Posted by: Andy

Let me at those dandelions! - 07/22/11 12:28 PM

Gotta be more fun than using a hoe...
Blasting weeds!

(Link to video on MSNBC.COM)

Loved the 'researcher speak'.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Let me at those dandelions! - 07/22/11 07:19 PM

Dandelions, of course, are loaded with vitamins and minerals far beyond most commercially farmed greens. Almost the entire plant is edible, with each part having a peak season for flavor: roots in the winter and early spring, new leaves in early spring and summer, flowers either just before or after they open as flavoring in hot or cold drinks, or use in things like omelets and fritattas.
Posted by: PSM

Re: Let me at those dandelions! - 07/22/11 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste
Dandelions, of course, are loaded with vitamins and minerals far beyond most commercially farmed greens. Almost the entire plant is edible, with each part having a peak season for flavor: roots in the winter and early spring, new leaves in early spring and summer, flowers either just before or after they open as flavoring in hot or cold drinks, or use in things like omelets and fritattas.

Don't forget Dandelion Wine. wink
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Let me at those dandelions! - 07/23/11 12:43 PM

I read this and thought I'd share:

"How to Deep Fry Dandilions"
http://mobile.salon.com/food/feature/2011/07/23/scavenger_fried_flowers/index.html
Posted by: Blast

Re: Let me at those dandelions! - 07/25/11 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Andy
Gotta be more fun than using a hoe...
Blasting weeds!

(Link to video on MSNBC.COM)

Loved the 'researcher speak'.

That was (unintentionally) hysterical! Though it gives me some ideas for my next foraging class...I wonder if I could get paintballs filled with a nice red wine/vinaigrette salad dressing?

-Blast
Posted by: dweste

Re: Let me at those dandelions! - 07/25/11 02:56 AM

Blast, do you have Tomcat Clover in your neck of the woods?

[Its blossoms deliver a big lemon-balsamic hit to fresh-foraged green and blossom mixes.]