New Ribz front pack now out

Posted by: Phaedrus

New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 08:11 AM

Another product that I'm stoked about is the new version of the Ribz Front Pack. I have the original Ribz (with the Velcro) but after seeing some video reviews on youtube of the newest version I decided to order one. If you haven't used this pack you really should check them out; at least check out the vids of them. Very, very handy and quite comfy to wear.
Posted by: Russ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 11:21 AM

http://www.ribzwear.com/2011newrelease/
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 02:43 PM

I have the old original RIBZ front pack still in the back of the cupboard, the newer version seems to have the improvements the old version desperately required such as removing the incredibly annoying exposed hook velcro belt and noisy materials. Even then its usefulness for me is somewhat limited, the main drawback is that the front pack is quite uncomfortable to wear when fully packed out and eventually leads to overheating in warm weather and it interferes with any main pack that I have. I also don't particular like the restricted feeling it gives when wearing a backpack. For cold weather use a good jacket with large front pockets is again much more comfortable i.e. the classic British Army smock or even a Laksen Goretex Shooting Jacket.

It is also very expensive i.e. a complete Osprey LBE Assault MOLLE vest pack can be had for Ģ30.

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=20145&from=22

It does have its uses though as a cheap (expensive) and cheerful fishing vest rig.

Posted by: comms

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 04:32 PM

thanks. that was a wonderful diversion for a hour or so, going down all the rabbit holes off the main site. I have been looking at a front back for a long time, I think I looked at the original back in 2008/2009.

Looks good. I'll put this in the POSSIBLE BUY file
Posted by: ireckon

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 05:24 PM

I like the concept. One thing, the site says, "The use of a front pack repositions a portion of your weight forward..." In my mind, that statement does not give me a good visualization what is actually happening. Obviously, the pack adds weight in front of me.

However, I'm imagining my body weight is actually shifted backward to counteract the front pack. That's how it is when I wear my baby carrier, which holds my baby in front. That's what I would want anyway.

I would like to see a video of somebody snowboarding with this thing. The most comfortable set up for me while snowboarding is no gear besides my essentials (boots, shell, goggles, etc.). Anything extra requires much thought and deliberation. I don't think I'd want to snowboard with this.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 05:43 PM

I have not tried one out but it does not look like it would be comfortable for women.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Actually they're quite popular with women. If you look through their gallery you'll see that they're doable for women's frames.

I have the orange Survival Resources exclusive version which I dedicate to fishing. These front packs seem to have found two really good niche markets. Fishermen and women with babies who hike.

Case and point...

That is helpful. Thankyou.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 08:55 PM

For those that have used RIBZ:

How full can you fill the RIBZ pack? It looks like if you put too much gear in it, it would really get in the way. In other words, you probably have to keep just a minimal amount of stuff in your RIBZ in order for them to work. Maybe a PSK, chapstick, sunscreen, a PLB (something like that), and that's about it, yes?

I can't really tell: What has changed on the newest release?

Lastly: Why not just wear a fanny pack backwards and use that backwards fanny pack as your front pack? Wouldn't that be a lot cheaper? I'm not trying to knock the RIBZ pack; I'm genuinely trying to understand if the RIBZ pack offers anything I can't get with equipment I already have.

It does seem like for someone who is in and out of a vehicle a lot, that the RIBZ pack would be a great way to make sure the essentials stay with you.

Originally Posted By: Russ
Thanks for the link; that's quite a discount!

HJ
Posted by: JBMat

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 09:18 PM

I guess I'm agreeing with HikerJim. Still so not impressed. My old set of TA-50 works more or less like this. Add pouches for more stuff, I'm not talking Molle btw, I'm talking ALICE.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken, wouldn't a vest work just as well and not have all the stuff in only two pouches?
Posted by: boatman

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 10:21 PM

I think the RIBZ vest hits on a few things well.The first is (as stated)it can be worn with a pack.This is similar to what the military is doing now.The Ribz just offers a more civilian (less tactical)option of which is a second thing.The third thing is it can be loaded with vital gear in case you get seperated from your pack.Keeping in a pack with your regular gear is counter productive in my opinion.If you loose your pack from loosing footing at a stream crossing you have nothing.If canoeing and you capsize and loose your pack same thing.As our host says"if it isn't on you it can't save you".The Ribz offers a way to do just that.I would rather have more than just an mint tin of gear if Murphy's law happened on me.....

