Interesting Find at Office Depot

Posted by: Frisket

Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/06/11 12:07 AM

http://0.tqn.com/d/collegelife/1/0/u/0/-/-/SayItWithVases.jpg

Collapsible Vase's! I bought 2 at 1.50$ each cause they seem useful enough to carry water and "store it" and I say that with quotes since they do not seal shut. They Weight nothing, take no space, cost nothing and sure as heck let you transport more water then cupping your hands.

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/06/11 01:04 AM

They are Near Identical to the Platypus Bottles Nil The Cap. My thoughts are you can easily seal it by splitting a stick making a simple groove and tongue along its flat side and clamping it with line or wire.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/06/11 01:30 AM

Nice find Frisket! I'm looking for a small, packable water carrier to add to my fishing kit. Think I might go check those out. Thanks for the tip!
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/06/11 05:19 AM

Cool. I'll look for 'em next time I'm there.
Posted by: Finn

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/06/11 04:39 PM

Yay! Re-purposed stuff!
Posted by: Basecamp

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/06/11 04:43 PM

Innovative and might do, but incomplete and untested.

Why re-invent the wheel, for less than two bits more per item, Survival Resources has their emergency water bag made for that particular use.

http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/1%20Qt.%20Emergency%20Water%20Bag.htm
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/06/11 05:56 PM

It does not look like it will hold a quart of water. I'll wager 2-3 cups capacity.

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/06/11 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Basecamp

Why re-invent the wheel, for less than two bits more per item, Survival Resources has their emergency water bag made for that particular use.

Not Re-Inventing anything. Not everyone has the ability to purchase from the internet nor does everything have to be 100% survival oriented. This is Simply a good alternative to transporting water. Also Id Rather stock up on smaller bags then one giant quart sized bag. One puncture and there is your entire quart of water on the ground.

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 12:10 AM

Why re-invent the wheel...

Wheels are not all created equal, even those destined for the same purpose.

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Frisket

Not Re-Inventing anything. Not everyone has the ability to purchase from the internet nor does everything have to be 100% survival oriented. This is Simply a good alternative to transporting water. Also Id Rather stock up on smaller bags then one giant quart sized bag. One puncture and there is your entire quart of water on the ground.

That’s true…to each his own and I hope it works for you. I took that you meant it as a survival item because… this is under a sub-heading of The Survival Forum. For myself, I might test it too, but wouldn’t label it as a good alternative until it was tested. It is a good, time tested idea to put smaller quantities spread around your person or gear in case something happens to one of them (old pilot's method). It just depends on how you want to prioritize your gear and what gear you have to choose from. If someone offers something as a good idea, and I see that it might not be as safe as an alternative that they might not be aware of and seems as easy to obtain, I will try to let you know. In the end, there are no guarantees no matter what you do, just levels of advantage.

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Why re-invent the wheel...

Wheels are not all created equal, even those destined for the same purpose.

True, that’s why I believe it’s good to consider all the options that you are aware of as being available and decide what will serve you best for your purpose.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 01:05 AM

Call me a dissenter if you will.

If your life or others come down to using a collapsible vase for water storage then I really question this inclusion in any person's kit. When it comes to survival and PSK items, yes there are some things to be cheap on or innovative, however water storage is not one of them. Spend the $5.00 or so and buy a properly designed, collapsible water bottle (or 2) as one day when the chips are down and mother nature is dealing you a bad card, you will be thankful that you were properly equipped to survive...

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 02:26 AM

Id like to simply point out that this was posted Under the "Around the campfire" section and not once did I State This is a PSK/Survival Item. Sorry to sound to defensive but My original context is already being miss interpreted multiple times.

The Item is a Vessel to transport water, Much like a bucket or a cup, Not a Bottle or sealed bag. Would it be Decent for a Survival situation? Yes It could have its uses such as collecting water and letting the particulates settle before filtering and placing into your actual Carry method such as a Platypus, Water Bag from that website posted Or my personal choice Lansinoh Milk Bags.

