Firesteel.com Prices

Posted by: ireckon

Firesteel.com Prices - 07/18/11 03:36 AM

Does anybody know why the prices at Firesteel.com went way up? They priced themselves out of the market. At least for me they did.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 07/18/11 04:13 AM

Try Lake Samish trading post on ebay,I've been buying from them for a Long time,much cheaper-same product,Xlnt service!Standard disclaimer-No Affiliation though a Happy customer,I am!

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 07/18/11 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Try Lake Samish trading post on ebay,I've been buying from them for a Long time,much cheaper-same product,Xlnt service!Standard disclaimer-No Affiliation though a Happy customer,I am!

How do I get there? I searched Ebay without success.
Posted by: widget

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 07/18/11 07:15 PM

I sure did notice that, almost double on some items and over double on some others. Can't understand why but I'm afraid I am done at these prices. I am set on ferrocium firesteels for awhile. I did want one of the huge ones as a gift, but there is no way at the present price. Bummer!
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 07/18/11 07:36 PM

Only an email to firesteel.com may tell you why their prices have gone up unless someone here has inside info.

In the past I have purchased firesteel rod blanks from Goinggear.com and a cursory check of some of their comparable product and prices are a bit, but not much lower then firesteel.com.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 07/18/11 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Does anybody know why the prices at Firesteel.com went way up? They priced themselves out of the market. At least for me they did.

Look up the chemical composition of these rods.

Then, Google "rare earth" and "China" :-0
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 07/19/11 01:28 AM

Ouch! That's quite a bump. I'm set pretty well but I still planned on getting a few more. Guess I might pass now.
Posted by: widget

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 07/19/11 01:59 AM

I bought a handful of these a few years ago and they work perfectly. As good as any other I have tried. They have gone up too but still very affordable and free shipping worldwide.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wilderness-survival-fire-sparkle-blade-cutter-tool-large-32760
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 07/19/11 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

Look up the chemical composition of these rods.

Then, Google "rare earth" and "China" :-0

Good post Doug. Found this interesting info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_earth_element
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 07/19/11 05:21 PM

The firesteel ranger is the same size as the swedish firesteel and yet still 1/3 the price. still affordable to me. Most retail firesteels in my local stores are priced higher at 10-15$ and usually are the same size or smaller.

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 07/19/11 08:00 PM

Good point, Frisket. They're still a good deal, maybe they were underpriced before. They're certainly good steels and the customer service is top notch.
Posted by: kevingg

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 07/24/11 03:03 PM

thank you very much for this; they have just found a new customer!!
Posted by: 2Ton

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 08/01/11 03:36 PM

Oh

I see you are talking about me. I registered here a while back and forgot where I was. blush.

But I'm the guy at LakeSamishTradingPost DotCom

If folks would stop buying those hybrid car batteries, maybe us flint sellers could keep up with the outrageous price changes in rare earth metals

My Chinese factory is small and seems quite timid when it comes to making different sizes, so we pretty much just order what they have on hand.

Then, one of my biggest flint customers and magnesium suppliers had an explosion in his plant; one of his guys wound up in the hospital with 3rd degree burns. You shouldn't smoke in a magnesium factory, BTW. But, if you do, don't throw your spent match into the chip barrel.

OK, nuff said. I'd love to hear from any of you and I promise to follow this board more closely from now on.

Keep warm

2Ton Bob
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 08/01/11 05:19 PM

Wow - I hand't looked at Firesteel.com in a few months. Those are astounding price increases!

I bought a bunch from them last fall. At this rate of firesteel inflation they may deserve a place in the safe next to the Krugerrands.

Think I'll double up on the Bic lighters -- still running about $1 each?
Posted by: Basecamp

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 08/02/11 07:41 PM

I've been meaning to order some of their smaller firesteels to test for a project. After a couple of years of procrasti

nation, this thread finally provided the push that was needed. Firesteels were ordered, a confirmation message was received that day and the firesteels arrived about a week later (cross-country).

Still a good deal, considering what they do!

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 03/04/12 03:05 AM

I didn't think this question is worthy of a new thread:

Has anybody ever took a hacksaw to shorten a ferro rod? I have some rods that are about 4", and I want to cut one for a kit. I don't want to ruin a good rod if it's a dumb idea.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 03/04/12 03:28 AM

Talk too kevingg, Im sure he does for his BSB.
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 03/04/12 03:35 AM

Has anybody ever took a hacksaw to shorten a ferro rod? I have some rods that are about 4", and I want to cut one in have for a kit. I don't want to ruin a good rod if it's a dumb idea.

Yeah, I have cut a few down (from firesteel.com) in order to put handles on them. No issues with sparks if that's what you were wondering. Now using a drill to make a lanyard hole is another story. Don't attempt that around anything flammable.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 03/04/12 04:50 AM

Has anybody ever took a hacksaw to shorten a ferro rod? I have some rods that are about 4", and I want to cut one for a kit. I don't want to ruin a good rod if it's a dumb idea.

I have shortened one with a hacksaw. I put it in a bench vise and it worked just fine. Sparked a little though.

Re: Firesteel.com Prices - 03/18/12 10:50 AM

Sorry to reanimate an old thread, but upon reflection their products are so good that I'll deal with the increase. Since the OP I've bought six more products from them. The service is great and they offer some really crazy-innovative products (if you haven't checked since the first post, look at their Fire Toggles).

Yeah, the increase sucks but at least the products are as good as anything out there, IMO.