BOATMAN
John

I don't have a Ribz but have been eyeing them for a while

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 10:43 PM

Regarding the comparison to a fanny pack in the front, there are obvious differences.

A fanny pack in the front is cumbersome if you've got any activity going on that's greater than a stroll. For example, I can imagine myself snowboarding with a Ribz, even though it would not be desirable. In contrast, snowboarding with a large fanny pack in front would be substantially less fun I think.

The weight distribution is totally different. A Ribz calls for shoulder and back muscles pulling backward to counteract the weight of the Ribz. In contrast, a fanny pack is mostly supported by the hips with some input from the lower back. I think I would prefer the weight distribution of a fanny pack because hips are naturally built to carry more weight. At least my hips are. A fanny pack in front hits a sweet spot for me. I can carry weight all day right there without it fatiguing me. However, I doubt I could get as much stuff in a fanny pack, as compared to a Ribz.

I'm not totally sure about my theories here without trying out the Ribz. I'd want the Ultralight Model, but I'm not motivated to buy it right now.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
I'm not motivated to buy it right now.
For $65, I can't say I blame you.

HJ
Posted by: widget

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/08/11 11:08 PM

i have 20 years experience with either a load bearling vest (LBV) or the ALICE suspenders, belt and pouches (LBE). I can tell you that in the military you carry this for a reason, mainly ammunition and other readily available ordnance. It was always hot, uncomfortable and in the way of something. It is hard to adjust clothing, add/remove layers and did I mention it is hot?
Today's military carries ballistic vests, pouches for ammo and ordnance and puts the hydration on the back with a camelbak. It is still not comfortable and it is hot, hot and hotter.
I am completely with Jim, I use a small fanny pack in front to carry firelighter, tinder, a small light and a pocket knife. The rest of my gear is on my back in a good, comfortable pack. It can be hot too, but not nearly as uncomfortable as covering my chest and or stomach area.
Ribz for me is a silly gimmick and nothing more, sorry, not a fan. If they were the "way to go" there would be many more variations on the market. $65 closet filler.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/09/11 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I can't really tell: What has changed on the newest release?
HJ

This video review I did when I received the product some months ago, for the testing should answer your questions.

http://timbuk2andtippycanoe.blogspot.com/2011/03/ribz-front-pack-review.html

Standard Disclaimer: No affiliation with the company that produces RIBZ other than being asked to review a new product and to test it out prior to release. And don't mind the wheezing pug. He's soundtrack noise.

I've seen that video before! Nice to put a face with the name. I never put 2 & 2 together and realized that was you. Great review! I have the original Ribz and it was your vid that got me of the fence and order the new one.

What I mainly didn't like about the old one was the velcro and the "square" pockets. It could be a bit warm in hot weather but I rarely noticed (try not to hike in the sweltering heat).

I agree with Ireckon- anyone who's ever ran more than 15 steps with a fanny pack on backwards would never recommend that option! Very uncomfortable. The Ribz keeps the load tight to your body, minimizing bounce and lightening the perceived load.

Hikin Jim- I can only speak to the original but no, you don't want to overstuff it. The new version is about 100 CI larger but the pockets also see to "bellow" better. By the looks it should bear the load better.

I don't have mine yet so right now I'm just posting because I'm interested. Also, mine was only $45. Is that a lot of money? I suppose that depends. All these same arguments constantly arise at the mention of Maxpedition, Busse Combat Knives, the Apple iPad, etc etc. If it fulfills the role you want it to perform to your satisfaction, and if you're comfortable with the price, but said item. If not, choose another product.

I think this will be a good small pack for day/trail hiking. It should also be good for walking and for jogging (the latter being something I have to do more of again). It should allow me to carry a phone, wallet, flashlight and keys for urban wear (and possibly a handgun on occasion). It seems like it would be good for canoeing, boating or flying where you want to keep some emergency gear attached to one's person at all times. Lastly I think it would be a good complement to a lumbar pack.

Oh, and to Am_Fear_Liath_Mor, I give you this! Because the more I read your posts the more I think you hate everything! grin

Just giving you some crap! wink

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/09/11 02:22 PM

Good review, thanks.

