone ("the responsible person") before you go out.

I participate in searches as a SAR team member and more often than not, the family or reporting person has little knowledge of where the missing person was going to go.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com
www.outdoorquest.biz
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/18/11 07:10 PM

before heading off on the canoe trips,two week solos,i make up a trip plan with a map of my path and expected camp sites along with photos of me and my tent and canoe and other gear,PFD,packs,tarp along with the car plate number and canoe landing parking lot .one is left at home with my wife on the dinning room table and another with a close friend who i have canoe tripped this way with before.the one on the table is left not only for her but in case something happens to her,a thought the is more of a worry that a problem out on the lakes.if the EMS show up or the police go to the house they know where to look for me.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/18/11 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

one is left at home with my wife on the dinning room table . . . in case something happens to her,a thought the is more of a worry that a problem out on the lakes.if the EMS show up or the police go to the house they know where to look for me.

A really excellent idea. One slight modification I suggest is hanging it on the front door of the fridge, clearly marked with something like "Emergency Information" or some such. Don't know about your area, but the EMS folks here tell be that is the first place they look in an emergency. You might ask the local LEO's/EMS folks where they would look to find emergency information in such a scenario. I would hate to see them walk past the dining room table just because they are not used to looking there.

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/18/11 11:02 PM

CANOEDOGS - including photos is a great idea.

"Often" SAR find a few pieces of equipment and are felt wondering who it belongs to.

I guess clearly labelling your equipment would help too.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/18/11 11:45 PM

We got a visit every night on our fishing trip this weekend because we didn't check-in when we docked. THAT'S the kind of person you want to file your plan with!
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Personal Outdoor Plan - 09/19/11 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
We got a visit every night on our fishing trip this weekend because we didn't check-in when we docked. THAT'S the kind of person you want to file your plan with!

Glad to hear that you got through your trip safe!