[(Around The Campfire) "A place for Chit Chat about life or subjects of interest other than Survival or Emergency Preparedness"]

Im starting to think we need a Section For "Camping and Camping Gear Talk".
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 03:04 AM

Id like to simply point out that this was posted Under the "Around the campfire" section and not once did I State This is a PSK/Survival Item. Sorry to sound to defensive but My original context is already being miss interpreted multiple times.

Fair enough. If you did not purchase the product as a survival related reason, perhaps you can elaborate why someone (outside a survival situation and the uses you already described) would want to use such a product in every day life other then for it's original intended use.

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 04:39 AM

I am honestly Flabbergasted at this.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 05:15 AM

It's still better than using a silly condom as a water container!

Interesting find, Frisket!

And water isn't all it will hold, either.

Sue

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 06:01 AM

I am honestly Flabbergasted at this.

If I upset you, it wasn't meant to be taken that way. I look at forums as a place to exchange info, and make our experiences safer for the exchange. Not everyone's going to agree. Some things are more important than others; when I see something that I think is a bad idea and can lead to a problem, I sometimes put my .02 in. I'll stand by what I've said, without any intent to flabbergast, just with some concern.

For the most part, I don't think most folks here know each other personally; so the best we can do is try to weight the thoughts an suggestions offered by each other.

...I would probably get into more trouble trying to point out that condoms are tested against leakage and are used by and recommended by military personel
...and I have never seen floral bags listed by those folks for that use... but, like I said, to each his own...:)

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 04:11 PM

I was more Flabbergasted at being asked to explain what the uses are for a Item that CARRIES WATER.

On A Second note the condom has been replaced time and time again as it is a outdated and difficult measure (While yes still useable and does the job to a point). Not to mention it has easily been replaced by the Water bag you brought up earlier.

The "Floral" bag is Literally nothing more then a Platypus without a cap. How do I know this? Well cause I Own BOTH! And the material is near identical of course minus the exact shape and printed design.

And just for fun =D

Id Love to see how bacpacjac would react to a suggestion to use a condom instead of a pretty floral vase to carry water while fishing with her kids. "Ok Kids We need some water so here take mommy's magnums and go fill um for her" Not..gonna..happen..lol

And Id love to hear the critics when the first military guy proposed to use a condom for water. Youre gonna use THAT......To carry your water in......Good luck with that..........

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 05:20 PM

And just for fun =D

Id Love to see how bacpacjac would react to a suggestion to use a condom instead of a pretty floral vase to carry water while fishing with her kids. "Ok Kids We need some water so here take mommy's magnums and go fill um for her" Not..gonna..happen..lol

LOL!! Right you are Frisket!

I have some condoms in my kits, but I've been scratching my head trying to figure out something for my DS and my Cub Scouts' survival kits. A condom opens a great big can of worms that I'm not ready for, especially as a Scout leader. Just imagine the reaction I'd get from parents!

What is they say? Necessity is the mother of invention? I settled on ziplock bags until I saw this thread. I WILL check these vases out. Thanks again for the tip!

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 05:35 PM

I have some condoms in my kits, but I've been scratching my head trying to figure out something for my DS and my Cub Scouts' survival kits. A condom opens a great big can of worms that I'm not ready for, especially as a Scout leader. Just imagine the reaction I'd get from parents!

What is they say? Necessity is the mother of invention? I settled on ziplock bags until I saw this thread. I WILL check these vases out. Thanks again for the tip!

Only warning is they do not seal and at the location i purchased them in they were all "Froo Froo Frilly" So the boys may be alittle put off by um. The one thing that has always been a concern in scouts was cost so Im sure a large group of good options are off the list due to their price. Mothers milk bags Im positive are off the list as well for I am sure they would bring up just as many questions as a condom and concern from the parents. You can always try to get the parents together to purchase the water bag from the survival site. For the price they are still inexpensive and a better option for full blown survival reasons. Tho Im sure Kids will find many fun uses around the camp for the "vases" specially if the grounds has a swimming hole or fishing hole.