Are any of the straps stretchy? Particularly the one that goes around the back, is that stretchy? And the shoulder straps are non-stretchy? Or all the straps stretchy?

HJ
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/09/11 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: widget
I use a small fanny pack in front to carry firelighter, tinder, a small light and a pocket knife. The rest of my gear is on my back in a good, comfortable pack. It can be hot too, but not nearly as uncomfortable as covering my chest and or stomach area.

Same here. I use an excellent ArcTeryx waist pouch that works great. A few tips for success with a waist pouch in front:

- Keep it small.

- Don't overload it. You've got to have the discipline to put only true essentials in there, not everything you'd want to camp with for 4 days.

- Get one whose width tapers down from top to bottom, as seen from the front. This keeps it from bumping into your hips/thighs with every step.

I have found through experience that having gear pouches up against my chest or ribs is simply too uncomfortable in hot weather. This was the case even with the small Osprey Grab-Bag pouch when mounted across my chest.

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
It is also very expensive i.e. a complete Osprey LBE Assault MOLLE vest pack can be had for Ģ30.

To be fair, you should also factor in the weight. The entire Ribz rig is listed as weighing 9 ounces. From my prior experience with MOLLE equipment, I suspect each one of those Osprey pouches weighs 5-8 ounces, and that doesn't factor in the weight of the vest platform. I bet the empty Osprey vest rig weighs more than my empty 50L Lowe Alpine pack (2.75 lbs, by the weigh...!).

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/09/11 04:06 PM

Good review, thanks.

Are any of the straps stretchy? Particularly the one that goes around the back, is that stretchy? And the shoulder straps are non-stretchy? Or all the straps stretchy?

HJ

None of the straps are stretchy. There's an obscene amount of spare strapping on the RIBZ for larger people. I'm 6'2" and I didn't even have to adjust the length on the shoulder straps and still had at least 12" of spare strapping. The back strap comes about 4' long and can be trimmed down or left alone to accommodate larger people easily.
I know I'm going to sweat underneath the RIBZ if I wear them. Do the items in the RIBZ get all sweat soaked?

HJ
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/09/11 06:04 PM

I've been trying very hard to like the Ribz: It is innovative, cool and there seems to be a lot of thought going into the construction - and high quality (it seems). I really want do dig this product...

Analyzing my ACTUAL needs was a fun excercize and with some regret led to the conclusion that it's not for me. It was a fun excersize, though - so I'll give you an outline of the process:

First: This thing would never replace my backpack. I will always prefer a backpack to this contraption. But could it possibly be a useful addition to my backpack - to make things easy accessible and move the center of gravity closer to my center line?

In the cold season, easy access to mittens, my wool buff and my cap is paramount - those things go off and on every second as I regulate temperature. The reserved place for them is the big pockets of my goretex (equivalent) shell jacket, but getting into those can be a bit of a drag when wearing a big rucksack because the way the hip and sholder straps are positioned exactly over those pockets. In many ways, that jacket is my RIBZ equivalent: 2 small pockets at the chest, 2 big pockets at the hip. The big pocket of my jacket works well with small packs, sort of OK with my biggest daypack (55 litre) and hardly at all with my biggest pack (130 litre). A big (10 litre), deep pocket that clips to the shoulder straps would be great. The RIBZ contraption is probably over-engineered for this purpose, but I could live with that.

The other thing that the RIBS could hold is my water bottle. (I stay away from Camel packs for no particular reason, they are just are not my thing).

Other items that I really don't need it for:
My map: I already have a map case that hangs around my neck and one shoulder. My GPS: I have a (custom made) vinyl pouch for that, too. It clips nicely to my map case. (I live one mile from 2 really nice one-man business shoe repair shops, one of them accepts odd custom jobs for a reasonable price). Putting the map or GPS in a RIBZ vest would be less functional, not more.

Snack? There's plenty room for that in my jacket. And a bigger meal shall be enjoyed, not gurped down on the move (meaning: Remove pack, sit down).

Mobile phone? Goes into my cargo pocket (in a water proof pouch).

Yes, a RIBZ could hold what I consider bare-bones essentials for light and fast exploring and hiking. But the truth is - I wouldn't use RIBZ for that, I would use a small daypack or hip pack.

The only situation where I see the thing as a genuine improvement for me is together with my biggest backpack, holding my water bottle plus some more (camera, snack, tools) - and having room for my mittens, buff and cap when I start sweating. But then again - the west will probably interfere with my GPS+map case, and it will be a THIRD item that I have to put on and remove. And how often do I use my biggest pack for this kind of trip? It is mostly used for hauling stuff between the car and the wilderness cabin; I don't do long stretch winter tent trips all that often....

My conclusion: I will try to find or make a pouch for my right shoulder strap, big enough for my mittens and water bottle. Something that clips on and becomes integral to the pack. Especially on my biggest pack that would be a big improvement. But the RIBZ vest is not for me.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/09/11 06:29 PM

So things like maps and notes and such stay dry in the RIBZ even if you sweat? That's pretty good.

I'm seriously tempted although certain non-male adult members of my immediate family tend to take a dim view on my purchasing more gear. I want something where I can store some items while I carry my daughter in a backpack type child carrier. I could tie things to the child carrier, but that's a bit cheesy and things tend to sway which I don't want.

RIBZ isn't perfect -- not much capacity for a longer hike for one thing -- but it might be enough for short hikes where I just want a windbreaker and a bottle of water.

Thanks for all the info. Now time for me to chew on it for a while.

HJ
Posted by: hikermor

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/09/11 08:31 PM

It is certainly useful to carry some items handy in front so that you can reach them while hiking with minimum effort. I like to stash such items in one or two pockets or pouches mounted on the pack waist belt.

I have modified nearly every pack i have owned for the last several years and have had successful results - my goodies are handy and everything is well balanced.

The Ribz looks interesting, but I suspect it is highly specialized, and not generally useful for most people.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/09/11 09:59 PM

I know I'm going to sweat underneath the RIBZ if I wear them. Do the items in the RIBZ get all sweat soaked?

If you sweat like me, your RIBZ is going to get drenched and will be musty like my athletic jock rather quickly. I'm glad you brought this up. Come to think about, I would only want to use a RIBZ in the snow or other cold environment. Unfortunately, I already established I would not want to snowboard with it. That leaves snow hiking, snowmobiling or other. I can certainly see a use there.

I've heard that 1 in 4 people sweat profusely. I'm one of these people. People who don't sweat much don't understand it. They say ignorant things like "you need to get in better shape" or "you drink too much water". It doesn't matter what kind of conditioning I have or how much water I do/don't drink. When I start to sweat, it's coming out at least 10 times faster than a person who doesn't sweat much.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/09/11 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
When I start to sweat, it's coming out at least 10 times faster than a person who doesn't sweat much.
Yep.

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/09/11 10:51 PM

How about some some 37 pattern webbing (retro chic), consisting the belt (with some nice shiny brass buckles and clip), two front ammo pouches (quiet heavy duty canvas, just use some small dry bags to keep everything waterproof) and shoulder straps. This webbing was surprisingly comfortable and really didn't lead to any noticeable overheating problems.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/09/11 11:35 PM

If you want something to carry stuff in when you're hauling a kiddo on your back a RIBZ is the logical choice. If you check out their album you'll see a few Mom's and even a Dad doing just that.
That's what caught my eye, that and the fact that it's available at a discount right now. I wouldn't even give it a second look at it's regular price.

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/10/11 12:56 AM

How large is the one you reviewed (cubic inches)? The one on sale says 700 cubic inches.

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/10/11 01:03 AM

Oh, what the heck, I went ahead and bought one. The $40 apparently includes shipping. That's not such a bad deal.

HJ
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/10/11 01:51 AM

In my never ending quest for the "right" gear, I also ordered a Ribz last night. It will be interesting to see the differing opinions and overall thoughts of the pack once a few members here have taken delivery of it and had a chance to put the pack through some real world tests.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/10/11 02:27 AM

I just "talked" to Ray (email) at RIBZ. He said he'd send out my pack in the morning. Nice service! Hope to have it by this weekend.

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/10/11 04:58 AM

I should have my new Ribz pack before long, too (ordered it a couple days ago). Maybe it will suck, and if it does I'll say so, but I look forward to trying it out. DISCLOSURE: I'm an admitted "gear [censored]" and need very little excuse to try out a new gadget. blush grin
Posted by: rebwa

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/10/11 05:40 PM

I'm tempted for $40! I'd order for certain if the smaller version was at that price.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/10/11 06:16 PM

This thread made me order one in alpine green.
55 US for inernational delivery.