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 05:35 PM

Only warning is they do not seal and at the location i purchased them in they were all "Froo Froo Frilly" So the boys may be alittle put off by um. The one thing that has always been a concern in scouts was cost so Im sure a large group of good options are off the list due to their price. Mothers milk bags Im positive are off the list as well for I am sure they would bring up just as many questions as a condom and concern from the parents. You can always try to get the parents together to purchase the water bag from the survival site. For the price they are still inexpensive and a better option for full blown survival reasons. Tho Im sure Kids will find many fun uses around the camp for the "vases" specially if the grounds have a swimmign hole or fishing hole

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 06:16 PM

Price and uncomfortable conversations are definitely issues, Frisket, especially when it comes to other people's kids. We simply need to give a wide berth to some things. wink

You're probably also right that the floral design might cause distress for some of the boys. Using one as an example might get their imaginations going though, and help them find their own solution.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 07:49 PM

If your boys are too 'delicate' to deal with flowery containers, the Say It with Vases site (not much info) shows solid color vases, too.

And another site had leopard print. I guess you have to shop around.

Sue

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/07/11 08:32 PM

Thanks Sue!
Posted by: Aussie

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/08/11 02:42 AM

I have an oven bag for collapsible water storage. These are quite robust, you can drop them without bursting; rest them on the ground as long as they are not overfilled; since they are basically a plastic bag, they can be used for other purposed too; and they are cheap.

I favour the large size and find that it will comfortable hold 1 to 2 litres of water.

Just to clarify, these are the clear plastic bags which you can buy to roast a chicken etc in, in the oven.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/08/11 04:21 AM

Those large size oven bags are the hot ticket,they fold down quite small,actually small enough to fit into a Doug Ritter PSK! You can mark them with a sharpie-2 3/4" from the bottom up,That measurement comes out to 1-Liter for MP-1 tab use for purification & These bags can handle boiling water,as well! Survival Resources also has some very good bags to choose from,as well as tried/tested info regarding the large size turkey bags.It's where I obtained my info above.I have No affiliation with above mentioned products,other than being a Well satisfied customer!
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/08/11 08:00 AM

I'm a big fan of these and these, both from Survival Resources (by John McCann). The former are very robust and pack down into an extremely small space. The latter are very, very durable and can be used for fairly long term use.

The only gripe I have is that there's a "handling" charge over and above the shipping cost. That's a crappy way to conduct business, IMO, especially if you only sell online. It's like McDonalds charging you to put your "to go" order into a bag. Still, they sell good quality product and the service is good, so I don't like it but I deal with it.

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/08/11 10:12 AM

Thanks guys. I'll check them out!
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/08/11 11:57 AM

Great idea.

Thank you for finding and pointing out another option.

Pete
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/08/11 05:51 PM

My 2¢

We preppers don't find all what we want exactly as we want it in a survival situation. Even the hundreds of sharp edges ( knives, khukris ..etc. ) in the market , which are considered as item #1 foe survivalists/preppers, aren't enough to cover everyone's needs as they would like.

So, when someone finds an item that can serve some purpose, my own humble opinion is , after thanking him/her, is to think it over and over and perhaps extract evn more uses from such an item, that is foldable, small, cheap, and certainly useable.

I can think of a few uses for this collapsable vase.

* Moral booster for little daughters in a fightening situation
We always read about "sense of normalsy" in a survival situation. Its one of the purpose of fire, or candy, cards , coffe/tea ..etc. in a PSK. Having a colorful vase is not a bad idea in such a situation, especially a soft collapsable one.

* Can be used for things other than water. How about collecting berries or even storing candy for little ones ?

* Remember that a condom is used for several other uses than carrying water ??? It can be used to cap a rifle barrel to prevent debris from getting in without obstructing a quick shot at a deer or bird. This "vase" can be used to cover several things. I don't know the size, but if it was the right size, it maybe used as glove/mitten when you dip your hand in questonable waters, especially in floods and polluted waters.

A prepper should have an open mind and should use energy of the mind trying to expand what has been proposed ,,,

Again, its just my 2 ¢
Posted by: ducktapeguy

Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot - 08/09/11 06:56 AM

Not sure if these are the same type, but I have some very similar to these that were bought at a county fair a long time ago that look almost identical. You can mold the shape with hot water, kinda like kydex. You put hot water in, shape it however you want, then pour in cold water and it locks the shape in place. I dunno if that makes it any more useful, but you can't do that with a condom.