Have the earlier model, did not like the velcro adjustment in the back.

Placed the order and a few hours later got confirment that it is on itīs way in the post. Very quick service indeed!
Posted by: Andy

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/10/11 06:46 PM

Oh, what the heck, I went ahead and bought one. The $40 apparently includes shipping. That's not such a bad deal.

HJ

My thoughts exactly. Mine's in the mail as I type this. I've tried bags from Civillan Lab but found the dual bag arrangment (like shoulder holsters) too small and also uncomfortable under my arms. I converted one to a chest pack which worked well but was too small for anything but a small FAK and ham HT. It will be interesting to see if the Ribz will work with my over the shoulder sling bag, or my hydration pack or my big capacity backpack or my belt mounted EDC or ...

I admit it, I'm a bag/pouch/holster/backpack junkie!

Andy

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/10/11 09:02 PM

Hopefully, I'll have mine tomorrow.

HJ

P.S. I am *not* addicted to outdoors gear.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/11/11 12:43 AM

Got mine today. Once I figure out the straps I'll give it a try.

Jim, how many stoves do you own? wink

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/11/11 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Andy
Jim, how many stoves do you own? wink
Why, "hardly any." (about 110).

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/11/11 10:46 PM

The first step is admitting you have a problem.
Problem? Who said anything about a problem? wink

Not being able to fit my favorite stove (Svea 123) into my RIBZ pack, now that's a problem. lol.

HJ
Posted by: comms

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/12/11 02:21 PM

Izzy, I watched that video that you have showing all the SAK in the clear bins. #envy

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/12/11 04:24 PM

Got my RIBZ in the mail yesterday. Fits pretty good.

Minor "complaint:" The big buckles on the straps seem unnecessary. A couple of loops would work just as well it seems like.

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/12/11 06:30 PM

I was finally able to figure out the straps and agree with Jim that the buckles don't seem to make sense. The easiest way to get it on or off is like a jacket,you unzip the unit in front (between the two pouches) and slide your arms out of the straps.

I had to singe off some loose threads but otherwise it seems well made. The curved portion of the unit at the back of the pouches allows for free swinging of my arms and it rides high enough I can reach into my pants pockets or belt mounted phone holster.

Still need to load it up and walk around a bit but so far so good.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/12/11 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Andy
I was finally able to figure out the straps and agree with Jim that the buckles don't seem to make sense. The easiest way to get it on or off is like a jacket,you unzip the unit in front (between the two pouches) and slide your arms out of the straps.
Exactly.

There's no comfort problem that I can see (I haven't tried it on with a pack yet). It's just that I can see no point to the buckles. Under what circumstances would I use them?

What I saw on the internet had loops on them, like this:

Which would allow one to attach things to the straps like this:

It's not a big deal, but it does seem like the loops would have more function whereas the buckles don't seem to have any function at all. Might shed an ounce without the buckles too.

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/12/11 09:41 PM

Man, that guy in the orange looks like Mr. Gadget! I can't imagine dangling all that stuff off of myself. Keep it simple and KEEP it. My experience has been that anything tied or clipped on will either come off and be lost or be in the way a lot.

On another note, Jim 110 stoves?? I thought I had a problem with 15 or so. You are not only an expert you are a record holder!
I am surprised that a Svea 123 is your favorite. Those that I had were way too fiddly for my taste and unreliable. I do wish I still had mine and the alpine cooket/widscreen. It was a classic setup. Just for sentimental sake. Cheers!

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/12/11 09:46 PM

Got my RIBZ in the mail yesterday. Fits pretty good.HJ

I am still waiting for my RIBZ...one of the drawbacks of international shipping that usually takes anywhere up to a week or more depending on shipped item and originating shipping location.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/12/11 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Got my RIBZ in the mail yesterday. Fits pretty good.HJ

I am still waiting for my RIBZ...one of the drawbacks of international shipping that usually takes anywhere up to a week or more depending on shipped item and originating shipping location.
Well, I'm only three hours drive away from the shipper, so it's hardly a surprise that I'd get mine quickly. Hang in there...

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/12/11 10:13 PM

Man, that guy in the orange looks like Mr. Gadget! I can't imagine dangling all that stuff off of myself. Keep it simple and KEEP it. My experience has been that anything tied or clipped on will either come off and be lost or be in the way a lot.
Yeah, especially the compass looks vulnerable to me. I want my compass in a solid pouch with a solid lanyard, not one of those little retractable jobs.

On another note, Jim 110 stoves?? I thought I had a problem with 15 or so. You are not only an expert you are a record holder!
No where near my friend, no where near. Go browse some of the stove collector websites some time. I'm a light weight.

I am surprised that a Svea 123 is your favorite. Those that I had were way too fiddly for my taste and unreliable.
Unreliable? The Svea 123? Compared to what? The Svea 123 is the Rock of Gibraltar of stoves. There's only one moving part on the orginal model: the valve. Even the Svea 123R that came out in the 70's is little different. If you want a more reliable stove, maybe the Trangia (25 or 27), but not much else.

Maybe you got a lemon?

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/13/11 05:13 PM

Well, the whole story on the Svea 123 stove that I owned..it was the older style that you had to constantly remove the brass valve and poke a special needle through it to clean the carbon out. During that process at some point the valve was overtightened and it had a hairline crack in it. Every time you tried to get the stove going it would fizzle out. I nearly threw it off a cliff but did not want to litter. I found out later that the cause of the problems was the cracked valve and replaced it and also added the little pump and cap to provide pressure for startup.

I think my real issue with it was the height and pot stability. I was also doing a lot of winter mountain hiking on snowshoes and Nordic skis and it just wasn't all that happy in the cold.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/13/11 10:20 PM

Anyone think it looks like two purses stuck under your armpits or like the Donald Duck water wings/life preservers in the military?

Not that there is anything wrong with a guy carrying a purse, or two.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/14/11 11:26 AM

I think the thing that the RIBZ system does is that it is politically neutral in appearance. But it isn't flexible- it is a decent sized possibles bag, and one you can wear under a jacket. The problem is pockets in the older model one I've looked at were layered- I've never liked that, becuase unless you are packing flat stuff, you know that what goes into pocket A will take space out of pocket B, but that is a personal preference. And the whole thing is fixed. Yes, that saves weight, but I like being able to strip gear down to what I need.

As others have said, military-type gear has been doing this for a long time. I've had my MAV since 2005, and I've set that up with everything from slim pockets that hold basically my wallet, pocket items, PSK, FAK and a spare flashlight for when I'm just cruising down the river in a tube, to big pockets that when added to a bed roll and a bread bag are pretty much all I need for an over night. I can even, by removing the back panel and letting the strap out, wear it behind me, as a lumbar pack.

*shrugs* I'd rather get get the glare of hippies and have flexibility, but YMMV. I love the concept though, because it does move mass up front which helps to move your center of gravity forward some. Although I also have, when it is fully loaded, about 8-10 pounds in my MAV, which is going to move my center of mass probably a good inch or two forward. *laughs*

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/15/11 03:05 AM

Well, the whole story on the Svea 123 stove that I owned..it was the older style that you had to constantly remove the brass valve and poke a special needle through it to clean the carbon out. During that process at some point the valve was overtightened and it had a hairline crack in it. Every time you tried to get the stove going it would fizzle out. I nearly threw it off a cliff but did not want to litter. I found out later that the cause of the problems was the cracked valve and replaced it and also added the little pump and cap to provide pressure for startup.
Well, that's really unusual behavior for a Svea 123 that you would have to clean it frequently -- unless you were using automotive gasoline instead of "white" gasoline (e.g. Coleman fuel). I think you may mean that you had to remove the burner bell to clean it. If you were truly removing the valve to clean it, uh, no offense, but you were doing it wrong. smile If it got a crack, then indeed it wouldn't hold pressure and would not work properly, but that (a crack) is fairly rare also. They're really tough stoves.

I think my real issue with it was the height and pot stability. I was also doing a lot of winter mountain hiking on snowshoes and Nordic skis and it just wasn't all that happy in the cold.
Using a stove that relies on thermal feed back in the snow is going to be tough, but the little mini pump should have taken care of that. The stove is a little high, so I can see how you might indeed have some challenges there.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Too bad I wasn't along. I could have shared some of my tips and tricks, and I'd have enjoyed the skiing. wink The Svea 123 has been a real work horse for me, needing very little maintenance.

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/15/11 03:11 AM

Thanks Jim. Msybe I should find another Svea 123 and give it a second go. I am older, wiser and gererally more patient now:) I wish they still made the cookset with the windscreen and all. I shoulda kept mine! Cheers!

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/15/11 03:17 PM

Thanks Jim. Msybe I should find another Svea 123 and give it a second go. I am older, wiser and gererally more patient now:) I wish they still made the cookset with the windscreen and all. I shoulda kept mine! Cheers!
Those old cooksets (I assume you mean the Sigg Tourist cookset) are really nice. I still use mine. It's a very stable platform for bigger pans like when you want to fry up some trout or cook pancakes. You can still get them on eBay, but a complete set in good condition typically commands a pretty good price. People know about those cooksets.

However, a Svea 123 in and of itself can be had for sometimes less than $30.00. One in good condition will command more, but I've managed to get several "ugly duckling" Svea 123's for less that shined up well and made very good stoves.

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/16/11 11:26 AM

I don't want to hijack this thread, but my Ribz pack showed up today. grin Had to work late so I haven't had a chance to really look it over but I will tomorrow.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/17/11 06:12 PM

Finally found the time to load up the Ribz and compare it to what I had been carrying for just day walks, which was a Camelbak with cargo room.

These first two pics are what I carried in the Camelbak. The small items get put into the blue pouches. The big items, like the GPS, flashlight, poncho and flask end up in pockets of their own on the Ribz. I admit the gear selection needs some work so bear with me.

FAK stuff

General items

All packed in the Ribz except for flashlight which is attached to a strap on the front for easy access.

The Ribz and a new 2L hydration pack with no real cargo room

replace this.

and on me looks like this (oy, sorry about that)

Pro's:
Holds a lot of stuff, internal and external pockets so everything has its place and it is easy to find individual items. The blue pouches are about 6x10" and fit nicely.

Straps are not uncomfortable at this load and are soft and flexible.

Con's:
The straps are thin and flexible which means they tend to twist easily and can get turned around, expecially on your back.

Putting the darn thing on is not intuitive for me but I'm just clumsy.

It is warm, I was feeling the heat just standing in my office. Might not use this in really warm weather.

One tip, do as the website says and load it up before you fit the straps. Adding stuff really does change the way it feels and rides. Once I get a chance to take out in the field I'll let you know if it was worth the $40. My hope is that makes it easier to get things when I need them (just reach into the pockets instead of taking off the camelbak and rummaging around). Also I usually have my dog on leash so being able to get to things without letting go of the leash should be helpful.

Andy

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/17/11 06:16 PM

Cool. Thanks, Andy. Keep us posted.

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/17/11 07:49 PM

I'll admit, not a fan, but have these questions.

1. What happens when you fall forward onto the RIBZ?
Both to your stuff and you. It looks like it would be painful.

2. Is there backing on the pockets to allow for airflow?

Looks to me like you are replacing one item (Camelback daypack) with two items, the Ribz and the Camelback w/o storage.

I think I'll stick with my C'back daypack.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/17/11 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: JBMat
1. What happens when you fall forward onto the RIBZ? Both to your stuff and you. It looks like it would be painful.
If you had sharp objects, they'd probably poke you, same as if you had a knife strapped to the front of your backpack's shoulder strap or any other piece of gear. Nothing unique here.

No.

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/17/11 11:57 PM

Andy, you're wearing it about 2" too low. Some people like it right on the ribs as it's intended, but others prefer it to be around the abdomen. I go somewhere inbetween. It's a lot like a car. You gotta find just where you like your seat over a series of weeks. Lol.

Izzy, I have been playing around with it and haven't quite found the ideal placement. I tried it higher but as a 'rounder' guy it seems to fit better under my arms a little lower down. As the French say "a chacun son gout".

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/18/11 01:28 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately not, during warm days, hard working getting up a sweat then even the backpack such as the ones shown on the link become very worthwhile such as the Berghaus Freeflow light 32. (the link below shows some nice packs which take the concept even further such as with the new Berghaus FreeFlow Pro)

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-features/ventilated-packs/6328.html?print=true

The Ribz material is also quite unforgiving being a non permeable barrier layer as well, which wraps all the way around the front lower torso. If there is anything worse than a sweaty back it has to be a sweaty stomach. blush

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/22/11 09:13 PM

I was able to field test my Ribz over the weekend. Overall not a bad product and after a bit of tinkering with the traps, the pack actually fits me pretty good. I found the pockets are generous in size and allowed me to carry a variety of kit, maps, etc including a DSL camera and an extra lens along with the bear spray canister clipped to the back right strap.

Wearing the Ribz along with a 25 L backpack or a 12 L single shoulder sling pack did not present any fit or rub problems. After testing, I can see where the combination of the Ribz pack and the single shoulder sling pack will pay off on single day hikes as between the two, I can carry a good variety of gear that is easily accessible and not have to stop then remove a traditional backpack for gear access.

My SO also tried the Ribz, however the placement of the front straps rubbed and started to chaff her chest area even after multiple adjustments were made. With a bit of custom work on the straps though, this rubbing would probably be rectified. See below for design enhancements.

Review Summary

Good:
- Generous sized pockets and easy access.

- Easy to adjust front straps (more on this below though)

- Front zipper allows for easy removal and to also unzip slightly to allow some air circulation.

Negatives:
- Straps are flimsy and could be made of higher quality and slightly heavier webbing.

- The pack could use a sternum strap much like the sternum strap in the picture (person in bright orange jacket) that Hikin_Jim posted. This would also help with the chaffing that my SO experienced.

- Waist strap is not easy to adjust (tighten/loosen) once the pack is on and could probably benefit from further thought and design.

Design Enhancement Requests:
- Add a key ring clip to at least one of the inside pockets. I am fanatical about securing my keys in any pack and having the keys just sit in a pocket waiting for a chance to fall out is not conducive to peace of mind.

- Water bottle accessible storage where the waist and back straps attach to the pack pockets would be a good place to have a sleeve for a 750 ML size water bottle. In fact this is one of the first customizations I will be doing my pack in the next week or so.

- Add velcro or zippers to smaller inside pockets. This may be more personal preference, however I like to see any interior or exterior pockets secured in some manner.

Overall the Ribz pack is a good product that I can foresee utilizing on a regular basis and was worth the chance on money spent. With some work and design changes, I would most certainly consider purchasing another pack for my SO.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/22/11 10:12 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Ribz. I haven't had a chance to test mine yet.

I'd love to see your customizations after your finished with them.

HJ

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/22/11 10:49 PM

I just got back from a weekend outing last night. I didn't have time to set the Ribz pack up to take along, either. Maybe I'll have a chance to try mine this week.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/22/11 11:07 PM

I'll admit, not a fan, but have these questions.

1. What happens when you fall forward onto the RIBZ?
Both to your stuff and you. It looks like it would be painful.

Looks to me like you are replacing one item (Camelback daypack) with two items, the Ribz and the Camelback w/o storage.

I think I'll stick with my C'back daypack.

I'm assuming that when falling forward you have a better chance of bracing yourself therefore reducing impact. But still, I'm not keeping sharp objects in it.

As AFL said no airflow backing.

As I said I usually have my dog with me and he's never off leash so it's nice to be able to access the pockets wihtout having to tie him off somewhere so I can get to my pack.

We'll see how it works over the long run.

The straps could be improved.

Re: New Ribz front pack now out - 08/22/11 11:33 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Ribz. I haven't had a chance to test mine yet.

I'd love to see your customizations after your finished with them.

HJ

Jim, I just tried a couple of options with the water bottles. The small sack that the Ribz ships with holds a 1 LT Nalgene bottle with a little room to spare. On the sack, there is a small ring that a carbiner can fit through and I attached this to the left back strap. I found that the weight of the bottle pulled the Ribz down on a angle that made it a bit uncomfortable to wear. I adjusted the straps some so that Ribz rode a little lower and helped a bit but still an idea setup.

Next I tried a 750 ML bottle in a small sleeve I already have and attached in the same manner as the above. This was much better due to the lighter weight of the bottle but still not to my liking.

Next option is to attach the bottle sleeve just to the outer side of the small front, zippered outer pocket. This may just center the weight of the water and bottle so that it does not pull down on an angle towards the back as much. This will have to wait until tomorrow as it is time to go swim some lengths at the pool.